True North

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

As soon as the movie was over, he helped me into the truck while he cleaned up in the back and bagged everything up before covering it and tying it down for the trip home.

When he got in and started the truck, he gave me a wary look before putting it in gear. "You good, baby?" he asked softly. "Say the word and I'll call your dad, have him meet us halfway to take you home. Or I'll stop at a motel?"

I gave him an incredulous look.

"No! NO! God no, I meant each of us! I'd get you a hotel room all to yourself! You could lock the door and sleep till morning or just wait till you feel better, or wait for your dad? Anything you want."

I just shook my head. "It's fine, Riot, let's just go home," I told him, my face heating in embarrassment as I turned to look out the dark window.

He pulled away, but we ended up having to wait an eternity just to get out of the drive-in with all the other cars trying to leave at exactly the same time.

Riot glanced at me several times as we waited there, but said nothing as I yawned again and again.

Finally, as we were finally pulling onto the drive to leave and get on the highway, he reached over and unbuckled my belt.

I gave him a questioning look, but he wasn't looking at my face as he pulled me to lay down with my head on his thigh, then arranged his own sweater over me as I curled up. By the time he pulled onto the highway, I was already asleep with his hand resting on my waist.

I woke when we arrived at my house, Riot giving me a tired smile as he pulled me out of his truck and carried me in.

"I can walk," I mumbled, blinking at the light in the house.

"I know," Riot whispered, punching the code to the door in and going in.

Dad sat up on the couch, his laptop slipping off his lap as he blinked. He'd fallen asleep sitting there.

"True! True, there you are, is she alright?!?" dad asked, ignoring his laptop as he jumped up.

"She's perfect, just tired," Riot promised, bending enough that dad could see me and I could see him.

"You didn't text?" Dad told me and I could see the worry in his features.

"I'm sorry! I fell asleep!"

"She did," Riot agreed. "I thought about waking her, but I figured I'd just get her home as quick as I could and let her sleep in the meantime."

"How was the movie?" dad asked solicitously as he followed Riot back to my room.

"The first one was ok, the second one was icky and funny," I told him, yawning again.

"All home safe and sound," Riot grinned as he laid me in my bed. "I'll go get your stuff, be right back."

He left and dad looked me over again and I could see his stress. He wanted to ask.

"He was nice, dad. The whole time. We had fun and he never laid a hand on me... you know. In that way. He... he did kind of kiss my cheek at one point, but as soon as I said stop he did and apologized. Even offered to take me home if he'd made me uncomfortable. Even offered to get me my own hotel room and call you to come get me if I wanted. He tried very hard to make sure I always felt comfortable and safe."

"And did you? Feel safe?" dad asked haltingly, watching my face carefully. I knew he wanted to say more.

"I don't know... I was a little scared for a minute, but he was real quick to try and make it right... I wasn't completely comfortable the whole time, and I know... I know that it's not fair to..."

I cut off as Riot came in with my pillows and blankets. "Ok, so I think there might be some mountain dew on your blanket, but it's totally not my fault," he grinned. "I can leave it here or take it home and wash it? Bring it back as soon as you feel up to company again?"

"I can wash it," I told him, a little amused.

"Fantastic," he breathed in mock relief. "Last time I washed something, my sheets turned the same blue as my uniform shirt, just a lighter shade. I had fun tonight, babe, thanks for coming with me! Sleep tight and I'll talk to you tomorrow. Umm... if you tell me where they are, I'll get you another blanket before I go?"

"I'll get it," dad spoke up quickly. "Thank you. Goodnight, John."

"Night sir, night True."

"Night," I called after him as he left.

Dad looked me over again, still worried. Stepping out, he came back with a throw blanket from the couch and tucked me in before propping up next to me and looking me over.

"You look... like you had a nice time. Hate to admit it, but you don't look like you were stressed or are on the verge of an episode or anything... and you were calm enough to sleep in his car on the ride home. That says something I guess... But True... something still feels off."

"I know, dad. Like I said, I know he wants something I don't and maybe it's not fair that I let him think there could ever be a chance... but..."

"I know," dad sighed, hugging me close.

My phone chirping surprised me and made me jerk, then blink.

Dad sat up, glaring at the light coming in the window as I dug into my hoodie pocket for my phone.

'Rise and shine!' -Riot

I stared at the text a moment, confused as dad yawned and rolled to sit up on the edge of my bed. He chuckled sleepily. "Last time we slept in the same bed it was because you'd watched some scary clown movie and you were too afraid to sleep in your own bed."

