Vulnerable and Gorgeous

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Nicole wants us back at the shop immediately. She forgot she must attend a Council meeting in 10 minutes plus they have just had a flood of customers who are waiting for attention."

Nicole immediately stood up with the check in her hand. I mechanically followed, while my vision remained fastened on Rob. He sat at a table near the window by himself.

After Nicole handed the check and her credit card to the cashier, I grabbed her arm to turn her towards me. Then in a subdued voice, I said: "He's here; that nice man I mentioned, Rob."

"Where?"

"He's wearing a dark suit and is by himself at the window table there."

"You have to speak to him," Nicole urged as I hesitated. I wanted to see him, but I needed to think of what to say. I would have to explain why I didn't call. I needed him to understand.

Just then a tall stylishly dressed blonde woman approached his table. He instantly stood and they hugged for an extended time. She even kissed him on the cheek. They looked ecstatically at each other. As this performance continued, I could feel the blood drain from my face. With it my confidence evaporated.

Nicole's comment: "I bet that's not his sister," decided the matter for me. It was obvious that a good looking stable guy like him would have a model as a girlfriend. I didn't have a chance.

"Do you want to interrupt them and leave your work number. If you're going to do it, be quick as we must return to the shop now."

How would I look interrupting them, dropping a number, then running before I gave an explanation. I questioned whether the embarrassment was worth it as he didn't look as though he needed another girlfriend.

"No, let's just go," and with that I knew I was making a panicked decision that I would later regret.

Back at the office, Lauren issued multiple orders before grabbing her handbag as she flew off to her meeting. My immediate task was to talk to a college girl wanting a holiday in Europe. She'd no idea which countries or attractions her girlfriend and she wanted to see. I gave her two brochures to study and made an appointment to see her next week once they'd developed some preferences.

As the rush now seemed to be under control, my thoughts drifted back to Rob. Perhaps I'd acted hastily due to my discomfit. I also acknowledged I'd been influenced by a flush of jealousy. So what if he had a girlfriend; I still owed him a dinner and more. It had only been 25 minutes since we'd left the restaurant. If I rushed, I would probably still catch him.

No customers were waiting, so on impulse I stood up, told Nicole I would be away for a quarter of an hour, and hastily strode back up the street.

As I approached the restaurant, I discreetly scanned through the window where he'd been seated. I couldn't believe that he wasn't there. I moved up to the window to take a closer look to be certain and then stepped into the foyer. I felt cold as it was obvious that he must have already left. What would I do now?

For the remainder of the afternoon, I completed tasks like an automaton. If I could drown my thoughts in mundane work, I hoped I'd feel less foolish and miserable.

I must have drifted through life for the next week as I constantly fought nagging thoughts about Rob. I'd even phoned a few other company switchboards asking to be put through to Mr Stewart, but always with the same negative response.

My suppressed misery was eventually noticed by Lauren when she called for a private discussion. "What's got into you Jen? You're normally a fountain of exuberance in the office."

"I'm alright." The last thing I wanted was sympathy from Lauren. She already knew too much about my love life failures. I just wanted to keep thoughts about Rob to myself.

I then realized I hadn't challenged Lauren about vetting my phone calls... and having the rest of the staff involved in my private failures.

"What's this I hear about you meddling in my private phone calls?"

"Oh you mean that contemptible misogynist that you trusted to take you to the mountains. I just gave him a few words so he wouldn't contact you again."

"Why did he call?"

"I didn't give him a chance to say. His type obviously thinks he can control you and not expect consequences. You don't want to be exposed to him again."

"I don't want to be near him... although it would've been nice to hear what you said. That would have made me feel better."

"I can't remember exactly what I said, but he had no comeback. Now I have something to make you feel better. You know I have been working with the City Council on tourism promotions. I guess as quid pro quo they have persuaded me to sponsor an art display that has a local city and county theme. I think there will be more of this sort of activity, so I would like you to be involved."

"What do I have to do?"

"We have some invitations to their opening on Thursday night in the Wilson Gallery. Initially I thought you and maybe Nicole would enjoy just attending to meet some of the artists and prominent guests."

