All Comments on 'Valentine's Day in Wild Alaska 1983'

by yukonnights

Sort by:
  • 10 Comments
Alaska7Alaska7over 3 years ago

As an Alaskan of some years (since '65) I can relate to the elemental aspects of the tale. As a fool that has found himself far from home along not often travelled roads in the dead of winter I can relate to carly's plight as well.

enjoyed the tale, thank you.

ruddygoreruddygoreover 3 years ago

You're writing both characters as first person made it difficult to keep track of who was talking or thinking. Story would have been vastly improved if you managed to get around that.

SisterJezabelSisterJezabelover 3 years ago

I'm with Ruddy re the different voices, but I managed to work it out. A sweet story that makes me yearn even more for travel to be an option in this strange world we live in in 2021

Ravey19Ravey19over 3 years ago
Amazing

Lovely story, just right for this event.

I agree with ruddy and SisterJezzebel about writing in both characters voices. It didn't detract from the story but made it difficult to read at times. Once or twice I thought you made mistakes in who was talking / voicing their thoughts in a paragraph but in all honesty I glossed over them to continue reading.

Don't get me wrong; I admire anyone who can write here, and especially this well and, most probably, in their spare time to boot.

Nicely paced, full of detail and thought. Loved the ending, and not just them getting together.

A worthy 5 stars. Thanks.

AnonymousAnonymousover 3 years ago

Thank you for taking us with you to this amazing, captivating environment. I hope you'll surprise us more often with stories situated in this wild, rough, and isolated region that always manages to capture the imagination, describing the lives of those who thrive under harsh conditions, as this was a real treat!

SouthernCrossfireSouthernCrossfireover 3 years ago

Sweet and enjoyable tale with a great setting and understandable tension in the form of events, weather, and Carley’s secret (for as long as it lasted). The male assumption was understandable considering the likelihood of a female being caught out there at the time.

I’ll agree with the other commenters that having two first person perspectives without some designation of the switches made it harder to understand in places than it probably needed to be. Section breaks were used for some but not all of the transitions (at least as far as I understood it), so some backtracking and close reading was required to keep it straight (reading on a phone rather than a computer, which might have made some difference). With section breaks and good references (which are there in most cases), it’s easier to keep perspective straight, but some people even use the character name at the start to indicate perspective in each section.

Thanks for writing and sharing it.

BeneaththesurfaceBeneaththesurfaceover 3 years ago

As some of the others have stated, I had a difficult start with both characters POV, but got it figured out not far in, and got past that obstacle.

This isn’t my usual style/genre of erotic reading, but I was soon drawn into the characters and elements and felt like I was in the scene, I could even feel the variation in temperature.

yukonnightsyukonnightsover 3 years agoAuthor

To all who read this story, thank you. Also, thanks for commenting on the point-of-view issues. I do believe that it is this very present pov that makes these stories work — but, after reading it again I can see where I should have given a few more cues/clues to make the pov shifts more clear. It's from these kind of useful comments that I can glean information for improvement. ~ yukonnights

dmallorddmallordover 2 years ago

Sweet, loving story. What's more to say? It was such a good change of pace from some many others that lack the tender loving approach to sex with a stranger!

Others have noted the rough spots in writing - no need for me to add to it. Now, that you know them, an edit and refresh could knock those off for new readers - you know?

I enjoyed this very much! Rate: 5 more it it were possible.

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

Chicken Alaska is a real place. While there is no ferry across the Yukon river in the winter, there is an ice bridge which is in use when the river freezes over. The Dawson locals jokingly tell the tourists that in the spring the ice bridge is carefully taken apart and everyone takes a piece home to store in their freezer, so that it can be reassembled when the weather gets cold again.

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous
useryukonnights@yukonnights
a true romantic who believes; that love is more powerful than hate...that kindness is stronger than cruelty...that sex fueled by true love is better than sex fueled by lust alone...that there is good in all people, it's just hard sometimes to find... edit 12-2013) It's been...