I smiled, remembering and as I did, the doorbell rang.

"Who the hell is that on a Sunday morning?" dad demanded grumpily, getting up and going to the panel on my wall. "Yes?" he asked the speaker after hitting the camera icon for the front door.

"Delivery?" the man answered. "Breakfast from Gail's Bistro?"

"Be right there," dad mumbled, sounding confused.

I got up as well, grinning at my phone.

'What did you do?!?' -True

'Bon appetit,' -Riot

When dad brought the bag in, the smell came with it.

"That smells... amazing," I sighed, falling into a chair at the table.

"Did you order this?"

"Riot," I shook my head.

"What time is it?" dad asked grumpily, pulling the food out.

"Almost 1?" I answered, looking at my phone.

"Crepes! Cherry cheesecake crepes! Oh my word these DO smell wonderful! This one must be yours," he told me, putting a covered plate in front of me. The omelet on the plate was as big as my head, but the smell was coming from the plate. "Is that a fajita omelet?"

"It is," I sighed blissfully, breathing it in.

"Oh my word, I may have to try that!"

"Like I'm going to be able to eat all of this!"

"This is phenomenal! How have we lived here this long and not heard of this place?"

"MmMmm," I shrugged, my mouth full.

I only paused long enough to get some milk for dad and I both.

Twenty minutes later, I pulled my phone out with a deep sigh of satisfaction and a swollen belly.

'That was amazing! Thank you!' -True

'She's only open for breakfast one Sunday a month, usually it's just dinner. I love that place!' -Riot

'Did you like your omelet?' -Riot

'It was so good! And so huge! Dad couldn't even finish it! He loved the crepes too!' -True

'I'm glad! I came to pick up breakfast for mom and I and thought you two might enjoy it as well. Hoped it would be the perfect wake-up!' -Riot

'It was!' -True

'Wish I could come hang today, babe, but my mom asked me to take her into Brunswick to see my Gram. Won't be back until this evening. No watching our show without me! I'll let you know when I get home and can watch!' -Riot

I smiled at my phone then, not really sure what I was feeling at that moment. A little disappointed that he wouldn't be coming over? Or texting much? Or that he hadn't asked me to come?

Why would he? I was the girl he'd gone to jail over, at least for a while. The girl he'd gotten in trouble over. Why would he want me around his family?

And it's not like I would have said yes, that would be awkward... and I didn't want to meet his family or spend time with them, especially since I had no intention of doing anything but passing time with Riot. I wasn't going to get involved with him, not at all. I would just allow the friendship...

That was all.

So why did it sting a little that he hadn't asked me?

If he really liked me as much as he claimed and wanted to make things right, why not ask me to meet his family? Even if I did intend to say no?

"Kiddo?"

I looked at dad and gave him a tight smile. "Yeah?"

"Is that John?"

"Yeah!"

"Tell him thanks, the breakfast was great."

"Sure," I agreed quickly, then related what Riot had told me about the place as I looked down at my phone. What did I want to say? Anything?

'Dad said thanks for breakfast and he intends to become a regular at the Sunday breakfasts from now on,' -True

'NP,' -Riot

I stared at the acronym and wondered if he was going to say more. He was probably driving or something and couldn't really talk...

Putting my phone away, I cleaned up breakfast dishes, then washed my blanket as dad took his laptop back to his office.

I kept my phone close, waiting for a text as I worked. I even took it into the bathroom as I showered.

Dad came into my room around six and my phone hadn't made another sound.

"Hey kiddo! Let's go grab some food and maybe stop in at that book store!" Dad grinned.

I knew he was trying to be there for me in his way, give me someone besides Riot to talk to.

Dinner was an Italian place that had amazing lasagna. I was so wrapped up in my own head, looking down at my phone constantly, it surprised me when dad spoke up about something unrelated.

"So, kiddo... I've been thinking. Did you really mean it when you said you wanted me to meet someone?"

"Yeah! Yes, of course!" I agreed, sitting up. I was a jerk! Here I was wrapped up in my own drama and dad had just had a HORRIBLE breakup! I was the worst daughter EVER!

