Vox Populi Vox Dei Ch. 04

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"We'll pull raffle numbers out of this glass box," I said, pointing at the large round cylinder, "and if your number is chosen you can speak or pass it on to another person. A microphone will be brought to you to ask questions, which is why we're holding this in here, in case you were wondering."

I continued: "We're going to allow certain public officials to speak anyway; they are lined up to the side of the stage, here. And I'm going to shut this down around midnight. If you don't get to ask a question, you may write your issues or questions on one of the cards available at the back of the room, and I promise that we will read them."

"The text of the new Charter was posted online," I said, "and printed in the Town & County Examiner. So, without further ado, our first speaker is..."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

One of the first speakers was the State head of the NEA, the powerful Teacher's Union. He said: "We are strongly opposed to the part of the Charter that has the Town Assembly setting school taxation rates, to the point that we will be campaigning strongly against the Charter's passage if that section is not changed to the School Board setting the rates."

"You're at liberty to oppose the new Charter." I said. "You're at liberty to peacefully campaign against it." I then stood up. "But let me make one thing clear, and not just as Commission Chairman but as a Police Officer: I will not tolerate threats. I will not tolerate violent or bullying tactics. I will not tolerate coercion. And if any teachers within hearing of my voice are threatened or coerced, give me, Police Commander Donald Troy, a call. I assure you that any threats or actions of violence will be investigated, arrests will be made, and violent protests will be quelled with whatever force is necessary to quell them." Applause broke out among some of the audience. The NEA rep looked furious.

Fire Chief Quinlin came up. "I won't pull rank on you tonight, Commander." he said, meaning it jovially, and getting some polite laughter.

I looked over to where Sheriff Griswold was seated, then turned back to Quinlin and said "It wouldn't matter if you did." There was laughter in the room, and I said "What is your issue, Chief?"

Quinlin said "This County is not ready for a return to an EMS Department, and especially not one that is independent of the experienced leadership of the Fire Department. We have made proposals for Fire Rescue unit as part of the Fire Department, which could serve in the capacity of the EMS service you propose, without all the negatives an EMS would bring to the County."

Edward Steele took that one up: "We've already received legal opinions that a Fire Rescue service would be illegal, and the U.S. Department of Labor and U.S. Department of Justice would be all over it like a wet blanket. So that is not an option."

"And I would say" said Rev. Joseph E. Williams, "that a separate EMS service is something the People will be considering when they vote."

Chief Quinlin said "I do want people to understand when they vote that a large majority of the Fire Department does not support an independent EMS. It is very possible that Fire Department services could be disrupted or not available should that portion of the Charter pass. I don't say that as a threat, but as a very real possibility."

I saw Sheriff Griswold's face get red behind his mustaches, so I said "Thank you for your input, Chief. We need to move along. Who is next?"

Battalion Chiefs Tucker and Carlson both spoke in opposition to the rank structure. I said "I've got really bad news for you guys. That may be implemented even before the Charter is passed."

We began pulling raffle tickets out. The first one to speak was an attractive young black woman wearing a red shirt with a person holding a pennant on it. She said "Currently, the Boards of Inquiry are our only means of protection from Police brutality. Why are you eliminating the Boards of Inquiry?"

"Thank you for your question." I said. "First, you bring up the issue of strained relations between the black community and the Police, which I believe have gotten much better over the past few years, thanks to Sheriff Griswold's hard work." There was some applause for that asskissing.

Then I said "I want to assure you and everyone that I, and I believe the others here on the Commission, believe that what we are replacing the Boards of Inquiry with are much better, much more fair to all sides, much more efficient, and much more likely to get to the truth of a situation than what has currently been going on. An Inquest Board can have an actual jury of up to six people and a judge, or just be an administrative hearing. The person acting as prosecutor will not also be one of the persons rendering judgement or findings, taking a very political and problematic issue out of the equation."

"And what's more," I said, "these Inquest Boards will have a good deal of autonomy from the Public Safety Department, the Town & County Council, and pressures from other entities. It's about as fair and independent as we can make it, and that's better for all of the People of the County of all ethnicities, and for the Police and others that may be subject to the Boards."

