Vox Populi Vox Dei Ch. 04

Story Info
The Verdict; Conclusion; shocking ending twists.
8.8k words
4.82
7.5k
11

Part 4 of the 4 part series

Updated 06/09/2023
Created 04/19/2020
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

This story is part of an ongoing series. The chronological order of my stories is listed in WifeWatchman's biography.

Feedback and constructive criticism is very much appreciated, and I encourage feedback for ideas.

This story contains graphic scenes, language and actions that might be extremely offensive to some people. These scenes, words and actions are used only for the literary purposes of this story. The author does not condone murder, racial language, violence, rape or violence against women, and any depictions of any of these in this story should not be construed as acceptance of the above.

***

Part 22 - Agencies of the Weak Minded

"... guilty."

Mrs. Henry and Mrs. Withers broke down sobbing as they hugged each other, and their husbands were very emotional as well. I shook hands with Jack Muscone. The audience began buzzing, and many reporters scrambled to leave the room to inform their fellow Media outside.

The Court Reporter confirmed with each Juror the guilty verdict, then moved on to Count 2, murder in the first with aggravating circumstances of Wendy Withers, a human being. Peter Blassingame was found guilty of that crime. Count 3, the aggravated rape of Wendy Withers, received a guilty verdict. And on down the line.

I was watching the Defense team most very carefully. Nathan Masterson was looking downcast at having lost. Peter Blassingame looked a bit angry, but mostly reserved. His mother looked totally shocked as she looked around, at the Defense, at her brother Andrew Parsons, and I could see her mouth saying 'What? Guilty? How?"

But it was Parsons, David Rovers, and Gwen Munson that were looking at each other in total shock and anger that I paid attention to. They were half-whispering, then Gwen caught me looking at them. She glanced her eyes my way in warning, and Andrew Parsons turned to see me staring at him. He turned back to face front.

Bus-ted.

Yeah, they game themselves away, I thought to myself. "Munson, Parson, and Rovers." I whispered to Muscone as they furtively looked over at me a couple of times.

The Judge began tapping his gavel. "The Death Penalty phase of this trial will begin in one hour. This Court is in recess until then. Secure the prisoner." After the Jury left the room, Peter Blassingame was also taken out, guarded by Deputies...

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Please do not think that Your Iron Crowbar is an Agency of the Weak-Minded. Apparently Edward Blassingame, a couple of dirty FBI Agents, and Gwen Munson did. And their suppositions had just been redirected.

I had long, long suspected that Edward Blassingame might try something like this. One thing Timothy Geiger had found out while embedded in the Blassingame Organization was that people on Blassingame's payroll had the power to do electronic surveillance. And I knew Blassingame was desperate enough to try something like this. So I began watching for dirty tricks, and soon found them.

Gwen Munson had achieved having a night to study the jury pool... and to pass their names to her confederates. Jurors with children were selected, surprising to most... but not to me. I could see that train boarding at the station.

And then Jack Muscone's FBI experts found the rigged televisions in the Jurors's rooms, wired to be turned on remotely and to receive specific transmissions.

So, the evening before, in the dark of night, Jack Muscone and I went to Judge Watts at his home. We showed our evidence, and Judge Watts issued a sealed warrant to allow us to perform a sting.

I expected that the University Hotel would be under surveillance to make sure any unusual Police activity was spotted. What was not spotted was a gathering at Tower Condos, followed by a line of people being introduced to the underground tunnel between the Condos and the Hotel.

No other rooms on the sixth floor were occupied, so Deputies had the Jurors take a bag of essentials and move to a new room on the same floor. As they left, a TCPD Detective or Officer ranked no less than Sergeant went into the room, each carrying and setting up videocamera equipment. It looked like one person was in each room at all times, just as the Enemy expected to see.

The jurors never saw the videotapes of their children being threatened. But we got it all on videotape. And we were able to trace it back to a source inside the Hotel. Arrests had been made.

The next morning, I showed Judge Watts the videos as well as showed what we did to prevent the Jury from being tampered with. He elected to go forward with the trial and the reading of the verdict. The TCPD and SBI began implementing plans to keep the families of the jurors safe. And a joint TCPD-SBI-FBI investigation to find out who did the jury tampering, and for whom, commenced.

Part 23 - On my honor, I will do my best...

