Varna Ch. 07

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Unnecessary drama: that's what it was.

Aludar was invited to stand, and declare himself. My elder brother rose, and steepled his fingers his fingers in that habitual gesture I'd seen him do a thousand times.

- "I choose Bathene Esin." he said.

Her brother Viken surged to his feet. "House Esin accepts Lord Aludar's suit." Bathene's role in the proceedings, it seemed, was to be limited to smiling and nodding her head.

I'd been pleased for them both, weeks ago. Now I wondered if their relationship could sustain the political pressures it would be subject to. My father. My mother. Tir Esin. And Aludar himself; these past few days, I hardly recognized the brother I had loved best.

Gedere had a poet's timing; he allowed the chatter to die down, and the anticipation to build again, before he called upon my brother Merik.

Merik stood, with a sly grin twisting the corner of his mouth. He looked about the hall, letting his gaze rest on some of the more attractive women present. I could only presume that he believed that he was leaving feminine hearts a-flutter in his wake. Then he turned to face our father.

- "I choose Shurkka Storum."

There was a bit of a stir at his words. Merik had been paying court to Larka of Portoa (and to several others), which had significantly disguised his real intentions.

Tir Storum took his time, but eventually stood.

- "House Storum accepts Lord Merik's suit." he said.

Shurkka herself sat still, with a smirk on her face. What a match that would be, I thought: two of my least favourite people, joined as one. They probably deserved each other. Still - an alliance between Merik and the Commander of my father's Guard was worrisome.

Gedere waited a suitable time before calling on the next brother.

Nathal rose, and began surveying the room. A smile here, a nod there... Nathal wasn't leering at the females; he was connecting with people, using his charm. He kept us waiting much longer than necessary.

- "I choose Talanassa Albo." he said, finally.

I felt sorry for her, once again. It might have been wasted emotion, on my part. Her father stood. Tir Albo's hairline had receded a little further, I thought, just as his waistline had expanded a little more. But the beetling brows were the same.

- "House Albo gladly accepts Lord Nathal's suit." he said.

Now the buzz in the room lasted considerably longer. The guests were beginning to see something more than a selection of brides.

Aludar had re-connected himself to his mother's family, the most influential clan in the north, virtual rulers of Whydah. Merik, meanwhile, had chosen to ally himself to Tir Storum, the second most powerful man in Elmina after the Duke. Storum also had connections all over the south.

Now Nathal was linking himself to Tir Albo, a power in the west, who also had estates on both sides of the river Varna.

Was this what my father wanted? Was this what he had anticipated?

Gedere didn't wait for complete silence before he called my name. I rose, and looked only at my intended.

There was no need to play games, here. I could care less what others thought of the union I was about to propose. This was between Saska, her mother - and Glasha and me.

- "I choose Saska Tanle."

To my surprise - and delight - it was Saska herself who rose to answer. Her eyes never left my face.

- "I accept you." she said.

There was a bit of a stir there - perhaps more for her unorthodox phrasing than for the unexpected match. It didn't matter to me.

Gedere called on my youngest brother. I have to admit, I was as curious as anyone about what he would say. Even Sanatha had been left in the dark. Would Toran choose a bride, or leave it up to Father to pick one for him?

Toran stood. His blonde hair was freshly braided, but he was flushed, red-faced.

- "I choose Adjan Moksha." he said.

Oh... no.

I should have been aware of what my little brother was up to. I should have asked him what he was thinking. I was too absorbed in my own decision, and distracted by Aludar, Merik and Nathal. Glasha had been foremost in my mind, of course.

But I'd paid more attention to Talanassa Albo and Seirye of Portoa than I had to my own brother. It was my failing.

Toran and Adjan Moksha.

That was no match. She was a mature young woman who hated my brother Merik - with good reason. Toran was a boy. At 17, I had been considerably more mature. Toran lacked toughness, confidence, and experience.

Then I saw Tir Moksha stand. Adjan's brother was only 20, red-haired and blue-eyed. But there was no mistaking his confidence, or his attitude.

- "House Moksha accepts Lord Toran's suit." he said.

My youngest brother was now connected to the most powerful family in the East.

My four brothers were all going to marry the daughters or sisters of Tirs.

I was going to marry Saska Tanle - the half-elven daughter of a Gerdar. And I was very happy with that thought.

*****