Unspoken Ch. 05

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Thank you," I whispered and took the pin from his hand.

"You are welcome, Snow," he said and straightened up. "If you do not wish to wear the pin, I understand, but please keep it with you. I promise it will bring you and your friends good fortune. Have a pleasant evening," he said with a bow.

We all thanked Nasir and Mr. Thomas. We wished them an equally pleasant evening before collecting our supplies and leaving the shop.

Flint Arrow Inn was the smallest of three inns in Hartwell, but I found it perfectly accommodating. Flint himself greeted Eagle and Rain with hugs when we stepped into the dining room on the first floor, then he called his family into the room for introductions. Flint had a beautiful English wife named Mary, a daughter named Joanna, and a son named Andy. Andy hurried outside to lead our horses to the stable behind the inn so they could be fed and brushed before dark. Mary and Joanna retreated to the kitchen after introductions to finish preparing supper. Flint had obvious native features along with European bone structure and facial hair. He was handsome, and so were his manners. Joanna showed us to our rooms so we could wash up before supper. Each couple had a small room to share with a comfortable feather bed, a stone fireplace, and a small wooden tub that I planned to make use of that night. I hadn't had a soaking bath in months and was looking forward to indulging.

After a quick wash and a half-hour rest, Joanna knocked on our door to summon us to supper. We congregated in the dining room and helped pull two long tables together so everyone could join in the dinner conversation. Sky had purchased a small notebook and pencil from Mr. Thomas so he could write out his thoughts on something easy to carry.

"Business seems slow compared to the last time I visited you, Flint. With the snow melting, I assumed Hartwell would be buzzing. Is something amiss in Charleston?" Eagle asked.

"Beaufort and Charleston have reported pirate raids in the last few months. Yamasee are also raiding Beaufort. Our native brethren will not tolerate another village like Charleston taking root further south."

"Pirate raids?" I gulped.

"Blackbeard inspired copycats after his attack on Charleston a few years back. It's been a rough winter along the coast. Pirates are disguising their ships as merchant vessels and raiding the ports. Ships are often attacked a few miles short of completing their voyages. Land pirates are on the rise as well. Mysterious foreign ships anchor offshore between Beaufort and Charleston. They send groups of marauders upriver on stolen horses to attack less guarded towns. It makes me wish Hartwell had a larger militia. Goods have been piling up all winter in our storehouse thanks to the trade interruptions," Flint whispered.

There were a few other patrons in the dining room that evening, but none looked like pirates.

"Speaking of pirates," Eagle whispered as he reached over and tapped Rain's pretty hairpin.

"Where did you get that shiny piece, Rain?" Mary asked.

"From a man who looked like a pirate," I whispered, realizing what Eagle meant.

I looked at Sky, and he nodded in agreement.

"You think Nasir pirate?" Ayita asked in shock as she touched her own hairpin.

Sky let out a heavy sigh and quickly scribbled a note. He handed it to me when he was finished.

"Sky says his grandfather used to tell him stories about pirates he met and fought during his travels with the East India Company, and Nasir fits the description. He doesn't want to assume the worst about a stranger, but 'pirate' was the first thing that came to mind when he saw him," I explained.

"Nasir seem nice," Wolf said as he looked between Sky and me.

"I agree," I nodded. "He backed off when he realized I was afraid of him."

Sky made a "pfft" with his breath and scribbled another note. I took it from him and read it out loud.

"If he is a pirate, he's a manipulative snake. He'll gain your trust then slit your throat as you sleep. It's not always the case, but Grandpa told me to be wary of seafaring foreigners until they proved trustworthy. The fancy gifts they give you can easily be recovered when you're dead."

Rain and Ayita exchanged worried glances, then they removed the gold pins from their hair and hid them in their clothes.

"We will not wear a pirate's gift," Rain said.

Supper conversation dried up after that. We thanked the Monet family for the delicious supper before we retreated to our rooms for the night. Andy and Joanna carried up water to fill the small tub in our room. I boiled a few kettles over the fire to warm it up before stripping and climbing in. Sky was reclined on the bed, watching me with a handsome smile on his face.