2:30pm, Wednesday, August 21st. Paulina Patterson spared no effort to get the Death Penalty for Peter Blassingame. Now that he was convicted, he was attired in the orange jumpsuit of a convicted felon. And a parade of witnesses testified to what the loss of Wendy Withers and Stephen Henry meant.

The testimony of the parents was emotional and powerful. Mrs. Withers sobbed as she told the Jury that her daughter had always been bright, wholesome, and worshipful of the Lord, that she was not a skank, and that what was done to her was a violation of her body and spirit.

Professor Stephanie Steele testified that Stephen Henry was a very promising future physicist and astronomer, and he was also liked and respected by his professors and colleagues. The Baptist Campus Minister testified about how helpful Wendy was in raising money and food and other items in their drives, and the Glee Club members testified one by one that they had lost a wonderful singing voice as well as a friend in Wendy's murder.

Gwen Munson got her turn, and there was little she could do. Indeed, she was unprepared, having expected an acquittal, and I expected that she was putting more time into her appeals and complaints about Judge Watts than in the Death Penalty phase of the trial. She tried the route of telling the Jury that Peter Blassingame was a young man, and a mother's son, and that his promising life and career were also over, and that the death penalty was unwarranted for what was a first-time offender. Yeah, she said that.

Paulina got the last word. She first told how a promising young woman, a mother's daughter, had been violated in the most brutal way, and then was shot down as she attempted to get Justice for herself and her fellow victims. But what came next was one of the most powerful closing arguments I'd ever heard.

She brought out the projection screen, and the first slide was cast upon it.

"Ladies and Gentlemen," Paulina said, "this is not Stephen Henry. This... is Commander Donald Troy, receiving his Eagle Scout award." Indeed, it was me, tall, slender, titian-haired, in my Boy Scout uniform with my merit badge sash over the shoulder, 51 merit badges sewn upon it, and a white sash with a red arrow with two red bars on either end of it, denoting the Brotherhood of the Order of the Arrow, Wimachtendienk W W. I thought to myself that this photo was one of the very few times my father's face outwardly showed that he was proud of me.

"After earning his Eagle Scout award," said Paulina, "Commander Troy went to college---"

"Objection!" cried out Nathan Masterson. "Relevance!"

"Oh, I'm going to show relevance, Your Honor." Paulina said.

"Overruled. You may continue." said the Judge, who was also fascinated by the presentation.

Paulina said, showing the next few slides, "As I was saying, Commander Troy went on to college, where he earned his Chemistry degree and was commissioned into the Army Reserve." Photos of me in college and being commissioned were shown.

"He then went on to become a Military Police Captain in the Army Reserve, and ultimately a Town & County Police Detective." said Paulina, showing a picture of me in earlier days of my TCPD career. "There, he went on to earn two Medals of Valor..." Photos of me being awarded my two MOVs were shown. "And he was promoted to Police Commander, the second highest rank on the Police Force."

Another photo came up. "This is Steven Walter Henry earning his Eagle Scout award." Paulina said. "Here he is in college, working at the telescope at the Observatory..."

The next photo was gruesome, and showed Stephen Henry on the ground, having just been shot dead. Paulina said "But we did not get to find out what Stephen Henry's future would hold, if he'd be a man like Commander Troy became, or if he would become the great scientist his professors thought he could be."

A photo of Stephen being buried at his funeral came up. "Instead," said Paula, "Stephen Henry was murdered, shot dead at the beginning of his life. And why? Why was he murdered? Because he stopped to help someone in need. He stopped to give a young woman a ride after she got away from those holding her. He stopped to help a woman that had been gang-raped. He stopped, trying to do the right thing."

Stephen's Eagle Scout photo was shown with a crime scene photo, of his car that had forcibly been stopped. Paulina said: "The Scout Oath says 'On my honor, I will do my best... to help others at all times...'. The third point of the Scout Law says that 'A Scout is Helpful'. And for following those noble goals, for simply doing the right thing, for trying to help another person, Stephen Henry was hunted down by a rabid dog. He was pursued, his car run off the road, and he was dragged out of his car and shot in the head twice at point-blank range. Just for helping a girl in need."

"I ask you, ladies and gentlemen," Paulina finished, "to deliver Justice for Stephen and Wendy, the only Justice that can match the heinous magnitude of Peter Blassingame's horrific crimes..."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

After the Jury had left to deliberate on Peter Blassingame's fate, I barely was able to stand up out of my seat when Wendy Withers's mother came over to me and practically collapsed as she sobbed. All I could do was hold her up as she cried.

