Unity and Destiny Pt. 02

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Esther?" Javier asked. "Is she hiding herself?"

Mark shook his head. "It doesn't feel like her. I'm sorry."

"Time to get down there," Selena said. "We have enough daylight."

She gained altitude and opened up the throttle, and eventually the small airport came in view.

Nicola was waiting anxiously with the truck, and she jumped out when she saw them.

"We found the car," Javier called, and she nodded, face brightening with hope.

Nicola took the wheel while Selena puzzled over the map, giving directions. Eventually she pointed to a gravel road off the highway. A few minutes later Javier gasped.

"There it is! The formation. She came this way. I guess we knew that."

"But it's good to confirm," Selena said.

They bounced over the increasingly rocky road for a maddening length of time, and then Selena pointed at an even worse road. Soon it turned into a gravelly wash, and then the mouth of a canyon that narrowed quickly. And above them was his car, stopped before a particularly rough section. They pulled up behind and everyone jumped out.

It was empty, of course. Unlocked, keys still in the ignition. Javier looked briefly inside, but there was no note. The only sign of Esther was Abuela's sculpture on the passenger seat. He wasn't sure what it meant that she'd left it.

Mark walked in front of the car, looking at the ground.

"The rain has washed away any signs," he said shortly. "But I assume she was going up."

"So we follow," said Javier. "You and Selena are the fastest. But Mark, don't leave Selena behind. And be careful, because we don't know what's up there. Maybe there's another person. Remember what you felt."

Mark put on his pack, with the food and extra water they'd brought along for Esther. Javier only had his water bottle, and a granola bar in his pocket. He hoped Esther was close. It was brutally hot, and the sun seemed to reflect from the red rock.

Just like that, Mark and Selena took off up the canyon. Javier started running at a slower pace. He was in pretty good shape this summer and he hoped to keep the other two in sight.

Nicola ran with him for a while, but eventually she started gasping for air.

"I always hated running." She slowed to a walk and wiped sweat from her face. "Mark says that's why I never get better at it. Makes sense. You go ahead, Javier. I'll follow as fast as I can. Go find Esther."

The canyon slowly steepened as he ran. The sun fell behind one wall, and to Javier's relief the temperature immediately dropped. He stopped to drink some water. He must have been running twenty-five minutes. Certainly under three miles in this terrain. Nicola was a ways behind him, and the two up front had already disappeared.

His muscles were burning by the time he neared the upper lip of the canyon, and Javier knew he'd gone out too fast. He hadn't expected Esther to have gone so far. Even at her best she'd never been able to move all that fast, and she'd complained this summer about being out of shape.

He wiped the sweat off his face, drank his remaining water, and climbed up over the last fifty feet of broken slabs. A long plateau opened suddenly in front of him.

It didn't look anything like it had from the air. And he had no idea which direction to go from here.

A motion caught his eye, and he saw Mark and Selena across the plateau. There was something strange with them, and he soon realized what it was: Selena had Mark's hand, and she was slowly leading him back towards Javier.

He'd never seen her touch anyone. He was so used to it that he'd stopped noticing the ease with which she moved out of everyone's way.

Javier took off as fast as he could manage, and eventually he reached them.

"We can't go on," Selena said. Mark kept shaking his head and looking back, towards whatever Selena was leading him away from. Javier turned and walked with them as she explained.

"Mark told me he could feel whatever strange thing was ahead," she said. "So we went that direction. And then he started getting strange himself, and he didn't listen when I told him to slow down. I just managed to catch and tackle him, and he still was trying to go forward. Thankfully he wasn't really fighting me, just confused. I could feel it by then as well. It's trying to draw us in. I don't know what it is, but if we went on I doubt we could escape it. I barely dragged Mark back."

"That's what has Esther," Javier said, squinting back that way, trying to catch his breath.

Mark sat down heavily, shaking off Selena's hand. "I can remain here," he said. "My mind is clearing, though it still pulls me strongly. I don't think it's a person. Not like Franklin. Like something in the land itself, though I can't understand how. I'm sorry, Javier. I couldn't sense Esther."

"It's that canyon way up there," Selena said. "With the tan and red boulder in front. I'll have to stay here with Mark. I'm sorry, Javier. I hope it doesn't affect you. Come back the moment you feel it, and we'll figure out what to do from there."

