Waiting to Happen

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"I'm pretty sure I could take you if you were," she grinned, following my lead. "Okay, wait here. I'll just be five minutes."

With that, Hailey headed and disappeared into her bedroom. I kicked into gear as soon as the door closed behind her, reaching into my backpack for one of the small bugs I always kept handy as I quickly made my way across her living room. Hailey kept her place neat, and it was easy enough to find a spot in her mantelpiece to hide the bug.

I returned to my original position by the door as I activated the bug, checking through the app on my phone that it was properly working. I still had enough time to text Angie that I would be home late before Hailey emerged from her bedroom. She had changed into a white short-sleeved v-neck shirt, but it was the guitar case she had slung on her back that drew my attention.

I looked at her, my dark brown eyes narrowing a little as I smiled. "Are you performing or something?"

"Or something," she replied, again with that soft little laugh before she explained. "I promised someone that I'd teach them how to play."

I sighed in mock disappointment. "That's too bad. I wouldn't mind being the hot guitarist's groupie," I teased.

An uncertain frown creased Hailey's forehead for a fraction of a second, making me realize that I had just flirted with her. It caught me a bit off guard—it was not part of the role I was playing—but not as much as Hailey flirting right back.

"Then maybe I should start a band. I wouldn't mind having a hot groupie either," she grinned, looking a bit shy. Deep blue eyes met mine for a moment before she looked away, and I knew that my attraction to her was reciprocated.

"Let's go, Hotshot!" Hailey smiled, making me wince at her use of the nickname. She walked past me towards the door, leaving me a great view of her backside as I followed.

Don't even, I warned myself. Getting personally involved in my line of work was bad enough, but getting personally involved with the very person I was trying to trick in order to ruin her brother's political career? That was just a disaster waiting to happen.

***

We walked inside the three-storey facility together and it was clear right away that Hailey knew just about every single person at Doors Open that we had passed. She introduced me to a couple of people in the reception area as she led the way towards a huge rec room at the second floor.

It was equipped with pool and air hockey tables, along with several couches denoting different nooks—music, arts, literature. Hailey explained how most of their equipment were donated as we navigated through the roomful of teenagers and young adults. There were some people closer to our age there, too, and I assumed they were either mentors or employees.

"Hails!" A tall and wiry African-American kid—he couldn't be more than 17—greeted as we walked by the pool table where he and a few others were gathered around. Hailey stopped as the kid gave her an enthusiastic hug, hugging him right back.

"Have some time for pool?" The kid grinned at her, casting me a sideways glance and a warm smile before turning back to wait for Hailey's answer.

"I'm sorry I can't right now, Trey. I promised Kate some guitar lessons," she told him, slightly angling her body to show him the guitar case slung on her back. "Do you know where she is?"

"Somewhere by the couch with Riley and some others," Trey replied, pointing to where a group of young people sat around a coffee table.

"Thanks," the redhead smiled before waving a hand towards me. "This is my friend, Claire, by the way."

"Do you play?" Trey smiled at me.

"Some." I nodded, grinning as I took the cue stick he promptly handed over. Hailey looked at me with a small apologetic smile on her face.

"I have to..." She said, sticking her thumb towards where she needed to be. "I'll be just an hour or so, and you can come over and join me there any—"

"Go," I told her. "I'll be fine. Trey and I are just gonna kick some butts at pool while you do your thing. Right, Trey?"

"Yup!" Trey agreed, already setting up a rack with a couple of other teens.

Hailey's smile was grateful. "Okay then. I'll see you later!" She told me before she sauntered off, grabbing an acoustic guitar that was propped against a wall on her way to the couch. One of the kids stood up and offered her a seat next to a short-haired, waifish girl who smiled shyly at as Hailey handed her the guitar.

She was about sixteen or so, but there was something about her that made her seem older somehow. She seemed frail and withdrawn, separate even with the number of people surrounding her. My eyes fell on the table where the girl's left leg was propped up, in a cast. It was only then that I noticed the crutch that leaned on the arm of the couch next to her.

"Let's see what you've got, Claire!" Trey called, bringing my attention back to him.

