Two, Plus One

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

The grin on his face broadened even further when his hands emerged from the water still holding two bottles, a thumb firmly pressed over the open end of each. He held the bottles up towards them.

"Logan..."

"Did I?" he insisted, placing the two coolers on the edge.

Connie shook her head, turned to Paula, still wrapped in a now-dripping towel. In spite of herself, she couldn't totally repress a small smile.

"Hopeless!" she said, shaking her head.

She turned back to her husband. "Logan, you embarrassed the hell out of Paula!"

Paula smiled slightly. "It's OK. He just caught me by surprise." It had been kind of funny, she thought to herself, in an adolescent sort of way.

Moreover, on another level entirely, how long had it been since she had been treated as 'one of the family', subject to family jokes and pranks? In that sense at least, it actually felt pretty good.

Logan's belly laugh rang across the pool. "Paula, having delivered your drink, I'm now going to have to ask you to turn your back while I get out of the pool."

Connie combed water out of her hair with her fingers, lay down again. She looked up at Paula, grinned. "After that stunt, he's now going to try to pretend he's a gentleman. Just ignore him, Paula."

Paula caught the new joke, lay back on her own chaise.

Seeing that Paula was not going to turn away, the burly man shrugged.

"Your call," he said, putting his arms up on the edge. "Don't say I didn't try to warn you."

He gave a large push, hauled himself out.

Crouching by the side of the pool in front of the two women, he picked up the bottles from where he had left them and, holding them by the necks side by side, more-or-less covered his groin with them, a broad grin on his face.

Connie threw her towel at him.

"Enough, Logan!" she growled. "Paula's seen one already and I'm thirsty. Cover up, give us our drinks and either go make dinner or find your trunks!"

"Yes. ma'am." Logan went back into the house, feigning hurt feelings, but the grin still on his face.

Connie put her hand out to Paula. "I'm really sorry you had to see that. He can sometimes be so darned... childish!"

Paula cut her off. "Stop. I have brothers. It's about normal."

"You're not upset?"

Paula thought for a second, trying to phrase it properly.

"It's OK, really. He wasn't being pervy or something. It's like he thinks I'm part of the family, which feels really good."

Connie spent a long minute looking at Paula's face before reaching her for her drink.

20 October

Paula was sitting on her couch reading when there was a knock at on door at the top of the stairs. It opened a crack.

"Paula?" Connie's voice came down the passage.

The slender woman got up and went to the foot of the stairs. "Hi."

"Got a minute, hon?"

"Of course," Paula answered. "Up there or down here?"

"C'mon up. I have something to show you before Logan gets home."

Connie waved her into the living room, where two packages were laid out on the floor, one much larger than the other.

The ball of fluff the first one contained turned out to be leggings made of a salt-and-pepper-colored synthetic fur. When her friend held them up by the waist, Paula could see that the legs ended in some sort of oddly-shaped footwear.

She squatted down beside Connie and ran her hand down through the fur. She had expected it to be stiff, just this side of bristly, but her fingertips were amazed when it proved to be exceptionally soft.

The satyr's costume 'footwear' was very clever, Paula thought. From all angles but the rear, they looked very much like hooves, but there was enough heel that whoever wearing the outfit -- obviously Logan -- wouldn't have to stand a-tiptoe, nor worry overly about balance. There was even a cleverly-tailored fold of cloth behind the calves that looked like a goat's hock.

"Wow!" she said, looking up at the blonde woman. "This is so cool! It's for Logan, right?"

"Uh-huh." Connie grinned. She held out her hand. On her palm, Paula could see a pair of small horns.

Gingerly, Paula reached out with a finger, touched one. After a moment, she picked it up. The horn was surprisingly light. She ran a fingertip over the blunt back end.

"How...?"

"How do they stick to his forehead? They used to use spirit gum -- still do, some of them -- but it takes a long time to dry. I'll use some liquid latex; it'll take just a few minutes."

"Where did you get all this? Oh, wait, I forgot. You're a theatre costume designer, right?"

"Got it in one! And the studio director doesn't mind if I experiment -- broadens my experience, I guess."

Connie put the leggings to one side, picked up a length of white cloth, a Grecian sort of dress. Connie threw it over her shoulders. "What do you think?"

Shoulder-wide, the long rectangle of cloth was in some ways very simple, at first glance nothing more than what generations of college students have worn to impromptu toga parties.

