Vulnerable and Gorgeous

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"That's too bad, Robert sympathized. "We'll leave tomorrow morning. If I took the card, would it be too late?"

"Ah, probably. Anyway, I don't think I should aggravate Vicky more than I have."

I was enjoying the coffee when Robert suggested: "After your coffee, Jenna, why don't you take the shower first. I'm sure you'll feel better once you're in clean clothes."

"Oh, this coffee has almost restored me. Thanks Nathan."

"There are clean towels in the bathroom. Take your time. They don't have water restrictions here," Robert helpfully added.

I took the remainder of my coffee to the bedroom and selected nice lingerie and my colorful cotton dress. I'd no idea what might happen tonight, particularly with Nathan gone. I'd no reason for expectations other than my own desires, however it was best to look my best in case Robert did take a fancy to me.

I took my clothes to the bathroom so I could undress in privacy. Strangely it was the presence of Nathan that made me modest as I would have loved to have been less inhibited around Robert.

The warmth of the shower was soothing. As I rubbed the soap slowly over my skin, I imagined Roberts hands on me. I was already anticipating what delight we could both experience tonight.

Toweling myself dry, I realized that my expectations weren't based on any suggestions he'd made. If I glanced at his image in a magazine, I probably wouldn't have looked twice. It was just... it was hard to put a finger on it... it was just that he made me feel comfortable... secure... respected with a deep mutual understanding. I just knew he'd be a considerate lover.

Having showered and dressed, I left the bathroom to be greeted by the smell of onions and sausages being fried. Robert was doing the cooking and just seemed to be in his element. I did notice his eyes locked on me as I came into the room. It was a warm complementary stare which made me feel a sense of satisfaction. Just like a magnet, I was drawn to watch him as he prepared our early lunch.

Although he'd everything in hand, I asked: "Is there anything I can do?"

After consideration, he said: "Could you grab the coleslaw from the fridge and grab some knives and forks." Then he turned to Nathan who was reading in a chair: "Do we still have some Coke?"

"There should be some on the bottom shelf of the refrigerator."

"I can see some," I informed them. "There are three cans."

"Well that is one each. We can get more drinks from the store this afternoon," Robert concluded.

As my stomach was now rumbling for the taste of the sausages, I asked: "Do we have ketchup?"

"There may be some in the fridge, but these are brats so find the mustard which should go better."

Robert served two sausages and the caramelized onion for each of our plates before we sat at the table. We then helped ourselves to the coleslaw and condiments for a more than satisfactory lunch.

We'd just finished when there was a shout outside.

---------------------------

"Ahoy there!"

I recognized Stan's voice, however before I could move, Nathan had shown unusual alacrity and was already at the door inviting Stan inside.

"Hi folks. I just wanted to let you know the situation. My partner is watching this Carl gentleman. I patched up his scratches. He's sleeping it off at the moment, however when he wakes, I'll have to release him unless Rob wants to press charges."

I could see from the expression on Stan face that this was clearly not his preference. I didn't need the hassle anyway, so I replied: "No... I wasn't hurt; just as long as he doesn't disturb Jenna or me."

"Well I have no idea what he might do when he wakes, however he was making lots of incoherent threats about both of you while I patched him up. Hopefully that was just drunken bravado, but who knows. Of course I have no right to tell you what to do, but I would be inclined to avoid any problems by not being around when he is released. As you may know him better than me, you make your own judgement, but maybe going home early would be smart. Just be aware the Rangers have other duties and can't continually monitor him; on the off chance he is a problem."

"Thanks for the advice, Stan," I replied before pondering what to do.

I wanted to stay the night and spend more time with Jenna. I'd rarely met a woman that spoke so genuinely, without affectation or gushing flattery. The contrast was probably more noticeable as recently I seemed to have attracted a string of insincere women hell bent on trying to hook a husband.

The real problem was there seemed to be a dark side to Carl that I didn't like. Although Jenna had avoided bad mouthing him, a guy that just left his injured partner to fend for themselves, to satisfy their own ego, was not to be trusted.

Jenna had been studying my face, seeking my decision.

Hastily she said: "I don't want to be the cause of more problems."

