Visions Unveiled Ch. 08

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
IrishBelle
IrishBelle
144 Followers

It was then that Kevin took a step towards her, "Are you certain that you are well? You also had quite an ordeal earlier."

Faline shook her head once more. Because of these brave wolves, she was completely unscathed, "I am fine. Thank you for all you've done."

Kevin bowed his head again, "Of course, my lady. Good night."

Heading from the room with Shane at her side, Faline noticed again the drops of blood on the hardwood floor. "I can help clean the floors before I go up. It will be a while before I can sleep anyway."

Shane shook his head as he ushered her down the hall, careful to avoid the blood. "Once they all have retired for the night, I will tend to this."

They reached the stairs and Faline paused to look up at him, "Are you sure?"

Shane nodded, "They are mine to look after," he even gave a small grin, "And sadly, it's not anything I haven't done before."

Faline had to admit, his smile was endearing. Though he too, seemed as exhausted as everyone else. Yet somehow she knew that Shane was determined to see everyone settled down before he himself would rest.

Faline took a moment to gather her bags and satchel from a bench against the wall, near the stairs. Once she had, Shane said, "Make yourself comfortable. And if you need anything else at all ..."

He left his sentence trail and Faline nodded, understanding he meant so much more than just toothbrushes or pajamas. "I am fine."

Shane took a small step closer to her, and her breath caught in her throat when he caressed her jaw. "Sleep well then," he whispered. She felt her eyes closing as he kissed her softly. In a brief moment he was already backing away, and so she began her way up the stairs. Below, Shane waited until she was halfway up the flight before he returned to the exam room.

At the second floor landing Faline started towards the suite where she had previously slept, when her attention was once again drawn to the staircase leading up to the third floor. As it had done earlier in the day, the staircase beckoned her towards it. She knew it was impolite to venture into a part of the house where she was uninvited, yet still, she could not resist the feeling that drew her towards those stairs.

Faline made up her mind to climb the first few steps, with the hope that the feeling which drew her to them would subside. But with each step she took, the pull became stronger. Once her foot hit the third stair, she instantly froze in her steps. Her eyes fixed straight ahead as a flood of images rushed at her. A room with soft light, calming colors, and the most secure feeling of home she'd ever felt while being away from Sophie. This vision was a rarity. Most often her visions were those of warning, cautioning her against things which meant her harm, but not this vision. This vision made her feel safe, welcome, at home. She was stunned by it.

Once her senses cleared, she knew without a doubt, that the vision meant she was heading in the correct direction. She knew that wonderful feeling of belonging would find her once she reached the top of the stairs. She didn't know exactly what she would find, but nonetheless, she was powerless to head in any other direction than up.

* * *

Because parking was not permitted on the main road of the village, business owners, residents and visitors were forced to park their vehicles in a lot behind the buildings. Shane had parked in a spot below a streetlamp. Once Logan and Kevin arrived, Shane turned off the ignition and twisted in his seat to face her. "Are you ready?" he asked seriously.

Faline was already opening her door, "Yes."

Shane came to stand beside her as Logan and Kevin approached. Once they were all standing together Shane spoke. "Faline, no matter what happens keep close to us. If anything were to happen to me, Logan will keep you safe. Understand?"

Absently, Faline nodded. Her attention was focused on the second story windows of one of the buildings, and Shane followed her gaze.

"What is it? Is there something wrong?" he asked.

"I'm not sure," Faline answered, "But all of the lights are off." She raised her arm and pointed, "Those five windows from the left corner in, those are ours."

Faline looked away from the building when Shane took her hand. "Can we access your home from here?" he asked as he looked towards the building again.

"No," Faline said, "Only through the inside of the shop. The entrance is around that corner." She pointed towards a side street and Shane nodded.

Logan and Kevin were on alert, she could tell by the way their eyes never stayed still. Both were on the constant watch for any sort of threat.

"Before we go further," Shane said, "Have you had any other visions?"

Faline closed her eyes and inhaled deeply, focusing on what she recalled from earlier in the evening. After a moment she reopened her eyes and shook her head. "Nothing new, but the vision is still strong."