He nodded and took some food and water from Mark's pack, making sure to drink plenty of water himself. No good if he collapsed on the way. Then he started to run.

The red rock radiated the day's heat. The very air smelled burnt, and Javier struggled with dizziness and exhaustion. He was terrified about whatever force had drawn the others ahead. It had affected Mark the most, and Mark was the most sensitive of all of them. Aside from Esther, of course. Maybe Javier would be immune to it.

Javier's mind began to play tricks on him, but he didn't think he truly was affected yet. Esther was ahead. That was why he felt drawn forward.

Finally he reached the canyon. It was smaller and narrower than the last, with many sharp turns. He was sure it was the one in his vision. Beautiful in its alien way. As fast as he could he picked his way among the slabs and rocks, occasionally leaving footprints in softer sand. Water had definitely flowed here recently.

He called Esther's name, but there was no answer.

Finally he rounded a turn, and there was a bundle of clothes along the wall. It took him a moment to understand it was Esther.

"Esther!" he cried, but she didn't move. He rushed over to her.

She lay on her back, still wearing her jacket, and damp jeans. Her face was sunburned and peeling, her eyes closed. He checked for a pulse, and he sobbed when he felt it, weak and slow.

She didn't respond at all to his touch. He propped her up against the wall, trying to get her to drink water, but he wasn't sure if she swallowed any. He tried again, at a different angle, and this time he thought she'd taken some.

You weren't supposed to give too much water at once, or food. He didn't remember anything else. But he had to get her out of here.

He ate a bit of the food himself and drank more water. Then, as carefully as he could, he hoisted her over his shoulder. She was so small, but he was exhausted. He lurched back down, step after step. Mark could carry her. He just needed to get her that far.

To his surprise, Esther started to move slightly, her limbs uncoordinated, as though she was trying to fight him. He tried to reassure her, but she didn't respond. As he moved lower, her movements slowed and ceased.

Had she been fighting to get back to this place, even while unconscious? No wonder she couldn't escape.

Javier's legs were shaking terribly by the time he reached the mouth of the canyon. He ached to put her down, but he doubted he could pick her up again. The other three came into sight, and he saw Selena begin to walk steadily towards him.

"She's alive!" he yelled, and Nicola raised her arm in acknowledgment. She called something to Selena, who returned to Mark, and then Nicola moved closer.

Halfway to Javier, she stopped.

"Can you make it to me?" she called, and he nodded. Just one step, and then another. Nicola looked exhausted, and was obviously struggling not to move any further. But when he finally reached her, she knelt and helped him lay Esther across both her shoulders. Of course. He should have carried her that way. He was so tired.

Nicola stood up with a grunt and walked quickly towards the others, with Javier stumbling after her. When she reached the other pair, they helped lay Esther gently on the ground, and they clustered around her while Javier described how he'd found her. Mark felt her forehead and touched her in several places.

"She's not regulating her temperature," he said. "Too hot now, but I think she must have been cold for a long time this morning. And of course she's dehydrated and needs food."

They quickly pulled off her jacket and sweater. She looked tiny, almost shriveled. No food in a week, and not enough water.

Nicola was able to get her to drink again, more easily than before. They used more of the water trying to cool her skin.

"We've got to get her off this rock," Nicola said, pushing irritably at sweat-dried strands of hair. "Mark, you should take her to the truck, quick as you can. Try to get her comfortable. Turn on the A/C, whatever you think she needs. Selena, you too. Take her to the motel. We'll follow in Javier's car when we get there."

Mark outpaced Selena across the plateau, even while carrying Esther. Javier and Nicola followed as best they could.

It was after dark when he and Nicola finally got to the motel. Selena and Mark were sitting on one bed, watching Esther, who was still asleep or unconscious.

"She's going to be all right," Selena said. "Mark got her to drink some broth. She woke up briefly, totally disoriented, but she's getting stronger. And I called Jacob, so by now everyone knows she's OK."

Javier sat next to Esther, touching her cheek. She moved slightly, but didn't respond otherwise.

She was alive. She would probably be fine, given the way she healed. Javier felt faint. It was as if the worry had been the only thing keeping him moving.