This garment was however about three levels above that, Paula could see. Draped over Connie's left shoulder and leaving her right shoulder bare, the fabric simply fell front and back to her ankles and was gathered at the waist with a gold belt. Even when carefully adjusted, it would still expose the sides of Connie's legs from the waist downwards every time she moved. Not to mention a fair bit of sideboob.

The fabric itself was not quite sheer, but as the slim woman rolled it between thumb and forefinger, she realized how thin it was, how completely it would conform to Connie's every contour. And this was not something one would wear over anything else...

So, it's going to be that sort of party,  Paula thought to herself and blushed just a little. It's a good thing Connie still has the figure to make this work.

"It's really pretty, Connie. I don't think any of the men are going to be able to keep their eyes off you all evening."

"That's the idea," Connie smirked happily. "Now, what about you?"

"Me?"

"You. It's a costume party. You were nice enough to offer to help, so you'll need a costume and I am not going to condemn you to something out of Walmart."

The slender woman frowned a little, shrugged in the manner of one used to thinking herself not worth much effort. "That'd be a lot of work for you," she said softly.

Connie reached over, put her hand on Paula's arm. "I enjoy it, hon. I like what I do."

She released her, winked. "Besides, we're going to get a lot of work out of you!"

Paula bit her lower lip, nodded.

"OK. Um, thank you."

"No, our thanks to you for offering to help. Really. And it's going to be fun! Now, what kind of costume do you want?"

"Um, nothing too fancy. I don't think I can match that kind of prettiness." She pointed at Connie's folded costume.

"Sure you can! You're looking great, hon!"

Indeed, Paula was  looking better. In the months since she had moved into the basement suite, she had been able to start paying down her debts. She was exercising, eating better, sleeping more.

With less stress and a better lifestyle, her skin tone was better. She had put on some much-needed weight and was no longer painfully thin. And the hours in and by the pool had paid off, too, giving her sleek, toned muscles under an even, all-over tan. While still slender, she was now a very attractive woman.

"Sit for a second," Connie directed, "Over in the light by that window."

She picked up a sketchbook and a pencil.

"Turn your head a little to the right," she said. Sweeping her hand across the page, she began to sketch.

In a few moments she frowned, shook her head and ripped off the page, began again. Again she tore it up. The next sketch failed to meet her approval, either.

"Paula," she said, exasperated. "Do me a favour. Stand up and walk around the room for me."

Puzzled but willing, the woman stood up and walked back and forth.

Connie gave a frustrated, thin smile.

"There's something bouncing around the back of my mind," she said, "but I can't quite make it work."

She looked outside at the balcony. The sun was bright and the day unseasonably warm.

"Nope," she announced, tossing the sketchbook aside. "Not working. Time to change lanes."

She looked at her thinner friend. "Up for a swim?"

Paula smiled. "Always."

The two left went down to the pool from the balcony, leaving their clothes on the bottom steps of the spiral stairway.

Paula was turning around when she heard a distinct, "Ick!" from her friend.

"What is it?" she asked.

"Oh, there are a bunch of leaves in the pool. I need to get them out before they clog the filters."

Connie looked around. "Now, where did Logan leave the leaf net?"

"There it is," Paula said, "On the other side of the pool. I'll get it."

At the far end, the pool was bordered by a line of leafy trees. Connie's face lit up as she watched her friend pass in front of them.

When Paula returned, Connie was hard at work, pad and pencil in hand...

31 October

Paula turned back and forth in front of the mirror. She was torn, stuck half-way between timorously terrified and daringly delighted.

Her outfit was by no means as revealing as Connie's, but it still had Paula well out of her comfort zone.

Curls from a red wig fell half-way down her back. That and green above-the-elbow gloves and leggings had ramped up a truly minimal leafy green bikini into a stunning Poison Ivy costume, set off with a matching domino mask.

She turned in front of the glass, examined herself again and smiled slightly. Months ago, before Paula and Logan had taken her in, it would have been at best awkward, something people would have turned away from in embarrassment. Now, she realized, after four months of peace, rest, decent food and regular exercise, she looked good in it.

Turning to look over her shoulder, she ran her fingertips over a trim buttock. Turning back, her fingertips ran over her bosom in its push-up bikini top. Where Connie had found it, she couldn't imagine, but Paula smiled at the sight of -- for the first time in her life -- cleavage. Her skin was clear and her bare abs better than she could have expected at 36. All those sit-ups and crunches had paid off.