With that, they began walking, taking the side road towards the lane. Shane led the way while keeping hold of Faline's hand, as if he were trying to keep her from rushing ahead. Behind them, Logan and Kevin were following at a measured distance.

The village was mostly deserted on account of the weather. As each of her footfalls landed on the walk, Faline couldn't help to notice the quiet echoes as they sounded. She kept glancing up towards the windows hoping to see a light or Sophie's shadow in any of them, but so far they all remained darkened. The moment they rounded the corner near the entrance of the shop Faline instantly knew something was very wrong. The first thing she noticed was shattered glass along the walkway, and a few steps further would reveal what had done all of that damage.

The postal mailbox, which had been bolted to the corner for as long as Faline could remember, had been ripped from its brackets and launched into the picture window of Sophie's shop. The mailbox was bent and mangled, and the display in the window had been crushed by it. Sharp shards of glass seemed to be everywhere. Faline eyed the mailbox in despondent dismay. Here was the first proof of her vision. The mailbox ... Blue metal. It had already begun.

Faline was now desperate to get to the shop, but she was jerked to a sudden stop when Shane halted his steps and tightened his hold of her hand. Behind them, Logan and Kevin also came to a standstill. When she heard a growl from her side, Faline looked up at Shane's face and saw that his eyes were flashing, and he was inhaling deeply. "Logan," he snapped, his voice becoming gruff.

Instantly, Logan was now level with her on her right side. "I scent him also, Alpha. Should I go ahead in first?"

"No," Shane said shaking his head, "His scent has faded, and there are others which remain. If he is still inside, he is not alone."

Faline was practically ready to come out of her skin. "What are you talking about? Who is inside?"

Shane looked down at her and his eyes softened slightly. "My cousin Justin has been here very recently. He may still be inside. We scent other wolves, but they are not of my pack."

"Sophie," Faline said, as she started to move towards the shop.

Shane's strong grasp kept her from taking even one step. "No Faline," he began, "As I feared, this is not safe. You cannot go inside."

Before she had a chance to protest, a voice called out from within the shop. "Kellen? That is you out there isn't it? Why don't you join us? And by all means, bring your lady friend."

Instead of answering the voice, Shane looked over his shoulder. "Kevin, take Faline back-" he stopped speaking instantly when three large men appeared from the corner behind them, coming from the same direction of the parking lot. By sight alone Faline knew they were werewolves, and like most she had ever known, they were not the friendly sort. Her spells flashed through her mind in an instant, though she prayed she would not need them.

Shane growled again when he recognized the men and Faline felt him come to stand very close to her. He rested his hands on her shoulders and leaned down to speak directly into her ear. "We are surrounded. For now stay between Logan and Kevin. And if you need to at any time, try to shield yourself from them the way you did earlier tonight. I will get you out of here as soon as I can."

"And Sophie," Faline added, "Not without Sophie."

Shane nodded slowly though in his eyes she could see his doubts about Sophie. He went on, "For now, stay close to Kevin, and at the sign of any danger, use your barriers if you can."

Faline watched as he quickly locked eyes with each of his betas, before he straightened his spine and headed into the shop. Logan fell in step behind Shane and slightly to his right. A moment later Faline felt a touch on her arm and jumped before realizing it was Kevin. He spoke to her in a low voice while propelling her forward. "I will guard you from the ones behind, my lady. As we enter, keep behind Logan and the Alpha, and you will be protected."

As she followed Logan, Faline recalled the vision she had had earlier. Blue metal. White smoke. A yellow card. Now, she wondered how it would continue to present itself. As she approached the door of the shop, she realized she would not have to wonder for too long. Stepping through the shattered threshold she was instantly greeted with an acrid smell and feared that something was already beginning to burn.

The only light within the shop was coming from a lamp which had been left on in the back. Faline found it difficult to see in the darkened space. Despite the low light, one thing was clear. The room was crowded with werewolves. Besides the three which accompanied her, several appeared to be casually standing amid the ruined shop. As if the broken glass and overturned furnishings hardly affected them at all.

