What Dreams May Come

Story Info
Perhaps it is possible to have a 'Happily ever after' ...
10.6k words
4.6
5.9k
18
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

This story will only make sense if you have read all the existing stories in the 'Virginiaverse' up through 'Promises Made and Promises Kept Pt. 05'.

Note that there is no explicit sex in this story. Thus, it is being published in the Non-Erotic category. However, there are inferences that the main character is a lesbian.

There was one promise made that hadn't yet been kept. This story explores one possible scenario where that promise could be honored.

© 2021-2024 Candy_Kane54

***

... "I promise I'll wait forever for you, my love ...."

... I slowly became aware of myself, feeling relief that there was no more pain. I didn't know where I was or how I had gotten here. I heard the echoes of what I assumed were spoken words, but the meaning didn't register. I tried to move, but I couldn't tell if I was moving or not. I had no sense of up or down, and I didn't feel any pressure that would indicate whether I was upright or supine.

I opened my eyes, but I didn't see anything right away. I started feeling a little anxious when something began to resolve out of the blackness. It slowly grew brighter, and soon, I could vaguely make out objects around me. I could see things when I gazed directly at them, but then they would fade into grayness as my gaze moved on. I felt so weak that my eyes drifted shut...

***

... I slowly became aware I was walking between two people with my arms up. They each held one of my hands, and I took several steps for each of theirs. I was walking on a boardwalk that was out over the water. It was a beautiful sunny day, and I could feel the sun's warmth on my face. I could see the waves rolling onto the beach as the ocean stretched to the horizon. I knew the two people were much taller than I was, but I didn't know who they were, although I felt safe with them. I looked up at the person on my left and saw a kind man's face. He smiled as he looked down at me. I turned my head to the right and saw a beautiful woman smiling as she looked down at me ...

... I slowly became aware that I was standing next to a hospital bed. I could hear the beeping of the machines with wires and tubes hooked up to the old woman lying in bed. She looked so frail as she lay there. I was crying as I held her hand. I watched as she struggled to take one more breath. Then, with a sigh, as though she could suddenly relax and the weight of the world had been taken off her shoulders, she let out her breath. The steady beep of the monitor suddenly became a continuous tone as I pled, "Mom! No ...."

... I slowly became aware I was walking across a quadrangle on a cold winter evening. The sidewalks had been shoveled, but the footing was still a little treacherous. The bare trees were covered in snow, but the Christmas lights were still visible. They twinkled as they lit up as it grew dark. I was walking next to someone, so I turned to see who it was. I looked up and saw a female face with a frown on it. She had sandy blonde hair in a ponytail and blue eyes, and she was talking about how she was upset about the test she had just taken. I took her hand in mine and tried to console her. "It'll be okay ...."

... I slowly became aware that I was standing on a hillside, looking out over a small town laid out like an old postcard below me. It was a sunny day, and I could feel the sun's warmth on my face. The buildings huddled next to a harbor, and I could see a lighthouse off in the distance as a ferry boat slowly pulled up to a dock. Everything looked so beautiful and green. I looked out over a large body of water that stretched to the horizon. I suddenly realized that I could feel someone's arms wrapped around me. I was pulled back against someone taller than I was. I felt so safe and loved as I wriggled into them. I turned my head to look up ...

... I slowly became aware that I was sitting in a restaurant. I looked up just as the waitress bounced up to me. She was my height and build with long, straight brown hair in a low ponytail and expressive brown eyes in a round face. She wore high-rise cuffed shorties and a tee with a pocket over her left breast. I admired her long, toned legs and noticed she wore low-top sneakers and frilly ankle socks. She had a beautiful smile on her face as she said, "Hi, I'm ...."

... I slowly became aware that I was walking along a pier, holding hands with two young boys as we moved between the booths and tables displaying wares. It was a beautiful sunny day, and I could feel the sun's warmth on my face. I looked down to my left and saw a boy with blond hair and blue eyes. I looked down to my right and saw a boy with brown hair and eyes. I was happy and smiling so widely that my cheeks were aching. Both boys looked up at me and were smiling. I heard a female voice behind me saying, "Wait up ...."