I enjoyed the company of Trey and his friends for the next hour. The fact that they were in Doors Open meant that they must be going through some pretty rough times, but you wouldn't know it by the way they had fun. They ribbed and teased each other like they were old friends, and maybe they were, but they treated me the same way, too, and instantly made me feel welcome.

Occasionally, I would look over to where Hailey was teaching Kate how to play the guitar, noticing how the teen seemed to grow more comfortable in Hailey's company each time. Once, I caught Hailey as she played, her fingers deftly fiddling the strings. She swayed softly, her hair loosely flowing about her as she slightly tilted her head to the side. I watched a little smile cross her lips and I couldn't help but smile, too, as she sang a song I was too far away to hear.

Then Hailey glanced my way and I had never been more aware of my heart skipping a beat than in that brief instant that her smile grew wider before she looked away.

One of the kids brought my mind back to the game by reminding me that it was my turn. We played for a few more minutes until I felt a tap on my shoulder and turned to see Hailey standing behind me.

"Done?" I asked her.

"Almost," she grinned sheepishly. "Just give me five more minutes. I just need to talk to someone."

"Sure thing," I told her. I said my goodbyes to Trey and his friends while Hailey talked to an older woman who clearly worked for the organization.

Soon, we were back in her car. Hailey suggested that we grab a bite to eat but I declined, knowing that I had kept Angie waiting long enough. We kept conversation as she drove me home.

Hailey told me a little about Kate when I asked. The teen had gotten into a car accident a couple of weeks ago after a fight with her dad, who wasn't too happy about it when Kate had come out to him. She told me, too, how Kate and her parents were now getting some counseling at DO and I told Hailey how I thought the work she was doing at the center was amazing—which I really did.

Hailey shook her head and said it wasn't just her. She then proceeded to tell me about the people who worked there and the programs they were working on as I listened, occasionally providing her directions to where I lived. Hailey was so light—so comfortable—to be with that I actually felt a bit disappointed when she stopped in front of my apartment building.

"Come an hour early tomorrow," she said suddenly as I was taking off my seatbelt. I looked at her questioningly and Hailey promptly explained. "The team's helping out at this camp thing in the morning. You should come with us. I mean, if you want to."

"That'd be great!" I smiled at her. I thanked Hailey as I got out of the car, already excited at the prospect of spending more time with her.

It wasn't until I was inside my apartment that I realized I had completely forgotten to ask her anything about Matt.

Three

By 8 AM the next morning, I was back inside the campaign van along with Hailey and the others. Bear sat up front this time, leaving more room for us in the back during the hour-long ride. Hailey sat a couple of seats behind me with Celine while I found myself once again next to Connie, who explained to me where we were headed.

It was to another one of Matthew Byrne's charity projects—an anti-bullying summer camp for kids. He was set to give a short speech there today, and those of us wearing campaign shirts would be assisting with the kids while the camp counselors and facilitators were up on the stage with him. It seemed to me like just another photo op for the Byrne campaign.

A camera crew was setting up by the time we arrived at the camp. Matthew was already there, surrounded by his own team of corporate types in suits and power dresses. I stared at him, finally regarding my mark in the flesh.

He was definitely charming. Tall and handsome, he wore an easy smile on his face while he and his team spoke with some of the counselors. He looked approachable, his hair perfectly styled and his jaw line firm. To me, he seemed like a Politician Ken doll—too good to be true, which meant that he probably wasn't.

I glanced away only to see Hailey looking at me from where she stood a few feet away. The indiscernible look in her eyes instantly vanished when I met her gaze. Briefly, she looked towards her brother's direction as she smiled and walked up to me.

"Come on," she said, once again linking her arms with mine. "I'll introduce you to him."

The next thing I knew, we were walking towards Matthew. Hailey called out to him as we neared, and the guy immediately excused himself and walked over to us. Brother and sister hugged—obviously close and glad to see each other—and then Hailey made introductions.

I played the part, pretending to gush over and even asking Hailey to take my picture with the young politician-in-waiting before he went back to his team. She did, a slight frown crossing her features as she looked at the photo she had taken before handing my phone back to me. I looked at it, too, and found nothing particularly wrong with it.