Obviously, my enthusiasm wasn't quite as overwhelming as Lauren had hoped as she enticingly added: "There will be some renowned chef serving hors d'oeuvres and plenty of champagne."

I grudgingly conceded: "Sounds nice."

I had a very elegant navy-blue asymmetrical chiffon lace cocktail dress that I'd only worn twice. It had been quite expensive so I was secretly pleased that I could dress up for the night. I picked up Nicole on the way as I didn't want to be trying to socialize with the city's elite without some moral support. Fortunately, Lauren made it clear we were just to mix and observe. She was emphatic that we were to enjoy ourselves.

I have no artistic talent, but I do enjoy natural landscapes, old buildings and portraits of characters. I was pleased that there were many to view and no complete abstracts. Even so there was a great variety of mediums including oils, acrylics, watercolors, charcoal, pencil and pastels.

We even spoke to a few artists and some enthusiastic devotees if not quite connoisseurs. Interesting discussions and several glasses of champagne were making it quite a convivial evening. Then I saw him.

"He's here," I whispered to Nicole.

"Who?"

"It's Rob... and he's with his girlfriend."

"You want to talk to him, don't you?"

"Yes... I just need a minute to work out what I'll say." Of course my jealousy made me focus my attention on his girlfriend. I couldn't work out her age as she looked sophisticated in a long red dress, but her smile was youthful. Damn it, she looked so happy with Rob.

I had another long sip of my drink to build my courage and then handed the glass to Nicole. I was determined to act natural and confident... before I groveled for forgiveness. No... I would just act naturally. I'd survived an embarrassing situation with him before and he'd been the perfect gentleman. I'm sure this encounter would be fine.

I was almost upon him before he noticed me. As soon as he did, he smiled broadly. It boosted my confidence as I knew things would at least be pleasant.

"Hello Jen. You look spectacular in that dress. How have you been?"

"Rob, I'm fine and so glad to catch you. You look particularly distinguished as well, however I have an embarrassing confession. I lost your business card."

"I wondered why there was one on the floor mat in my car." He paused and then looked to his blonde partner who was grinning at him, beaming some secret communication before he continued. "Jen, I have the privilege of accompanying a talented new artist, Heather Richards. Heather, this is Jenna Petersen; a travel agent and friend."

I was pleasantly relieved to be described as a friend, however I wasn't as gratified when Heather sounded so genuine and nice when she said: "I'm so glad to meet one of Rob's friends." I was looking for faults in this girl and frustrated that I wasn't finding them.

Rob then commenced explaining: "I should also be upfront regarding Heather and declare..."

Since the introductions began, I'd been feeling the apprehension grow. Now a chill filled my soul as I knew he was going to confess she was his girlfriend.

"... she is also my cousin. Our moms are sisters."

When the realization finally hit me, I was overcome with relief that turned to unexpected buoyancy. My fears had been unwarranted. Inexplicably I now liked Heather.

Quickly to disguise my previous discomfort, I asked: "So where did you receive your arts training?"

"Many places. However Rob is responsible for me pursuing this as a career. He was my first teacher when I was six. You do know that he's excellent at pencil sketches and watercolors. After Dad died, it was Rob that encouraged me further and funded my attendance at the Rhode Island School of Design."

This didn't surprise me about Rob, but I commented: "That was very generous of him."

Rob added: "Fortunately Heather has talent and won a couple of scholarships relieving me of the struggle to fully fund it. She has three watercolors on display here tonight."

"Is that your preferred medium?"

"It's all determined by the subject, the purpose of the painting and sometimes my mood. For me, watercolors are more exacting, however I can do them quicker. These watercolors are rural scenes with soft colors due to weather, mist and season. Oils are more expensive; however I can cover mistakes or make changes more readily."

We stayed together and reviewed her paintings. Continuing around the room I was intrigued as Heather explained how some of the other artists achieved different effects. I learnt more about art in that half hour than I'd previously known. I wanted to hear more of her insights but as patrons were starting to leave, time was running out.

Turning to Rob, I offered: "I do have a new cell phone. Can we exchange numbers?"

"I was hoping to do that. I received the impression that private calls were unwelcome at Adventure Travel."

"What do you mean?"

"I called twice... and it was made very clear that you didn't want to speak to me. I believe I was called a despicable scumbag."