"Thank you," he said softly. "Thank you so much, everyone."

"Get some rest, Javier," said Nicola tiredly. "We'll all take shifts watching her tonight. And when she's enough better, we'll go home."

* * *

Esther had never felt so exhausted, but the pulsing of the rocks was finally gone. Had she done that? Her mind was jumbled, but her body was complaining about something. Bathroom. She struggled to open her eyes.

The ceiling wasn't familiar. She was in a bed, and it smelled like cigarettes and some kind of cleaner. And friends.

"Javier?" she whispered. He was suddenly there, touching her shoulder gently, and then Mark and Selena moved into her vision. She tipped her head slightly and grimaced.

"You're safe, Esther," said Javier. "You need food and drink. Nicola's out getting more groceries."

She managed to swallow some Gatorade, and Javier stroked her hair. She was beginning to remember pieces. They'd found her, somehow. Javier must have heard her.

"H-how long?" she whispered, coughing.

"Eight days, when we found you," he said. "You've been asleep another day since. We were so worried, Esther. But it's all right. We're just glad to have you back. Esther, we do have you back, right? Is that place still trying to pull you away?"

She tried to order her thoughts. The pulsing was gone, unless she reached towards it—no, she wouldn't try that again for a long time. Not until she was fully recovered, at the least.

"I'm back," she said. "I can hear if I try to listen, but I won't do that. My mind is so much clearer. I'll—I'll try to explain. I'm so sorry. Thank you so much for coming. All of you."

"You can explain when you're stronger," Javier said. "We'll take you back home once you're not so weak."

She needed to get away as soon as she could. She didn't trust herself enough while she slept. But there was something more urgent.

"Javier, I have to pee," she said. "I need help."

He nodded. "That must be a good sign. Here, let me get you."

They pulled back the covers and she realized she was only wearing underwear. It didn't even seem to be the same underwear. The cotton was clean, a stark contrast to the rest of her.

Javier grunted and picked her up in his arms. He was so strong. She wanted to cling against his chest, but she couldn't even move. He awkwardly set her on the toilet, then struggled with her underwear. She couldn't even keep herself sitting properly without his help.

Someone had closed the door, at least. She closed her eyes and let her body do what it needed, while Javier held her in place. She'd never felt so helpless.

But of course that wasn't true. She could remember parts of the time in the canyon. She'd been sure she was going to die there. This—it was only embarrassing.

Javier seemed to understand what she couldn't ask, and he washed her gently between the legs with a damp cloth.

By the time he got her back into bed, Nicola had returned. The other woman kissed her on the forehead and then forced her to eat some Jell-O. She could practically feel her body grasping at the calories, trying to distribute them where they were needed. Esther had never been more appreciative of her natural healing ability. She shouldn't take it for granted. She would talk to Mark about it, to see if there might be ways to train her body further. At the very least she could exercise and get herself in better physical condition. There were so many things she needed to be more responsible about.

"Nicola, Javier," she said. Even her voice felt stronger. "I know I'm not ready, but I need to be taken away from here. I can't be positive that I'm free of the visions' influence when I'm asleep. It affected my dreams before. All of that will be weaker at home than here."

She thought about the nightmares. They were related to the canyon and the visions, certainly, but there had always been something more as well. She needed to be extremely cautious.

"Is the sculpture a danger?" Javier asked.

They had worked out more than she realized. "No," she said. "As long as I don't touch it. It would be best if you kept it away from me until I say it's safe."

Javier nodded seriously, but she could see how relieved he was to hear her talk this way. She should never have hidden her fears from him. While she could blame some of that tendency on the strange compulsion, most of it had been her own fault. And it had nearly killed her.

They forced some more food and drink into her, and argued about logistics. The plane would be hours faster, but very uncomfortable, and with no chance to stop if she needed it.

"I can accept uncomfortable," Esther finally said. "I just want to be home. And I wouldn't mind seeing the view from above."

* * *

Javier wanted to accompany Esther in the plane, but they had two vehicles to bring back, and Mark had barely ever driven. So Javier said his goodbyes at the tiny airport, giving Esther a careful kiss on her chapped lips while Mark supported her. She really looked terrible now that the sunburned skin was starting to peel, but she said it didn't hurt so much.