... I slowly became aware that I was standing atop a mountain and had a great view of the hills and valleys around me. As I looked down over the edge, I saw a beautiful valley spread out below me with a river running through it. The sun was bright, and I could feel its warmth on my face as I drank in the view. I was standing next to a woman who was my height. I looked at her, and she smiled widely at me. My heart clenched as I thought about how much I loved her. She had long, straight brown hair pulled back in a low ponytail and brown eyes that drew me in like a gyre. I was so happy and reached out to take her hand as I voiced my thoughts, "I love you ...."

... I slowly became aware that I was standing atop a different mountain. People were standing next to me. My left arm was around the person's waist to my left, their arm around my waist. I was looking west toward the sunset, a large city spread out below me. I could see the regular grid of the streets appear before me as the lights came on when the sun dipped below the horizon. The landscape was sere and brown, except for the trees lining many of the streets below. As I lifted my eyes toward the horizon, out on the plateau beyond the tree-lined river were three columns of rock standing out. I knew these were the eroded remains of three volcanic vents.

I looked to my right and saw two teenage boys, one with blond hair and blue eyes, the other with brown hair and eyes, smiling as they looked out at the view. I looked to my left and saw a woman my height with long brown hair in a low ponytail and expressive brown eyes. She, too, was looking out at the view. My breath caught in my throat as I thought about how lovely she looked. She turned, saw me looking at her, and smiled as she said, "It's beautiful...."

... I slowly became aware that I was standing over a grave, dribbling dirt out of my hand onto the coffin. I was so sad, and tears were streaming down my face. I heard the voice of a man intoning a passage from the Bible. It was a beautiful sunny day, the sun falling on my face, but I felt no warmth from the sun ...

... I slowly became aware that I was lying in bed, my heart beating like a trip hammer as I watched her come out of the bathroom. Her auburn hair in a pixie cut made her green eyes pop as she walked toward me, totally naked. My eyes ran over her body, and my breath caught as I saw how beautiful she was. I reached out ...

... I slowly became aware that I was running along a paved path next to the ocean. It was a beautiful sunny day, and I could feel the sun's warmth on my body. I was running along, feeling so peaceful and comfortable that I could run forever. I noticed that someone was running next to me. I glanced over and up and saw a beautiful woman with brown hair tucked under her cap and brown eyes ...

... I slowly became aware that a funeral procession was stopping in front of me. The flag-covered casket was placed on the pre-positioned bier before the honor guard snapped to attention. Then, as one, they picked up the flag. As they ceremoniously folded the flag, the bugler played taps. I carefully noted each fold, knowing that each of the thirteen folds needed to fold the flag up had a specific meaning. It was a bright, sunny day, but I could feel no warmth from the sun.

I looked to my left, and sitting next to me was a tall young man with brown hair and eyes with tears leaking out of his eyes. Next to him, an older woman my height with graying brown hair and brown eyes was crying, the tears tracking down her cheeks, her chest heaving. Next to her sat a tall woman with graying short blonde hair and gray eyes. Her arm was around the shorter woman, and she was also crying. I looked to my right, and I saw a tall woman with brown hair and eyes with tears in her eyes. Next to her were two young women as tall as her, with tears in their eyes.

Once the flag was folded, a member of the honor guard marched over to me with the flag. I stood up as he came up to me. He extended his arms, the triangular bundle held with the point toward him with his right hand under it and his left hand on top. I stared at the proffered flag, not wanting to take it, knowing that when I did accept it, he really was dead and would never be coming back. The soldier stood with his arms extended, patiently waiting for me to take the flag from him. I knew it was an awkward stance for him, but I also knew he would stand there holding the flag out to me until he passed out before he would lower his arms. I looked into his eyes, and I could see the compassion in them. I slowly reached out and grasped the flag tightly ...

... I slowly became aware that I was standing over a grave. A coffin covered in flowers was being lowered into the ground. It was a sunny day, but I could feel no warmth from it. I was holding the hand of someone. I looked over and up, and through my tears, I saw a beautiful woman with graying brown hair and brown eyes with tears streaming down her cheeks. Next to her were two beautiful women as tall as she was. One of the women had brown hair and blue eyes, and the other had blonde hair and brown eyes. Next to the blonde, with his arm around her, was a tall man with brown hair and eyes. They were all crying as a male voice intoned a passage from the Bible ...

