Varna Ch. 07

Story Info
Choices.
8.1k words
4.89
10.3k
16

Part 7 of the 17 part series

Updated 06/11/2023
Created 01/21/2022
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
AspernEssling
AspernEssling
4,333 Followers

The luncheon was a great feast, not only for the prospective brides, but for their parents or guardians as well. Father's audience chamber simply wasn't big enough, so he'd cleared the furnishings of the Great Hall, and filled it with trestle tables, covered with white linen. My father was parsimonious, at best; it must have been killing him to calculate the financial costs of displays such as this.

He sat at the centre of a high table, with three of his children to either side of him. Aludar, Nathal and Sanatha were on his right; Merik, Toran and I were on the left, with me in the middle of the three.

We'd never sat like this in our entire lives. Father had always made us present ourselves in order of age, from left to right - but had he done that, I would've ended up sitting next to him - at his right hand. Of course that wouldn't do. I thought that he might have placed Sanatha beside him, but he hadn't done that, either. Perhaps he didn't want to attract too much attention to her, at this stage.

There were five tables for the guests, set up perpendicular to the high table: two for the Tirs, two for the Gerdars, and one for the Portoans.

My Uncle Esin hadn't made the trip from Whydah. Whether it was out of loyalty to his sister, or to avoid an awkward scene with his estranged brother-in-law, I didn't know. It meant that Bathene was escorted by her boastful ass of a brother, Viken. He was busily ogling all of the young women. I caught her eye, looked in her brother's direction, and rolled my eyes. She smiled back. I raised my glass to her.

It was impossible not to notice Talanassa Albo. For one thing, her father was seated next to her, and the sight of him took me straight back to Tanarive. But she stood out on her own; she was easily the most attractive of the Tir daughters. I didn't raise my glass to her, but only because her father was looking right at me.

I couldn't read his expression. It wasn't contrition - but it wasn't animosity, either. Calculation? Reserved judgment?

I turned my gaze to the side of the hall, where the Portoans were seated. I couldn't help noticing Larka first - she was that beautiful. But she was blushing, and giggling, and didn't see me. I glanced to my immediate right; Merik was leering at her, and flashing her toothy smiles. That didn't bode well.

Seirye was looking my way. She'd been watching me for at least a few moments. I raised my glass to her, and she returned the gesture, but... was she disappointed in me? I barely knew Seirye, yet for some reason I felt that keenly.

I made eye contact with a few others, and exchanged nods, before I finally located Saska Tanle. She was seated next to her mother. Gerdar Tanle saw me, and gave me a slow nod. She'd done nothing to disguise the massive scar stretching from her cheek to her forehead, or the cloudy eye which she could no longer see out of. She was undaunted, unapologetic.

And there was her daughter, a bright, lovely girl with those unfortunate ears. If only she had her mother's confidence, or attitude.

There was far too much food - and probably too much drink, as well. Some of the guests appeared to be a little the worse for wear, afterwards.

A walk through the 'gardens' (more of a lap around the Palace grounds) wasn't a bad idea, under the circumstances. The company moved out of the hall, and out into the brisk autumn air.

There was a bit of a breeze; cloaks were donned, and a sensible few changed into more practical footwear. While that was going on, my sister appeared at my side.

- "Well." she said. "Not what I expected. Not at all."

- "It's a bit mad, isn't it?"

- "Yes. Or no - I mean: how can you possibly choose? There are so many beautiful girls here."

- "It's not all about beauty, San." I said.

- "Maybe not for you - you've got Glasha. But still... beauty counts for something, doesn't it?"� � � � � � � � � � � � �

I just grinned, and shook my head. "I'm more interested in finding someone who'll accept Glasha - and vice versa."

- "That's important. I understand. Listen - I know that it's none of my business who you marry. But... then again... it is. Will you tell me who you're considering, before you do it?"

- "Of course. I can tell you now: Talanassa Albo, Seirye of Portoa, and Saska Tanle. I could change my mind, but those three are the most interesting."

Sanatha leaned forward, and kissed me on the cheek.

- "Thank you, Tauma." she said.

- "For what?"

- "You're the only one who never bosses me around. You never tell me what to do. And you're the only one who treats me... as an equal." Sanatha was on the verge of tears. I enfolded her in my arms, and held her close.

- "And you're the only one who wants me to be happy." I said. "That's a priceless gift - I'll never forget it."

