All Comments on 'Westrons Pt. 25'

by AspernEssling

Sort by:
  • 27 Comments
RedRhythmicSerpentRedRhythmicSerpentover 4 years ago
Love the story!

But HATE politics. That said, I'm excited for your next posting. Thank you.

SlavrarSlavrarover 4 years ago
Love the story, not a fan of this situation

Not a fan of the whole cheating spouses situation here. Seems against character. Don't understand why Cook would even want Isa, considering that the change is temporary when he has the sisters who are more than happy to have him constantly.

ZZchromosomeZZchromosomeover 4 years ago

Dangit, I totally forget who Iloni is, now I have to go back and look for it. One of the downsides of reading a serial, I tend to forget who key players are.

AnonymousAnonymousover 4 years ago
Holy forking shirtballs

What an awesome twist, and all the foreshadowing about Ishana finally justified. Best chapter so far.

Master_LokiMaster_Lokiover 4 years ago
2/5

I've gone totally off the story. I'll keep reading until the end, but I find it hard to see where it goes or care who he ends up with. Feel sorry Tallia's character, she's been put through the ringer.

NightsLongKnightNightsLongKnightover 4 years ago
Well done

I am enjoying the whole of story. It is politics, war, relationships and so much more. The little human stranded on this exotic world, that you have brought to life. Beautiful written. Keep it up.

gemman1gemman1over 4 years ago
Just keeps getting better

Nice new twist, but Aneli should have realized that Cook would never go against the Queen, regardless of what he says to get out of this situation. Ishana doesn't know it, but I suspect she is going to die for being a traitor.

AnonymousAnonymousover 4 years ago
Woah

Talia pregnant? Being hurt by Cook? Oof. Can't help but wonder if this spells the beginning of the end of their relationship. Her being pregnant doesn't sit right with me, but then again neither does polyamory.

However, for a story this damn good, I am more than willing to soldier on. I can't help but wonder what this will mean for the characters, what sort of transformation it will wrought.

AnonymousAnonymousover 4 years ago

Tallias thread is boring. Now shes pregnant. Lame. The cliffhanger was bad enough. Normally I've been five star with every story and chapter you've released but the lthese last 2 I cant put 5 stars. I completely disagree with this course. This chapters cliffhanger was much better and interesting.

AnonymousAnonymousover 4 years ago
I see the other comments, want to say:

Love everything. Love the politics, love the situation with Isa, love the battles, love the cliffhangers. Great moves. Keep it up. Proud of you.

AnonymousAnonymousover 4 years ago
Hybrids

This is a great story, thank you! I was thinking about the fact that Kanitz is a hybrid. The other two hybrids in the story are Tallia and Eslye, because one of their parents is Human and the other Westron. Does that mean that Kanitz also has a Human parent? If not, then what were her parents that made her a hybrid? Kanitz with a Human parent would explain a lot.

AnonymousAnonymousover 4 years ago
Hybrids

To Anonymous who asked about Kanitz' parents.

In the chapter where she interrogated Cook & then told him to get his & Talley's stories straight before further investigation, she asked about her father. Her father was Pylosian/Human but shipped out around the time she was born. That might have been the big trip where Talley stayed behind, deserting his post. Her mother was Westron and raised her.

Comentarista82Comentarista82over 4 years ago
a bit confusing

...because while I rated this 5, I agree with parts of some other postings: one regards Tallia's jealousy and the other, her getting pregnant.

I realize there would be some twists. I knew Iloni would show up sooner or later, but NOT like this and *not* using Aneli. It feels like a betrayal of a magnitude I can't fathom, second only to dull Senau somehow impregnating Tallia. While I realize in a way it's "fair play," it shocks all the characters for being something that "shouldn't have happened." We expected Iloni to plot behind the scenes, but I don't know of anyone that could have foreseen her acting through Aneli. One thing that's really inconsistent with established development is Tallia avoiding her family when she was very close to all of them. Then it comes out Tallia IS actually jealous? That one's hard to swallow.