She dropped her hands, stepped back, made a slight moue in the mirror, then broke into a dazzling smile. She looked good. She felt good. No, she realized. For the first time in her life, Paula felt hot.

It was a startling realization to the woman. Her whole life, she'd aspired to maybe someday being thought of as 'pretty' and even that had been a high stretch.

She twirled in front of the mirror, deliberately making the wig flare and swirl around her, settle over shoulders and breasts. It was a remarkable feeling. She felt confident, sexy -- totally ready for this.

She slipped her feet into a pair of green heels, turned off the bathroom light and headed up the stairs.

.

She could hear Connie and Logan talking by the time she was half-way up the stairs. Logan was in the living room with a tray of snacks. Paula giggled at the sight of a half-naked satyr putting out dishes of nuts.

Logan paused when he caught sight of her. He deliberately looked her up and down and gave an appreciative whistle.

"Wow!" he said, still staring. "Connie said you'd be pretty special, but I had no idea..."

No longer feeling threatened by a male presence, Paula felt a tingle run up her spine at his admiring gaze. It had been a long time. She broke into a broad smile.

"Well, look at you, too!" she replied. "That's amazing! How do your feet feel?"

"A bit weird," he admitted, "but comfortable enough." He grinned. "I feel like a 10-year-old girl trying heels for the first time."

Connie appeared. Her hair and makeup were done, but she was wearing only a light housecoat. Seeing Paula's glance, she smiled.

"Working on snacks and don't want to get anything on the costume. It'll only take a minute to throw on."

She, too, admired Paula's outfit. "It looks good, Paula!"

The thinner woman blushed a little, her flush deepening at Logan 's hearty laugh.

"Doesn't she, though!" he said. "Good thing my wife's here!" He leaned towards her, extended his arms in fake menace. "Grrr-rowl!"

Paula's heart skipped a beat before she saw the loving smile on her friend's face.

"Stop it, Logan," Connie commanded. "Don't embarrass the lady." She looked around. "I think it's time for you to open the wine. And, Paula, maybe you could help me in the kitchen?"

The two women had spent much of the afternoon tidying up, setting out glasses and plates and preparing snacks. From the kitchen now came the tantalizing scent of warming food.

Logan strode into the kitchen two minutes later, clasped both of the girls in a friendly hug from behind.

"I'm looking forward to this, you two," he said. The arm around Paula tightened for a second. "Thanks very much for your help, Paula."

Paula felt a warm glow of friendship, sagged a little against the bare chest. She turned to Connie to see sparkling eyes staring back.

"Don't encourage him," Connie said with a smile. "You'll never get rid of him otherwise."

Just then, the doorbell rang.

Connie's eyes flew to the clock. "I'm not dressed" she hissed. "Take over, Paula."

She whirled, vanished towards her bedroom.

Grinning, Logan gave Paula another brief hug.

"She always does that," he said, "and she always looks amazing to me."

He released the slender girl, headed to welcome their first guests.

+

Paula emerged from the kitchen bearing a fresh tray of snacks. She'd initially found the press of people a bit stressful. It had been too long since she'd been able to let down her guard and simply be herself without worrying. That had passed and she had left her nervousness behind. The two coolers she'd had hadn't hurt, either.

The party was indeed booming. At least 40 people were there, mostly couples, but some singles as well. And the costumes were generally excellent --- no tacky big box getups. Sophisticated and very sexy seemed to be the name of the game. Although there was no actual nudity, Connie's translucent toga was hardly the most daring and there was -- as intended -- a noticeable sexual undercurrent. Paula was feeling pretty good overall, very relaxed. Her own Poison Ivy costume had drawn some open, admiring smiles, and that had left her a little bit thrilled, too, excited in ways that she hadn't felt in a long while.

As she walked, she examined some of the newcomers, costumes she hadn't seen yet.

One man was dressed in orange coveralls and handcuffs. Few looked at him however, for the 'policewoman' beside him wore a skin-tight black latex minidress with a deep plunging neckline. Thigh-high black stockings were held up with black garters. In addition to her badge and aviator sunglasses, she also wore the handcuff key on a silver chain around her neck, nestled in an admirable cleavage.