***

... "I promise I'll wait forever for you, my love ...."

... I started into awareness as those words rang in my ears. I didn't know how but realized this was not a memory. I opened my eyes and looked around, wondering where I was. I became aware that I was sitting in a chair at a table. As I looked around, I saw other tables and chairs. I looked to my left, and there was a large window there. It was dark, as though it was nighttime. I couldn't see anything out of it, but I could see reflections of my surroundings off of it. I tried to peer out the window, but nothing could be resolved. I realized I was hearing the low muttering of voices, although nothing was loud enough to distinguish any words.

I looked around and noticed that people were sitting at the other tables, apparently engaged in conversation with each other. As I looked at them, their faces were blurred enough that I couldn't entirely resolve their features. I still couldn't make out what they were saying, but I could see what looked like their lips moving. I tried to attract their attention, but it was as if I didn't exist. I started getting anxious, wondering if I was imagining all of this.

I looked down at myself and noticed that I was wearing what appeared to be a uniform. It was comprised of a dark blue skirt that came down to just above my knees and a light blue short-sleeved button-up shirt that fit me like a second skin. I noticed a name tag over my right breast, but I couldn't seem to make out the name on it as I tried to read it.

In a near panic, I turned to the window to see my reflection. I saw a beautiful woman with her hair in a loose bun up off her neck. It was hard to tell, but it appeared that I had honey-blonde hair. Looking at my reflection, I tried to figure out who I was. "Why can't I read my nametag? Who am I? Where am I?" I asked myself, feeling myself getting hysterical.

"Maybe a better question to start with is 'What am I?'" blared a loud voice behind and above me, on my right.

I started, and everything went away ...

***

... I slowly became aware that I was lying on my bed, a book on Microbiology open in front of me. I was studying for the final tomorrow, trying not to feel sad that I would be graduating next week. I didn't want it to end, but once we graduated, we would go our own way and no longer be together.

Our door flew open just then, and she burst in breathlessly, as she always did. Seeing her made my heart clench, as it always did, after a long day apart. Our eyes locked, and she came over and leaned in. I tilted my head up, and as our lips met ...

... I slowly became aware I was sitting on a bench near the water, looking across the bay to a distant lighthouse. I was aware of the woman sitting next to me. My body was literally vibrating from the sexual tension that we were sharing. I looked over and up at her, her wide gray eyes mesmerizing as her face filled my entire field of view.

Even though I knew that the consequences could be grave, I could no longer resist the temptation, and when she leaned in, her head tilted down, I tilted my head up so that our lips could meet ...

... I slowly became aware that I was on a dance floor, dancing with a woman my height with long brown hair back in a low ponytail. Her brown eyes were dilated to nearly black as we looked into each other's eyes. The song, 'Time After Time,' was playing, and we were dancing slowly and close, our bodies pressed together, my arms around her waist, and her arms around my neck. I flicked my glance down to her lips, asking for permission. She glanced down at my lips, granting permission as I leaned in, and our lips met ...

... I slowly became aware that I was standing before a group of people. I was thrilled and nervous at the same time. I was so proud of my accomplishments, and I was glad that they were being recognized. I knew she was in the audience, and I knew how proud she was of me. I was smiling so widely, thinking about how much I loved her. This ceremony was for her as much as it was for me.

I turned and faced a tall black man in uniform, eagles on his shoulders. He was smiling, and I knew he was happy for me. We raised our right hands as he said, "I, state your name, do solemnly swear ..."

... I slowly became aware that I was driving down a snow-covered street, the snow coming down so hard I could barely see where I was going. I finally found the apartment I was heading for. I found a parking spot and quickly parked my car. After gathering my bag, I got out of the rental, trudged up to the door, and rang the doorbell, anxious to be inside with her.

