Varna Ch. 07

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

- "I..." Seirye was uncharacteristically struggling to find words. Then she did. "I'm sorry. I'm not willing to be second. I may not be the greatest prize in all of Leinyere, but... I have too much pride to be second in my own house."

- "You needn't be second." said Glasha. "There is room in Tauma's heart for both of us."

Seirye attempted a half-smile. "Again - I'm sorry. I'm sure that you mean well. But, to me... not being first is the same as being second."

- "I'm sorry, too." said Glasha.

That seemed to surprise Seirye more than anything else we'd said. But she recovered once more.

- "May I ask you a question, Lord? Why is it... you never asked about the size of my dowry?"

I told her the truth. "I didn't think about it. It didn't seem important."

- "Oh." I don't believe that Seirye had expected that answer. She seemed at a loss for words.

- "He isn't like his brothers." said Glasha, softly. "They all asked, didn't they?" Glasha stepped forward, and whispered something I couldn't hear.

Then she stepped back, and we left together. Glasha didn't tell me what she'd said: if she wanted to, she'd let me know later.

We'd done what she asked for; now it was time for what I wanted. Together, we circled the bonfire, until we found Gerdar Tanle and her daughter, Saska. They were standing with their backs to the great bonfire, along with Enneiros, the captain of my father's elven archers. Enneiros had trained all of my brothers with the bow, and knew us well.

- "Lord Tauma." said the Gerdar, even as she saw Glasha with me.

- "Lord. Hello Glasha." said Enneiros. "I will make myself scarce, then."

- "There's no need for you to leave," I said, "unless Gerdar Tanle would prefer it."

- "I think it wiser." said Enneiros. "I hope to see you back on the training field, Lord Tauma - you've been remiss of late." With that parting shot, he turned and walked off.

That left me an opening. I rushed into it.

- "Gerdar Tanle. Lady Saska. May I present my lover, Glasha?"

Both women turned to look at Glasha.

- "How do you do?" said the Gerdar.

- "Pleased to meet you." said Saska.

Glasha was stunned. I was astonished. Neither of the Tanle women were the slightest bit surprised to meet Glasha - or to hear her described as my lover.

- "You... you knew? You expected this?"

Gerdar Tanle ignored me for a moment, as she fixed her one eye on Glasha.

- "Your father and I had a long talk," she said, "before we left home to come here. He told me that Tauma was the best of the Duke's sons, but that he had a mistress. Your pardon - a lover. Rhigen said that he would not give you up. But I'll admit that both of us wondered if he would try to... hide you."

- "You could have told me that you knew about Glasha." I said.

- "It was more interesting to wait and see." she said. "If it matters, Enneiros also spoke well of you."

- "You know Enneiros, too?"

- "My husband was his first cousin." she said.

I glanced at Saska, only to find that she was more interested in Glasha than in me. The two young women were looking at each other, eye to eye.

"Perhaps we should give them a moment." suggested the Gerdar. Glasha turned to me briefly, nodded once, and then returned to studying Saska.

Gerdar Tanle led me a short distance away, just out of earshot. The crackle of the flames and the snapping of sparks made it unlikely that anyone would overhear us.

"Am I to understand that you are seriously interested in Saska?" she asked. "That you might be considering her as a potential bride?"

Gerdar Tanle was much cleverer than I was. She'd also shown that she could be brutally frank. I was going to gain nothing by honeyed phrases; honest was the only policy available to me.

- "Last night, she was one of two - of three candidates that I discussed with Glasha. Tonight... she is the only one."

- "That was quick. What happened to the other two?"

- "One is already promised to my brother. The other could not accept Glasha."

Gerdar Tanle stared at me. She had turned so that her undamaged eye was towards me, and not the wreckage of the other side of her face.

- "It's rude," she said, "but I have to ask: who were they?"

I had nothing to gain by concealing their identities, and there would be no damage done to their reputations. Full disclosure, then. "Talanassa Albo and Seirye of Portoa."

- "Albo's daughter. A half-elf. And she's to marry... Nathal?"

- "Yes." Considering Tanarive, it wasn't too difficult to make that guess.

- "Interesting. And now you're considering my daughter. Is it a marriage of convenience that you offer?"

- "Convenience?"

- "A marriage in name only." said Gerdar Tanle.