We had a good little cry together. When we finally rejoined the others, we could only catch up to the tail of the procession - which included Tir Albo and his daughter.

Sanatha was irresistible: she linked her arm with Tir Albo, and asked him if he'd seen the view over the river. He didn't have a hope of resisting her.

- "Have you seen the view of the river?" I asked Talanassa.

- "I suspect that I'm about to." she said. But she accepted my offered arm, and we moved to the overlook, at least fifteen metres from where Sanatha had steered Tir Albo.

Talanassa took in the view, which was quite nice. But then she bowed her head.

- "You've recruited your sister to help you?" she said, softly.

- "She seems to have volunteered. I really can't keep her from doing what she wants to."

- "Oh?"

I raised my hands, palms outward. "I'm completely innocent. I didn't ask her to do this. All I did was answer her question truthfully."

- "And what did she ask?" asked Talanassa, mildly amused.

- "Um... she asked me which of the potential brides I found most attractive."

- "You mentioned my name? Lord Tauma - are you flirting with me?"

- "I'm being honest, really. I'm sorry. I might also have indicated to Sanatha that you were the most appealing, as well."

- "Appealing?" Talanassa looked confused for a moment. "How does that differ from attractive?"

- "You don't need me to tell you what you can see for yourself in the looking glass. Nor do you need me to remind you of your own worth. No - I don't find you vain, or arrogant. But confident... yes."

- "So... confidence is appealing."

- "Yes. As are intelligence, composure, and consideration. You have those qualities in abundance as well."

Talanassa inclined her head. There was a slight flush on her features.

- "In the interest of honesty..." she began. Then she raised her eyes. "I was wrong, last night. You were right, when you suggested that... that my father might not approve."

- "Ah."

- "In fact, it has already been decided. I am to marry your brother."

I felt like I'd had a bucket of cold water dashed in my face.

- "Nathal?" I shouldn't have been surprised. In fact, I was more disappointed than surprised. Nathal didn't deserve someone like Talanassa. So of course I said the exact opposite.

"He is very fortunate. I hope that you'll be very happy."

- "Tauma?"

- "Yes?

- "Would you have told me about your mistress? Glasha? My father told me about her last night."

- "Yes." I said. "In fact, don't be surprised if she approaches you at some point today."

- "Oh?"

- "Yes - you see, I told her about you last night."

Tir Albo chose that moment to rejoin us. Sanatha had distracted and delayed him as long as she could. I was polite for a few moments, and then excused myself. Sanatha came along with me.

- "Well?"

- "It's too bad." I said. "I quite liked her." I told my sister what Talanassa and I had said to each other.

- "Nathal? Already?" said Sanatha. She looked thoughtful. "Then this was arranged in advance."

My thoughts exactly. Tir Albo had decided to give his daughter to my brother before this gathering - possibly even before Tanarive. This could not be a reward for Nathal's past services, because he'd failed (thanks to my intervention, and the timely arrival of Yazgash and her half-orcs).

This was an inducement. Nathal and Tir Albo were committing themselves to further cooperation. This was an alliance - but would it serve my Father's interests, or Nathal's?

We'd caught up to a group who were strolling very casually. They seemed to be in no particular hurry. I saw Saska Tanle and her mother among them. I quickly glanced at my sister.

- "Go ahead." she said. "I'll catch up with you later."

I went straight over to the Tanles.

- "Gerdar Tanle." I said, with a slight bow. "It's a pleasure to see you again. I hope that we're repaying your hospitality - at least a little."

- "Nice to see you again." said the scarred, one-eyed Gerdar. "I'll leave you two a moment together." With that, she left me alone with her daughter.

I was shocked at how quickly she moved away.

- "That was... abrupt." I said.

- "She likes you, Lord Tauma." said Saska Tanle. I glanced at her. She was wearing a hood of sorts. It was cool enough outside that a head covering could be justified, but I suspected that the young half-elf was more intent on disguising the shape of her ears.

- "Well, that's good." I said. "I was very impressed when I first met her."

- "Most people are."

- "It's too bad that you were too young when I visited your lands. I would have enjoyed meeting you then. We wouldn't be such strangers, now."

- "Hmm."

Poor girl. Her mother had dragged her here. That was my impression, anyway. And then she surprised me.

"Lord Tauma - would you tell me what happened at Tanarive?"

- "Ah - you mean, from my perspective?"

- "Isn't that the only way you can tell a story?"

