Valentine Gift to Loving Wife

Story Info
The best gift is the one that returns to you.
13.3k words
3.82
41.6k
52
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Jared was home without a date or a party on Valentine's Day for perhaps the first time since he was sixteen. Anticipating spending Valentine's Day with his beloved wife, he had reserved some months earlier a table at a little restaurant. As it was, the reservation was honored because his wife was there, but tonight she was with another. And he had deposited her there.

Lisa had been a good wife to Jared. Solicitous, respectful, joyful and hard-working were among the attributes that described the woman with the beautiful body that had somehow ended up marrying Jared. She even seemed to love Jared. Jared considered himself lucky.

He met Lisa on what people would likely refer to as a rebound. Jared was a senior and Lisa was a sophomore at the local college when they met at the college's Valentine's Day social. Jared was fairly handsome in an ordinary sort of way. He dated, but, until Lisa, never found anyone with whom he truly wished to spend the rest of his life.

Lisa had come to the social with some friends. Until the prior Christmas, she had dated a guy with whom she had gone to high school and who had taken her virginity. As Jared later learned, "everyone" viewed them as a really matched couple and had expected that Lisa and Russell would stay together through college and then marry. Russell, however, had the brains to be admitted to an Ivy League university on the east coast, while Lisa could attend only the local college. The distance was discomforting, but the two stayed in touch texting and talking via their mobiles. They were together during the holidays that brought Russell back home, as well as their spring break and for almost the entire summer after the first year in college. The two expressed their love for one another and devoted substantial parts of their together time obtaining carnal knowledge of the other.

Beginning with their sophomore year, things cooled down as Russell obtained an internship and had to hit the books to maintain his grades. He remained at school for the Thanksgiving holiday. Moreover, Russell was not as available for texts or calls as he had been before. Russell was, in fact, spending more time with his new college friends of both sexes, and between the social commitments and hitting the books and an internship, he did not have much time to afford Lisa the time or effort to which she had become accustomed.

For her part, Lisa became increasingly frustrated and suspicious. After all, Jared was good-looking, smart and charismatic, and, very importantly, he provided great sex. He never left Lisa unsatisfied. Not unexpectedly, between Russell being a catch for any coed and his lack of effort and communication, Lisa suspected that Jared was less faithful than she expected of him.

The breaking point was reached over the Christmas holidays. Russell did come home for the holidays and spent time with Lisa, but much of his time was taken up with helping his parents get the house ready for Christmas and catching up with friends. Lisa was now suspicious of Russell and her disquiet began to cloud their relationship. Lisa was most upset that Jared chose to go skiing in Vermont with a group from his school during the week between Christmas and New Year. Lisa could not go because she did not ski and could not afford the trip, besides having other family obligations during the time.

Between Twitter and Facebook, however, Lisa got to follow Jared's exploits during that trip, and some of the photos did not display Jared at his faithful best. In fact, Jared had kept his cock inside his shorts, but his self-control ended there. Lisa was exposed to numerous photographs of Jared in situations that strongly suggested intimacy with the women on the trip.

"Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned." (William Congreve, The Mourning Bride, 1697). Despite Russell's protestations of innocence, Lisa was unconvinced and furious. Lisa still loved Russell, but decided that she could be hurt now or hurt later, and chose the former. "Don't tell me that nothing is going on. I can tell that the pictures are just the tip of the iceberg. I will not have a relationship with a cheater. We are done." She then ghosted him.

Lisa started dating others and ran into Jared at the Valentine's Day social. Jared was scruffier-looking than Russell, but he had that boyish charm and rugged look that appealed to several coeds. He met Lisa while in line for a beer, and the two struck a conversation, ending with Lisa giving Jared her number and agreeing to a date. They did start casually dating.

Jared was quickly smitten, but Lisa did not want to jump from one relationship into another, and she purposefully dated other guys. Jared understood Lisa's reluctance, but he wanted Lisa. Although somewhat frustrated and jealous of Lisa's dating others, Jared relentlessly continued his pursuit. Lisa became the center of his world, even if she was not always there for him. Jared's friends would comment that Jared was like a little puppy pursuing Lisa.

