Two Broken Roads Ch. 02

Story Info
Ben starts to move forward.
12.7k words
4.69
30.3k
44

Part 2 of the 5 part series

Updated 06/09/2023
Created 01/10/2020
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Greetings, and welcome to chapter two of my story. "Two Broken Roads" is presented in five chapters that are all interconnected. Readers are welcome to enjoy the story any way they want, but it will make more sense if read in order.

Other than some steamy conversations, there's not much sex until the end. And fair warning for those readers who are offended by any religious content, the main characters are people of faith and their dialogue and actions will reflect their beliefs.

I am extremely thankful for my friends and editors who helped me. NoraFares and MsCherylTerra did their best to make my words work. If you want to read high-quality writing, check out their catalogues.

Thanks again, and I hope you enjoy "Two Broken Roads."

©BarryJames1952

January 2020

Two Broken Roads - Chapter Two

Two weeks after Megan's cruel departure, I felt I was at a place where I could cope with my turmoil. I decided to drive three hours to see my mom and dad. Both of my brothers and my youngest sister were there as well. We visited for a few hours over dinner while I convinced everyone I was good. No one believed it, but I was glad they pretended to be satisfied.

Dad was Dad. He had little to say but his eyes betrayed his love for me and deep anger toward Megan. I imagined in his mind he was considering organizing a biblical stoning of the guilty woman. Mom tried to avoid talking about Megan at all. I think she would still like to get a pound of flesh from the woman that hurt her boy. My brothers and sisters all wanted to hug me and pound Megan to a pulp. The hugs and affection really did feel reassuring, and my visit home made me even more thankful for having a loving family.

As I drove home from my parents, plans for my future started to form in my brain. I decided Megan's actions set the stage for me to evaluate lots of things in my life. She forced the big change. Now, I was going to determine how things would go in other key areas of my life.

The first on my mind... I had a job I loved with a company I couldn't stand. My direct supervisor was a prime example of the "Peter Principle." He was in over his head and tried to cover his shortcomings with bluster, bad attitude, and constant ridicule of his charges. I started the New Year with a new life, and I wouldn't be held back by working for fools. I was headed out on my own. Those were heavy-hearted days in my life, but I felt a great weight lifted off of me as I organized my future.

*****

As the months passed, Bobby and Sarah continued to keep me secure through their friendship. I said it before, but if you Googled "perfect friends," they were the benchmark that popped up on the screen. I didn't have dinner with them every night, but Friday became a regular time together along with weekend gatherings. Since I was no longer a "couple," many of the other couples that Megan and I used to hang with drifted away. I sort of expected that.

I noticed a trend in my visits with Bobby and Sarah. They both found time to pull me aside to tell me about some great woman that I should ask on a date.

"Would you two match-maker-wannabes please stop? I'm not ready to date yet."

Sarah looked hurt. "Ben, you're not the type of guy that can be alone. We just want you to be open to finding somebody new."

"I know your hearts are in the right place, but it's too soon for me. And now that I'm starting my own business, I can't spare the time to do a lot of trial dating. I'll know when I'm ready and I'll be more open to your suggestions. But for now, let nature take its course."

I was twenty-seven years old and was not planning to be a life-long bachelor, but my trust in the fairer sex was deeply shaken. I wanted to be sure not to bring too much of that baggage into the next phase of my love life.

*****

Megan was true to her word. There was very little that she wanted beyond what she had packed that day. I pondered a thought of thankfulness, but a bitter taste covered it up quickly. Sarah mentioned Megan had asked her to talk to me about a few furnishings that were heirlooms from her family, and some kitchen supplies that were gifts. I told Sarah to bring her and whoever she needed to move them on Saturday morning, and let her know I wouldn't be there. I totally trusted Sarah, and I didn't think Megan would abuse the opportunity. What I did know for sure was that I didn't want to see her.

Several months later, the divorce was final. I followed the advice of my Pastor and friends. I had to find a way to forgive Megan. She needed it, and I needed it to let my heart move on. With lots of prayers and introspection, I searched my soul and truly forgave her. I would never forget, and I thought I would always have a trace of anger, but I was convinced that Megan was fighting something within her. I didn't think she could even begin to explain it.