It wasn't long before three busloads of kids with their guardians and parents began arriving. We helped the adults check their kids in and showed them where they could take their seats after. The children were grouped into three different age ranges and placed with their corresponding assistant counselors.

All our team had to do was help watch over the kids during the program, which wasn't so hard. I just followed the assistant counselors' lead and the kids—other than being fidgety—were generally manageable for the next hour or so.

I approached Hailey after the program had ended and the kids had been safely turned over to their counselors. Bear and the others were about to head back to HQ, and I stopped by where Hailey and Celine stood talking to each other to let them know.

"Ready to go?" I asked them both. Hailey glanced when she heard me and smiled.

"Oh, no, you guys go ahead. I promised Cels I'd help out some more this morning." She told me. "Celine works here, by the way."

"Admin stuff," Celine clarified, seeming less standoffish than usual. Maybe she was warming up to me, but it was hard to tell.

"I'd be back at HQ after lunch." Hailey added, turning back to the conversation the two of them were having before I had interrupted.

"Oh," I nodded, seeing an opportunity to spend time with Hailey without the others on the team surrounding her. "Can I help, too?"

Hailey's eyes returned to me in slight surprise. "Are you sure? This doesn't really have anything to do with the campaign anymore."

"Oh, yeah!" I assured her a bit too enthusiastically. "I had a great time with the kids earlier, I'd be glad to help out some more."

"Right." Celine interjected, drawing out the single word a few seconds too long. From the way Celine rolled her eyes at me, it was clear that she knew Hailey was the actual reason I wanted to stay. Of course, the woman didn't know that my interest in the redhead was business in nature, or so I told myself.

"Okay." Hailey shrugged, ignoring her friend's sarcasm. "I mean, if you're sure."

"Great!" I beamed, hurriedly excusing myself so that I could let Bear and others know that I wouldn't be going with them.

Hailey smiled at me when I returned, already starting to walk even before I could reach her. I fell in step with her and she filled me in on how she had offered to help out with the art activities until lunchtime, which was a little less than two hours from now. It was obvious that Hailey had done this for the camp plenty of times before.

How she could find the energy to be so involved in these causes on top of her day job, I didn't know. But that wasn't any of my business, I reminded myself, so I didn't ask.

"How about Matt?" I tried to keep myself on track. "I mean, does he actually do anything besides fundraising?"

Hailey glanced sideways at me as we neared the activity hall. "Those funds help a lot to keep these places running." She said.

"Certainly looks good on his résumé," I observed with a shrug and Hailey gave an amused little laugh.

"One minute you're my brother's biggest fan and now you're his critic," Her tone was light but I could tell that she was confused by my current attitude.

I didn't say anything and, fortunately, I didn't have to. We had reached the art room and Hailey immediately set to work.

"Okay," she told me, checking her watch. "We've got less than 10 minutes before the first batch comes. You set up the tables and I'll get the supplies."

She disappeared into the supply closet and we spent the next few minutes getting everything ready for the kids. Soon, the second graders arrived with their counselors and Hailey and I assisted them through a back-and-forth drawing game.

The first graders came after that and they were definitely more of a handful than the previous batch. They were pretty much instructed to paint whatever they liked which led to a fun but definitely busy half hour. I barely got any chance to interact with Hailey until it was time for the kids to go.

They each handed in their works as they left and one of them—a blond, green-eyed boy named Josh—gave me a hug before scurrying out of the room. Hailey's smile met mine as I watched him disappear with the rest.

"Sweet kid," I told her. I saw that she had started to gather all the materials in a box and I did the same.

"I see he's left quite the impression on you," Hailey grinned as she moved towards me. I wasn't sure what she meant until she clarified, "Your shirt."

I checked the back of my shirt, stretching the fabric a bit towards the front and saw a tiny blue handprint near the hem. I looked up just as Hailey walked past me, oblivious to the multiple sets of prints that littered her own back. I smiled as I followed her into the supply closet.

"How long have you been doing this?" I asked her.

"Volunteering? A few years," Hailey answered without looking at me. "But Celine and I used to be counselors here when we were younger. Matt, too—so I hope that answers your earlier question."