"So... I hadn't really thought to date after what happened with Greg... Colin and I... it was all this sort of accident. He was the first man I've even really talked to since Greg. I thought... I don't know. I thought maybe you girls wouldn't like it if I dated. I didn't want to go through the whole process and have to have a bunch of guys in your lives and let you get close to someone who might not stay, you know? I thought it was easier to just put both of you first and focus on my job and you... I didn't even realize how much I missed all of it. Then when you said you wanted me to date, wanted to see me happy, I realized I was being unfair to both of you too. We could have had more in our lives, you know?"

"Dad, don't think of it like that! Anyway, that's the past. We can't change that, so we focus on now, remember?"

Dad gave me his pleased grin, the one he always gave me when I spat his own wisdom back out at him. "So anyway, I was thinking... I think I'm going to try dating again. I'm out of practice and I'm going to need SO much help! I'm going to need your eye especially!"

"Dad, I would love that!" I told him, my heart feeling full.

"Good! Good, I'm glad! Because... I downloaded that app C Rosey told me about and there's a few men on here... they've already swiped on me? Whatever it's called. I didn't want to answer any of them until you looked them over!"

I laughed then, sitting up as dad slid his phone across to me. "You're asking the wrong daughter on this one. This online dating thing is all Rose."

"She said you were doing it too?"

"She picked out ONE guy for me and it was Riot," I laughed, looking at the first profile.

"She matched you with John?!? After...?"

"He had a fake profile. I was pretty sure it was him," I agreed as I read about the man in the pictures on dad's phone. "Oh, he likes sushi? Are you sure you trust a gay man who likes raw fish?"

Dad giggled.

I was so surprised, I looked up at him in shock. Dad was NOT the sort to giggle. Laugh or chuckle, yes, but the giggle was...

"You're already talking to him, aren't you?" I asked accusingly, unable to hide the smile.

Dad blushed and bit his lower lip. "I... MAY have tried to pass some time last night?"

"Dad! DAD!" I yelped as his phone went off and a thumbnail of a pic popped up in his notifications. "Oh my GAWD!" I cried, tossing the phone at him and wiping my hands on my jeans. "I can't unsee that!"

"Oh! Oh no no no, you were NOT meant to see that! He said he wouldn't be done with pilates until... oh... it's after 7, isn't it? I'm so sorry, True!"

I couldn't help it, I started giggling hysterically, hiding my face in my arms. After a moment, dad was laughing with me.

We were still grinning and wiping our eyes as we left the restaurant and headed to the bookstore.

"So," dad announced, blushing furiously and not looking at me as we went inside arm in arm. "All of... THAT aside, what did you think of him?"

"Well... I don't know, I guess I would have to meet him? I don't want to judge him, but all of his favorite books he listed are all the ones people claim to read just to be cool. I mean, who LOVES Tolstoy? Millville, maybe, but even that seems... I don't know. Pretentious. Not that it's a bad thing if he's just trying to impress you, really, it's just... I'd rather know the real him than a profile that could be completely fake?"

"That makes sense... but I don't think he's too far off his mark when it comes to the books," dad smiled like he had a secret.

"Does he work here?" I asked, looking around.

"What? No! I mean... I don't think so? He's an English Lit professor at the college! I can see as a professor might need a second job, especially if they love books and want a discount," he chuckled.

"The local college?"

"Yes."

"Dad, are we..."

"Trent?"

Dad spun and looked up at the man who'd called out his name, then smiled shyly. "Ben?"

Ben smiled shyly at dad and I was both irked that dad hadn't told me he was doing this and touched that he wanted me here when he met him the first time.

Clasping each other's wrists, they leaned in and did the fake cheek kiss thing that I'd always thought was so cheesy on TV.

"It's so lovely to meet you! I wasn't sure you'd really show up!" Ben told dad, his whole demeanor glowing. "And this must be one of your daughters you were telling me about?"

"True! True, this is Ben! Ben, this is my daughter True!"

I felt myself blushing, because I actually knew Ben. Sort of. "Hello Professor Proulx," I nodded. "I'm in your Wednesday afternoon zoom class."

"Are you REALLY?!?" Ben asked, taking my hand in both of his. "Well isn't it a small world! And I can hardly believe that, Trent, you do NOT look old enough to have a daughter in college! True... I recall your name now! You're the only sophomore in my class with all the seniors! You're just adorable and I hope that's not the wrong thing to say?" Ben asked worriedly after he'd already said it. "You are, though! Just cute as a bug's ear!" he pronounced joyously, his eyes shining.

I couldn't help but grin. "Thanks," I told him, not taking offense, because I knew he meant none. "And I hope I don't offend you when I say you still throw me every time you speak!"