I knew Ilona would be along, but now I'm going to find it interesting to see how you address this because it looks like this imperils so many things and even some characters. I'm sure no one will shed a tear if Koroba murders Ishana...beyond that, I say walk very carefully with the next because I'm befuddled by these developments. I really don't feel for example that Cook would *not* have been very jealous and him seeming milquetoast now seems incongruent with just a general male reaction. Although I guessed a possible Crolian civil war, I would not have thought it plausible even for Cook to allow Isa to displace Tallia in his heart from the structure of how you drew Tallia and him as a couple. If you wanted to really throw us a curve ball, you succeeded in throwing 3 or 4 our way and making us whiff at all of them.

I hope you post the next chapter faster than this last one, as if you wanted to create some misdirection, you succeeded. Now it has to clear up some sooner rather than later, so none of this intrigue and back-door dealings lose some readers.

AnonymousAnonymousover 4 years ago
Personal guards

Cook is great in a battle but is terrible at polotics and security. I would have thought that he would have trained his own personal guards a long time ago. With all his knowledge of history I thought he would have been better at polotics as well. After the mess he is in now I would think that if he can get out of it he should take the people important to him and leave the capitol. Let them burn in their own political intrigues.

AnonymousAnonymousover 4 years ago
Don't be a coward

Listen, I can't pretend to know everything about writing and human emotion, but when someone is confronted with a negative shock, like he was with talia, they react, one way or another. They don't smile and nod, doing nothing. You had him conform to Westronian thought the one moment we, or at least I, wanted to see human emotion. I love the rest of your work, its why im here still at #25, but don't be afraid to allow him to be morally reprehensible from time to time.

muze1602muze1602over 4 years ago
Nice!

A cliffhanger! Can't wait to read where you go with this. Does Kanitz have a secret spy network, every ambitious politico does. Been really enjoying the battle scenes as well; reminded me of Bernard Cornwells "Sharpe"series. Waiting in anticipation.

EridonEridonover 4 years ago
Wow.

This dissonance of values really, REALLY, baffles me, to be honest. It's okay for Cook to fuck anything that moves, but his partners are only allowed time with him?

I would also say that Tallia hooking up with Senau makes sense, due to how she treated Penchen Hemmer, as well as if you remember that Penchen hemmer does make the individual the closest possible to attractive to the recipient. Moreover the reason Tallia had latched so much on Cook is that he was the only one that would work for her. You could even consider her sacking up with Senau part of her jealousy even, partly motivated by it.

lastman416lastman416over 4 years ago
Another Great Chapter

It’s weird to me how so many commenters can love this story about a man who has multiple sexual partners but turn so aggressive and even trollish when one of those partners has one other partner other than the main character. Not every story on this site needs to be about wish fulfillment.

In terms of exploring the people and relationships of an alien culture, this story remains top notch.

thorvaldssonthorvaldssonover 4 years ago
Fun stuff

Great story, keep it up. I for one love all the military stuff and the intrigue. Cook always seems to assume his various lovers will hang around waiting for him when he’s off with another, but I like that he has flaws like that. This chapter was a bit of a wake-up call for him.

Also, to anyone complaining that he keeps getting suckered by plotters – him sucking at politics is what got him exiled in the first place. This is not new. I like that his genius is limited to one field - that’s how people are.

AnonymousAnonymousover 4 years ago
@Eridon

The reversal of cooks personality is what makes it so jarring. With Themis, Cook knew from the beginning they couldn't be together. That didn't keep him from being so jealous of her husband he wouldn't even bother to remember the guy's name. Now the woman he thought he could have a future with and would be exclusively his, is pregnant by another man he never saw coming. And he smiles... He barely bats an eye. It almost seems like a huge retcon just to shove in something to make the SJW millennials happy or spark controversy

AnonymousAnonymousover 4 years ago
Can‘t wait for next chapter

„make the SJW millennials happy“

Yeah, if you want to be taken seriously this is not the way to go...

I shouldn‘t be surprised by the amount of people that can‘t handle any kind of pushback. Do readers really self-insert themself in stories and only want to read perfect harems with overpowered leads? Does it not get boring?