"You're not the problem Jenna, but maybe discretion is the better part of valor." Her nod of concurrence was all I needed. Having made the decision to leave early, I reconciled myself with the thought that maybe I could spend time with Jenna after I dropped her at home.

"Do you think it would be alright if I stayed two more days?" Nathan asked Stan.

What was Nathan thinking? He'd already planned to leave.

"Does Carl even know who you are? If Rob and Jenna aren't here, I can't see why he'd disturb you."

I now understood what Nathan was thinking. In anticipation I asked: "You want me to deliver the card to your sister, don't you?"

"Would you mind? It means I could stay another two days... as planned."

How could I say no? Nathan had done plenty of favors for me before. It was just that Vicky lived on the other side of the city. Trying not to show any reluctance, I said: "Well I suppose so. I'm going back anyway."

With that decided Stan offered some reassurance: "I'll keep an eye out when I can. Hopefully we won't see Carl at the Village again." He turned to me and added: "Have a safe trip back down the mountain. I'll see you folks next time."

Once Stan departed, I had my shower and packed my gear. I was soon loading it into my car. Nathan followed me outside with Jenna's suitcase while Jenna prepared a final coffee.

As I lifted the suitcase into the trunk, Nathan asked: "Well did you nail her last night?"

"What sort of question is that?"

"Oh sorry, perhaps I should have asked, did you both make passionate love?"

"No I didn't... plus I wouldn't tell you anyway."

"Why not, man? You're always far too timid."

"How could I take advantage of her when she was recovering."

"Okay, but don't look a gift horse in the mouth. I'm sure she'd be willing. She never lets her eyes leave you."

"Well thank you Dear Abby for your advice. Perhaps Abby could also explain his own dearth of female companions." That seemed to conclude any further discussion on the matter.

Unfortunately Nathan was correct. Too often I'd been slow out of the starter's blocks. I wanted to know the woman before I asked her out. As I was cautious of dating work colleagues, I'd resorted to frequenting some clubs with little success. Most of the women wanted to dance and drink in excess. Generally the noise wasn't conducive to meaningful discussions. When they did talk, they were just gushing or silly. The repetitive scenario was becoming tiring and a waste of time.

I now felt I knew Jenna. There was a lot of her history I didn't know, but I knew her temperament and values. They were the important things, although I was eager to know everything that made her tick.

Dressed simply in a colorful sundress, she stirred my desires. Appearing after her shower, her wet hair was combed straight so that it could dry. Now she'd returned it to a tight braid that added simple elegance to her beauty.

Having revived ourselves on coffee, we were now ready to go. Nathan handed me the card and checked that I remembered Vicky's address.

"Of course. Now please reassure me that you did sign it."

"Yeah, that's done." As I opened my car door, he casually quipped: "Now don't stop anywhere, as you'll only just have enough time. I promised that I would get it to her by 3 pm at the latest. She'll probably want you to take her to the post office as well."

"What!" I declared, disclosing my irritation. It wasn't just that he'd withheld this piece of information, it was that this would severely restrict my options with Jenna.

"Yeah... I promised... didn't I tell you?" Nathan unrepentantly enquired.

I didn't say a word as I closed my door. Giving an ambivalent wave, I drove off with Jenna. I now had to work out how I could spend more time with her.

For clarification I asked Jenna: "Where did you say you left your car?"

"It's at a girlfriend's place in Easley. As Carl lives nearby, I left the car there, so he didn't have to come into town."

"Vicky lives at Fountain Inn. That's almost an hour further on."

I could drop Jenna at Easley on the way, however that would prematurely end our association... and any chance of becoming more intimate.

"With the change of plans, I didn't get to see Nathan's paintings," Jenna pondered. "I also haven't seen your photographs or sketches."

Her comments tickled me, so I laughed and explained: "That is a line I have always wanted to use. Would you like to come up and see my etchings?"

Jenna's response was immediate: "Any time!"

She was smiling broadly. Although I hadn't intended to blatantly ask for sex, I wondered if she'd just accepted. The more I thought about it, I became uncertain whether she'd accepted an invitation or was just responding to my joke. In any case, it wouldn't be tonight.

"You know this little favor for Nathan means that I'll have to drop you off at your car and then continue to Vicky's. I would have liked to have spent more time with you."