"What are you staring at? You have work to do," I said and held up the washcloth and a bar of soap.

He let out a breathy laugh as he climbed off the bed and pushed up his sleeves. He knelt by the tub and went to work, lathering up my back. I groaned and leaned into his massaging touch. I was sore from traveling. He rubbed my neck and shoulders for many minutes, making me want to melt into the water. Then he moved down my arms, caressing the skin and massaging the tight muscles. I smiled when his soapy hands cupped my breasts and gently squeezed them. Then his warm mouth pressed against my neck for a kiss. I moaned when he took my earlobe between his lips and sucked it. He knew how to make me tingle between my legs.

I took his right wrist and pulled his hand down into the water. I made sure it was free of soap before I guided his fingers between my legs. He eagerly touched my aroused skin, rubbing his fingertips up and down my swollen lips, making me shudder with pleasure. I spread my legs open as much as I could in the small tub. He squeezed my left breast and swirled my sensitive bulb, making me squirm. Then he parted my lips and pushed a finger inside me. I moaned as he pulled it in and out, stimulating the tightest muscles just inside my opening. I turned my head to the right to see his face, and he caught my mouth for a kiss. My body tightened on his finger as he worked another one inside me. He angled his hand to let the base of his fingers glide against my sensitive bulb, making me tense with every stroke. His tongue played against mine as he slid a third finger inside me, spreading my pussy lips wider. He was groping inside me at that point, giving my inner muscles an aggressive workout. I clutched at his arm with my eyes rolling back as I enjoyed the delicious pressure. I lost it a second later. I groaned against his mouth as my body tensed and shook. He chuckled as I clawed at his arm and arched my back, riding the powerful spasms. I groaned and smiled when I was finally able to relax. Sky smiled too as he continued to massage inside me, encouraging tingly aftershocks.

Suddenly, in the distance, gunshots rang out. Sky gasped and straightened up. We both held our breath and listened as more shots and yelling disturbed the night. He sprang away from me at that point to grab his weapons.

"Sky, no! Please, don't go outside!" I pleaded.

He grabbed his notepad and quickly wrote a note before dropping it on the bed. Then he leaned down and gave me a deep kiss before he rushed out the door, slamming it behind him. I dived out of the tub to read the note.

"Marauders. Stay inside and hide. I love you."

"No! This can't be happening!" I yelled.

I threw on my clothes as the noise inside and outside the inn grew frantic. Everyone was rushing to defend the town. Doors slammed, people yelled, and feet rushed down the halls and stairs as the chapel bell in the middle of town rang out a call to arms. I ran to the front window to see Sky, Eagle, Wolf, Rain, Ayita, Flint, and Andy sprinting away from the inn towards the battle on the south side of town. The half-moon was high overhead, offering plenty of light to see one's enemies. My new family was running towards death, and I was ordered to sit and hide. I cursed my injured leg to hell for not allowing me to run and join them. I looked at Sky's musket rifle propped in the corner, knowing damn well I could put it to good use.

"Who needs to run when you can aim?" I muttered.

I grabbed the rifle and loaded it. Then I slung Sky's black powder bag, my bow, and my quiver over my shoulder. I rushed into the hall and almost crashed into Mary and Joanna. They were heading somewhere with their own pistols and muskets.

"Where can we shoot from?" I demanded.

"This way," Mary said and continued down the hall.

They led me up a ladder onto an enclosed platform on the roof. It was obviously a planned defense point and a lookout tower with a thick wall around it to shelter behind. We scanned the streets below, identifying enemies and friends.

"They look like Spanish pirates. I can tell by their loose-fitting pants. Aim carefully, don't hit our men or any women," Mary whispered as she leaned her rifle on the wall.

A small group was skirmishing up the street, moving in our direction. I could see a much larger group further south.

"Mary, don't shoot. Let me use my bow. It will draw less attention. Who were you aiming for?"

"That big brute in the hat fighting Mr. Thomas."