Sarah notice some kind of change in my attitude and decided to talk to me about it.

"Ben, it's been a few months. Are you coming to grip with the whole Megan fiasco?"

"I think I've reached the point where I've accepted the whole mess. I can't change it, but I know I can move forward and choose to live well."

"Early on you were pretty angry but you remained gentlemanly about the whole thing. I'm curious if you ever had thoughts of revenge."

Her question struck me as humorous. I imagined she was testing me.

"In all honesty, there were times my inner thoughts were not so kind. I guess we're all like that or revenge movies wouldn't be so popular. What Megan did was totally unfair to me. I didn't deserve what she did. Even she said that. But what would justice even look like, and how could I live with something bad happening to a woman I used to love."

"Do you still have feelings for her? I mean, if her new partner turned out to be a creep and she tried to come back, would you take her?"

"I've considered the same question. No, I couldn't take her back nor could I ever feel the same way I did about her. I'll always care, I'm not able to turn that off, but I'll never trust her with my heart again. But I can say for sure that I've forgiven her. I'm moving forward and I hope she is too."

"I do see her once in a while, and she always asks about you."

"I'm glad you've stayed friends with her. I'm sure she needs a rock like you in her circle of friends. Do me a favor, though."

"Sure. What?"

"Don't tell her that I've forgiven her... at least not yet. For her own good, I think she needs to ask for forgiveness directly from me."

*****

Sarah, Bobby, and other friends tried to fill the void in my life. I was not good at being alone, but the energy going into my business kept my thoughts occupied.

I knew when the time was right, love would be out there somewhere for me. I wondered what it would be like. Would it just be a comfortable love or a hot and heavy passion-filled love? I hoped for the latter but felt myself willing to settle for a companion and friend. My prayers started to include a request for the right woman to come my way, and I asked that I would clearly recognize her when I saw her.

As I slowly worked my way out of my self-imposed shell I started to make more friends in the neighborhood. Megan and I moved there in September, which was about three months before she left. The fall and winter in Illinois didn't provide the ideal setting for outdoor cookouts or casual meetings, so I hadn't really met any neighbors since the lovely woman next door and an older couple welcomed us to the neighborhood with cookies and some freshly baked bread. Other than that, most neighborly contact consisted of friendly waves and smiles.

Warm weather made its welcomed return. With yard work and casual strolls, I started to get to know more of the folks in my neighborhood. Tom and Fran were the nice older couple that lived across the street and had greeted Megan and me with a loaf of bread when we moved in. Peg and Bill lived next to them on the right with their 3 teenage sons. They were good kids but dealing with three boys that age kept them hopping.

Joe lived next door to the right of my house. He was in his seventies and since his wife had passed several years earlier, he started considering selling to live near his son in a retirement community. He was a sweet guy but pretty lonely. I liked it when we could share a beer once in a while just to chat or watch the Cubs on my big screen. We were two lonely guys keeping each other company over adult beverages.

I frequently saw my neighbor to the left because our driveways ran parallel and only a few feet apart. I never saw the man-of-the house, only Laura and her two girls. Laura was the sweet woman that greeted our arrival in the neighborhood with homemade cookies. We exchanged a number of friendly waves and smiles and I felt an instant like for her. We talked briefly on occasion, but I never liked to interact with women when their husbands weren't there to avoid any appearance of impropriety.

Even so, I couldn't help but watch her as she interacted with her children. In a brief conversation, as she loaded her girls in the car one cold winter day, she introduced her two daughters. Hanna was a bright and cheerful nine-year-old. Her three-year-old sister, Mattie, was the cutest thing ever and entirely precocious. Hanna and Mattie played outside a lot, so I saw them frequently and often had the chance to talk with them.

As the weeks passed, I often felt my mind drifting to warm thoughts about Laura. I still didn't know much about her, but what I knew for sure was that she was a beautiful woman. It wasn't hard to see how nice she was. She was always smiling. And as a mother... her girls were sweet and obedient to her. I never heard a raised voice from next door. In contrast, I heard Peg and Bill shouting a lot of threats and rebukes from across the street. Maybe it was the difference between raising boys and girls. Somehow, though, Laura seemed like gender wouldn't matter as to how her children were raised. I hoped I would meet her husband sometime so we could comfortably become friends.

