Two Broken Roads Ch. 02

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Her face was oval shaped and highlighting her cheeks were the cutest dimples I had ever seen. A button nose, enticing lips, and classically beautiful chin completed her gorgeous face. I couldn't help feeling that Laura was more beautiful than any actress that came to mind because facial features alone are only a small portion of the picture. Her personality, warmth, caring, positive attitude, personal strength, and confident humility all completed a picture that drew me to her. I found her to be irresistible.

I tore my view away from her eyes and face to observe the rest of her. I guessed she was about 5'6". She was not skinny, but she was a healthy size with perfectly shaped legs leading to a delightful bottom. I never claimed to be an expert in bra sizes so I didn't even try to attach a number, but her breasts were perfectly shaped and sized to fit the rest of her. If I could paint a picture of my ideal woman, it would look like the vision that stood before me.

The more I was around her, the greater the attraction I felt towards Laura. I didn't think I had ever experienced a stronger force. Her physical beauty was now raising up other forces of attraction that both thrilled me and scared the heck out of me. I didn't deserve to be in her presence. I was sure of that. And yet I was there, and she seemed to want me there. I think she knew I was staring at her. She glanced with a smile, then continued the work at hand.

A few moments later, Laura stirred me from my thoughts as she directed her attention towards Mattie and me.

"Mattie, please put that away and get silverware for everybody." Mattie immediately obeyed her mother and again I was impressed. "Ben, would you be so kind... could you get wine glasses in the cabinet behind you and pour some for us?"

We sat around the small circular table that would comfortably seat six people. Laura's spot was across from me when she eventually joined us, and the girls were on each side between us. I expected the girls would dive right in, or at least be talkative and full of energy, but they sat quietly waiting patiently for Laura. My first thought was this seemed almost formal, but I'd learn that it was family etiquette and good manners that Laura had instilled. Dinner was a sharing time. Only one person spoke at a time. This behavior was second nature for them.

As Laura took her seat, she reached for each girl and took a hand. The girls each turned towards me and reached for my hands. My body exploded into goosebumps as we formed this family circle. I wasn't family, of course, but at that moment I was warmly included, and it thrilled my soul. I longed for this feeling for so long, especially since Megan left. This was good. No... better than good. It was incredibly heartwarming.

Laura turned toward Hanna. "Sweetie, would you say the blessing tonight? I think it's your turn."

I expected Hanna would give a typical kid's response. Maybe she'd hem and haw or get embarrassed. Perhaps she'd push back and try to get out of it. I didn't expect what I heard.

"Thanks, Mom!"

She was eager to do this!

"Let's pray! Jesus, thank you for this beautiful day and the fun we had. Thank you for Mom and Mattie and our family. And a special thank you for Mr. Ben being with us. I'm glad he lives next door and is so nice! Thank you for this food and for Mom making one of my favorites. You made everything, God. Thanks for giving us what we need. And everyone says..."

We all join in a hearty, "Amen!"

Hanna and Mattie squeezed my hands and I squeezed back. Hanna and Laura both looked at me with big smiles. My eyes filled but held their moisture with the right amount of blinking. I wanted this feeling to last forever.

Laura thanked Hanna, then started to dish out the source of the divine smell emanating from a very hot dish. Laura had made her special family recipe lasagna. I don't know the secret ingredients, but it was the best I've ever had. Hanna prepared a salad for us as well as a loaf of five-star-restaurant quality garlic bread. The mother/daughter chef team knew what they were doing in the kitchen!

"Mattie, why don't you tell Mr. Ben about your new friend from up the street?"

Mattie launched into a glowing report about her new acquaintance, Shalon. Everyone paid attention to her tale, never interrupting, but asking leading questions so Mattie knew that we all cared about what she had to say.

The consideration they had for each other spoke volumes of how well Laura was raising these two fantastic, beautiful daughters. It spoke to my heart. I was very aware of my growing feelings for Hanna and Mattie, but especially for the lovely woman seated facing me. Despite the terrible past she revealed, Laura had herself together. Her priorities were in order. None of that misery was going to impact her girls. They would grow to be considerate of those around them, polite, focused on the right things, confident in who they were, and they would be secure that they were surrounded by love.

