We're a Wonderful Wife Ch. 09

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Oh stop!" Mai took Rosa's hand and patted it. "I know em yêu, but she'll be home soon. Now go welcome your new sister just like I welcomed you. Go!"

Karole had sat down to study the menu before opening and was about to get a sip of her water when a pretty Hispanic woman appeared at her side. "Hi, I'm Rosa..." She never got her introduction out. Karole leapt to her feet and wrapped her arms around the restaurant manager.

"Lanh has told me so much about you, I'm so happy to meet you!" gushed Karole.

"She did?" asked Rosa in a tiny voice.

"Oh lawd yes! She said she wouldn't a made it through high school if it weren't for you, she said that watching you receive your gold medal was one of the proudest moments of her life!" Karole held Rosa out at arm's length, "I can see why she misses you so much."

"She does?" Rosa collected herself and held a folded cloth out to Karole. "This is for you, never lose it." Karole unfolded the cloth to reveal a white waitress's apron. "If you ever need anything, you put that apron on and come in here. You'll have a job, food to eat, and if you need one, a roof over your head. Believe me, with a little one on the way, it's a huge relief to know that you have a safety net."

"Ah... ah don't know what to say," said Karole as she looked at the simple apron.

"You say 'thanks sis' because you're a Nguyen now," Rosa pulled her new sister close, "We're all here for each other."

"Thank you, ah've never had a family before, jess my momma and she's gone."

"Don't thank me, thank Mai and Duong. They've been collecting us strays since Lanh brought Don home."

Just then, Tam stepped into the dining area, she was heading off to work when she saw Karole hugging Rosa. Seeing the apron in Karole's hand told Tam everything she needed to know - she's got a new sister. With a sigh she made it official with the words, "What's with all the white people in this family now?"

꙳~~꙳~~꙳~~꙳~~꙳~~꙳~~꙳~~꙳~~꙳~~꙳~~꙳

Karole fell right into the swing of things at Nguyen Pho. Like Don said, the lunch crowd generally knew what they wanted. If Karole had a problem, it was getting used to the people. Down south the folks would just chatter away with their waitress, up north they're sweet, but reserved. There was one time when she was waiting for a pair of ladies to make up their minds when she noticed the snow falling outside of the main window.

Like all other businesses on Main Street, Nguyen's Pho was decorated in its holiday finest. The main window was decorated with sparkling garland and sprigs of holly, shining ornaments, flickering lights, and someone used spray snow to simulate frost at the edges of the window. Outside the snow was drifting straight down, the flakes spinning lazily to land on the heads and shoulders of shoppers as they walked past the window. Over the speakers Karole could hear some of Duong's Christmas music from the 40's and 50's. Right now it was Bob Hope and Marilyn Maxwell singing the original version of Silver Bells and Karole was transported to a beautiful but alien world covered in a layer of snow and Christmas cheer. It was a world she only saw on Hallmark Channel holiday movies, something they tried to replicate in the deep south, but they could never come close to the sheer beauty of the season that she's seeing right now.

"Oh miss!" one of the matrons called breaking Karole's revere.

"Ah'm so sorry ma'am, have we decided?"

The lady chuckled then looked over her shoulder at whatever it was that Karole was looking at. "My goodness, you act like you've never seen snow before!"

"Ah ain't!" said Karole. "Today is the first-time ah ever seen it!" Both ladies started laughing heartily until Karole insisted "It's true! Ah'm from the DEEP south and ah haven't seen no snow before this mornin'. We didn' git any snow in Denver las year an I don' go up in the mountains..."

"Good grief, how did you land in Grant Valley Minnesota?" asked one of the laughing women.

"Lanh and I brought her with us," said Don as he appeared from behind Karole. "In Greeley she's our next-door neighbor. Hi Mrs. Grady, Mrs. Farstad."

"Donnie!" they both cried and rose to hug him. "I didn't know you were back," said Mrs. Grady.

"We're just here for Christmas," said Don as he reached for his hug from Mrs. Farstad. "Lanh's contract has two more years then we come home for good."

"It'll be so good to have you back home," gushed Mrs. Farstad as she sat back down.

"Duong is good, but we like your cooking better," whispered Mrs. Grady.

"Do you ladies need more time deciding?" Karole asked.

Don waved her off, "It's ok, I already know what they want," and he headed back to the kitchen. 'The Girls' nodded in agreement so Karole went back to her duties waiting on other customers until Don set two plates for Karole to take out to the two ladies. One was a fried noodle plate, the other was a rice bowl with beef. "Here you go, I'll bring out the drinks."