Spring threatened to turn into early summer. I noticed I still hadn't seen nor met a man living in Laura's house. It became even more evident that there may not be one since Laura did all the yard work and maintenance chores including the trash. That was a dead giveaway that there was no man in the picture. But I wasn't going to jump to conclusions. Maybe he traveled a lot. But I never saw a car other than the one Laura drove. I considered asking Joe about her during one of our beer visits, but I shrugged it off and guessed I'd just figure out Laura's home dynamics at some point. Joe would tell me what he knew, but leaning on the gossip grapevine was not my style.

Mattie and Hanna constantly played outside as the weather warmed. Both were very outgoing and VERY talkative, so when I worked outside they often came over to see me. We enjoyed teasing each other and had a lot of marvelous chats. I found myself really looking forward to their impromptu visits. I learned of ballet, Veggie Tales, JoJo Bows, and tons of other things I never knew existed. These two girls were beyond adorable. They started calling me Mr. Ben and it warmed my heart every time they did. They adored their mom and mentioned her often, but never anything about Dad and I didn't feel I should broach the subject with them.

On a very hot Saturday late in May, I decided to do some weeding, which was a job I hated with a passion, but it had to be done. I was busy pulling the offending growth from the ground while I hummed quietly to myself to make the task seem more pleasant. Hanna and Mattie were playing hop-scotch in their driveway and decided that having a chat with me would be more fun.

As we talked, and by that I meant that they talked and I listened, I sat back on the lawn to take a welcomed break from my despised task and enjoyed my two visitors. The girls playfully plopped down with me on the grass. Hanna was telling me with great enthusiasm all about her favorite TV shows with Mattie chiming in. I was having a great time with these two treasures.

Then I noticed Laura wandering toward us.

I had admired her from a distance for months. Somehow, all those pleasant thoughts of the past compressed within me and caused a surge of powerful attraction. The pleasant sensations felt foreign and strong. Every nerve was stimulated. Every thought my brain could produce was rushing my full attention to the vision heading my way. Goosebumps popped up over every part of me. Yes, she was a beautiful woman. But whatever I felt was more than admiring God's handiwork.

I remembered first seeing Laura shortly after we moved in. I recalled thinking she was a very attractive "girl next door" type. At that point, I thought I was happily married, so my brain never wandered to consider her otherwise.

But now I was freed from the marital bonds I held sacred. I saw her walking towards me as if I never noticed her before. I couldn't control what I was feeling.

Her smile radiated from a place deep within her. I beheld her beauty as if I had never witnessed it before. Bright blue-gray eyes captured my attention and drilled deep into the core of my very existence. Something stirred within me causing butterflies and a warm glow. Her long, light brown hair flowed around her perfectly framing the most gorgeous face I had ever imagined. I swore I could see an aura around her that would put the sun to shame. In one instant, unfolding before me in slow motion, I felt like I could see the depths of her soul and a sweetness that captured my imagination. I wanted to envelop her and all the sensations that were bombarding me.

I chastised myself, realizing I was seriously crushing on a woman whom I still somehow believed was someone else's wife. The conflicts in my mind were driving me to distraction. I struggled for composure.

"Hi, Ben."

Was that angels singing?

"Laura. You're just in time for a debate about favorite TV shows!" My voice cracked a little in a failed attempt to stay cool.

"Girls, are you driving Mr. Ben nuts with girl talk?"

"Mom!" Hanna whined. "Mr. Ben is fun to talk to!"

"Misser Ben is fun!" Mattie parroted.

"Well, Mr. Ben, I was just coming out to see if the girls would like some lemonade on this hot day."

Hanna gave a dramatic "Yeah" as if she'd been wandering in the desert for days without water. Mattie jumped up and down repeating "Yes...yes...yes" with every leap.

Hanna looked at Laura all excited. "Can Mr. Ben have some too?"

Laura looked at me and smiled. I heard harps playing and I was melting into a puddle.

"Mr. Ben, would you like to join us?"

"Sure," I blurted out as I tried to curb my enthusiasm and all the other sensations I was both fighting to control.