She turned her head slightly to show me her grin, but her expression quickly turned to alarm. "Oh, no, no, no. That door only opens—"

But it was too late. The door had already closed behind me as Hailey lamely finished, "—from the outside."

I stilled and smiled apologetically at her, but I was unprepared for Hailey's reaction to being locked in. She dropped the box unceremoniously on the shelf and scurried past me through the tiny storage space, frantically banging on the door.

"Let us out!" She yelled even though we both knew there was no one else in the room outside. She was in a full-blown panic, but now wasn't the time to ask her why and I had to stop her before she ended up bruising her hands.

"Hailey!" I said, trying to get her to face me. I had to repeat her name a couple more times before I finally got her attention. "Hailey, stop! Breathe."

Hailey followed, nodding as she closed her eyes. She placed her hands on her hips and I could see how difficult it was for her to calm herself down.

"There's no one out there," I began, hastening to finish my sentence when those blue eyes snapped open in panic again. "But we can call someone. We can call Celine! Do you have your phone with you?"

She nodded silently, forcing herself to take deep breaths. Her eyes were starting to brim with tears as she fished out her phone and unlocked it. I held out my hand and offered to make the call for her, and Hailey's hand was visibly shaking as she handed me the gadget.

I looked up Celine's number and dialed it, glancing at Hailey when it began to ring. She had her head bowed, some of her dark red hair falling to cover her face as she tried to still the shaking in her hands. I knew that this was the kind of fear that wouldn't just magically disappear with a comforting word or two.

I took her hand instead and a gentle current surged through me the moment our palms touched. Hailey looked up as our fingers locked, letting me know that I wasn't the only one who felt it, and I held the fear in her gaze until Celine's voice sounded through the other end of the receiver.

I told Celine about the situation and hung up after she assured me that she was on her way. I gave the phone back to Hailey, who wouldn't look at me as she took it. She didn't take her hand back, however, and we stayed like that in silence for the next few minutes until the door finally opened.

"Hails! What were y—?" Celine started but Hailey didn't let her finish. She immediately unlocked her fingers from mine and rushed out of the room. I looked at Celine, who just nodded and set off to follow her friend.

I stood there, feeling an overwhelming urge to go after Hailey. I wanted to make sure she was okay—to comfort her if she would let me— which was precisely why I forced myself to stay put. It all just felt too personal and I knew I needed to take a step back.

Maybe a little space was exactly what Hailey and I both needed.

Four

I did not volunteer for the campaign the next day, opting to hand over some files to G&P and get paid instead. I spent the rest of it with my grandmother, catching up and playing gin. That Hailey kept crossing my mind was the only justification I needed for taking this time off from the Matthew Byrne project.

I still had nothing on the guy. Looking into his charities' accounts was a bust, and the questions I had been able to ask Hailey and the others hadn't produced the answers I was looking for. They all basically said the same thing—Matthew was a good man.

And maybe he was, but that didn't mean he had never done anything bad in his life and that was really all I was after.

It could be that I was asking the wrong questions. Or maybe these guys just didn't trust me enough yet to dish out the nitty gritty. The thing was I didn't have the time to gain their trust. I only had four more days to give G&P valuable information about Byrne before they gave the case to someone else.

I needed a new strategy. One that would effectively get the team—more specifically, Hailey—to let their guards down, and I knew just the thing.

On Friday, after handing out more flyers, I casually suggested to the group how we should go out for drinks that night. They weren't so hard to convince that they deserved to unwind, and we all agreed to meet up back at HQ by 8 PM.

Celine and Hailey were already there by the time I had arrived. They both looked cute in their outfits but it was Hailey that I couldn't take my eyes off of, no matter how I tried.

She wore a loose, backless halter top over tight-fit denims and heels. Instead of clashing with her hair, the silky, emerald top perfectly complemented her auburn tresses and, at the same time, called attention to the creamy expanse of skin she was showing. The two women greeted me with a hug, and the brief contact of my hand against Hailey's back confirmed what I couldn't help but wonder— she felt just as soft as she looked, if not softer.