"Who gets which plate?" asked Karole. She wanted to have Mrs. Farstad's plate in her right hand so she could set the plates properly.

"It doesn't matter," said Don as he picked up two gayly decorated cocktails. "They both like both meals, they'll pick off of each other's plate." He then raised one of the drinks, the drinks were red in color in holiday decorated highball glasses. They were garnished with a wedge of lime and a cherry. "These are just tonic water with some of the maraschino cherry juice mixed in. Neither one drinks but they like the way these drinks look, so I make them virgin tonics in the winter and virgin margaritas in the summer."

"What's a virgin margarita?"

"Limeade with crushed ice in a salted margarita glass."

"Yankees! Y'all are just as weird as us crackers," laughed Karole as she carried the plates out to the table. "Here you go dearies."

"Are you ready for the storm tomorrow?" asked Mrs. Grady.

"She's got more to worry about than a little snow," laughed Don as he set the glasses down. Then to answer Karole's questioning look he grinned and patted her tummy. "Little Krissy's cousins are coming to decorate the tree and make lefse tomorrow." And with that he returned to the kitchen leaving Karole to face a myriad of questions she had no answers to.

That evening Karole was exhausted, it's been over a year since she put in a shift like that. She wanted so desperately to close her eyes and nap in Don's big, rattling old truck but the snow was falling again and the Christmas lights on each house and farm they passed were so beautiful. Her favorite was a small tree out in the middle of an open field, not a building in the area, but it was lit up and glowing in its solitary glory. "How is that thang lit up?" she asked Don.

"We've seen an RV parked out there during hunting season, so I think there's an outlet there that they can use for that little tree," Don said.

"So pretty," sighed Karole as the big white farmhouse appeared around the corner, so inviting, so warm, so much like the home she always dreamed about while sleeping on couches that stank of hound dog, stale beer, ass, and cigarette smoke. Tonight, every window in the Campbell farmhouse showed a flickering candle, an old fashion symbol of showing an invitation to wandering travelers and lost children promising warmth and comfort inside. "Are we really going to have a storm tomorrow?"

"Weather report says one to two feet starting after sunset," nodded Don.

"Feet?" The thought of snow up to her knees was terrifying and exhilarating at the same time. "We'll be trapped!"

"Maybe," grinned Don. "Cool, eh? And we're going to have some company tomorrow."

"Uggh," groaned Karole, aching from being on her feet all day. She got out of the truck slowly, gradually putting weight on her sore feet and definitely not in the mood for company. Next time she's going to listen to Rosa - three hours max, then rest and put her feet up, but the tips were so good! The customers of Minnesota fell in love with their knocked-up waitress that talked like a trucker. And she met so many sweet people, even some teachers of Lanh and Don. Before she realized it, Don had come around the truck to her side and draped her arm across his shoulders.

"Here, lean on me," and together they made their way through the snowy gloom into the beckoning warmth of the farmhouse. He took her coat and scarf then led her into the living room and he helped the exhausted waitress onto the couch before sinking slowly and painfully next to her.

"Your feet too?" asked Karole.

"Feet, knees, and back," he groaned. "Mostly my back. It's really fucked up and standing bent over a wok is the worst." A stab of pain shot through his back so intense it resulted in a wave of nausea.

It must be bad, Karole thought, he rarely swears that she's noticed. Just as Karole was about to remind Don that he needs to relax and sit down every 15 minutes, a tiny black-haired lightning bolt raced down the stairs and straight to Don.

"UNKA DOOOOONNNNNN!" shrieked Arlo as he vaulted onto Don's lap.

"ARLO!" shouted Don as he began tickling the squirming child. "Did you come out to see me?"

Through fits of squealing and giggling Arlo finally gasped "Grandma Sandy said I can sleep over."

"Are you going to sleep with me and Auntie Lanh? Or are you going to sleep upstairs with Aunty Kim-ly and Aunty Karole?"

"Who?" Arlo clearly hasn't met Karole yet.

"This lady is your Aunty Karole. She's staying with Aunty Kim-ly upstairs... you know, where you take your bath?"

"I sleep with you!" cried Arlo pointing at Don.

"You don't want to sleep upstairs with Kim-ly and Karole. They got that nice big bathtub with all the toys."

Arlo thought about it, his little face scrunched up in concentration. "Bath!" he decided as he patted Karole's stomach. Then he felt something moving. He grew closer to investigate this mystery.

"What are you doing Arlo?" Don asked.

