Verity's in Love Ch. 01

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Yes."

"I would have thought his parent organisation would have HR all over this. Have you signed a contract?'

"I think so."

"You think so?"

"I trust Brad. He would never con me."

'Wouldn't he just.' Thinks Stephen

"When were you thinking of telling me?"

Verity murmured a bit , not giving any real answer.

"Never mind, what is the job anyway?"

"Initially it is organising the staging of empty houses with rented furniture to enhance its sale and then I will have the opportunity to become a real estate agent."

"He thinks that I would be really good at it. He thinks I have real charm and a way with people."

'What!' Stephen thought 'this was the girl I said was slightly Asperger'. Stephen knew this was all bullshit and his alarm bells were clanging loudly. But what could he say. It could be a real opportunity and knowing her recent disposition he did not want to rain on her parade. Verity needed something to build her confidence.

Verity began work. Initially it was Monday and Tuesday but her hours got more erratic as they revolved around estate sales. It became a bit awkward with Amos and Hugo who were now one and two and half years respectively. Stephen established a working studio at home so he could share child duties with Verity leaving her free for her work. Stephen's Mother Amy was able to help as well now they were back on friendly terms.

As time went on Verity began to prattle on a lot about her work but especially Brad. Brad thought they should replace their car with an Audi. Brad drove an A6 but Verity was impressed that he was soon to get an Audi R8 Coupe. Brad had found this really good new restaurant that they must try. Brad had really good taste in music. Brad said that property offered better prospects than architecture and that Architects were dependant on property people for success. This really got up Stephens nose.

Brad said that Verity was getting on really well and would like her to become full time. When Stephen heard that last line he let slip with a sarcastic remark, "Wow Brad seems to have a lot of confidence in you. How many properties have you sold?" Verity looked a little embarrassed and did not answer.

Verity and Stephen were personal friends of one of Stephen's long standing clients. George was the owner of a PR firm. Stephen designed their office building which had won him a national award. Stephen had also designed a house for him and others of George and his wife Marlene's circle of friends. George and Marlene had been one of the best supporters and regulars at the Sunday morning sessions.

Stephen had been visiting George one morning on business when he ran into his wife Marlene who happened to be there. Stephen took the opportunity to invite Marlene for a morning coffee at a café on the ground floor.

Marlene was very close to Verity. Verity regarded her as a close confidante. Stephen was becoming very worried about Verity's relationship with her boss and thought that Marlene might have some intel.

Initially Marlene was a little uncomfortable as she did not want to come between them but Stephen said he just needed to be aware of what's happening so that he could takes steps if necessary. He wanted to because after everything he could not bear losing Verity if he neglected her and she was slipping into something she could not handle.

Marlene understood and agreed to help. Initially what she said was disturbing.

Stephen had remarked about the way she was always talking about Brad,

"Yes she sounds like a smitten teenager at times." Marlene responded

"So she talks about him to you as well."

"Yes and I don't like the plonker."

"Do you tell her that?"

"You can't tell her or you'll risk losing her as a friend."

"Oh shit it's had got to that."

"Actually I think you need to do something fast. You might even be too late."

"Oh shit, what has she done?"

"I don't know if anything tangible has occurred but she brings up intimate stuff about him."

"What do you think I should do?"

"I don't know really. You kind of need evidence. Do you have anything to do with his office?"

"I did, but not lately."

"Well you know the three other women there, if he is doing anything untoward they are going to be pissed off."

"I have a client from Auckland looking for some unusual property for a project we have in mind. One of the Women in the office is Rachael Langley who is one of Wild Cherry's commercial property specialists. Maybe I'll approach her in guise of potential sales."

"That could be good. You do know he is married with four kids."

"I did know he was married but I did not know he had that many children."

"That could be an Achilles heel."

That particular morning Stephen knew that Brad and Verity would be out and thought there would be enough time to call in to Rachael and get the ball rolling. Fortunately Rachael was there.

Rachael was curious to why Stephen had not approached Brad directly but Stephen passed it off as a sensitive client and it would be better that as few people as possible should be aware of what they were doing at this time. He had come directly to her because of her reputation as a commercial specialist. Rachael was flattered and agreed.

Stephen set up a later appointment to discuss his client's requirements discretely. They then made some small talk. It was clear Rachael did not like Brad one bit. She did not offer anything about Verity until Stephen was leaving to go. They were standing outside in the sunshine out of earshot of the others and she just said, "I would take good care of your wife if I was you...Think about it. We can discuss it next time we meet."

Stephen left with a lump in his chest. He suddenly felt tired.

That brings us to the following February Saturday morning

So

This morning was strange. Why the mood change, why has serious Verity turned into jolly Verity?

Having exclaimed about all that was right in the world Verity started to talk about Brad. Brad was at them about buying an Audi again.

"Brad, Brad Fucking Brad! You are always talking about Brad. Even our friends are noticing it. Are you in love with the bastard" Stephen was shouting as he had never done before in front of Verity.

Verity began to cry and Brad immediately felt remorse. He realised he had probably said the wrong thing but it was at least it was out in the open

"Look Verity I am sorry to make you cry. I am feeling insecure at the moment. I am not sure you love me....I am a really jealous guy inside and I think I'm afraid I'm losing you to Brad."