Another couple had come as Mickie and Minnie Mouse. Their costumes were quite simple. Both wore black long-sleeved jerseys and shoes; he wore scarlet trousers and she a matching miniskirt over black tights. Both wore a pair of 'ears' and a round black nose. Paula actually liked their costume the best. She was surprised to find her eyes being drawn over and over to the woman's bottom in the tight skirt.

Another pair were... gladiators? Each costume consisted of sandals and a short (in her case, very short) white tunic; both wore leather wrist strengtheners and a short sword on a wide belt. Paula thought they made a really cute couple; it was obvious they were very much in love, for their hands never left each other's body. Connie could sense the arousal building in the woman and was jealous.

A man appeared in front of her as she made her way towards the buffet.

"Hi," he said, holding out his hands in an offer to take the tray. "I'm Ben. May I help?"

Asian, cleanshaven and amazingly handsome, Ben was in his early 30s and seemed to be alone. His costume was both minimal and impressive. Plain brown working trousers were held up with wide, bright red suspenders. His short-cut black hair was almost covered by a bright red old-style fireman's helmet.

Ben obviously worked out a lot, for his shirtless upper body was buff in the way most men would like and few ever achieve.

Simple as it was, it was a stunning costume. Paula's breath caught at the sheer masculinity it proclaimed. She was surprised to feel a weight in her loins, her nipples tightening. "Um..." she stammered.

Unlike the other men she'd had in her life, Ben had no apparent body hair. The thought came out of nowhere. Does he shave or...?  She barely managed to stop her hand from reaching out to touch the man's chest.

She blushed as another thought hit her mind. How far down does...?

"Can I help?" he repeated, a patient smile on his face.

Confused, unable to speak, she merely nodded. Ben smiled back, perfect white teeth gleaming.

"Here," he said, taking the tray. "Let me."

Holding it, his eyes ran up and down the woman's scanty costume. "That's pretty spectacular," he said appreciatively. "Did you make it yourself?"

"No," she admitted. "Connie..."

"Ah!" he smiled, even more broadly. "The magical Connie! She is talented, isn't she? I'm quite jealous, you know."

Ben was wearing some sort of aftershave, something she didn't recognize. It filled her head, sent her mind reeling through endless rooms of fantasies. Strong, sexy, confident, Ben looked simply delicious and Paula was very, very aware of the effect he was having on her.

I feel like I'm 12 years old, at my first dance,  Paula thought to herself, wondering what she could possibly say that wouldn't seem foolish.

Ben was about to say something when Connie appeared.

"Ben!" she said, in an almost accusing tone. "Are you doing it again?"

Paula looked at her in confusion as Ben broke out into a gale of laughter.

Connie wrapped one arm around his shoulder and, smiling, pulled him in for a hug.

"Paula," she said, looking at her, "be warned that this magnificent young creature is the biggest wrong turn you'll ever meet."

Ben's laughter redoubled at the term as Connie continued.

"He's the handsomest man I know," she said, "the best dancer, the best dresser -- and totally batting for the other team, Paula." The blonde woman shook her head as if mourning a loss.

He's gay?  Paula thought? Oh, crap!

Connie pulled Ben in tighter, chuckled herself as he squeezed back.

"Where's Thomas?" she asked.

"Out of town on business," Ben replied. "He was supposed to be here, but his flight was delayed at the last moment. He says to give you his regrets."

His eyes swept slowly over both women. "You are the talent, Connie! These..." he said, gesturing at their outfits, "...are really well done! Looking at you two girls in those might almost tempt an honest guy..."

Connie chortled in delight, gave him a light kiss on the cheek.

"...and what you did for Logan!" he continued. "It's a good thing you're here to keep me from making a fool of myself, dear."

Connie laughed delightedly, loud enough to cause attention. Ben smiled at Paula. "Nice to meet you," he said before turning and vanishing, tray in hand, into another room.

"Wow!" Paula breathed. She could feel her whole body tingling.

"Yes, I know. Thomas is so lucky, right? But there's lot of fish in this sea, girl!" Connie had been hoping Paula might meet somebody entertaining; she'd specifically invited a few more single men than she would have normally. "Are you having fun?"

"Oh, yes! You have nice friends, Connie. And the costumes!" The thin woman glanced around, giggled. "I thought the one you made for me was risqué!"