On Valentine's Day of her junior year, Jared took Lisa to a nice dinner, and gingerly asked her if the two could be exclusive. Jared had already attached himself to Lisa, and so he was asking her to commit to him and stop dating others. Lisa refused to promise to never go out with someone else. "Look, I like you Jared, and I like you a lot. But I need to be sure. Let's give it another year ... please." Lisa did like Jared and enjoyed being with him, but she could not overcome her feeling that Russell occupied too much of her heart to leave much room for Jared.

Lisa did entertain the advances of other guys, but she never dated anyone more than once because none were on the same par with Jared or Russell. Besides, she and Jared were good together. Besides, Lisa and her friends considered Jared to be a "catch." Lisa's mother also really liked Jared and thought Lisa had hit gold. She would always invite the two for any meal that could fit their schedules, during which she would hint about how weddings take a long time to plan. But while Jared would regularly profess his love, Lisa would simply respond with "I know" or "me too."

Two years after they met, on Valentine's Day of her senior year, Jared proclaimed his love and fidelity to Lisa on one knee and presented her with a stunning diamond. Lisa immediately accepted. Lisa's analytical mind had long come to realize that Jared met all her husband requirements. Jared was relatively good looking, personable, hard-working, mature and offered financial security of a good job at a large company, doing what he enjoyed. The two had continued to get along well and enjoyed each other's company and rarely argued. Both Lisa and Jared came to share each other's interests, including sex which was pleasurable for both. 'What more could I ask for,' Lisa asked herself. Even if she still had feeling for Russell, Lisa decided that she also loved, or thought she could learn to love, Jared. She was not about to take the risk of Jared hitting the open market with his assets.

Lisa and Jared were married the summer after her graduation. With Jared already working and now Lisa finding an entry-level job, they bought a home and started their married life. They were a handsome couple, witty and sociable, with some good friends. Although occasionally individually hit upon, both would have been aghast at the thought of stepping out of their marriage. Both were very supportive of each other, and both felt that each would be there for the other.

Still, Jared was far more passionate for his love of Lisa than she returned. Jared did not wear his emotions on his sleeve, but he was somewhat hurt that his beautiful and devoted soulmate never expressed her love for him as much or as passionately as he did for her.

* * *

In their third year of marriage, the two attended a BBQ with some of Lisa's friends from high school. As was their usual modus operandi, the couple would alternate between being together and circulating individually with others. At this party, after the two separated, Jared noticed that he had not seen Lisa for a while. He eventually found her sitting on a bench on the front porch with a guy that Jared did not recognize but with whom Lisa was having an intense conversation. He chose not to intrude, but, after another half-hour without Lisa, he returned to front porch where Lisa and the same guy were still talking. As Jared approached the two, Lisa noticed him, and got up. "Honey, guess who came to dinner? This is Russell. Russell this is my husband, Jared."

As the two shook hands, Lisa explained that Russell had convinced his company to open an office in his hometown and he returned to develop that office. "This was so shocked to run into Russell. So we have been because it has been a long time and a lot of water under the bridge." Russell then added, "Yes, a lot of things have changed, and many have remained the same. Jared, congratulations on winning the gold ring. Lisa is a one of a kind."

With that, Jared took his leave while Jared and Lisa returned to the BBQ hand in hand but neither saying anything. They continued to circulate and enjoy the BBQ until people started to leave. In the car Jared finally asked, "I guess there was a lot of catching up."

"Yes -- you know that Russell and I had been close, and we had not parted as friends. It was time for us to bury the hatchet."

"Did you?"

"Did I or we did what? Oh, bury the hatchet? Yes, of course," Lisa responded while turning her head to look straight ahead.

"Was he there with someone or has someone?"

Lisa remained quiet for what seemed to Jared to be a long time, before answering. "No he has not been with anyone since I broke up with him."

"So he was not cheating when you broke up?"

"Apparently not."

Jared could sense a siren starting to blare in his mind. "Did he say something along the line that he hasn't been with anyone because he could not replace you? Do I need to worry?"