"Great! I'll bring it out to the back patio. There's a cool spot in the shade. It will be nice to talk with you a little, Ben. We live so close, but we haven't really had a chance to chat. Girls, why don't you show Mr. Ben where we're headed, and I'll go get the glasses."

I heard the 'Hallelujah Chorus' in my mind. What was happening to me? I was trying to gather my composure while hoping to remember my manners.

"Can I help you?"

"Aw, thanks for your offer. I'm good. There's not much to carry and I think the girls would love you to go with them." She smiled and quickly turned. Before I could think, she was gone and two giggling little beauties each grabbed one of my hands and started to pull me to our destination.

The back patio was beautifully landscaped with pavers in a semicircle framed with a low raised wall along the perimeter that doubled as extra seating. Annual flowers were freshly planted in raised gardens on the outside of the wall. Eight outdoor chairs were placed around a fire pit, perfectly staged for nights of friendly conversation with friends and family. The fragrance of spring flowers filled the air.

The girls led me to another seating area with four padded Adirondack chairs set in a grouping around an outdoor wooden coffee table. The area would have been in the sun during the morning hours, but at one in the afternoon it was shaded by surrounding maple trees. The setting had a peaceful, lazy feel. It was perfect for relaxing or for a long comfortable conversation. I found myself hoping this time with Laura would be both comfortable and long. Even so, my nerves were on edge. The onslaught of emotions in the past five minutes had shocked my system with adrenalin and I fought against nearly uncontrollable energy. And I still had to assume she was married. I was completely conflicted about what I was hoping I would learn about Laura and her relationship status.

"Mom has me hooked on watching all her favorite movies from when she was a kid," Hanna said as she continued our conversation that started on my front lawn. Mattie squatted a few feet away focused on a bug.

"Really? What movies have you watched lately?" I asked.

"Princess Bride!" she shouted with glee. "That's my favorite!"

I smiled and said, "Wuv... TWU Wuv!"

"That's the best part!" she giggled.

"What other movies have you two watched?"

"Well, we watched 'Groundhog Day' last weekend. I really liked that."

I smiled and couldn't help myself. "You won't believe this, but that's my favorite of all time!"

"Mom said there were some things in it that were a little old for me, but I got it. He started out as a jerk and ended up learning how to be a good guy."

"That's what I like about it. It shows someone could change if they really wanted to."

She pondered my comment and her mood went a little somber. "I wish that had worked for my dad."

Until I knew more, I had to let that drop. But what didn't escape me was a great glimmer of hope rising within me that there was no man involved. I instantly felt guilty when I realized that meant those awesome girls may not have a father around.

"So, what are you watching next?" I was trying to avoid the "Dad" topic for now.

"It's gonna rain tomorrow so we're gonna binge watch the "Back to the Future" movies!" she explained with a beaming smile. "Mom's so excited about it she keeps talking about it every night at dinner!"

I had to chuckle at the energy she could bring to any conversation.

Laura suddenly appeared from behind me with a tray of glasses and sporting that electric smile. "Are you giving away our secret plans for tomorrow, Squirt?" As she put the tray on the coffee table, Hanna's shyness appeared as she reacted to one of her mother's pet names for her.

"Sheesh, Mom!"

"LENNONADE!" Mattie shrieked as she came over and grabbed her glass. Laura and I chuckled, Hanna took the opportunity to correct her little sister's pronunciation.

We shared light conversation for about ten minutes while sipping on our refreshment and we just enjoyed the two girls. Once Hanna finished, she and Mattie returned to the front of the house to play.

"Laura, you have two amazing girls! I wish I had their energy."

"They are real blessings." Her face was filled with love and pride. "They are really sweet and well-behaved, which makes the challenges of being a single mom a lot easier to bear."

I admit it. My heart jumped with joy while I allowed thoughts of sympathy to show on my face.

"You're raising them all by yourself! You're doing a fantastic job. I just assumed you were married when I saw your ring."

She looked down with a rather wry smile. "I should tear it off and melt it down. I'm just so used to it, plus it stops me from getting hit on so often. Of course, there are jerks that don't care and hit on me anyway." Her smile morphed into something between a smirk and a look of frustration.