- "No. I love Glasha. I always will. But my father insists that I marry. He was very clear about it: if I do not choose a bride from among the dozen he has selected, he will choose one for me. And there are several choices he could make which I could not stomach."

- "I see."

- "And I am not marrying for myself, but also for Glasha. It has to be someone who could accept her presence in both of our lives."

- "And you think that Saska could?"

- "I will have to ask her, Lady."

- "Good answer." Gerdar Tanle turned slightly, to avoid breathing in a cloud of smoke. The wind had veered again, and was now blowing directly towards us.

I went to stand beside her, with my back to the bonfire.

- "Were it not for Glasha, Saska would still be at the top of my list. She is beautiful, and intelligent, and... and I see kindness in her eyes."

Gerdar Tanle was silent for a moment. Then she said: "These are things you might want to say to her."

I smiled then. And smiled again when I realized what the Gerdar was implying.

- "Does that mean that you would look on my suit with favour? That you could accept Glasha?"

- "That's up to Saska. It's her decision. But she knows that we cannot afford many more Tanarives. A marriage for her, into the Duke's family could help... we need a friendly voice in Elmina."

Now I understood why Saska had asked me about Tanarive last night.

- "Is it so bad?"

- "You've seen it yourself." she said. "I have human tenants who believe that they should have the right to dispossess half-elves. I have neighbours who criticize me for allowing elves and half-elves into my home. What would they say if they knew that I also welcome the fey? We heard of you years ago, Tauma, when you thrashed that scholar who insulted your friend. I only learned recently that it was Glasha - when Rhigen told me."

She turned her head away, as the smoke swirled around us. I waited for her to continue.

"Then you came to visit on your tour. You seemed like a pleasant young fellow. But Tanarive - that's what told us who you were. And wasn't Glasha with you?"

- "She was."

- "There you go." she said. "I'm in favour of this union. I wouldn't have brought Saska to Elmina, otherwise. I certainly didn't expect your older brothers to propose to her. But it's her choice, and you'd best remember that."

My heart was full. I thought I might cry - but that was probably the wood smoke. And then I remembered what I had to tell Gerdar Tanle.

- "There's more to it than you know." I said.

Full disclosure. I told her about my father's illness, and his failure to nominate Aludar as his heir. I shared my suspicion that Father was setting us up for some sort of competition. It could, I feared, turn into a struggle for the succession.

"You - or Saska - could be choosing sides in a potentially very nasty situation."

- "Is that why Tir Albo contracted with your brother Nathal? And your brother Aludar with the Esins?"

- "I think so."

Gerdar Tanle put her hand on my shoulder. "I hope that you're wrong. I pray that it doesn't come to anything like that. But... if it does... we may end up needing each other."

I didn't think that I was wrong. But that didn't meant that I knew what was coming next.

"Let's see what our girls are up to." said Gerdar Tanle.

They were hugging. Glasha and Saska Tanle had their arms around each other, and were still talking, their faces only inches apart. Glasha saw us coming, and whispered to Saska. They both turned around.

Saska Looked to her mother, and then to me.

- "We should speak again tomorrow." she said.

On that note, we split up. The Tanles went one way, while Glasha took my arm and drew me in the opposite direction.

- "What happened?" I asked her.

- "Do you want to know what I said to Seirye?"

- "What?" I was dying to know what she and Saska had said to each other. But Glasha wasn't about to be rushed. Fine, then: I would play along.

- "If you want to tell me." I said

- "I said that I would talk to her tomorrow, if she liked. I don't believe that she'll abandon her pride, but... she'll have regrets."

- "I see."

- "Do you want to know what I said to Saska? And what she said to me?"

- "If you want to tell me."

- "You'll have to ask her."

- "Glasha!"

- "I like her. And... I think she likes me. But she wouldn't commit to anything, Tauma. Except that she's willing to talk to you tomorrow."

I lay awake for a long time, imagining a disputed succession. And Saska Tanle.

***

Father had organized a breakfast. It was a repeat of the trestle tables in the Great Hall. As I walked in, Merik stepped into me, and elbowed me in the chest.

- "Asshole!" he muttered.

I took that to mean that Larka had made it through the night with her virtue intact - and that Merik blamed me. I could live with that. In fact, I would wear it as a badge of honour.

My father made a short speech before the food was served. He informed all of our guests that his sons would arrange marriages for themselves before dusk, tomorrow - or that he, as Duke, would do so for us.� � � � � � � � � � � � �

It was hardly the best invitation to enjoy a morning meal.