"You think she's over it? Whatever that compulsion was?" Nicola asked Javier as they prepared for the drive.

He shook his head. "I know she's worrying she isn't. But she sounds like the old Esther, doesn't she? And she's telling us she's worried, which is such an improvement. I think we'll have to watch her carefully for a long while, though."

Nicola nodded. "But in the end you were right, Javier. She beat it somehow, just as she beat Franklin. I'm itching to hear how she did it. And also to hear if she knows what the hell that place is. It makes me shiver."

The drive took over thirteen hours, and Javier was on his fourth bottle of soda by the time he pulled into the camp. The truck was already there, as Nicola hadn't needed so many breaks along the way. No doubt she was happily asleep.

His cabin was as silent as the rest of the camp, and Javier almost jumped when he saw Mark's profile in a chair.

Mark stood up. "I'll go now," he whispered.

Javier stopped him. "I can't stay awake any longer. Could you wait up until someone else can keep watch?"

Mark nodded and settled back in his chair. Javier kicked off his shoes and slid into bed, leaving Esther plenty of space. She needed her sleep more than he needed reassurance. There would be time for all of that.

* * *

When Esther opened her eyes this time, everything was right. The beautiful logs in the ceiling. The dry pine-scented air, the wood smoke. Javier, asleep next to her. And, to her surprise, Kat sitting in a chair.

"Hey," Kat said softly. "I saw you last night when you got in, but you were dead to the world. Welcome back. Everyone is so relieved."

Javier shifted next to her, then sat up himself. He looked equally surprised to see Kat, and then nodded.

"Thanks for keeping watch," he said. "I guess I can take it from here."

Esther felt stronger today. With some effort she got herself sitting up.

"Soon you'll be ranging with Mark again," said Javier, smiling. But he had to carry her to the outhouse, and then all she could think of was a bath.

It turned out that Javier wanted nothing more than to sit with her and wash every bit of her body. He touched her gently, and her body sluggishly reacted, more in the way of annoying tingling than anything else. And she had so many complicated, unhappy feelings that weren't washing away so easily.

"I'm so sorry, Javier," she said. "I haven't trusted you with what's going on in my head. I think I was trying to protect you, and everyone else. Look where that got me. You're the ones keeping watch on me, now. And I owe all of you my life."

"Apology accepted," Javier said with a sigh. "And I'm sorry about the supervision. But after what you said about your dreams—"

"No, it's a good idea," said Esther. "I don't remember any of my dreams last night, but I usually don't. The last thing I want is to have all this sneak up on me again. But that means I'll have to understand it, and I'm still confused by a lot of it."

"Tell us all about it, then," said Javier. "More minds to work on it. You have the unique skills, but that doesn't mean you should be doing everything yourself. We can be a team, Esther. Or, like you said, a family. I think that's what everyone here wants."

"I will," promised Esther. "I'll talk about all of it. Even the things that scare me, so much that I try not to think about them."

Javier wrapped his arms around her. "When you disappeared, after you'd been acting weird, I thought maybe there was another person with the Changes. Not as powerful as Abuela, but strong enough to pull you to them. I've had worries like this before, Esther, but I didn't want to think about them either."

Esther sighed. "You weren't far off. I think it was mostly the raw power of the canyon pulling on me, but it was more than that. There were people with Changes in my visions, and they were having a ritual in that canyon, maybe over a decade ago. At least some of them are still connected to that canyon, perhaps through their own dreams. I'm worried that I might have touched some of them in my dreams, or the reverse. I believe I was much stronger than any of them, but I think that place helped them combine their skills. I don't know what their purpose was, or if they are still pursuing it, but I'm worried. And Javier, one of the images I saw was the woods behind my parents' place in Virginia, just as it looked when my parents first met me."

Javier gasped.

"I don't know what it means," Esther said. "But you can see why I found it impossible to ignore. Eventually I'll have to confront all of it. But only when I'm stronger, and only with the help of my family. Why don't you get everyone together after lunch. I'll try to tell the story from the beginning."

* * *

Esther fell asleep again after Javier coaxed some food into her. Nicola volunteered to watch her, so he went to get himself a late breakfast.