"He did say that, although I don't know if I necessarily believe him. But to your other question, no, honey, you do not need to worry." After a pause she added, "You are my husband and a good one at that. You treat me like a queen and are always there for me. I am never going to leave you." Lisa then placed her hand on Jared's thigh and continued, "Just get us home and to our bed where I can show you how committed I am to you." The two ended in for some usual love-making, although Jared silently wondered if Lisa was thinking of him or Russell as she pushed her pussy onto his shaft.

In the next months, there were multiple occasions when Lisa would find herself at parties or other events where Russell was present, sometimes when Jared was there and sometimes when he was not. Lisa and Russell would occasionally hug hello or goodbye and occasionally touch each other arms in a friendly way while talking, but there were no tells or anything that would not pass the husband test. Jared remained at peace.

With the year ending, the two were at a New Year's party, and Russell was there. At midnight, Jared and Lisa kissed other, and then started to circulate with everyone else, and everyone was inebriated and hugging and kissing on the cheeks. Then Lisa and Russell came together and hugged and kissed directly on the lips. But then the two broke off and continued to circulate. Jared was somewhat upset, and on the way home asked,

"Maybe I am too sensitive, but I did not kiss any woman on the lips. Kissing Russell on the lips while hugging is something that I did not expect. It was public and in front of me and so it isn't cheating, but it seems over the boundary."

Lisa looked at Jared with a face that displayed both shock and annoyance. "I am sorry if it hurt you honey. But it was just a new year greeting between friends, and nothing more. You have nothing to worry about. Sometimes a kiss is just a kiss. Please don't make it more than it is." Lisa leaned over and kissed him on his cheek as Jared had to keep his eyes on the road.

Upon coming home, Jared and Lisa inaugurated the new year with the best sex in a long time. Jared noticed that Lisa was more vibrant than normal, for the first time, Lisa was moaning "I love you" as the two were in coitus. Jared was pleasantly surprised, but then started to wonder if Lisa expressed her love to mollify her kiss with Russell, or perhaps Lisa was thinking about Russell when she uttered those words.

In the following days, the kiss was forgotten, as Jared did not want to have a such a potentially ambiguous event cloud his relationship with the woman he truly loved. Jared remained comfortable and at peace with his marriage. Valentine's Day was coming up and it was a big event for Jared and Lisa -- that was the day they first met and when Jared had proposed to her. Thus, Jared made reservations for an ultimate of romantic dinners for Valentine's Day.

That comfort was shattered later in January. Lisa was working from home that day, and Jared was on the road. Rather than returning to the office after the trip, Jared decided to come home early. The garage door was open and so he walked into his home where he heard Lisa in the study talking loudly on the phone with someone. Jared could not help but hear Lisa's side of the conversation, and it hit with a lightning bolt.

"I know, but I cannot meet you for lunch or for a walk or anywhere where we are alone. I am sorry, but as much as I would love that, I cannot." Jared could not hear the other side of the conversation, but after a pause, Lisa continued. "You don't understand. To meet you alone would be suicidal. We may not plan on it, but your hand will brush against mine or we will hug, and I cannot trust either you or myself not to then take the next step and then next, and next." Another pause.

"It is because we love each other that we cannot meet. Even if we avoid touching each other, there will be emotional intimacy between us and that is already cheating even if we do not go further, and I am not sure that we could avoid going further once we start down this road." Pause.

"It is best for both of us if we simply avoid each other and avoid the hurt of seeing each other so frustratingly close and yet so unreachable." Another short silence.

"Yes, I said I still love you and I always had. I am so sorry that I split us, but I did, and I found Jared. He is a good man, and he has been, and will always be, there for me. He truly and absolutely loves me and tells me that I am his life. He trusts me completely. I could never hurt him by leaving him or cheating. And the only way that I can avoid hurting him is to avoid being alone with you like it was a plague." Pause.

"I don't care what words you use, any private get-togethers with you would be dates no matter how you try to avoid the word. I have promised myself to my husband and I cannot date you." Pause.