That day I stumbled into a family that loved and behaved the way I always dreamed my family would be. It was not an impossible dream! Laura was proving it could happen, and she was doing it as a single mom with God at her side. How could I not be amazed? Laura was absolutely wonderful.

Hanna talked next and shared about her dance recital a week earlier. She was the featured dancer in the ballet presentation, but she really loved her Broadway class and the performance they gave. I felt bad I missed it. I found myself wishing that day's events had happened two weeks ago, so I would know to be there and watch her. A video was being edited and would be available soon, and Hanna was really excited for me to watch it. I wanted to share that time with her too.

I was immersed in a family atmosphere that thrilled me to the core. After each girl finished sharing their dinner update, Hanna turned her attention to me.

"Mr. Ben, what kind of stuff do you like to do?"

"Besides talking to three beautiful girls and eating lasagna?"

It may have sounded like I was joking, but that activity was now on the top of my list.

Hanna rolled her eyes and blushed while Laura stifled a spit-take.

"Come on... what do you like?"

I started the serious portion of the list with golf, baseball, football and the like. The list got longer... and longer... and a lot sillier as Hanna and Mattie laughed uncontrollably. "I like naming clouds... chasing butterflies... watching dogs talk to cats... watching cats ignoring them... blowing bubbles... catching them. You know, normal stuff!"

I noticed Laura watching the scene in front of her. She had her elbows on the table and her wrists crossed and held just under her chin, almost like she was hugging herself. Her face was glowing, and her eyes glistened. She loved what she was witnessing, and you could read her sense of contentment.

Everyone at the table had their time of undivided attention. Laura then let the girls lead the chatter at the table. The pace of the conversation was high energy but still always respectful. We were getting comfortable with each other. And the best part? Laura and I continually shared glances. They clearly held a deep and growing meaning for us both. Mattie still seemed oblivious to the chemistry forming, but Hanna shared happy looks with both her mother and me. There was a joy growing within me that wanted to burst out and spread to the whole world. My emotional stamina was tested to the limits, and I loved it.

I forced Laura to let me help with cleanup while the girls went into the family room to play and watch TV. I wanted to be alone with Laura to share what dinner meant to me.

"You really don't need to help, Ben! You're our guest."

I finished bringing dishes from the table. "So do guests rinse, or load the dishwasher?"

"Okay." She rolled her eyes and faked exasperation. "It's the guest's choice."

"I'm a semi-professional rinser!" She pretended to be impressed.

We started our tasks as I considered what I wanted to say.

"Laura, you may not believe when I say this, but that was the most amazing dinner I've ever had!"

"Please!" She groaned. "That was just a quick and simple family favorite."

I laughed a little. "The food was excellent and really added to my impression of the meal." I captured her gaze with my hands still in the sink. "But it was everything else that really made it amazing!"

She tried to look inquisitive as if she wasn't sure what I meant, but I think she knew exactly.

"Hanna and Mattie... how well behaved they are with self-control beyond their years... the obvious love and consideration you all share... the warmth... the please-and-thank-you politeness... those two are something else! And how you are with them is... Wonderful!" I chuckled a little. "I almost said unbelievably wonderful, but it's not. It's completely believable! It was like watching an example of how a family should be, but it was real. I can't begin to tell you how that touched me!"

She put her hand over mine to say thank you, but she couldn't say it yet. Her pause let me finish. I recaptured her gaze.

"Laura, I'm getting to know a wonderful, strong, amazing woman and mother today. I feel incredibly privileged to even be standing here with you. I really needed this, and I'm so grateful you welcomed me here!"

She looked at me with glistening eyes that started to dampen contour of her cheeks. She reached over and gave me a strong, long embrace as I pulled her into me. This wasn't a comforting hug like earlier. This was clearly our first embrace of affection. Our hands were wet, but it didn't matter. We were wordlessly communicating. Heat flowed between us. It was a milestone. It set the tone for the rest of the evening.

She spoke softly into my chest as we embraced. "I needed this too... and you're always welcomed!"