"He felt Krissy move," said Karole.

"Krissy?" Arlo looked confused.

"That's my baby," she placed Arlo's hand on her tummy and soon he felt the baby move again, his face a mask of surprise. Just then Tam, Lanh, Kim-ly, and Sandy started down the stairs, each carrying a storage box or two.

"Is he bothering you guys?" called Tam.

"MOM!" yelled Arlo and he flew off of Don's lap and raced across the living room. He raced up the stairs and grabbed on to the edge of Tam's skirt and chattering in a mix of Vietnamese, English, and "Arlo-babble" at the top of his lungs led her down the stairs, across the living room, and stopped in front of Karole where he pointed at her proudly.

"He says you ate a baby," said Tam with the most deadpan expression Don has ever seen her use. Karole didn't look up to see Tam because Arlo had run up to Karole and patted her tummy.

"I did not eat a baby!" teased Karole.

"Uh-huh!" disagreed Arlo. When he did that Don scooped him up in his arms and held him while Karole started tickling the little boy.

"Did Aunty Kim-ly eat a baby too?" asked Karole as she tickled his bare ribs.

"Kimmy eat a baby!" grinned Arlo as he pointed at Kim-ly's belly.

"What?" Shrieked Kim-ly. "You silly boy! You can't spend the night with me anymore!" and she joined the ticklefest until the toddler nearly wet his pants in laughter. Finally, he settled down and snuggled between Don and Lanh while Don read a Christmas themed children's book to him. Karole found herself drifting off as Ralph lit a fire in the fireplace and Sandy and Tam prepared dinner. It was so warm and comfortable here, and watching Don caring for, teasing, and loving Arlo, Karole wondered if Krissy would have a man in her life to protect and guide her. Lanh told her that she and Don would help. It was so warm there with her two friends, the snap and pop of the fire, Johnny Mathis singing softly in the background, Karole wondered what a roasted chestnut tasted like. For the first time in her life a profound sense of belonging and security washed over her as she fell asleep.

Karole woke from her nap with Arlo sitting on her lap facing her and gently patting her belly. "What are you doing little guy?" she asked.

"Feed the baby." he said with a concerned look on his face.

"The baby is sleeping. Shhhhh! You'll wake her."

Arlo put his ear to Karole's stomach trying to hear the baby snore but was disappointed. "Baby not sleeping," he whispered.

"Arlo honey," called Tam from the dining room, "Did you tell them dinner's ready?"

"Oh!" Arlo looked at Karole and whispered, "Supper time," then he hopped off her lap and started to shake Don's knee. With the unerring skill of a child Arlo selected Don's bad knee

The pain shot through Don like a bullet from a rifle. "I'm up," groaned Don and he struggled to his feet. Then fully standing he extended a hand and helped Karole to her feet from the depths of the comfy couch while Arlo looked on with crossed arms and the determined look of a supervisor watching his employees tackle a complicated task. When they were standing Arlo pinched the fabric of Don's jeans and guided him to the dining room where the family gathered at the grand table dining off the fine Christmas china. The candles added a festive note and Don opened a bottle of wine to go with dinner.

The dinner itself was good but surprisingly simple: meatloaf, mashed potatoes, and green beans. "This is Nadine's last meal," said Ralph as he put a plate before Karole.

"Nadine?" Karole looked around for a hint of Nadine.

"That's Nadineloaf you're eating," whispered Lanh out the side of her mouth.

"Thanks to Lanh we name the cows," said Don. "We eat a lot of beef here, and somehow we always end up having meatloaf when the meat runs out of last year's cow. Who's next?" Don asked Ralph.

"One of the cows Kim-ly named," said Sandy, "Cone Keep." There was a pause for a moment then Lanh, Don, and Tam broke out laughing and Kim-ly rolled her eyes and tried to look innocent. "What's so funny?" Sandy asked.

Lanh tried to answer but every time she started to talk the giggles came back. Laughing, Tam would just shake her head and pointed at Kim-ly who continued to act innocent. "Cone Keep is how you pronounce the Vietnamese words for 'damn it'," Don finally answered causing a renewal of the laughter.

"That's a fine and fitting name for most of the cows ah ever had the misfortune to meet before they get wrapped in cellophane," nodded Karole. "Ornery don't work well in the pasture, but it sure works out just fine on the plate."

"Amen to that," agreed Ralph. "Cone Keep will grace this table tomorrow night."

"Liam says we shouldn't eat animals," said Arlo sadly. His older brother has a vegan first grade teacher.