Of course Heather was listening and burst into laughter. Still giggling, she added: "I don't think I even called you anything that bad Rob."

Now I was embarrassed. I knew what had happened. "I'm so sorry. My friend... and boss, Lauren must have confused you with Carl."

"Well her description of Carl was certainly accurate." Heather's laughing must have infected Rob as he was also quietly laughing at the confusion. It calmed me down considerably. What properly restored my confidence was realizing that he'd tried to contact me.

Not wanting any more confusion, I insisted: "Please, let's swap cells so we can give each other our numbers."

Once I received his cell, I dutifully listed my details against the name Jen while he did the same. We then returned them.

Most people had now departed, and I could see Nicole patiently standing near the wall waiting for me. I started my goodbyes with: "This time, I will definitely call you. Remember, I owe you dinner."

I turned to a still smiling Heather and said: "It was a pleasure to meet you and thank you for broadening my knowledge of art. I also think you're very talented."

"I have enjoyed meeting you also. Before you go, I have to say that Rob is also very talented. If you haven't seen any of his work, you should come up and see his etchings."

Both Rob and I burst into laughter at the innuendo. Heather's smile convinced me that it had been deliberate.

Having restored some self-control, I leant into Rob and gave him a kiss on the cheek before he could react and then promised: "I'll call you soon; goodbye."

---------------------------

I watched Jen join up with another woman and then depart. I was feeling my self-esteem grow as I thought about our next meeting confident that it would occur. I knew we'd hit it off perfectly up the mountains, but the confusion on the phone and the lack of any other contact had created some doubts.

My day dreaming was then interrupted by Heather: "You like each other, don't you?"

I'd always kept my love life private, but I couldn't deny it. "Yes... I like her... let's just say, quite a bit."

"Don't worry Rob. She more than likes you."

A little astonished but wanting reassurance I asked: "You think so?"

"It was obvious. It was in her eyes and smile, in fact her whole body language. Who knows what may have happened if I hadn't been here to chaperone."

"Don't get cheeky Heath. I'm starting to remember some of those nasty words you said to me when I commented on your first painting."

"Oh, not that again."

Heather was six years younger than me, but we'd always had fun together. It started at family gatherings as she always followed me around. When I started sketching, she just demanded to have a go. I'd helped her with her painting and was surprised at how quickly she picked it up. After her father died in her final year of high school, she decided to drop out to immediately start working. I had some savings, so working through her mom, I finally convinced Heather to return to school and then explore her abilities as an artist.

She'd been staying with me for just over a week and had helped to distract my thoughts from Jen. Now that I'd reconnected with Jen, I guiltily felt relieved that tomorrow Heather planned to leave.

After breakfast, Heather thanked me for letting her stay. At her car she gave her farewells and then just before she drove off, she added: "I liked Jenna. I hope you pursue her."

It certainly was my intention.

I had no intention of appearing too enthusiastic, so as I prepared my morning coffee I considered when it would be appropriate to give Jen a call. All my careful deliberation seemed to be forgotten for as soon as I sat down at my desk, I pressed the number in my cell that had been entered by Jen.

I was overjoyed when I heard that special voice answer: "Hello Rob."

"Good morning, Jen. I just wanted to make sure the number is correct."

"Well, there is something funny at my end. Someone entered your number in my contacts as Rob bf." I'd done that last night on a whim. Now I hoped that she had a sense of humor and didn't regard it as too presumptuous. "What does the bf mean?" she asked in a jovial manner.

I knew she'd have guessed it meant boyfriend, but I thought I should be a little mysterious, so I said: "It signifies I'm a bourguignon foodie, of course."

"You know, I like that. I might insist that you give me your phone again so that I can amend my entry to Jen gf."

"Oh... and what does gf stand for?"

"Gourmet fiend, of course."

Our cheeky exchange was making me feel upbeat. Needing to cement our relationship, I hastily stated: "You'll have to come to dinner with me tonight so you can amend my cell."

"I would love to... however I must attend an after work gathering to celebrate one of the guy's 30th birthday." Then in a surreptitious tone, she continued: "I would cancel except Lauren is away and she wants me to represent her. As it is, there will only be Nicole and myself from the office, other than the birthday boy."