Immediately after the breakfast, I found my sister. She was the best person in my family, and she deserved to know.

- "There's more to this." I told her. I described some of the things that had happened last night, and explained what Glasha and I thought might be going on - including the question of the succession.

- "I know." she said. "I talked to Aludar. He just wanted you to marry someone who would get along with cousin Bathene. That's what he said, at least."

I told her what Glasha and I had seen, and deduced. "If Father was truly sick, wouldn't that have been a good time to name Aludar his heir? Why didn't he?"

Sanatha was no fool. She might be more optimistic than me, more prepared to find a positive explanation for things - but she could tell which way the wind was blowing.

- "So these marriages are... important."

- "Well, Aludar and Bathene - that's no accident. Nor is Nathal and Talanassa Albo. But it will be interesting to see what Merik does."

- "And Toran?"

- "I hadn't even considered him. Do you know what he's up to?"

- "No. But what about you?" said Sanatha.

- "I've pinned my hopes on Saska Tanle." I admitted.

- "Really?"

After breakfast, I waited for the Tanles - or they waited for me, giving me a moment with my sister. Gerdar Tanle seemed quite relaxed - even unconcerned. Saska was far more... intent.

- "Lead on." she said.

I brought them to my modest chamber, where Glasha waited.

- "Would you like to go elsewhere?" I asked.

- "This is fine." said the mother. Meanwhile, her daughter sat down on the edge of my bed, and tapped the mattress, inviting Glasha to join her.

"I have some questions." said Gerdar Tanle. "Let's address those first."

- "Alright." I said. I took a deep breath.

- "Not for you, Tauma." said Saska's mother. "My first question is for Glasha: what are you hoping for, out of all this? What do you want?"

Glasha looked down. She was smiling, though. When she looked up, at Gerdar Tanle, she didn't hide her happiness. She was like a prized student who had studied precisely that question, and knew the answer backwards and forwards.

- "An admirable woman, to be Tauma's wife." she said. "Someone that I can be proud to know, who will be good to him, and good for him - that's important, because he doesn't always know what's in his best interests. But if I can dream - and I have - I would like a woman who could be my friend, as well."

Saska Tanle smiled. Her mother was less easily convinced.

- "Saska's children will rule in my lands, eventually. They will also be Tauma's legitimate offspring. Have you considered that?"

- "I have." said Glasha. "I am illegitimate, myself - as you know. I don't have a strong mothering instinct. But I would be delighted to be an aunt, and to spoil Saska's children."

- "You don't see her as a rival?"

- "For Tauma's affections? No, Lady Tanle. We would certainly not be enemies - and we might even become good friends. Or even sisters."

Gerdar Tanle spent a good, long time studying Glasha. She knew Rhigen, and she knew Glasha's background. Her one-eyed examination went on for some time, and Glasha bore it patiently.

- "Then perhaps Tauma and Saska should spend some time together." said Gerdar Tanle. "I understand how important Glasha is, in this relationship. But perhaps the two principals should get to know each other before we go any further."

- "Agreed." I said. I offered Saska my hand. "Glasha - could we borrow your cloak? I thought I'd take Saska down to the river."

- "That's a very good idea." said my lover.

Gerdar Tanle stayed behind, with Glasha. I took Saska's hand, and led her out of the Palace.

We ran into Yazgash and Durgat almost immediately. I performed the necessary introductions.

- "You were at Tanarive." said Saska.

Yazgash grinned. "We were."

Big Durgat was almost blushing. "And I'm told that you're particularly good at stealing horses." Saska said to him.

Yazgash and I burst into laughter. Durgat didn't seem to mind too much.

- "Stay with them." said Yazgash. "Out of sight, but close enough to call. I'll have Murzosh and two more follow you at a distance."

- "Thank you." I said.

- "No trouble." said Yazgash.

Saska and I continued on our way, secure in the knowledge that we had people looking out for us.

- "They like you." said Saska.

- "I like them."

- "Is it because of Glasha? Because of the fight with the scholar?"

- "Partly. Yazgash and Enneiros both approved."

- "Because you defended a non-human?"

We had reached the edge of the river by then. I didn't answer her right away, because we were close to the first of Glasha's favourite spots.

- "Saska - I just reacted. That fellow insulted my friend. It was wrong. I know that what I did was right, but I didn't do it to impress anyone - or to make friends."