Directly to the left of the entry was the sales counter, and there was a particularly smug looking werewolf sitting atop the wooden surface. He grinned as they entered and spread his arms wide. "Hello, and welcome," he said, "We've done some redecorating. It was way too tidy in here before. Seems more lived in this way, don't you think?"

"Jeff," Shane began in a serious tone, "Give it a rest. Where is the proprietor?"

With a chuckle, the wolf that Shane called Jeff hopped down from the counter and shrugged. "Haven't the foggiest. Who can keep track of women these days anyhow? Though it appears that you tend to travel with yours. I can see how that would be convenient." He paused to give Faline a leering glance, which made her feel nothing short of dirty. Luckily, Shane did not seem in the mood for tolerating Jeff's antics.

With a growl, Shane stepped directly in front of Jeff, towering over him. A low whistle came from one of the smaller wolves in the shop, and Faline realized the wolf was also glaring in her direction. "Come on Jeff, she must be worth it. Kellen seems awful protective of the tart."

Faline hadn't the time to blush before Shane responded. He took a slow breath before turning his full attention to the wolf who had spoken. He answered in a deep, low voice which clearly belied the rage he truly felt. "Dare to even look towards her again, and Luna help me, I'll rip your eyes from your head. Understand, Burke?"

The one called Burke did lower his glance, but only briefly. The gesture appeased Shane if for the moment. His attention swung back to Jeff. "I scent my cousin here. Where is he now?"

In what would have seemed to be an effort to prevent an escalation, Logan advanced a step towards Jeff. Faline could easily see the hatred Logan had for this wolf and she couldn't help but feel the same after just a few short moments in his presence. "My alpha asked you a question, Jeff. If I were you, I wouldn't keep him waiting."

Jeff shrugged, "I guess he left. Hey, maybe he's with that lady you're looking for." His grin was back, and it was not helping matters.

The tension in the room was becoming thick, and Faline was itching to cast a spell and disappear.

Behind her, Kevin spoke for the first time since entering the shop. "And why is his blood on that counter? And that wall ..." Kevin paused for a moment and Faline glanced over her shoulder at him, noticing that he had paused to inhale a deep breath, his eyes fixed on Jeff. After a moment, he stated, "And on your hands?" Kevin nodded towards Shane, "I don't believe your cousin was here by choice, Alpha."

Shane nodded, stepping towards Jeff once more. "Answers. I want them, and I want them now. Where is the shop keeper? Where is my cousin? And more curious yet, why are the lot of you even here in the first place?"

Jeff's self-satisfied expression just wouldn't go away. "Interestingly enough, the answers to those questions are all related. See our alpha is rather well acquainted with that treacherous cousin of yours. Seems Justin was telling our alpha about a particular enchantress he'd come across. How did he describe her?" Jeff paused to look around the room for a moment before proceeding. "Yes, I remember. She was petite, dark hair, bright eyes, she can make herself vanish. Oh, and then there was one last, ever so important detail. She carries the scent of fresh falling rain." Jeff paused to take a pointed breath, while settling his gaze directly on Faline. "Now tell me gentlemen," he said without releasing Faline's eyes, "You wouldn't by chance happen to know any females who fit that description?"

Though Shane's growl was thunderous, he didn't move or speak beyond it. Clearly, there was information he still wanted, and Jeff seemed more than willing to give it.

"So anyway," Jeff went on, "My alpha sent us out to locate her, as he'd fancy a meeting with her, demon though she may be. But when we arrived, she wasn't anywhere in sight. And so we may have sent a small consolation prize to our alpha instead, as a place-holder if you will. And as for Justin ... I haven't seen him since I broke half his ribs and smashed in part of his face before he crawled away hours ago. But I didn't think you'd have a problem with that bit, seeing as he is a turncoat after all."

There was a silence following Jeff's words, and it was Logan who finally broke it. "You're a screaming bastard, you know that? Who in Luna's name are you to decide that?"

"He's a traitor," Jeff replied, "Who cares?"

"I care," Shane snapped, "Traitor or not, he is of Kellen blood. And his penance is to be doled out by me. If my cousin loses his life, you will pay with yours."