"The same here. I have really enjoyed your company, Robert." She then paused before asking: "Do you prefer to be called Robert or Rob, as Nathan uses?"

"Rob is only for really close friends... so I was hoping you'd call me Rob also."

"I'd like that, and it would make me happy if you also called me Jen."

"It would be a pleasure to make you happy, Jen. So when could we get together again?"

"Oh, it will have to be soon. I owe you dinner. In fact, I owe you another thank you for helping me deal with Carl. I forgot to say so earlier, but his reaction left me a little upset. Now that's three things that I'm now indebted to you. Perhaps that means three dinners or activities."

I liked the way this conversation was going so I added in a jovial manner: "Don't you think three is a bit miserly."

"Ha ha, yeah. But after I cook dinner, you mightn't think it's a favor. I'll need a couple of days to properly plan it."

"I'll need your number. Do you have a pen?"

"Sorry, I don't. Besides my cell is probably out of action for a while. But I will call you."

"If you look in the glove compartment, you should find one of my business cards."

"Great. I'll give you a call on Monday from work."

Jen found the card and also pulled out a paperback. "Did you enjoy this book; 'The Power of One'? I remember seeing the movie, but someone told me the book is better."

"It depends on what interests you. It's such a personal story I wanted to know what the boy, Peekay, was feeling and thinking. That is difficult to portray in a movie. The book gives a better understanding of his predicament while surviving and growing up in South Africa. You can borrow it if you like."

"Thank you. I'll use your business card as my bookmark."

I enjoyed our conversation on the trip back. I discovered that Jen played tennis, so we made a tentative commitment for a game. Naturally, I was disappointed when we pulled up outside her friend's house.

I guess my feelings were obvious, as Jen lent across and gave me a nice kiss on the lips. It was just long enough to react, but not long enough for me to really enjoy it. On reaching across, Jen had dropped the book, so she was bending over scrambling along the floor retrieving it before she said: "Thank you again Rob. I'm grateful that you came along when you did."

"You're welcome. It made the camping enjoyable."

I removed Jen's suitcase from the trunk however she insisted on carrying it off so that I wouldn't be delayed. I sat back in the car and waited until she opened her own vehicle. Having both waved, I drove off.

Back at home, after being of service for Vicky, I was constantly thinking about Jen. I always started by reminiscing about our conversations and remembering her smile. That night in bed, I visualized her shapely figure and firm breasts and wondered how we'd make love.

Next Monday at work, I made a point of staying close to my office phone while also keeping my cell ready on my desktop. I was eagerly waiting for Jen's call.

On Tuesday, I did the same, but was quite despondent when I didn't hear from her.

I now wondered what the protocol was for ringing a girl. She hadn't given me her number, but I knew she worked as a travel agent. When I checked the internet I found over a dozen in the city, however from our conversation I was certain she must be close to the city center. I decided that if she didn't call by lunch time on Wednesday, I would start a search.

It was well past lunch time before I had the opportunity. When I phoned the two closest travel agencies, they'd not heard of her. On the third attempt, the lady that answered the phone suggested I try Adventure Travel. I looked up the number and dialed.

The call was answered by a young female voice with a well-rehearsed patter. When I asked to speak to Jenna Petersen I was politely asked to wait.

The next thing I heard was a woman's voice firmly saying: "Good afternoon. May I ask who is calling?"

"I'm Robert Stewart. I was up the mountains with Jen last week."

Normally storms take a while to brew up, but suddenly it was like I was receiving the full blast of a hurricane. "I've heard all about you! You should be ashamed of taking advantage of her. You are a despicable scumbag! Jenna wants nothing to do with you so don't try and contact her again."

"But you must have made..." The phone line was dead before I could even start a response. I was stunned. What had happened?

I replayed the tirade I'd just received over in my mind. How had I taken advantage of her? What had I done? Maybe Jen had told of us sleeping naked together. Could that have been what this woman was referring to? But despite the temptation, I hadn't exploited the situation.

What should I do now? After pondering for several more minutes, I just knew that some silly mistake had happened. I was sure that if I spoke directly to Jen everything would be sorted out. Perhaps I should try again and not use my name.

I noticed the agency had a second phone number. I dialed and received the same well-rehearsed patter. This time it was a man's voice.