Another person's raffle number was called, a middle-aged businessman. He asked what would happen if the new Charter failed to pass. I replied that things would continue under the present system. He asked if the Town & County would split again, and I said that was beyond the scope of the Commission, and that I didn't personally know what might happen...

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

To my surprise, at 10:30pm the desire to ask questions ended. I called out three raffle numbers in a row that got no response. So I asked for people to just raise their hands and we'd bring a microphone to them, and only had five people raise their hands.

Once they were done, I said "I'm going to call for an adjournment, but before I do I want to thank my fellow Charter Commission Members. They've given hours of their time for several months, and they've all done a conscientious and outstanding job." The audience stood and gave them a long and well-deserved standing ovation."

Then Edward R. Steele took his microphone and said "And on behalf of the Commission Members, and the the People of the Town & County, I want to thank you, Commander Donald Troy, for the tremendous effort you have made to put this together, to see it through, to work out the compromises we've made, and what can only be described as herding the cats." The audience and other Commission Members gave me a long round of applause, which I appreciated. But I appreciated getting this done even more. Pass or fail, we'd done a good job, and I felt good to have been part of that.

We would meet the next day and make only a few minor changes. At an afternoon televised ceremony, I handed Mayor Allgood our final proposal for the Town & County Charter, and the clock began ticking. The plebiscite would take place on Tuesday, September 24th, with early voting beginning the next Tuesday.

Part 28 - Epilogue

Friday, August 30th. Commander Cindy Ross was in her office when her assistant Lauren Wilcox buzzed her and said Lt. Myron Milton wanted to see her. She said to send him in.

"Ma'am," said Myron as he came into the room and shut the door, "I've been following up on Amber Harris and Sunnydale. I just obtained information that some prisoners are being brought into Sunnydale today. Some, like Amber, are starting their sentences. Some are being transferred out of State Women's Prison for good behavior." He extending his hand, offering a file folder.

Cindy took it and began reading, and she immediately saw it. "Have you told Commander Troy about this?" she asked.

"Not yet, ma'am." Myron said.

"Don't." Cindy said. "I'll handle it. Thank you for this. You can go."

"Yes ma'am." said Myron. He exited the office, leaving the Green Crowbar to contemplate this incredible new information...

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

That night, I sat with Sheriff Griswold by the fire in his backyard. He'd invited me to come over, telling me he had some important news for me.

"I had you as Executor of my Last Will and Testament." said the Sheriff. "I've changed that. Selena Steele has agreed that either she or someone at the J.P. Goldman Bank will do that."

"Okay." I said, wondering why the change.

"The reason for the change, Crowbar," the Sheriff said, "is because with my wife passing on, you are the only family I have left. I am leaving everything to you. I am naming you my sole heir."

"Uh, sir?" I gasped, stunned.

"There's a few endowments, to the Presbyterian Church and the Police Widows and Orphans Trust Fund," said the Sheriff, "but the house, whatever possessions I have left, my gun collection, my fishing poles... they'll all be yours. I have no other blood family at all. You were like a brother to Charlie; he said so himself. And you're the closest thing to a son I've got."

"I... I'm honored, Sheriff." I said, feeling very emotional. "You're family to me, too, and like a granddad to my children. I just hope it'll be a long, long time before we have to worry about any of this."

After some talk about specifics, I said I had to get home. We got up and hugged each other, and I left. As I drove over the mountain to The Cabin, I realized the Sheriff was right... nothing against my real father, but Sheriff Griswold truly was more of a father figure to me, someone that I looked up to like few other persons in this world. And it was his legacy... in his Police Force and his life... that I was consigned to keep and protect...

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Amber Harris stepped off the bus with the other inmates, all clad in orange jumpsuits and orange lace-less sneakers. She was processed into Sunnydale Medium Security Prison, where it was noted she was pregnant.

She was sitting alone in her assigned cell when a female guard came up. "Here's your new roommate, sweetie." the guard said. A moment later a beautiful, slender, raven-haired woman stepped into the cell.

"Hi. I'm Amber." Amber said.

"Amber Harris? The reporter?" the other woman said. Amber nodded.

"I'm Betty." said the woman. "Betty Morelli..."

Finis.