- "That's why it was a good deed." she said. "That was why it struck a chord with so many of us."

- "I'm not some sort of champion for the non-human races. Look at me. I'm... just a man. And a flawed one, at that."

- "I know." she said. Just that - two words. No more.

I wasn't sure what to say, after that. But Gerdar Tanle had suggested that I spend time with her daughter, and Saska had agreed.

- "What do you want, Saska?" I asked her.

Saska smiled. "I'm not quite sure, Tauma. We'd heard of you - my mother told you that. And you must know that I didn't come to Elmina to marry one of your brothers. That's not what this is about, at all."

- "You didn't answer my question."

Saska nodded. "I don't know what I expected." she said. "A prince, who would offer me the moon and the stars... and then disappoint me later? Or derision, and laughter behind my back? I wasn't expecting you."

- "Me?"

- "I thought that my prince would promise me everything. I wasn't prepared for you, Tauma. You've offered... nothing."

My mouth opened, but I had no idea what to say. What Saska had just said sounded awful - and yet she didn't seem to be angry.

"In fact," she continued, "you've done just about the opposite of what I would have expected. You downplayed your role at Tanarive. You've told me that I would have to share you - that the best I could hope for is a piece of your heart. Then you inform us that a marriage could create political problems for us."

- "I... I wanted you to know the truth."

- "The truth?" said Saska Tanle. "The truth is that we came to Elmina looking for an ally. We thought that you could be the one we were looking for. And what did you do? You warned of us of all the potential difficulties that a connection with you might entail. You are a terrible negotiator, Tauma." She smiled. "Another thing that I like about you."

- "You do?"

- "Did you even think to ask about my dowry?"

- "Umm..." Seirye of Portoa had asked me the same thing.

- "You will have to leave negotiations and haggling to me, or to my mother - unless Glasha is better at it. You would be far too likely to sell yourself short."

I was a bit fuddled by some of the things she'd said, but I was beginning to catch the gist of it.

- "Saska? Are you saying...?"

- "Yes, Tauma. I will marry you. If you will have me..."

***

We agreed - the four of us - to keep our agreement to ourselves until tomorrow. I asked for only one exception: my sister Sanatha.

- "Tell me about her." said Gerdar Tanle.

Glasha was barely able to contain her excitement until we were safely back in our chamber. Only then did she wrap her arms around me and bury her face in my chest.

- "Oh, Tauma...."

- "Are you alright, love?"

She looked up at me, with tears glittering in her eyes.

- "I can't tell you how happy I am."

- "Are you certain? Absolutely certain?"

- "I don't feel like I'm losing you. Not at all." she said. "Instead, it's as though I'm gaining a sister. And a family."

Glasha had never had a family, unless you counted the barracks fraternity that had taken her in. Her father, Rhigen, could only be an occasional presence in her life. My sister had been kind to her, but my family was no safe haven, no shelter against the troubles of the world. In fact, my family was the source of most of those troubles.

- "I feel the same." I said. "I like Saska. I respect her. There's no danger that I'll ignore her - and I certainly don't want to cause her harm."

- "I'll be there to make sure that you don't." said Glasha.

***

The following day, I took the advice of my lover and of my future mother-in-law: I flirted with Meghra Aspar and Benaz Corig. Let Nathal and Aludar make of that what they would.

I also found some time to be alone with my sister, and to tell her that I was going to marry Saska Tanle.

- "Really?" said Sanatha.

- "Really."

- "And... you're pleased, Tauma? And Glasha?"

Sanatha was afraid that I'd made a political bargain, to counteract what Aludar and Nathal were doing. I was able to reassure her.

- "Glasha is happy. She's found a sister. I have tremendous respect for Saska, and for her mother. I believe that this will work out for all of us."

Sanatha gave me a hug. "In that case, I'm delighted for you, brother."

That evening, my father hosted a final banquet for his guests, the female candidates and their relatives. The food was reasonably good; the Duke could afford to be generous, because most of his guests would be leaving the next day, empty-handed or not.

Again, he limited himself to a (very) few words, and then gave way to Gedere, Nathal's poet. Gedere explained, in rather sombre tones, that each of the Duke's sons would announce their choice, one at a time - to be followed immediately by the lady in question (or her guardian or male relative). At the end of this unnecessary drama, the Duke would choose a wife for any of his sons who had failed to find a willing bride.