Tranford Tales - Mary

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Oh, we met someone in the Community Centre, an older person," said Clive.

"Oh yes, that's Bernie. He's not trans or gay or anything. He just likes wearing dresses. You should see him at parties in a frilly pink one. Everyone's very fond of him, and he keeps the Community Centre spotless."

"Would you like to talk to some of the other residents? We don't normally ask about gender matters, but some might volunteer. Some have had a very painful journey, so we respect privacy, but chat about anything else."

We basically had a walk around and I admired a couple of gardens and spoke to the person tending them. We went into the shop which was run by an Indian couple where the man was wearing a sari and makeup and the woman was in slacks. They asked if we were buying one of the remaining houses. We were introduced to some others. Jerry and Clive often talked together while we were speaking with the residents.

After a final drink in the pub (soft for me, since I was driving back) we went home.

Clive was really happy and thanked Dominic for the trip.

"Did you see how they were just ordinary people?" he said, enthusiastically in my direction.

"Did you see how they all had jobs?" I replied, which shut him and Dominic up for a while.

My former husband had also been taking note.

"You know, if we moved here, it wouldn't be that far to commute."

"I'm not commuting," I said firmly.

"You wouldn't have to. Your company's got a big office in the city. Didn't they offer you a place and a promotion, but you turned it down because we'd have to move."

"Because you didn't want to commute," I replied.

"Suddenly you do - I wonder why. Anyway, that was then. They filled the post years ago."

"I live in Tranbrook," piped up Dominic. "I could see Clive quite often."

You poor sod, I thought. Still, maybe if you and Clive decide to be gay, you'll be back where you started. Just do it in your own place.

CHAPTER 6

Mother love overcame my good sense. I blame it on the menopause rotting my brain.

I actually asked about the possibility of a transfer at work. And was told there was nothing available, and anyway they were happy with me where I was.

Meanwhile, the man who wanted to be my wife had remembered a leaflet from a local estate agent expressing an interest in our house. Its most desirable feature is being in the catchment area for a good school. (So why had we let Chrissie persuade us to send her to that toffy-nosed one?)

He had also got the details of the houses in Tranford, which I had to admit looked good.

However, the most immediate event was Clive's surgery. Which was doubtless as uncomfortable as any radical mastectomy, but was viewed more positively than I would have.

Dominic provided emotional support in buckets, and even a tiny bit of help with the housework. (Just his and Clive's room and things, of course.) Jerry came to visit a couple of times, which was appreciated.

When he was fully recovered, Clive was definitely happier. (I think I'd have killed him otherwise.)

The hormones had made a difference. His skin was worse, and maybe there was something less female about his face. Less Chrissie, in fact, to my sorrow, though I tried not to let on.

At least I was able to praise him for shaving off that stupid moustache and getting a decent haircut. I gleefully reminded him that both grandfathers were bald, which took the smile off his face.

Wonder of wonders, Dominic made an announcement.

"I finished a law degree with the Open University, and I've been offered a job.

"That's good," I said. "Do they accept online degrees then?"

"No, only from the Open University. It's a proper LLB, bachelor of law, a qualifying law degree, same as from other universities. It's just taken me six years being part-time."

I was surprised to find it was true. He hadn't been entirely useless, it seems.

From then on I began to suspect a conspiracy.

The job I had been offered before actually became available again, as the person who'd got it had decided to move on, and I was given first refusal.

My once-upon-a-time husband did not have to say anything. His puppy-dog eyes and incompetent attempts to be nice to me led me to say yes, if I could sort out housing.

All too soon we had an offer from an estate agent and I was dragged to Tranford to inspect a house.

I tried hard, but could find only one fault.

It had four bedrooms. We only needed three, as Dominic would be going back to impose on his mother in the modern way.

"Oh no," Clive said. "The fourth is for Dominic! He'll be working close to you. You can drive in together."

Well, I thought, my dream of just me and my husband at last had been scuppered in every possible way, so why not?

It was stressful, like any buying, selling and moving, but I had become pretty used to stress, and actually Dominic was really helpful. (So he bloody well should be!)

But I had to ask him.

"Are you really sure this is what you want? To be living with Clive? Won't it be hard on, you seeing what you could have had? Or do you think he's going to change back some day?"

He was quiet for a while.

"No, I don't think he's going to change back. I loved Chrissie, but there was something wrong and we couldn't work out what it was. She tried some other things as you know, before she realised. She made contact again and over a year or so I understood that she had to become someone else."

"I still care a lot for Clive, and want to be around him, but I don't feel the same as I did with Chrissie."

I actually put my hand on his cheek, and realised how fond I had grown of him.

"You'll find another girl," I said. "And you can go off and make your own life. That's why you shouldn't move in with us. We'd be glad to see you sometimes, of course. Anyway, nice though Tranford is, it isn't exactly full of unattached young people. Use your new job to make friends, and maybe more."

He put his hand on my hand.

"There is someone," he said, "but it's a bit awkward and I don't know how to approach her."

"I think she's very sexy, but she's older than me, and she's married. The thing is her husband no longer sleeps with her, and just wants to be a woman."

I pulled my hand away from his cheek and prepared to slap it.

"Me! You've got to be fucking joking! No, if you are joking, get out this instant because it's not funny!"

We looked at each other for a while.

"I've fancied you for a long time," he said.

"I really wish I could make love to you."

"I did even when I was with Chrissie. Now she's gone, I do even more. You're like her, of course, but more feminine, even before she took the hormones. Who would mind? I think Clive and your husband would be glad if I made you happy. You don't have to love me, but couldn't I be your lover?"

I said no, of course.

I pointed out that we wouldn't be able to have children, and he asked if I would recommend having children to him. I didn't answer.

So we moved, Dominic included. And eventually there was an agreement. Not a formal one or a family session. But the others worked out what was happening.

Eventually the man? who was technically still my husband urged me to take a young lover. And my former daughter recommended his performance.

And I decided what did I have to lose.

My new doctor, unlike my last one, recommended Hormone Replacement Therapy, which benefited me at work and in bed.

I've gone back to accepting the man I married as my husband, though we don't sleep together and he's Lucy at weekends. Otherwise we're the same. Because of the commute he doesn't get much time in the evening to do much other than shave, moisturize and put on a pretty nightie, but I get a while with him on the sofa before then to swap grumbles about the world.

Still, Clive took him/her on as a sort of art project, and I think would get quite high marks. Not Xena, of course, but quite presentable, even outside Tranford, so she actually gets out a bit with suitable company and sensible places. There are a couple of dressmakers here who produce dresses cut to allow for the male figure, and give good advice. In particular not to try too hard or too young. After a couple of false starts, she has a bra and fillings which suit her frame, and can be comfortable all day.

Tranford is fond of parties which give the people who call themselves Tranford wives a chance to glam up, which sometimes goes beyond credibility, but everyone's OK with it. Lucy is an eager participant.

I have to admit my husband is happier. I don't know if he will ever go any further, but guess I will find out come retirement. Maybe we'll both be taking oestrogen.

Clive and Dominic are, I suppose, loving as two brothers. Dominic more so.

In the current absence of a job, Clive is studying part-time and does nearly all of the housework and cooking (which I could never get Chrissie to do). He's actually been out a few times with a nice girl who is a single mother. I've got mixed feelings about how that might turn out, but I'm glad for him.

I like my job, and I'm glad to be a granny with Simon's children. (You can pass them back.)

And I'm very happy with the sex I'm getting from my young lover.

On the whole, Tranford suits me very well.

12