"Thank you." she whispered. "Thank you for everything you did for my daughter's sake." I then exchanged hugs with the other parents of the victims, who also hugged Paulina and Jenna Stiles.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

5:30pm. The Jury had again quickly reached a decision. They filed back in, and delivered their report. The Court Reporter read out loud that Peter Blassingame should be put to death, executed by the State for his brutal crimes.

Judge Watts read the sentence: "You shall be put to death at Jacksonville State Prison by lethal injection..."

I watched Peter Blassingame being taken away by the Deputies. I saw the looks of furious hatred on the faces of Gwen Munson, Nathan Masterson, Blassingame's mother, and especially Andrew Parsons. They did not touch me. Executing Peter Blassingame would not bring back Stephen Henry nor Wendy Withers.

But it was truly the next best thing.

Part 24 - Charters, Knots, and Razors

7:30pm, Wednesday, August 21st. The Charter Commission convened at City Hall.

"You look exhausted, Commander." said the Rev. Joseph E. Williams.

"I am." I said.

"Please tell the Sheriff how sorry I am over his loss." The others echoed that sentiment, and I said I would tell him.

"And that was a great job by ADA Patterson to get the conviction of that Blassingame thug." Rev. Williams continued. I could sense Savannah Fineman was irritated at that, seeing that Paulina's death penalty summation had somehow gone viral on YouTube, and was on Cindy's 'Meet Commander Troy' page, as well. It was getting huge compliments nationwide.

"Yes, and I'm glad that slug is finally convicted." I said. "Susan Dougherty is next."

"Her attorney called the D.A.'s Office today." said Savannah. "She has charges of multiple counts of aggravated rape, conspiracy to commit murder, aiding and abetting murder. Miriam is going to offer consecutive sentences without possibility of parole, and that pretty much will mean life in prison for her."

"Okay," I said, "let's get started. I've gotten some opinions on Council oversight of County Government." I went through the email answers I'd gotten over time, then said "Most of them recommend what basically amounts to a Board of Inquiry. But I got one good alternative... the Mayor and Council can, by majority vote, force the Inspector General to have an Inquest Board on an issue if the I.G. is not already having one. Since we've already put in requirements that those have to occur within a set period of time, the I.G. couldn't just delay action on it."

"I like that." said Edward Steele. "And it prevents duplicate investigations. If the Council demands an inquiry that's already happening, then the I.G. can say 'Yeah, we're doing that already.'."

"Exactly." I said. "So we're all good on recalls and removals from office?"

"Petition of 30% of registered voters in the district in question, and two-thirds majority votes of the Council and two-thirds majority of the Assembly." Savannah said. "The Council and Assembly can act without a petition, as well. For myself, I'd like to see the recalls go through less hoops than the full two-thirds from both bodies. Maybe the 30% gets a recall election."

"Elections are expensive." I said. "So either they'd have to happen only during regularly scheduled elections, or a lot of money might be wasted if we have to hold special election after special election after special election..."

"I've never liked the idea of recalls, anyway." said Edward R. Steele. "Yes, I know I'm saying that as the only elected official here tonight, but even if I wasn't, I've just never liked it. I think 30% is too small a number, but I don't really know what else to offer as an alternative."

"I'll just say this." I said. "I think of Thomas P. Cook. I think of my firstborn child in a warehouse filled with explosives. And I start thinking of ways to recall and/or remove elected officials. Then I think of Governor Jared, and the false accusations against him, and I think that those ways of removal need to be stringent enough they can't be abused."

"We may not agree on Jared, nor that the accusations against him were false." Savannah said. Edna Carter nodded vigorously in agreement.

"My point is," I said, "we have to strike the right balance. And I partly agree with Edward that I'd tend to err on the tough side. We're not the Italian Government, here."

"What about the Unions?" asked Edna Carter. "The NEA is getting more and more militantly hostile about the School Board not being able to set taxes."

"Is anyone you know of being threatened with harm?" I asked. "I'm asking for a friend in the Police Department."

Edna said "Not yet, but once we put out the final draft, there's no telling what they might do."

I deepened my voice into my best Darth Vader impression and said "Leave them to me. They don't know the pow-er of the Dark Side of the Crowbarrrr."