The door flew open, and she was standing there. She looked so lovely that my heart ached. A smile came over my face, so wide that I thought my face would split. She smiled just as widely as she stepped back so I could enter. She closed the door after taking my bag, and I shrugged off my coat. I turned to her, and we ...

... I slowly became aware that I was driving on a dirt road, approaching the chalet where we would spend the week. I was so looking forward to being there with them. I took a quick peek over to my right, and my heart thrilled, as always, when I saw her in profile. Her brown hair hanging down to her shoulders bounced and swayed as the wheels hit potholes and ruts. Before I turned my eyes back to the road, she turned and caught me looking at her, eliciting a broad smile from her as her expressive brown eyes pulled me in.

I managed to get my eyes back on the road just as we came to the turn. We pulled into the driveway that ran up next to the chalet. Another car was already there, and I knew they were already there. We exited the car just as the chalet door opened, and two women stepped out. The woman in front was tall and had sandy blonde hair back in a French braid and gray eyes. The other woman was shorter but still taller than me and had auburn hair in a pixie cut and green eyes. They both smiled widely, and my breath caught as we ...

***

... "I promise I'll wait forever for you, my love ...."

... I started into awareness, the words ringing in my ears. "Who's saying that?" I wondered. I opened my eyes, and I was sitting at a table in a restaurant. I looked around, and the other tables and booths were occupied. Again, I could hear the low murmur of conversation but couldn't make out any words.

As before, when I examined the other people around me, their features were blurred enough that I couldn't make out their faces, but I was vaguely aware that they somehow looked familiar. I looked to my left, and the big window was still there. I still couldn't see anything outside it. However, instead of pitch black, it was now a dark gray, as though there was some light outside. However, it wasn't bright enough to cut through the fog or whatever was blocking my view. The details of my surroundings were slightly blurred. I couldn't quite make out the décor or whether the floor was hardwood or carpeted.

I looked down at myself and realized I wore a tee with a pocket over my left breast and shorts. Again, I wondered, "Who am I? Where am I?"

"Interesting," a soft voice intoned above and behind me to the right.

This time, the speaker didn't scare me. I turned to look for the source of the voice.

"I'm sorry I startled you before," the person softly said as they entered my field of view. "I didn't realize how sensitive your awareness was."

I saw a person I assumed was male, although their features kept blurring and shifting enough that it was just a guess. I couldn't make out enough to recognize them. "I'll just assume it's a 'he' for now," I thought.

I asked, "How come you're all blurred? Why can't I see who you are?"

"The short answer is because you're not ready to see me," he said after a short pause while he came around and sat across from me.

"What do you mean?" I asked. "Is that why I can't make out who all the other people around me are?"

"Just as I figured, you really won't settle for less than the long answer," he said.

"Yes," I replied, intrigued by what this person would say.

"So, do you know where you are?" he asked.

"No," I replied, "although I feel this place is familiar to me."

"Interesting," he mused. "Now, a more important question," he said. He leaned in and asked, "Do you know who you are?"

"No," I whispered as I looked down at my hands, clenched together in my lap. I looked up and asked, "Why can't I remember who I am?"

"I'm afraid the same answer applies; you're not ready to remember who you are," he said gently.

"When will I be ready?" I asked, afraid that I already knew the answer.

"Only you can determine that," he said.

"How? Why? What?" I shotgunned out, not really sure what question to ask him.

He shook his head, communicating that I still was not asking the right questions. In desperation, I asked, "Who are you?"

"I'm your guide. My purpose is to guide you to understand what has happened to you," he answered.

Feeling a glimmer of hope, I asked, "What did happen to me?" Before he could answer, I added, "And if you say I'm not ready to know that, I'll ... I'll ..." I trailed off, realizing that I didn't know what I'd do.

I heard a chuckle from him as he said, "You're starting to catch on. I can't tell you what happened to you. I can ask you questions that could lead you to find the answer to that question for yourself. Are you willing to try?"

"Yes," I said.

"When you first became aware you were here, and we'll worry about where 'here' is later, what was your first thought?" he asked gently.

I thought about it, trying to sort out what were memories and what I actually experienced. Eventually, I said, "I remember that I was relieved that the pain was gone."