The humble shopkeeper was putting up an excellent sword fight against a weather-hardened pirate. I pierced the pirate's thigh with my first arrow, sending him to the ground, cursing. The ladies quietly cheered for me as I nocked another arrow. The second wave of fighters rushed up the street. My heart sputtered to see Sky among them. His face and clothes were splattered with blood, but he seemed uninjured as he planted his tomahawk into a Spaniard's skull from behind. My stomach churned from the brutality of it. Sky yanked the small ax free of the man's head and moved onto his next victim. Rain was a few yards behind him, slicing through a sailor's throat with her favorite dagger.

"Snow, keep your wits and keep shooting if you don't want us to," Mary warned.

I cursed under my breath and brought down three more pirates. Then I ducked behind the wall as pistol fire struck the roof. Someone had seen us.

"It's a small army! Where are they coming from?" I hissed.

"Keep shooting, Snow. Most of them used up their first shots already. I think we outnumber them. Let's keep up the pressure! Hold your ears!" Mary announced as she shot a pirate running towards the front porch of the inn, blasting a chunk out of his neck and sending him spinning to the mud.

"Great shot, Mama!" Joanna declared.

I was glad the moonlight didn't show the worst of the blood. I wasn't sure my stomach could take it. That's when I noticed three sailors running at Sky's back as he fought with their captain. Joanna saw it too and helped me take down two of them. The third pirate was ready to run Sky through, but Nasir sprang out of an alley and beheaded the third sailor with his scimitar. I let out a shocked cry of relief as Nasir turned and helped Sky take down the pirate captain. He chopped off his sword arm at the elbow, sending him howling to the mud. That was the turning point in the battle. The pirates heard their captain's screams and began fighting their way south, preparing to retreat.

"They're trying to run! Teach'em not to mess with Hartwell!" Flint yelled.

He rallied the villagers and led the charge south again, chasing down as many pirates as possible. I grabbed Sky's rifle and took down another one as Mary and Joanna fired their pistols into the chaos. The fighting swiftly moved out of shooting-range, so we rushed down from the roof to aid the injured. I kept my bow and knife ready as I followed Mary and Joanna into the streets. We stayed away from the shadows in case a straggler waited to ambush us. The noise of battle was dying away as we searched. We helped a few injured villagers into the inn before we started inspecting the bodies on the ground. The pirate captain was alive but not awake. Mary tied off his stump to keep him from dying before we continued our search for villagers. Some of our fighters were coming back towards the inn to report a victory for Hartwell. I burst into tears when I saw Sky running up the street with Rain and Ayita behind him. Sky crashed into me and clamped his arms around me. We squeezed each other breathless before we pulled away to search each other for injuries.

"Sky, stop. I'm fine. Are you alright?" I demanded.

He was the one covered in blood. He looked down at himself and showed me a few shallow cuts on his arms and side. None of them were serious.

"Are you two okay? Where are Eagle and Wolf?" I asked as I looked between Rain and Ayita.

They were as bloody as Sky.

"They are safe, and we are okay," Rain began. "We have small injuries. Eagle and Wolf are helping Flint and Nasir tend to the wounded that were shot in the first attack. Andy has a bad wound on his left arm, but he will survive. We came to check on you and collect bandages and medicine from Mr. Thomas."

Mary burst into tears and thanked God that her family survived when others weren't so lucky. The excitement of the attack kept everyone working late into the night. The dead pirates were stripped of their valuables, piled into a trench outside the village, and set ablaze. The dead villagers were lined up on the street and covered with blankets to await a proper burial in the cemetery. Nasir joined us at the Flint Arrow Inn as the last of the injured were being sent home to rest. His dark robes hid bloodstains better than our deer-skin leather. Sky approached Nasir and shook his hand, then he pulled him into his arms and hugged him. Nasir laughed and patted him on the back like a brother.

"You fight like a shabah alsahra, my silent friend. I hope I returned the favor," Nasir said as he drew away and searched Sky's blood-splattered face.

"What do you mean, Nasir?" I asked.