"Oh, sweetie, I know it! You look and see a tall asian man and then I talk and you hear southern gentleman and the two just do not equate! I hear it ALL the time! Have for just years and years now!"

I thought of something else then, and blushed as I looked away. "How was pilates?"

"It was good? I didn't know you were going to tell her all about me, Trent!" Ben smiled, walking with us as I headed towards my favorite section so we wouldn't be in the way.

"Ahh... ummm... well, full disclosure? She had my phone when you finished pilates."

"Oh, so she... OH! Oh heavens, child, I am SO sorry! If I imagined in a whole hundred years that..."

I waved it off quickly, trying not to flee. "Wasn't the first, won't be the last," I tried to say lightly. "Don't worry about it at all, my dad's a grown man and I'm a grown woman."

I was trying to be blase about it, but in reality my heart was hammering in my chest. I wasn't even really sure why. Ben seemed sweet enough, and not condescending. It wasn't even that I'd seen his dick, I didn't know what it was. Maybe it was being stuck in public in an awkward situation. "Dad said you liked to read, but he didn't tell me much else?" I offered, trying to change the subject.

I rounded the corner to go down the fantasy aisle and froze.

Riot was on the floor, cross legged with a stack of books next to him and right next to him was a young woman. She was talking to him as she looked over her phone and he was focusing on reading the back cover of a paperback as she spoke.

Just as I unfroze and started to back out, Riot looked up.

"True!" he cried out in shock, jumping up quickly.

I looked passed him to the girl still on the floor who looked surprised and annoyed. Was that jealousy I was feeling? White hot?

"Hey! True, wait! Where are you going?" Riot asked quickly, catching up and taking my arm as I started to hurry to the door.

"Let go!"

He let go quickly, yanking his hand back. "True, hold on! Slow down! What's wrong? True, stop, please!"

"John," dad called tersely. "You left your date back there?"

"My what? NO! No, True!! True, that's Lindsey! My cousin? She's up spending the week here while her mom and dad take their second honeymoon? True, she's a Junior in highschool! Look! Look, I was coming to get more of the series that you liked! I was picking out the next one to read and she wanted to come with! She's just my cousin, True!" Riot told me quickly, desperately as I stood at the door, ready to leave.

The girl caught up, looking me over curiously. "Is this her?" she asked Riot.

"Yeah. Yes. True, this is my little cousin, Lindsey. Lindsey, this is my good friend, True."

"I'm not little, John, geez. I'm going to be 17 in two months!"

His cousin. His highschool cousin.

Relief hit me hard enough to make me wilt. I gripped my dad's arm quickly as I managed a nod at the girl.

"Hello."

"Hey," the girl answered, already disinterested as she looked back at her phone.

"True?" Riot called softly. "You good? You're pale, you need to sit down? There's a coffee place here, let's get you a drink, ok?"

Nodding slightly, I let Riot lead me away and sat down at a table with him.

Dad and Ben were right behind us, Lindsey following them like she wasn't sure what else to do.

Dad introduced himself to her, then introduced Ben to both of them.

Riot eased closer to me on the bench seat. "Babe? You ok? Can you look at me?"

I looked at him, my face red with shame and embarrassment.

I'd been jealous, wildly jealous! Of his cousin. Jealous over a man I didn't even want.

Did I?

Why did I feel so confused?

Riot looked my face over, then he relaxed all over, his whole posture changing as his eyes lit up. The tiniest of smiles touched the corner of his lips as he leaned in close to me and hugged me.

"Babe... holy shit! In my whole life I never thought I could feel this much joy over a little flash of jealousy! You don't hate me!" he whispered joyously. "You LIKE me!"

My face burned in shame as I closed my eyes, refusing to hug him back. He didn't seem to mind at all as he laughed silently, squeezing me.

Finally, he released the hug and sat back, but kept his arm around me as he grinned happily and made small talk with Ben and dad.

I didn't shrug him away or tell him to move it, but I was also a bit tense as I sat there.

My emotions made no sense at all to me! I knew beyond a doubt that I did not want to get into a relationship with him, be more than a friend... yet here I was insanely jealous that he'd been with another girl. Upset that he hadn't wanted to bring me around his family. None of it made any sense at all! Was I really that starved for friendship?

By the time dad announced it was time to go, I'd gotten no answers at all.

All I did know was that I liked Ben more than I had Colin.

As I laid down after my shower, my phone went off.