"What about afterwards?"

There was a pause before she answered: "I can probably leave at 6pm. We're gathering at Taryn's Tavern."

"Do you need a lift?"

"I left my car at home so I wouldn't be pinged for drink driving, but Nicole will drive me to the Tavern."

"Great, I'll meet you there at six."

"I'll look forward to it. I have a customer, so I'll have to go now."

"Sure, bye."

I normally meet up with Nathan on a Friday night, so I rang him to let him know I'd other commitments tonight. After his significant probing, I confessed that I was taking Jen to dinner. Surprisingly he didn't try to josh me and even acted like an adult. He seemed genuinely optimistic for me and suggested that we could get together early at the same Tavern. I was more than entitled to an early knock off, so we organized to meet up.

We both arrived just before 5pm. I was waiting in the parking lot for Nathan when a noisy Ford pickup drove in at excessive speed stirring up the dust. It was conspicuous with its bank of lights in front of the roof rack. My guess that they weren't locals was confirmed by their rear Georgia plates.

Nathan eventually joined me, so we followed the two guys from the Ford into the Tavern.

Nathan had arranged to meet two other buddies: Stan and Jerry. Nathan went to order drinks while we stood about a high circular table bolted to the floor. We were soon catching up with gossip and recounting tall tales from our past.

I was surprised that the tavern was filled with so many patrons so early on a Friday. However, once a man and a woman sat on stools on the raised dais, most of the conversation died. As they commenced stumming guitars and singing their country and western songs, it was clear that they were the real attraction of the tavern.

About ten minutes later I noticed Jen arrive accompanied by another woman. Jen caught my eye and diverted to see me.

"Just give me one hour then we can leave," she briefly explained.

"Sure. We're in no hurry," I replied.

I watched her walk back to join the other woman who was standing in a group of three men. This group included the two from the Ford pickup.

The conversation was kept on hold as we listened to the singing. I slowly sipped on a cider while I appreciated the talent. They both had good voices and as I allowed the mellow notes to relax me, I continued to steal glances towards Jen. Probably because they were further from the stage, they continued to chat away. I was relaxed as the girls seemed quite happy sipping some drink with Coke.

Jen's friend departed after half an hour. Impatiently, I kept an eye on the time, so I knew it had not yet been an hour when I noticed Jen move haphazardly through the crowd towards me.

Her face was drawn, and she was struggling with her movements. Her eyes were mere slits as she was bumping into people as if she didn't see them. I knew something was wrong.

I turned towards her, and I only had time to take a couple of steps before she threw herself against me. I wrapped my arms about her and as I studied her face, I heard her plea: "Help me... please." Having secured herself within my arms she basically became limp.

"What's wrong Jen? What's wrong with you?"

"I... I... don't know... dizzy." It was apparent she couldn't be roused to be more informative. It was as if she was just falling asleep. My mind was racing through symptoms as I tried to bring some sense to the situation. I didn't know if it was a heart attack, stroke or something else? I knew she needed medical assistance.

"Nathan, help me with her," I insisted. "I'm taking her to the hospital." We both supported her under her shoulders and started moving towards the main door although it was obvious that Jen was having difficulty keeping up with her feet. Just then, the two Ford guys stood in front of us.

"We'll look after her man," was said forcefully by the dark-haired guy. Then defiantly he declared: "She's with us."

"No!" was Jen's desperate reply.

I just replied: "I think everything has been said. Now, please move out of my way."

Nathan and I just started pushing forward towards the door, but as the dark-haired guy moved to interfere, Nathan exclaimed: "You take her Rob while I help this idiot."

As the Ford guy's partner joined in, Stan and Jerry came to the rescue allowing me to break clear. By now Jen was only just holding herself vertically with my assistance, but she was slowing me down. With a sense of urgency, I bent down, dropped Jen over my shoulder and briskly walked out the door to my car.

Carrying Jen wasn't a problem, but placing her in a seat, with care, was more of an ordeal than I'd expected. Eventually, I pulled her legs inside, straightened her body and connected the seat belt. After shouting for Jen to stay awake, I was soon driving to the Memorial Hospital.

1...456789