"You do excite me, but excitement is not a goal if it destroys my boring marriage." Pause

"I know I did not say that I love Jared, but it no longer matters whether I love him or love you more than him. I told you before, he is a really good man who totally loves me. He has devoted himself to me. He does not deserve a cheating wife, and I could never break the promises that I made before God and our families." Pause:

"We will still be friends and can see each other when other people are around. You will always have a place in my heart, and I truly hope that you will find a woman who can love you without the baggage that I would bring. But it must end like this, I am sorry. Goodbye."

Jared then heard Lisa quietly sob. He quietly snuck out of the house, and then returned loudly. Jared dropped his laptop bag in the study, where Lisa was still sitting. Lisa got up and greeted Jared with a warm kiss and a hug. "I did not hear the car pull-in. My mind must have been somewhere else. But I am just glad to see you home." Lisa tried to break away, but Jared continued to hold her in his arms. He could see a bit of red in her eyes. "I love you so much my sweetheart."

"I know that you do honey and I appreciate everything you do for me. Now let me get some supper started" she responded and turned to the kitchen.

The rest of the evening was normal and after dinner, Jared and Lisa cuddled watching a streaming serial they had been following. During a break between episodes, Lisa turned her head to Jared and asked "Honey can we talk about whether I should put away those pills? I know that you want a family and maybe we should not delay too much as you never know what may happen." She then looked into my eyes and giggled "I really want everyone to see me with your baby in me." She then gave me a deep kiss.

Jared returned her kiss because his love for her had never been stronger. He did wonder considering what he had overhead earlier, whether getting pregnant was a way that Lisa thought consciously or unconsciously that she could put a kibosh on Russell and her feelings for him.

As Jared broke the kiss, he stroked the side of Lisa's face and asked, "Would you love the children as much as you love me?" Lisa was shocked. "What kind of question is that? Of course I would love our children. I don't understand what brought that on."

Looking into her eyes he said, "When I came home, I said that I loved you. Do you recall your response -- it was 'I know that you do,' and then you turned to the kitchen." Lisa's eyes were darting between my eyes and down. Jared continued, "When is the last time that you said you loved me sweetheart except for that New Year's. I can't remember. Do you?"

Lisa now looked at Jared in horror, or at least great stress. "Honey, how can you even ask a question like that. You are my husband and my best friend. I love being with you and I want to carry your children. My fondest wish is that we grow old together until death do us part. Why are you asking these questions? Why?"

"You just expressed some wonderful thoughts including that you love being with me, but I still have not heard that you actually love me. Why is that so hard?"

"I'm sorry but I am a bit discombobulated by your questions" she responded looking into his eyes. After a brief pause, she continued "Yes, honey, I do love you and please never question our love again." But she seemed to look down as she uttered those words, only to again look in my eyes as she continued "Honey, we are one and will be here for each other always." She then smiled, "Unless and until you get rid of me."

The next two weeks reflected the turmoil that Lisa and Jared were both suffering internally. Lisa did everything to convince Jared, she loved him. She bought some new outfits from Victoria's Secrets and became more active and even perhaps desperate in bed. But there were times that Jared could see that Lisa's mind was elsewhere unconnected to him or her surroundings. Jared viewed her loving behavior was an effort to exorcise Russell from her psyche and prove to herself that she truly loved Jared and not Russell.

Then, one evening, Jared was working outside when he had to go into the house. He then overheard Lisa on another telephone conversation, which he soon gathered was with her mother. Then it came out again. "No mom, I think Russell has accepted the situation. He hasn't tried to reach me since we talked, and I am certainly not going to reach out to him." Pause.

"I know you like Jared, and be assured that I am committed to Jared. I just need to deal with my feelings for Russell. It is not easy. They are tenacious and stubborn. I think about Russell all the time, and it is sometimes hard to keep a lid on it." Pause.

"I don't know how I am going to purge my love for him. I am seriously thinking that maybe getting pregnant with Jared's baby will force Russell out of my head. I mentioned to Jared that we should start. I want a baby with Jared, and, if it liberates me from Russell so much the better." Pause.