- "Yes. I merely meant to say that... my account might be biased. Is biased."

- "I understand." she said. "Ideally, I would have liked to be there, to see for myself. But I would still like to hear your... version."

Was that the ghost of a smile on her lips?

I probably told her more than she expected to hear, since I began my tale here, in Elmina, when my father assigned Nathal and me to go to Tanarive. I described our competition on the way, and what I discovered when we arrived.

Saska listened attentively to everything I said.

- "I must admit," she said, "I'm quite surprised."

- "Oh?"

- "I've heard two other... accounts of the tale so far. In both of those... renditions, considerable importance was attached to a certain arrow... yet you've skipped over it so quickly, I could be forgiven for questioning whether you were even there, my Lord."

I'd misjudged Saska Tanle. Like everyone else, I'd seen her extraordinary ears, and imagined that I understood how much isolation she'd had to endure. Was that sympathy, or empathy? Still, I'd made the same mistake as everyone did, defining her by the size and shape of her ears.

She was more than that. Clever. Quick-witted. Stronger-willed than she looked.

I apologized, and I told her exactly why I was asking her pardon.

- "I understand." she said.

- "Perhaps. But I should never have done that. My best friend in the world is part orcish, and part... elven. I know what she's had to endure. I should have known that you could go through something similar, and yet come through it, to be your own person. I'm very sorry."

Saska Tanle was silent for a moment. Then she said: "Thank you, Lord Tauma. I appreciate you saying that."

I could only nod.

"But... would you please tell me about the arrow?" she said. "From your perspective, of course."

By the time I had finished re-telling the tale, and answering her questions, we had very nearly completed our circuit of the Ducal 'Palace' complex. Gerdar Tanle chose that moment to rejoin us - she'd been following us just out of earshot the whole time.

- "Thank you, Gerdar," I said, "for allowing me this time with your daughter."

Gerdar Tanle laughed. "I think it was Saska who allowed you the time." she said.

Sanatha rejoined me just as the Tanles moved off.

- "That looked interesting."

- "It was."

- "There you are!"

My brother Aludar joined us. He was in an expansive mood: he wrapped an arm around Sanatha on one side, and the other around me, and then drew us both into a tight hug. Aludar leaned closer to me, and whispered in my ear. "Benaz Corig looks good, doesn't she?"

She did. But her family were allies of the Esins, and my brother was playing politics, or trying to manipulate me. I didn't care for it.

- "Don't play with me, Aludar." I said. "You know where my heart lies."

- "I'm sorry. Perhaps I shouldn't have said that. But... take another look, when you can."

He chatted with us for a bit, and then moved off, hailing Adjan Moksha and her brother, Tir Moksha.

My sister and I exchanged a look.

- "What was that?" she said.

- "I don't know."

- "I'm going to find out." said Sanatha. She slipped away to follow Aludar.

The moment she was gone, Nathal joined me. He was even less subtle - he didn't bother to whisper.

- "Meghra Aspar isn't bad at all - wouldn't you say?"

- "Yes, she's very nice." I said. Nathal didn't see my eyes roll.

- "Just keep her in mind. You could do worse, you know."

I decided not to mention that I knew of his arrangement with Tir Albo. I could always feign surprise later. There was too much going on - too many things that I hadn't anticipated, and that I didn't understand.

The party began to break up. There would be some time for a rest or a change of clothing before the next event on the programme: a bonfire in the exercise yard. I made my way back to my chamber, where Glasha was waiting for me. Like Renna, Father's mistress, she hadn't been invited to participate in the afternoon activities. They were allowed to attend the bonfire later, though.

- "You look... confused." she said.

- "That's probably because I am."

- "Something went badly?"

- "Not exactly, no. In fact, it's probably more of a blessing." I described my conversation with Talanassa Albo.� � � � � � � � � � � � �

- "She was honest with you. I'll have to thank her for that. And what about Seirye?"

- "I didn't have a chance to speak with her. But I did spend some time with Saska Tanle." I told Glasha what we'd talked about.

- "Interesting. There's more to her than you thought, then."

- "Definitely." I said. Then I related what had happened at the end of the tour. "My brothers also made suggestions. Well, Aludar and Nathal did."

- "Aludar did?" Glasha was surprised by that. "Hmm..."

- "Do you think... he's trying to bind me to him? To recruit me as an ally?"

- "Oh dear. Why would he do that?"