"Awww little guy, there's a place for all of God's creatures," said Don, "right next to the mashed potatoes."

꙳~~꙳~~꙳~~꙳~~꙳~~꙳~~꙳~~꙳~~꙳~~꙳~~꙳

"That was a mean thing to say to a little kid," said Lanh as their lips parted.

"So is telling him he's eating Nadineloaf. That's why we shouldn't name our cows." The gentle warm water cascaded over them as Don sat on the shower chair and Lanh sat on his lap. They kissed gently and sweetly, enjoying the warmth of each other's closeness. It's like this every time they return to the farm, the pains and worries of life outside of the farm's barb wire borders are forgotten and their love blossoms anew.

Lanh considered his thought and nodded. "Ok, no more names. That way there will be no named suppers by the time Krissy moves in and is eating solid food."

"You're sure about this? You really think that Karole will move up here when we do?"

Lanh stopped nibbling on his earlobe and said "Oh I know she will, she and I talked about it. That's why she's here, scouting the area, and why she'll be here for our anniversary and the fourth of July and our autumn birthday bash." She just named off the quarterly visits Don and Lanh make home to Minnesota. In return many of their family members consider Don and Lanh's house in Colorado a vacation spot within easy reach of Estes Park, the gateway to the Rocky Mountains, or in the case of Mai, Duong, Ralph, and Sandy, a place to relax away from the bustle of a life they're preparing to retire from.

Their lips met and their tongues reached out to each other's when the sound of a small hand patting on the bathroom door reached their ears. "I gotta go potty!"

Don sighed and chuckled. Lanh rested her head on his shoulder and laughed. "I knew this was going to happen," she sighed and sadly got up from Don's lap then helped him to his feet.

"We'll be right there little buddy!" called Don as they quickly dried off and pulled on their robes.

"I suppose if we had kids this would have happened by now," Lanh smiled as she put on her glasses and opened the bathroom door. Arlo dashed in and climbed up on the little stool in front of the toilet and dropped his pajama pants.

"If we had kids they probably would have just barged in while we were in the shower," said Don as he hoisted Arlo off of the step stool when he was done. Don then helped the little boy with flushing and cleaning up and Lanh watched wistfully. He would have been such a good daddy to kids of their own, maybe their meeting with Karole was pre-ordained, maybe they were meant to help her with Krissy instead of their own children.

"All done!" cried Arlo cheerfully as he held his hands out for inspection.

"Good job!" replied Don as he inspected Arlo's tiny hands. "Let's get back in your bed, bug-a-boo." And with that Arlo dashed back into their sitting room and crawled into his little cot. Tam and Jake made sure that all grandparents were equipped with kid-cots for sleepovers. Arlo climbed into his cot that featured an attached sleeping bag adorned with dinosaurs while Don put on a couple pieces of wood on the fire. "Are you asleep yet?"

"Yes."

"Ok, see you in the morning. Auntie Lanh and I are right there if you need us," said Don pointing to the bedroom door.

"Story," said Arlo with a mischievous grin.

Don sighed. His doctorate was in education, he couldn't deny a child a chance to read no more than he could cut off his arm. His main philosophy in child education was to read a story to a child, every night and whenever else they ask, never let the TV do it for you, and to have the child read along with you. Don selected Arlo's current favorite "The Caterpillars Christmas," and sat down next to Arlo holding the book for Arlo to see. "Here's your words, Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle."

"Wigg-o wigg-o wigg-o!" Arlo repeated. And off they started into the magical story of a Caterpillar that wanted to see Santa Claus. As the story progressed the caterpillar moved about his milkweed plant and every time, he moved Don would point to the words on the page and Arlo would 'read' the words "Wigg-o wigg-o wigg-o" with a huge grin of accomplishment.

Lanh watched from the doorway and soon the hissing and snapping of the fire, the flickering lights from the little tree, and the story of the caterpillar that somehow survived to December put Arlo to sleep. Tears for a life that could have been trickled down her cheeks as she fell in love with Donovan again and cursed herself for her failure to provide him with their own baby.

Don barely made it to the part where the sleepy caterpillar decided what he would want for Christmas when Arlo was fully asleep. Don got up, tucked the tyke in, then went to his wife who stood by the door to the bedroom sniffing and pretending not to cry. Their playtime was over for tonight, it was just time to cuddle now. Finally, under the covers he held her close. "It's snowing," he whispered. She snuggled closer and tried to hide the shuddering brought on by her tears. "We can try to write your name in the snow... we always seem to get sidetracked when we try..."

1...34567...9