"The villagers and I were having a rough time outside the Spotted Owl Inn. I was about to be skewered by many blades when a desert ghost streaked by, or a 'shabah alsahra,' according to my people. We believe desert phantoms are the spirits of the deadliest warriors known to man. They are cursed to roam the wastelands for sending so many souls into the afterlife. I saw a ghost from the corner of my eye before two pirates fell, blood gushing from their throats. Sky appeared behind them as they fell. His eyes glinted in the moonlight like a phantom. I won't soon forget that sight."

Sky's brow furrowed as he listened to Nasir's retelling of events. I'm surprised he didn't roll his eyes at him.

"Anyone need a hand?" Wolf announced as he stepped into the dining room, waving the captain's severed arm towards Ayita.

She shrieked and jumped away from him.

"Wolf, touch me with that, I kill you," she warned.

"Wolf, throw that outside right now!" I grumbled, not wanting to vomit after our victory.

"Fine," he sighed and tossed it out the door.

A horrified cry immediately followed. It was the awakened pirate captain, watching his arm roll across the lawn.

"Good. He's awake," Nasir said as we watched Eagle and Flint escorting the injured sailor into the dining room.

They shoved him into a chair in the corner for an interrogation. The pirate knew little English, but that didn't deter Flint. He questioned him in Spanish for an hour straight, sometimes bribing him with whiskey. The pirate eventually refused to answer any more questions. That's when Wolf retrieved his arm from the lawn and proceeded to slap him in the face with it. The horror and revulsion on the captain's face were comical. He seemed more grossed out by his severed arm than I was.

I retreated upstairs as the interrogation continued. Sky joined me a few minutes later. I pulled him into my arms and took a deep breath, happy we were alive and whole. Exhaustion was wearing me down, but I seriously needed another bath. Sky and I were both covered in blood from the living and the dead. I reheated the bathwater and climbed in first. Sky helped me do a quick and thorough wash before we traded places. Once we were clean and dry, we climbed into bed and fell asleep in each other's arms. Dawn was barely two hours away at that point. We both missed breakfast.

Everyone gathered in the dining room at noon to eat and regroup. We planned to stay another night in Hartwell to help dig graves and rest before returning home. Flint informed us that the pirate captain wasn't aware of any more raids heading towards Hartwell. They planned to keep the man locked up until someone could take him to Charleston to collect the bounty on his head. Everyone agreed Nasir should receive part of the bounty for literally disarming the captain and saving Sky's life, but Nasir gracefully refused. He said the money would be better spent on strengthening Hartwell's defenses. He also had more traveling and shopping to do before he returned to Charleston to sail home.

"Forgive me if I rush off after lunch. Digging graves is not one of my strengths," Nasir announced.

"Mr. Nasir, you did more than enough to defend our village. You were under no obligation to help us, but you risked your life and health anyway. If anything, we owe you," Flint declared.

"Think nothing of it, my friends. If the tables were turned, I would hope for the same action and resolve from strangers. My impression of the New World has greatly improved since I came to Hartwell. The bravery and beauty among you would be coveted by royalty. I wish all of you happy lives and a fond farewell," he declared as he stood to leave, but then he hesitated. "Oh, one more thing before I go, would any of you happen to know where I can find a man named Rosemoor?"

Sky strangled on his tea and started coughing after that question.

"My dear, Sky, drink slowly. Don't be defeated by tea after our spectacular battle," Nasir said as he patted him on the back.

Sky nodded and coughed a few more times before he straightened up.

"Uh, we do not know anyone by that name, Nasir. Sorry, we can't be more help," Eagle said as he glanced at Sky.

Sky's eyes were wide with fear at that point.

"No apologies required. I will be at the Spotted Owl for the next half hour if anyone needs me. Then I'll be heading north. Farewell, my friends."

Nasir bowed before he sauntered out of the front door. Once he was gone, Sky quickly dug his notebook out of his pocket and scribbled a note, then he slid it across the table to me. He had written one word.

"Pirate."

To be continued...