"Good afternoon. I have a vacation that is being planned. I was just seeking an update from Miss Petersen."

"Just one moment, Sir. I'll just see if she's available."

There was quite a long wait before the same woman's voice blasted me with: "Now listen, I won't warn you again, stupid. We know your phone number so if you call again or visit these premises, you will have to deal with me and the police. You just want to hope that the police arrive quickly to save you. Is that clear enough!"

The line was dead again. I had no clue. Perhaps I was stupid.

Maybe I should just wait until Jen had time to call me... that is if she still wanted to.

Of course as the days passed, I became more depressed as I couldn't forget her. I'd thought we'd made a real connection. I was convinced that I knew her character which made it impossible to understand why she hadn't called. For just a moment I considered waiting outside the agency premises for when she left for home, but sanity finally kicked in as I didn't need to be labelled a stalker.

Gradually I realized that the attraction had obviously been one sided. If she wasn't interested, it was best that I forget her and put it down to experience. To distract my thoughts, I kept busy, but this only provided limited solace.

---------------------------

"Do you want to join me for lunch today, Jen?" Nicole asked. "I checked with Lauren and as it's quiet, she said we could have an hour if we leave early."

"Give me five minutes to complete these invoices and I'll be ready." I replied.

"I thought we could go upmarket today," Nicole suggested. "I have always wanted to try the 'Cuisine on Main' as I heard their seafood salad was delicious."

We were soon seated at a corner table studying the menu intently when the waiter asked: "Could I get you drinks while you peruse the food options?"

"Do you think we could have a wine without Lauren noticing?" Nicole asked, seeking my endorsement. I'm sure she was relying on me keeping us out of trouble on the basis that Lauren was my best friend."

"Just one shouldn't be noticed. We can blame the vinaigrette dressing if she smells anything." We both chose the house white because everything else looked too expensive.

"You haven't been yourself this week, Jen. Lauren told us about your accident in the mountains and of course we're not taking calls from your former boyfriend. Is there anything I can do to help?"

"Thank you, Nicole. I'm over Carl, however Lauren shouldn't have told you all about last week. Sometimes she forgets she's not my mother. Anyway I don't expect to hear from him again."

"But he called. Sergio told me. Apparently, Lauren gave him a real serve. Didn't she tell you?"

"Apparently she forgot!" First, I wondered what would motivate Carl to call me now. Then I wondered what was said during the phone call, but decided I would discuss it with Lauren later in private. I knew she was just looking out for me, but this was going too far.

"Anyway it wasn't a complete disaster. I met a nice man as well. As my cell phone was ruined from the water inundation, I undertook to contact him so we could meet up again. My problem is that I lost his phone number."

"You know his name of course?"

"Yes, Rob Stewart. I have been searching the internet, but his number mustn't be listed."

"Have you tried searching social media?"

"There are hundreds of Robert Stewart's on Facebook and LinkedIn. There's even a Duke, but none of them declare they're from here or have even a similar image.

"What about his work?"

"He's an actuary, but I can't recall where he said he worked. Who do you think would employ actuaries?"

"Maybe some of the bigger banks and insurance companies. I'm sure the Government also employs them."

"I'm fairly certain that he was talking about risk assessment for insurance, however when I rang a couple of companies, they refused to tell me if he worked there."

"Rather than ask if he works there, you'll probably find less resistance if you just ask to be connected to him. You know as if you're already doing business with him."

We soon moved onto other conversations, however during every lull I recalled Rob's sense of humor, his kindness and his face. As the seafood salad was bland, I even recalled the hearty dinner he cooked in the Dutch oven.

Despite the ordinary salad, I enjoyed the opportunity to have a civilized lunch with a friend. Normally lunch would be a takeout sandwich grabbed in a spare moment between customers. Often this would be late afternoon.

We were just about to leave and pay the check when Nicole received a phone call. I could immediately tell that it was Lauren on the other end. I knew there was only one reason that Lauren would phone us. She wanted us back at the office.

As Nicole answered with acknowledgments and affirmations, I casually watched the other patrons who were able to relax and enjoy their meal without disturbance. It just added emphasis to my desire to have a more predictable work environment that included proper lunch breaks. It was then I noticed him.

1...34567...9