Verity just simply told him not to be ridiculous. Told Stephen he had ruined a lovely morning and retreated into herself. The weekend became a little frosty from there.

On the Monday he had Amos and Hugo to look after. Stephen had always enthusiastically taken to fatherhood. The experience during Verity's post-natal depression had led to an exceptional bonding with the boys. It was not unusual on Verity's working days for Stephen to take the boys out to a park or a pool.

This morning he had an idea to ingratiate himself with the other staff at Brad's office. He knew that Verity and Stephen would be would be away again that morning as that was the reason Stephen was babysitting. The arrangement was that he would have the kids until lunchtime then drop them off at home where Pania had volunteered to work and mind the kids while Stephen had an important client meeting.

He drove across town to a park and just 'happened' to be taking them for a walk past Wild Cherry's shop front office which was nearby. So he called in to show Rachael and the other women the boys. None of them had babies of their own and there was a great deal of gushing and cooing over these beautiful darlings. Of course in doing this Stephen was sowing the seeds of discontent. Rachael caught on and gave him a wink of approval. She said as an aside that they would talk some more at their arranged meeting later in the week. They were to have an initial meeting to discuss possible properties before Stephen brought the client in, so it gave them opportunity to talk about other things.

Stephen took the boys back to his car and went to pick up Pania and take her back to their house. Arriving home, Stephen noted Brad's Audi was parked up the drive putting him on alert. Adrenalin driven he asked Pania to stay with the boys in the car and in anticipation he strode up the side of the house.

Passing a window he glanced in to see Verity embraced in Brad's arms; mouths locked in a passionate wet kiss. They had not noticed Stephen. The rear door was open and he swiftly but quietly entered. They still had not noticed him. He stood and he watched. The first thing he noticed was that Verity was wearing a different skirt from what she left for work in the morning.

They still had not seen him. He stepped back outside but he could hear them begin talking. If he was not already stunned what he heard hit him profoundly.

"I really enjoyed our romp sweetie."

"Me too Hon, but we need to do some work. You've now seen the apartment now, so this afternoon, go select some furniture. I have an urgent meeting. You've got the key and the plan; can you use your VW and take it from here yourself?"

"Sure can. When's our next romp?"

"Eager girl aren't you?"

"You bet sweetie."

"I'll organise something real soon,"

"Love you Sweetie."

Still unseen Stephen withdrew outside rattled the waste bin, waited a brief second then made a grand entrance. He walked back in to find them both standing at attention wide eyed and flushed. Verity was straightening her skirt.

Verity was obviously panicking. Before Stephen could speak she was babbling something about a beautiful apartment that they had visited and they had stopped back here on the way back to work because Brad had not seen her decor.

Stephen did not speak which caused more babbling from Verity. Brad seemed lost for words.

Stephen forced a smile adding "I guess you guys will need to get back to work. Pania and the boys are in the car and will be coming up shortly."

With that they scampered out leaving Stephen alone to do some scouting. The bed was Ok, nothing seemed to be out of place. He found the shower had been used. He wondered what she had done with her skirt and by process of deduction he found her soiled skirt and panties in the washing machine. In their haste they had forgotten to start the machine. Stephen removed them and put them in a duffle bag to hide away in the garage. He then activated the machine for the other washing that was there. The missing articles might serve as evidence or at least to rattle Verity.

Verity and Brad had left in absolute denial of the possibility that Stephen had actually seen them or even what Pania might be thinking.

Stephen thought about what he had just heard 'Sweetie, love you' are words she had never applied to Stephen. It began to dawn on him that perhaps she had never been in love with Stephen and that Brad was at this late stage her first love.

Stephen began to think of divorce.

That afternoon he had a meeting with the client he had planned for Rachael. His client was Frederick Ensor. He was the part owner of a string of discrete brothels. They catered for outwork as well as rooms and a variety of entertainments. As sex work was legal in New Zealand they were ethical brothels, licensed and well above board. They were individually run by very adept women and operated at a high professional standard. Frederick was the owner with a partner in Auckland who Stephen had never met. She apparently had a dream of an academy for workers in the industry. It was to include a basic education for otherwise naïve girls entering the industry to protect them but also to enhance the skill and quality of services offered in general

Stephen and his interior design partner Charles did all the design work for the brothels and they were regarded wonderful and atmospheric erotic settings. Charles and Frederick were both gay and had once been lovers in their youth. Their parting had been amicable and they remained firm friends and business associates.

Frederick was also a very close friend of Stephen's, an occasional member of the Sunday sessions and had been a bit of an agony aunt for him over the years. Frederick and he sat down to a glass of wine as Stephen let fly emotionally about what he had bottled up after discovering Brad and Verity that afternoon.

Frederick listened quietly and once Stephen had finished. "Do you love her, prepared to fight for her or do you want to get rid of the bitch. She's obviously in love. It's going to be a hard road to get her back if that's what you want."

Stephen thought for some time in silence. "I want to fight for her; for me, for Amos and for Hugo. I grew up without a proper family and it is something I have always dreamed of."

In Stephens mind, rather than hating Verity, he feared for her. He saw Brad as the villain and his protective nature saw Verity as a victim. His life was built around her and the boys, he saw no other life. The coming events would see waves of conflicting emotions but he never lost sight of this perception.

12