Back to the story, really love that you keep the plot aways moving. Curious how the latest intrigue will be resolved and I have to say Isa is probably my favorite character so far. That she changed for Cook felt really impactful and because it‘s fiction and an alien that is described I don‘t get the trans comparisons I‘ve seen here, especially since I tend to avoid stories of that section too.

ZZchromosomeZZchromosomeover 4 years ago

Wow, lots of controversy in this chapter. For those complaining he didn't bat an eye when he learned of Tallia and Senau - that's actually not that abnormal. Remember, he's a general, he doesn't fly off the handle when hit with sudden, disturbing news. He needs to process this and that takes time. Once he feels like he understands the terrain and the forces in opposition, then he'll make his moves.

AnonymousAnonymousover 4 years ago
Love the story but this chapter jumped the shark

Seems like you got lost in this one. He is really starting to appear wooden almost, and the channeling thing is really weird. He seems incapable of real love and introducing more and more “real loves” is making it worse not better.

Not sure the story is keeping me anymore and that’s a tragedy.

ZZchromosomeZZchromosomeover 4 years ago
7 out of 10

Of the ten most-commented stories in the past 30 days, Westron chapters are seven of them. Love the story or hate the story, that kind of reader engagement is pretty darn impressive. Number one is Tefler of course, nobody can really compete with him on reader engagement.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 4 years ago
Slightly underwhelmed

Firstly I have to say the only reason I'm making this comment is because this story has really caught my imagination. You're a fantastic writer and the twist with Tallia and the penchen caught me completely by surprise.

I do have to say though, that I feel short changed by the aftermath. It was a great twist because it throws into stark contrast the double standards we can have as readers for the male protagonist vs his female lovers. BUT, I feel like the fact Cook has no inner struggle whatsoever relating to it completely defeats the point. As someone else pointed out, the fact he reacted so poorly to Themis having to marry, as well as the fact he never seemed to like her penchant lover in the first place makes his immediate acceptance feel completely out of character. Like you set up the shocking 'betrayal' for the audience but then no character seemed to care so it ends up feeling a bit meh.

Not only that, but the whole weird retcon of Tallia apparently being the only person in all of westron who gets jealous kinda felt a bit contrived, even if it was foreshadowed. As if Isa is saying that we, the audience should only be allowed to pity her because of cooks relationship with Isa that Tallia weirdly seemed to pressure him into in the first place. And on the subject of westron jealousy, Isa's whole story about the importance of monogamy to penchens just makes Tallias new lover feel all the more slimy for starting a relationship without cook ever having a clue what was going on.

I dunno, it just seemed like a really interesting twist that's slightly ruined by the fact that we're not seemingly allowed to care or dwell on it because cook just doesn't bat an eyelid internally or externally. I feel like it would be interesting to see him grapple with the fact that she not only took another lover, but completely replaced him essentially, before apparently telling Isa that the main attraction to cook in the first place was he was her only real choice.

At the end of the day though the only real reason any of this bothers me at all is because you made me care about these characters in the first place. I guess I just wanted to say all this because I feel like these decisions about characters are the real heart of what draws me to your stories. As good as the combat and world building are, I feel like the inter person relationships are what make everything feel meaningful, so it's a shame to feel short changed by such an interesting plot development.

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

Ok, the main character is officially a man-whore. There are/were too many women and too few actual emotions with him. Then having the second person "change" for different species helped stretched the whole story to beyond belief. The war and intrigue is fantastic but there is a point to call BS and this is about it. Never the less, the overall story is good.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 2 years ago

Thank you for the phenomenal ride through the first 23 chapters, but with the whole Isa transformation and our heros blatant neglect of Talia is like you decided to climb aboard the Christmas feast table, drop trou and take a steamy dump in the punch bowl. Seriously. Please consider re writing that section. Have the Penchens fall for each other, or whatever you decide, just don't go the direction you went. The wheels fell off at that point.

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous
userAspernEssling@AspernEssling
Still writing. More to come. For those who are interested: you may have noticed that I mention music fairly often. That's because I tend to listen to music while I write, so that certain artists/albums become associated with certain stories. Here are some of the connections. G...

READ MORE OF THIS SERIES

Westrons Pt. 24 Previous Part
Westrons Series Info