I'd been wondering the same thing for the past quarter of an hour. There was only one answer that fit.

"He fears a disputed succession." I remembered Aludar being closeted with my father for several hours of private conversation. What had Father said to him? Or was it what he hadn't said?

"Father set this up. It's a test. It's always a test, with him."

- "Yes."

- "Why hasn't Father officially named Aludar as his heir? He could have - and he should have, especially when he got sick. That's why Aludar is looking for support. And so is Nathal, for that matter."

- "Does that change your thinking?" asked Glasha. "Should we consider other candidates for you?"

- "Not really. I won't take someone to wife if she would make either of us miserable. Or if it would be awful for her. All things being equal, it would be better if she was well-connected, and rich - but if those were my main concerns, then it might as well be Shurkka Storum."

- "Yecch!"

- "Exactly." I said. We sat on my bed, side by side, both of us thinking about what my Father had in mind.

"He doesn't like any of his sons; is he hoping for grandsons, so that he can groom one of them as future heir to the Duchy? Or more than one?"

- "These marriages are for political alliances." said Glasha. "Not for your father's benefit - for yours."

- "You think he's set this up to see which son can marry best, or gather the most support? Damn, Glasha... that's a dangerous game to play."

- "Do you think your father cares what happens after he's gone?"

I didn't have an immediate answer to that question. It was a thought that would cost me a lot of sleep over the next few weeks.

***

The bonfire was immense. People gathered around the edges of the exercise yard, to avoid the wood smoke, blown this way and that by the changeable wind. It was interesting to see the play of light on the features of noblemen and their daughters or sisters - or on their silhouettes, for some dealt with the smoke by turning their backs to the massive fire.

Servants circulated with trays, loaded with cups of mulled wine. It wasn't particularly good wine, but the warm drink, redolent with spices, was very popular. Some of Tir Storum's soldiers maintained a cordon around the group, to keep uninvited intruders from disturbing our guests. I noticed some elven archers among the troops on duty.

Glasha and I had disagreed slightly about how to approach this evening. We ended up reaching a compromise. I accompanied her for the first moments, as she'd asked.

Together, we approached the beautiful Larka of Portoa. I introduced Glasha to her. It might have been just a fleeting impression, but Larka didn't seem as surprised as she should have been to learn that I had a mistress.

- "You don't know me, Lady." said Glasha. "But you need to hear what I have to relate."

Glasha told Larka about Merik and Aludar's mistress, Lavara - in great detail.

- "In the hallway?" gasped Larka.

Glasha went on to describe how Merik had attempted to rape her. She explained that I had arrived, to intervene - without mentioning the magic she'd unleashed.

"That's... unbelievable." said Larka.

- "Lady, I may be wrong. Merik's intentions towards you may be honourable. He may propose marriage. But if he asks you to step away with him - to leave the bonfire - you must be extra careful. Do not go anywhere without your chaperone."

Larka looked somewhat stricken. Glasha had definitely spoiled the party for her - but we'd agreed that it was preferable to do that than to leave the girl's fate to chance.

After that, it wasn't difficult to find Seirye. The Portoan girls all stayed reasonably close together. She saw us coming. Once again, I was almost certain that Seirye was not in the least surprised to see Glasha with me.

- "Lady Seirye," I said, "this is my..." I chose not to use the word 'mistress'. It was not a good description of what Glasha meant to me - instead, I said "... my lover, Glasha. We have been friends since childhood... and we always will be."

Glasha was holding my hand as we stood there. She squeezed my fingers tightly.

Seirye didn't reply right away. She looked at us - and at Glasha especially.

- "I... I knew that." she said.

- "You did?"

- "You didn't know that I knew?" Seirye stood a little straighter. "Your brother told me."

Glasha spoke up. "May I ask which brother it was, Lady?"

- "Nathal." I said, through clenched teeth.

- "No." said Seirye. "It was your eldest brother. Aludar."

That hit me hard. I was used to Merik's and Nathal's bullying. But that Aludar, of all people, should play such a shabby trick on me...

Glasha recovered before I did.

- "We did not know, Lady. Tauma wanted to be honest with you, since he found you both beautiful and personable. I think that... we have several things in common.

Seirye couldn't help it; she looked more closely at Glasha. They weren't quite look-alikes, but there were many similarities. Both were slender, with long hair, two lovely women, with distinctive features and strong personalities.

AspernEssling
AspernEssling
4,333 Followers