We finished up the dishes and joined the girls. We enjoyed more light chatter, a game of Chutes and Ladders, and me losing badly to Hanna in a game of Super Mario (and, yes, she beat me fair and square). It was 8:30 when Laura asked the girls to go get ready for bed.

She turned to me with yet another smile. "I hope you can stay for a little while."

"Absolutely! I'll get us some more wine and wait right here." Her smile spoke volumes.

Mattie gave me a goodnight hug and kiss on the cheek. This little one already had me on a string. Laura scooted her up the stairs while Hanna came over to say goodnight. She hugged me as well then pulled back and looked me square in the eye. At that moment I can see her mother in her. She floored me with what she said next.

"Mr. Ben, we really like you. Please be nice to my mom. She needs it." She quickly kissed my cheek, turned, and ran upstairs shouting, "goodnight!"

How did a girl her age pick up on all these signals? I didn't know, but she had developed a pretty clear understanding of the chemistry filling the air. I had yet another moment to cherish.

I poured the wine and willed myself to quickly learn if Laura and the girls could possibly be in my life permanently. This felt awfully quick but awesomely right. How I got to that point in one day, I can't explain. I was sure I didn't deserve her, and yet I was confident that Laura was on the same wavelength. At that very moment, I determined that I would be an open book with Laura. When I felt something, I'd tell her. Where we went couldn't be fast enough for me. How she responded would help me understand the pace she was comfortable with.

After fifteen minutes of storytime, prayers, and tucking in, Laura floated down the stairs and sat next to me on the couch. She had lots of seating choices, but the one she selected sent clear signals.

"Ben, I've got to be honest," she said. "Today has been a whole lot different than I imagined when I got up this morning!"

"I know what you mean. I was focused on killing weeds, and instead, it feels like we've been planting some seeds for something else to grow!"

I hoped that didn't sound presumptuous.

"Can something like that happen so quickly?" she asked.

I'm more confident than ever that we are thinking of the same things. I put my hand on her chin to pull her gaze towards me.

"I never thought so, but I can't explain today other than to say... I've never wanted to get to know anybody better, quicker, and deeper than I want to know you!"

I chose to pull her into another embrace. I'm sure she would have accepted a kiss, but I wanted to wait. The moment had to be perfect. I didn't want to scare her. The speed of this was already potentially alarming.

"So after our heavy talk this afternoon, where do we start?" she asked.

"Why don't we pick up where we left off," I suggested, "and just tell each other about ourselves. Oddly enough, the tough stuff seems mostly out of the way. Why don't you start and tell me about your family, what you do, what you like, what dreams do you have?"

I released her from our embrace and we held hands and talked for hours. I learned she taught third grade and loved it.

"Being around children all day feeds my soul. It gives me hope for our future!" She glowed when she talked about her career.

"What do you do, Ben?"

"Pretty boring, actually. I'm a software engineer. I spend my days treating electrons and clients like children!"

She laughed.

"Actually, I decided when Megan left that I was going to change a lot of things. I quit my job with a large firm downtown, left behind the politics and stifling management team, and started my own company working from home. I was fortunate that I had made a lot of great contacts in the industry and I have a good reputation. So I decided to work for myself as a paid consultant and it's proven to be the best choice I could ever make."

We switched to family life. Her parents lived about 50 miles South of Chicago. She has a brother and sister who lived in the area and were both married. Each had 3 kids.

"One of each?"

I can be a smart-ass. She rolled her eyes.

"Each has two girls and one boy, you idiot!" She playfully smacked me.

"Seriously, though, having them all nearby helped pull me together when all that stuff went down with my husband. Our family is really close. They kept Hanna feeling stable when I was hitting rough patches, and their help was a Godsend when Mattie came along!"

I told her of my family. Mom and Dad were about three hours away in Indiana. I had two brothers and three sisters. All were married and lived near Mom and Dad except my youngest sister who was in college and still lived at home. We were very tight-knit, but the distance made it hard.

Laura loved the outdoors. Hiking, camping, picnics, and the like. She preferred driving trips rather than flying everywhere.

"Driving trips?" I asked. "I like getting there fast and enjoying the destination."

