All Comments on 'Training Luke'

by ASecret0922

Sort by:
  • 3 Comments
Vulcan_in_OhioVulcan_in_Ohioover 10 years ago
This was too short

The title, "Training Luke," suggests to the reader that "Training Luke" is the subject of the story. Luke is not trained, he is simply brought in for possible training, so the assumption is that more parts (chapters) will follow. So this story's title should have been, "Training Luke, Ch 01." Some readers (myself included) prefer to wait for all of the story to be completed before starting it; failing to inform the reader that only an introduction is posted is not a good start.

The author admits there was no sex in this part, almost as an afterthought, or maybe an apology. Others put that disclaimer at the start, so the reader looking for something erotic can move on. A story is a form of art that in part involves communication. The issues I raise are all about that; namely, communicating up front with the audience rather than in a passive-aggressive manner. I would encourage you to keep writing but suggest giving your story to an editor for impartial review before posting. Best of luck.

mel_pomenemel_pomeneover 10 years ago
This seemed pretty good

Unfortunately, you didn't give us very much to 'get our teeth into' - it was too short to convey much about your writing skills or your characters, but overall, and taking into consideration that it was your first story segment, you did quite well. I would like to read more and I don't think you need to be casting around for ideas yet - just let them develop - and do consider looking for a more experienced editor to help you with your work.

Thank you and please have four stars - and keep writing!

SomethingInTheWaySheMovesSomethingInTheWaySheMovesover 10 years ago
I blinked. What did I miss?

There's "testing the waters" to see if something will be received well, and then there's ...this. You'd have to submit something three or four times longer than ...this, to qualify as "testing the waters". Way too short to make a determination about whether or not it's worth continuing. Too short to decide whether or not you have writing skills. Too short for a reader to even consider starting to wonder if they should bother to decide whether to not they should spend the time developing an "opinion".

Is this sinking in? Are you reading the other comments?

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous