Vienna Story

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Indeed I have, sir." Eli pulled a sheaf of vellum out of his case and handed it over.

"Stick around the office, would you, Jansen? I may want to meet over this."

In forty minutes Stolnitz walked up to Eli's desk, and pointed out a few details that needed changing. They spoke for a quarter of an hour about approach, phrasing, and the like, when finally Stolnitz said, "When you've got that drafted, bring it back to my office, eh?"

"Of course." Eli toiled for the better part of an hour on the re-draft, and was pretty comfortable with it when he brought it back to Stolnitz.

"Ah!" Stolnitz said. "Got it? Good. Have a seat." Eli sat as Stolnitz pored over the draft. He stood suddenly and said, "Good. Thank you, you've taken something off my desk, Eli. I appreciate it. Let's go see the old man."

Eli stood, surprised. "You want me to go with you?"

"Yes, yes," Stolnitz said, "you did the yeoman's share of the task. Hoffmann needs to know that."

The meeting with Herr Hoffmann went very well. The managing general partner was pleased to get the draft, and liked the subtle salesmanship for the firm. He seemed disposed to approve it with only a quick perusal. Such was his trust in Leo Stolnitz. Both Hoffmann and Stolnitz thanked Eli and excused him to pursue his duties.

Jansen spent his days alternating between long, boring afternoons at the Ministry on his main project, and at his desk, discharging the errands at court, the case law research, and the review of briefs that were suddenly coming across his desk in greater volume.

Sophie's rooms became his home away from home. They spent amorous nights and early mornings in a libidinous fog of cunnilingus, accompanied by Sophie's grunts and stifled orgasmic screams, and they fucked in various positions--trading who was on top, sometimes Eli taking her from behind, sometimes Sophie would straddle him, throwing one leg over him while he worked away, pistoning into her like a steam-powered engine while she lay on her back half on top of him. If Eli were keeping score, he would surely have noticed the stark imbalance of orgasms between the two -- it was, of course, greatly in her favor, but this did not bother him. He felt that his part of the bargain was to keep her sated and content; her part was to broaden his acquaintance in society (although she'd done precious little of that) and his experience, and thus his value to his employer. She'd already been a big help to his career.

One morning, as they lay in the afterglow of dazzling fulfillment (for them both), Sophie said in a tentative tone, "Eli, love," stroking his arm lightly with her fingertips, "I was thinking...you and I have been very devoted to each other this last couple of weeks, haven't we?"

Her wheedling tone was new. Eli payed close attention. He said, "Yes..."

"I have been having the most marvelous time, dear heart," she said. "but I wanted to ask you...I wanted to be sure...Have all your devotions been to me? I mean, you don't have other romantic partners, do you?"

"No, gracious lady," he said, nuzzling the back of her head. "I have loved you and only you since we met."

"Oh!" she said, and turned to him and held him in her arms. "I did know that," she said, and kissed him. "I only ask because it means so much to me to have your exclusive attention. I want to be your queen, your one and only." Now she held him between her legs and arms, smiling at him.

An instinct told Eli he could never ask her to reciprocate. He knew it to be out of the question, and rude, somehow. Quietly, he said, "A faithful knight can serve only one monarch, Your Majesty." He put his lips on her nipple, sitting out at her side on her sagging breast, and sucked.

She gasped and groaned and reached down and slid his suddenly very hard cock inside her. Again they made sweet love to one another that morning, and--as they had become accustomed in this position--Eli came only after Sophie's multiple energetic, noisy orgasms.

Later that morning, he was at his desk when he looked up to see one of the women from the front office bringing him two messages. One was an official notification from the Ministry with its internal routing to Jansen; on the other he recognized Sophie's handwriting immediately: "Herr Jansen -- You must hasten to Ministry soonest. See Baron Heimbach, first Deputy Minister. Wonderful news!"

Arriving at the large and well furnished anteroom of the First Deputy Minister's office, Eli introduced himself to the fraulein sitting at a desk nearest the door. When he mentioned he represented the Hoffmann law firm, she said, "Oh yes, please see Herr Becker," and indicated a fussy-looking middle aged man at one of the desks behind the low railing.

Eli let himself through the railing's swinging gate and presented himself at the man's desk, who took his time looking him up and down.

"Yes?" he said in his impatient, dismissive way. Eli presumed it was the way he sounded to everyone who approached his desk.

Eli gave him a card. "Elias Jansen, sir, representing the Hoffmann law firm."

"Yes," the man said looking over the card. He took his time scanning Eli's form again. "I believe I've seen you, hanging around the Railway group staff."

"I'd hardly call it 'hanging around,'" Eli replied, "when I come to learn as much as I can and to offer assistance with the vital work that the group does on behalf of the Empire."

The man's lips tightened. Noting the challenge in Eli's reply, the man relaxed his body. He'd apparently prefer to keep it friendly with this uncommonly handsome associate from the Hoffmann office. "Of course, of course," he said. "And have you found the staff cooperative? Have you been learning much?"

Although the question seemed pointless, a mere stalling tactic, Eli was glad the clerk had become more agreeable.

"I have to say," Eli said, "that I have found the professionals in the Railway Unit to be quite forthcoming and helpful. One could even say friendly."

"So," the man said, after gazing into Eli's eyes for a long moment, "Hoffmann, Hoffmann--of course!" He picked up a large vellum envelope with the Minister's seal. "Normally, we would send it to your firm with a messenger, but look, you've come to us! Must be important." Before handing the envelope over, he adopted a confidential air with Eli, and said, "Now, you will be coming back to see us again, won't you?"

Eli met the man's eyes and waited an instant before answering in a just-between-us air, "You can depend on it."

Becker's face lit up into a full smile and he gave the packet to Eli.

On his way back to the office Eli broke the seal and opened the bundle. With all the minute bureaucratic boilerplate and florid, extraneous language, the paragraphs were a small challenge to find, but there they were: Yes! The ministry had approved and accepted the Groupement offer. Eli skipped for a step and, raising the documents above his head in triumph, he jogged a few steps, exulting on his way back to the office.

He charged through the front area and made for Stolnitz's office, to find he wasn't there. He looked at one of the clerical staff, who responded with a directing jerk of her head. She said, "Hoffmann's office."

Eli breathed deeply and headed that way. "Sylvie!" he said. "Good morning to you!"

"And a good morning to you, Herr Jansen." She nodded toward the door to Hoffmann's office. "I believe they're expecting you."

Two quick knocks and Eli went in.

"Jansen!" Herr Hoffmann fairly bellowed. "Come in, come in! What've you got there?"

Stolnitz came to Eli and took the parchments. He made a quick perusal and said, "Mm hm, mm hm," and handing the packet to Hoffmann, said, "Appears to be all there."

Stolnitz shook Eli's hand, giving him a full smile. He even patted him on the upper arm.

"Stand by, gentlemen," Hoffmann said. "I believe this calls for a toast." He went to a credenza and took three small flute glasses and a bottle of schnapps. He handed Stolnitz and Eli full glasses. He raised his and said, "Prosit!" All three threw their drinks back in a single go.

"Sit down, gentlemen," Hoffmann said, "please sit." He took a moment to savor the drink as it warmed its way down.

"Several days ago," the managing general partner started, "you gentlemen brought me a draft letter for the Groupement to ask if they'd given any thought to acquiring Imperial railways in addition to the Südbahn. Leo and I judged the draft to be clear, deferent, and subtly boastful -- just exactly as any missive from an established law firm should be. And, Leo told me he hardly needed to alter your work at all, Eli." -- this was the first time Hoffmann had addressed Eli by his given name. He flushed with pride. -- "Congratulations. I know for a fact that Leo here is not an easy man to impress. And so, I only got the reply yesterday that indicated they had indeed considered a wide range of properties within the Empire, and had retained us on a...preliminary...basis, to see how the Südbahn purchase went."

"You know," he directed his attention to Stolnitz, "I hate the idea that they put us on some kind of probation, Leo. But," he said, glancing back at Eli, "since we now have an eminently satisfactory outcome on the Südbahn purchase, I am free to delightedly report to them this decision, and to pursue full and exclusive representation of the Groupement on all Imperial Railway, and Kingdom of Hungary Railway purchases." He sat back in his chair, grinning, full of the moment.

"And Eli," he said, "you know what this means for the firm? It means that we can expect the retainer fee will grow by a factor of at least twelve! I'm going to push for fifteen, by the way, just so you gentlemen know. If I have to settle for twelve, ah, so be it." He smiled at both men in turn. They smiled back.

"And further, Eli, this means something for you also. We are adjusting your duties. We would like you to participate in preliminary drafting of pleadings on selected cases, and research into specific issues for Herr Stolnitz here, and Herr Erdich. And Leo recommends you for the lead in the practical, everyday matters of the Groupement interest and activities. That field just flew wide open, so stay on top of it!" He stood up, looking dapper and distinguished in his shirt and necktie. He was a tall man, though not quite as tall as Eli, had a full head of hair nearly uniformly white, and a bushy white mustache.

"Come with me, Eli," he said, and both he and Stolnitz walked with the boss. Hoffmann went down a short hall in the law firm's suite and opened the door to a vacant private office of considerable size, at least five times Eli's current space in the pool work area. One wall had arched windows giving a view of the street four stories below. And in addition to an impressive oak desk, there were bookshelves, three guest chairs and a handsome armoire for winter garments. "Can't have someone of your caliber working in a clerical space now, can we?" The space wasn't as large as Leo's of course, but for Eli it would do very nicely indeed. As he looked around at his new office, he was flush and quietly thrilled.

"Oh, and of course, we will adjust your compensation." He named a figure that was comfortably more than twice his current pay. "How does that sound, Eli?"

Both men looked at him, smiling. Eli said, "I--I'm overwhelmed, sir!"

The boss clapped him on the shoulder. Smiling at him he said, "Well, don't stay that way for long, young man. Lots of work to do!" With that he marched back toward his office.

"Unless I'm much mistaken," Eli said to Stolnitz, "I detect your handiwork in all this."

Leo smiled and shook his hand again. Eli was always shocked how Leo's face transformed from a pinched-up schemer's face to the beatific visage of generosity when he smiled. "Whatever it is you detect, my good man, go ahead and get settled...What have you got going this afternoon?"

"Back over to the Ministry," Eli said. "Time to impress the clerks and engineers how much I appreciate their stellar work."

Leo smiled again and clapped him on the shoulder. "Sounds right!" And before leaving, he said, "Congratulations, Eli."

Eli said, "Thank YOU!"

That night Sophie and Eli were jubilant. At one point during their kisses, Eli said, "Oh, gracious lady, I owe you so much!"

Sophie beamed at him and said, "And I think some payments on your debt are due immediately!" Accordingly, while Eli delivered several crashing orgasms with his tongue, lips, and cock, the Countess's face remained clouded with lust, as she received her due.

Eli saw little of his own flat during this time. He spent his days in the increasingly demanding duties in the office, and checking in and making contributions at the Railway department at the Ministry. His evenings were lost to the mature Sophie's libidinous demands, which he was only too willing to meet.

And somehow, unfortunately, it seems that the most advantageous circumstances in life hold a hidden trap for us, and cannot last as long as we would like. Late one afternoon as he ascended the stairs to the second floor colonnade at Sophie's building, her door was open, and just inside was a handsome and well-formed young man of medium height wearing the shoes and dusty work pants of a day laborer. He and Sophie were just emerging from an embrace when Sophie put her hand at the back of his head and drew him into another kiss. Eli turned away and took a step along the wall to offer them privacy, although there was no mistaking that that last kiss was for Eli's benefit. The young fellow emerged from Sophie's flat, stopped short a moment when he saw Eli. Their eyes met for an instant, and Eli couldn't tell if the youngster's rapid glance away was from embarrassment or something else.

"Good evening, gracious lady," he offered as he entered, putting his jacket over his arm.

"Good evening, Eli..." she said. As she met his eyes, she raised her chin a fraction, as though daring him to challenge her. He felt betrayed but determined that he would not show it, and second, that he would not let it interfere with his relationship with Sophie. He knew the ground rules well enough.

"My gracious lady," Eli said, "I trust you are well this evening." In contrast to their usual daily joy at falling into each other's arms, this greeting felt stilted, offensive.

"You have seen I had company," she said. "I had hoped he would have left before your arrival, but..." She sighed. "The time got away from us."

"I see."

"You seem to be taking this in an equable manner!"

"And what other manner would be appropriate, gracious lady?" Eli asked. "You asked me for a promise to be faithful to you, and I gladly gave it. I know you would not promise the same to me. I didn't expect it, I don't deserve it...Though I do feel like I've taken a blow to the body -- it's not something I was expecting or prepared for."

"Ah!" cried Sophie. "So you do have an inkling of what I am feeling."

"Of what you are feeling?" said Eli. "Pray tell me what you are feeling, gracious lady."

"Were you or were you not seated at an outdoor café with a young woman yesterday?" she asked.

Rather than getting some insight into Sophie's emotions, Eli suddenly found himself under cross examination. He stared at Sophie. "I was."

If this answer surprised Sophie she didn't show it. "And did you or did you not promise that you would be faithful to me?"

"I did, gracious lady."

"And how, pray tell, do you reconcile your last two answers?"

Without hesitation, Eli said, "By asserting that there is simply nothing to reconcile. I promised you I would be faithful to you; I have been. I have not entered into, nor have I come close to considering entering into, any kind of a relationship of a romantic sort with any other woman. My heart, my body, my dreams, my soul, all remain exclusively yours."

Sophie breathed in deeply at this but forged on: "Then who was this young lady you were seen enjoying a meal with?"

"Her name is Brigitta. She works at the Hoffmann firm and was free for luncheon."

"Did you invite her or did she invite you? Whose idea was this engagement, this sharing of a meal?"

Eli glared at Sophie, unbelieving.

"Answer me please, it's important," she said.

"It was her idea," Eli said. "As I said, I made you a promise."

"Aha!" cried Sophie. "Just as I suspected."

"What! What is just as you suspected?"

Finally Sophie's demeanor thawed a bit. "Oh, don't you see, Eli? A pretty young lady begins by making herself agreeable to the very handsome and eligible young lawyer, offering the idea of accompanying you to some sidewalk café for an innocent meal. And she hovers around your office door, smiling, offering to help with some trifle, or engages you in innocent chat, and the next thing you know, you're dressing up and sharing a box at the symphony!"

Eli had the urge to smile but thought better of it. He walked toward her but she raised her hand for him to stop, which he did. "Sophie...if I promise never to step out for a meal with her or any other woman, would that make it all right?"

"After yesterday," said Sophie, "I will require such a promise, but it will not make it all right, as you say."

"And can you tell me what will, dearest?"

She turned away from him. "Not at the moment, I can't. It requires more time, more thought."

"My God," Eli said, "I've hurt you. Oh, Sophie, never would I dream of hurting you. I feel so desolate now, so wretched."

"Well, I'm glad you can feel something about it."

He took a step or two toward the door. In a soft voice he asked, "When would you like me to stop by again?"

"I need your promise, Eli."

"I promise," he said, "not to accompany any other female to a meal, or an outing of any kind."

"And do you promise to discourage her advances?"

"I will to the best of my ability," he said, "discourage any untoward friendliness, and scrupulously avoid any show of favoritism to anyone at the office or elsewhere."

She turned to face him. He could see she was near tears. He wanted to go to her and hold her, but his lingering shock and anger rooted him to the spot.

"You see, Eli," she said, "I'm deathly afraid of how the young, pretty women of Vienna will behave around you. You're more handsome and accomplished and worldly than a thousand other bachelors, and I just can't let them get their hooks into you."

"Please believe me, Sophie --"

She turned her back again. "Just go! Please, Eli."

He went to the door. Quietly he said, "When would you like me to stop by again, Sophie?"

Over her shoulder she said, "I'll send you a note."

Eli didn't have to wait long for Sophie's note. This confrontation happened on a Friday; the note arrived at his fine new office the following Monday morning.

Dear Eli, I beg you to please bear with your sweetheart's peculiarities. They are the insecurities of a woman past her prime who has found a treasure of a lover, and would guard him from distractions and errant dalliances. I would like to invite you to a home in Vienna for us to talk, a kind of neutral site. [Here Sophie gave an address in an upscale quarter of Vienna.] If you would please be so kind as to attend me at 5:00 p.m., Wednesday of this week, I would be most grateful. --S

Eli finished reading Sophie's note but did not have much time to mull over it. He had come in that morning to word from one of the clerks that he should see Herr Stolnitz straight away.

"Jansen!" cried Stolnitz. "Good morning!" They shook hands. "Sit down, my boy, sit down." Stolnitz started directly in, as always. "Our French buyers have flooded us with inquiries about various properties, it's wonderful! Herr Hoffmann and I are reviewing their proposed applications to the Ministry, and as soon as we're done, today or tomorrow, you will get them for re-drafting and preparing them for the Ministry. We'll need you to update our buyers on the inner workings of the Railway department at the Ministry, within reason of course, along with other general information about the properties themselves, you know, the assets of each line, tonnage of activity, revenue receipts and such like. From some of the things they've written, it seems they're woefully short on such details. Do you anticipate any difficulty assembling that sort of information?"