Faline could not believe how brazen this wolf was. He continued on with his arrogant behavior, as if he was enjoying this taunt. "Your threats mean little, Kellen, with a pack as small as yours. Up until now you've continued to exist because our pack has taken pity. And it hasn't been worth the effort to eliminate your kind," there was a pause as he glanced again towards Faline. "That may be changing very soon, however."

"Is that why you are here?" Shane asked, "To make threats by proxy on behalf of your alpha?"

Jeff shook his head, "Not necessarily. What I'm really here for happens to be standing between your betas at the moment. And seeing how our numbers clearly outweigh yours, I think it best that she just come with us. We all know how this will end if things here turn sour after all ... so how about you tell your pet doctor back there to just hand her over."

Shane's eyes were now beginning to glow golden, which Faline had learned meant the wolf was very close to surfacing. "Over my dead body," he uttered each word in a sharp staccato tone.

The surrounding wolves were beginning to get antsy. Faline noticed several eying Logan and Kevin, assessing their size and possible strength. Her vision kept flashing through her mind, and she knew there was no way for this to end well. She heard a faint hissing sound to her right and noticed it was coming from the hotplate which Sophie often used to boil her tea kettle while in the shop. It was still on, though the kettle had been knocked to the floor with all of the other damage to the shop. The hotplate hung off the counter by the taut cord, which was frayed now and was the source of the burning she smelled earlier. Her eyes followed the cord to the outlet which was also visibly damaged. Faline saw vapors now rising from both the cord and the outlet. White smoke.

Her vision sprang to mind again. This was all happening faster than she imagined it would, and she felt the need to warn Shane. She began to move forward, with the hopes of gaining Shane's attention. Once she moved however, she drew the eyes of every wolf in the shop. Particularly Burke.

"Can't we just get this over with, Jeff?" Burke said. "Obviously the Irish aren't going to just hand her over. So let's just finish this, and deliver her to the alpha," he paused to eye Faline once more. "I hope the alpha didn't mention anything about delivering her intact, because I know quite a few who would pay a pretty penny for just an hour between those legs." Taking a bold step forward, Burke extended his arm towards Faline, as if he intended to pull her against him.

If Faline had felt violated earlier, this trumped it twentyfold. Her disgust would quickly be forgotten however, in the very next moment. Upon hearing Burke's comment, Shane released a growl so loud that Faline could feel the deep vibration course through her. In a flash Shane lunged towards Burke while simultaneously Logan backed closer towards Faline, which placed her in a safer position between the brothers.

By the time Shane reached Burke, his rage already had him shifting into his hybrid form. Standing closer than she had before, Faline could see clearly his razor sharp claws and teeth as they erupted. For the first time however, she was not afraid in the presence of a shifting wolf.

"I warned you, and you didn't listen," Shane rumbled as his clawed hands seized Burke's neck and shoulders.

"Faline, look away!" Kevin blurted from behind as he attempted to turn her from the oncoming violence. But like they had been earlier in the clearing, Shane's movements were almost too rapid for her to track with her eyes. Before even one of member of the offending pack could react, Shane's sharp claws sliced through the flesh of Burke's face, effectively blinding him as promised. By the time Kevin was able shield her vision, Burke's neck was already broken, and the majority of his blood was now on the outside of his body rather than in. Shane had damaged Burke so badly, his face was no longer recognizable.

The shock of the moment finally snapped, as Burke's pack mates suddenly realized what had happened. At once they rushed into action, in defense of their now-dead friend. Faline was suddenly being crowded by Kevin who was determined to shield her from the battle. Three wolves launched an assault on Shane, while Jeff, who was finally no longer smiling, advanced on Logan. It was the last thing she saw as Kevin finally managed to back her into a corner, entirely blocking her from all activity ...

* * *

Faline paused when she reached the landing at the top of the stairs. There were a few square feet of open space leading to a set of dark wood double doors which were adorned with brushed silver handles. She paused one last time to reconsider the decision to climb the stairs, but she could not escape the feeling of rightness which coursed through her as she approached the doors. Her mind made up, she reached out and tried the door handle, fully expecting it to be locked. When it easily opened for her, Faline slowly stepped into the room and instantly realized that she had entered Shane's personal quarters.

IrishBelle
IrishBelle
144 Followers