"Well, the road to Hawaii is a little hard to navigate, I'll admit!" She snickered. "I don't hate flying, but a three or four-hour car trip is really nice! For me, getting there is part of the destination."

A lot of our thoughts, likes, and dislikes were similar but left room for healthy debates. She hated slap-stick comedy, but I loved it. She had no desire to skydive. I pretended to be upset until she realized I wanted nothing to do with it. I hated heights, and so did she. Therefore bungee jumping was out! I liked pretty much any kind of music except bagpipes. She loved them because it spoke to her ancestry. She loved gardening, and I really hated it!

These were all the little things. It gave us a frame of reference for each other. We found lots of compatibility without any roadblocks of consequence.

We talked freely. She has a great sense of humor and wasn't afraid to use it. It was easy to have playful give and take banter. We were ourselves, and it was so comfortable.

By 10:30, I decided to address two things important to me.

"Okay," I said. "We covered a lot of things on the get-to-know-you list. If it's good with you, can we talk about potential elephants in the room?"

"Are you calling me an elephant?" she quipped while playfully smacking me.

"No! Are you kidding?"

Several times she hinted at her insecurities. I couldn't imagine someone as gorgeous thinking that way about herself. I'd have to deal with that later.

"So, go ahead and tell me about the elephants." She said with a cute smile.

"It's sort of an elephant, but it's based on where my head is right now."

"Go ahead." She said.

"I'm making a huge assumption... that we're on the same page. I want to get to know you because I feel somehow... pulled towards you. I'm feeling a really nice friendship starting, but I can't help but think that potentially... we could be a lot more than friends."

There. I put it out there. I tried to look at her with a calm assurance but I'm sure there was some begging in my eyes too.

"Please tell me if I'm on the right track."

She looked at me with a sheepish smile and her cheeks bloomed into the cutest blush the world had ever seen.

"You've assumed correctly!"

"Oh, thank God," I said with a gust of pent-up breath.

"So is that why I'm an elephant?" she joked.

"Stop that!" I exclaimed matching her humor. "Although I caught on that you never forget anything, so maybe...?"

I received another playful smack. "Come on." She faked some minor exasperation.

"I don't think we have a problem, but we don't know much about each other yet. So I just want to check that something is a non-issue."

"Is this another elephant?"

"I don't know. It's just... well... if things progress as I sincerely hope they will, is our age difference an issue for you? I mean, I don't know how old you are, but with Hanna being nine, I can guess a range."

"Oh really?" she smiled. "What range are you guessing?"

"Based on pure biological possibilities," I speculated with a smile, "and taking nine years into account, you could be anywhere between, let's see... twenty-two and about fifty!"

"Fifty!" A flurry of playful shoulder slaps battered my shoulder.

"Hey!" I said while protecting myself. "I also said twenty-two, so you could be younger than me!"

She was laughing but she started to bring the conversation around. "Is age an issue for you?"

"No. Not at all," I replied, trying to impress on her I was telling the truth. "Frankly, and please don't hit me, if you were fifty I wouldn't care. Age means nothing to me when it comes to matters of the heart! I don't think we're that far apart, but I want to eliminate anything that could come up down the road."

"How old are you?" she asked.

"I'm twenty-seven." I paused, then added with a smile, "and seven-eighths."

"So, almost twenty-eight you're saying?" she said with a grin. "I don't know. You may be too old for me."

I pressed my luck and gave her a little tickle in the ribs for that. I was rewarded with a sequel, a big smile, and she leaned into my arm.

She took my hand with both of hers and pulled my attention to her. "I'm thirty-three...and a half," she declared with a deep grin. "And I don't think it matters at all if you don't."

"I don't think it matters in the least!" I assured her. "That was a nice... non-issue!"

"Are you looking for issues?" She snuggled back into my shoulder.

"I don't think so. It's just... we seem to be so good for each other and... I'm... well, really... we're both coming off some relationship disasters. I'm having trouble believing how quickly I'm feeling pulled toward you."

She reflected a moment. "I get it. Is it too good to be true? I'd like to find out too!"

We had a comfortable silence for a few moments as she snuggled into my arm while still holding my hand.

She quietly shared her thoughts.