"Seriously," said Edna, "I know you're the Police, and taking them on is your job... but I don't want anyone to get hurt."

"Do you think what we've done in the Charter is the best thing for our County's students?" I asked her.

"Yes." said Edna.

I nodded. "Leave them to me..."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Afterwards, I headed over to the Cop Bar. The (regular, old) back room was full of Detectives, Police leadership, and a victorious ADA and State Attorney. They hailed me as I came in.

"We're celebrating the Blassingame conviction." Joanne Warner said happily.

"Just not too much, Ms. Warner." I said. "You're celebrating for two, remember?"

"I'm taking it easy." Joanne said.

"You guys should celebrate." I said. "Paulina and Jenna put together a great prosecution, and you Detectives and Officers did an outstanding job on the case."

"Modesty is a human trait, Commander." growled a voice from the end of the long table. Sheriff Griswold was not pregnant and was not holding back on the bourbons. "Tonight... I will not excuse it. You brought it home, and you did an outstanding job. Congratulations!"

"Three cheers for the Iron Crowbar!" Roy McGhillie called out. "Hip hip!"

"Hooray!" everyone cheered. "Hip hip!" "Hooray" "Hip hip!" "Hooray!"

"God save the Queen, eh Cindy?" I asked.

"Yes sir!" Cindy said happily, her cheeks rosy, having had a few drinks herself.

"Well, there is one thing I'm accepting cheers for, tonight." I said. "The official first draft of the Town & County Charter... is a done deal!" Everyone cheered.

Part 25 - Two and Three

"This is Bettina Wurtzburg, KXTC Channel Two News!" exclaimed the redheaded MILF reporterette at 7:00am, Thursday, August 22d, from the reporters' area of the Courthouse Complex. "We are bringing you continuing coverage of the conviction and death sentence of Peter Blassingame!"

Bettina: "In a verdict that is sure to be appealed, the Jury of seven women and five men found Peter Blassingame guilty of all counts against him, including aggravated murder and aggravated rape charges that made the case death-penalty-eligible. And the Jury unanimously voted that Peter Blassingame, son of magnate Edward Blassingame, should receive the Death Penalty, which Judge Rodney K. Watts sentenced Blassingame to by lethal injection."

Bettina: "We have with us U.S. Attorney Richard Baldwin. Mr. Baldwin, was the sentence for Peter Blassingame fair?"

"I don't think so, Bettina." said Baldwin, being shown by split-screen. "I think it was way too harsh for a young man who was a first-time offender. I call upon Governor Val Jared to pardon Peter Blassingame or at least commute his sentence and take death off the table."

"Thank you, Mr. Baldwin." said Bettina, who continued: "And District Attorney Miriam Walters announced that ADA Savannah Fineman has worked out a tough plea deal with Pi Omega Sorority member Susan Dougherty. If accepted by the Court, Ms. Dougherty will be spending the next sixty years in prison without possibility of parole. Ms. Dougherty faced aggravated rape charges in the same incident for which Peter Blassingame was just convicted. D.A. Walters said that A.D.A. Fineman has saved the County a lot of money that the expense of a trial would have cost."

Bettina: "In local news, the Town & County Charter Commission issued a Press release stating that their first official draft is complete. The Town & County Examiner will be printing a special edition today, and the text of the draft can be found on the Town & County website." Bettina gave the website URL, which I won't put here because some of you would actually try to access it. "The final hearing will be next Wednesday, August 28th, at the Civic Center Auditorium."

Bettina: "And U.S. Senator Samuel Russell was arrested and arraigned in the City for multiple rape charges." Video of the arrest being made was shown. "Senator Russell was given bail of one million dollars, and was confined to his home and ankle monitored. It is not clear if he will be allowed to return to Washington when the U.S. Senate is gaveled back into session in a few weeks."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

"And it keeps getting better." Cindy Ross said as we drank coffee in the Chief's Conference Room. "Russell arrested, too. I just hope they can convict him."

Tanya Perlman said "I'm hearing rumors, and not just from Jack, that Russell may get a plea deal if he tells what he knows about things like BigAgraFoods, State Parcel Service, and so on."

"Like Blassingame?" Teresa asked. Tanya nodded.

I said "You know, Russell is like Edward Blassingame. He can make a lot of powerful people very uncomfortable if he opens his mouth and talks. It'd be funny if the Feds played Russell and Blassingame against each other."