What it Takes Pt. 03

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"What the... fuck do you want?" This time she was pleading. There was not enough strength for exclamation.

"Told you, but I assume you want me to be less cryptic. Let's just say the first has been proven. Don't know if this place got to you or if this might work over there. Nah... they recognized me even when I turned into a woman."

His last words made the girl have an internal thought of "Oh shit." as Eva slowly turned back to see the man. A finger snap made red mist coalesce into a long, burgundy coat while his left hand was now holding a lit cigarette from which he pulled.

"Yep!" He said with a grin. "Didn't even recognize me."

"I... I..."

"Relax. Yeah, you've had a long day. I know. I saw it." Another finger snap as something materialized to her right. Table and chairs. "Come on, sit down. I'm not mad. On my part of the blame, was messing with you. Okay, that's done."

Perhaps her punishment for this outburst was to not have her energy restored, instead having to gather the strength to get up on that chair as the deity known as the Outsider sat opposite of her. And he even produced a nice pair of beers for them to relax with, ashtray for her renewed cigarette. Still she felt like there was trouble.

"I'm never gonna live this down."

"Hey, there were times when this was something to be awaited eagerly. Now I come to visit and you got a bit pushed down. But I get it. Place is a fucking shithole. Why I left."

It took strength to look him in the eye. Mostly because she had not been her best.

"Why are you here? And why... do you bother? You knew better than us how this place was like. It's much better over there. Still can't believe you LIVED here. How could you not go insane?"

"Well, in order... let's just say I have a concern for something that involves you. Yes, you... and if you wonder why I am keeping secrets despite you having a bad day... if I told you, it would disrupt that. Like telling you exam results." A pause as the man took a drag."I did mean those words said before. I believe there is hope for these people. Yes, it is fucking difficult to see, but there is. After all, a good chunk of those visitors are integrating nicely." One more pull. "And I am pretty sure I did go insane. Arguably."

Eva started to understand the man a deal better. For now, this world might have some value to his faithful to see how such a figure emerges. Equally such faithful might want to bomb the shit out of this place.

"Feels like you shouldn't have bothered. Look at this... we gave them everything, you sorted out their worst and... it's like they don't want to change."

"Nobody wants to change. It is difficult. But things got a bit better. Unfortunately there are a lot of remaining incentives for people to be assholes. That's the problem. Even if you sort them out, there are reasons for good people to do this. At first they were afraid, but give them a bit of time to see the coast is clear and..."

"Right back at it. Why we started doing this." Her efforts were indeed trying to summon the man's actions.

In the end, she decided to take the offered beer with a good smoke to go. Looking at him again, the man clearly had a lot she was now feeling. A theory might form that he wanted them to see why he did all this. A movie might have been better, but living here was an experience beyond anything.

"Are we even doing anything? Feels like every time I smash someone's face in, two people want to avenge them... or at least get more violent so they don't get the same treatment."

"We are. It might not look like it, but it is slightly better than before. My actions have disrupted some well entrenched people that pulled the big strings. There is hesitancy even now. When that coat appears, people remember it and fear it. Why it's getting so damn hard to buy one."

"Until we started to supply them." A smirk. "Why can't you just fix everything here?"

"Because it's not that simple."

"Bullshit! It is simple. You can do just about anything!" Eva now had enough energy to shout. Nobody noticed them.

"Ah, yes... that. If I change everything... it does not matter. Plus, doing that... takes something out of you."

"Can you speak plainly? I'm fucking tired. And fucked."

"Ah, right... the women. Do you want your message erased and its memory or do you want the ambulance to find nothing?"

Either she insisted on their pain to exist, or the girl decided to spare the two.

"Just the message. Yeah, I fucked up." Beat. "Thanks."

"You are welcome. And I really mean that. If I just make it all good with a wave of a hand... doesn't matter. You guys didn't just succeed because I willed it. You worked for it. Gotta do it the same way here or it has no value."

"But we're working and it's doing nothing! There's millions of guys out there who will just die alone because women are crap, there's people who will be abused by companies because that's how they get their money... wish we just conquered the place! Why couldn't the guy pick that?! And why are there so many assholes left?!"

"Well, I will not reveal who did it, but there were two reasons. Their reasoning was that war would just make people double down and hold onto this, even to zealotry. That they'd fiercely protect earth culture even if it's shit because they were defending their home."

James spoke in the dim light of street lamps. He was certainly not mad. In his opinion, those girls could be deleted. But they were given a chance. They failed. Now he could only hope others got the message. But so it was with cycles of violence.

"And the second is that the attempt was to try and let some people redeem themselves. That's what we do. We give people a chance. Some got the message, some... are fucking retarded. There's been FIFTY new ascended since last year. All turning into assholes."

"Well, they failed. Now come and just do them all in."

"Feels like I would just have to constantly do it. Someone dies, another person becomes an asshole in their stead. I fucking hate this world." Eva was about to speak and he continued. "I don't mean just this planet. Let's just say I have recently found out something that put me off."

"Well, let's just give up and go home."

"Nah, we're not gonna get away from it there. And... there is one value to these people that you need to learn. Well, you learned it but not really internalized it."

"What? They can't chase us over."

"No, but the thing that is making them do this is even with us. Even if I've been keeping it at bay."

"You mean Chaos?" That was their consideration of the evil in the world. Chaos. Entropy, the endless pain of the universe. The great destroyer that did shit just for giggles.

"Others might call him God. But, big conversation for later when you might see it better."

"Why the fuck not now?! Help me understand what the fuck is wrong with this place!"

"Because you have a very suicidal boyfriend at home who feels quite bad for being unable to protect you."

She had barely considered how Jack felt about this. Woman felt like slapping herself. So she did.

"Stupid! I need to..."

"Done." Fingers were snapped.

Now she was standing before their doorway.

*

It was not even locked. He forgot to do that. Eva came in far more rushed, looking for him and expecting something terrible. Finding the man in clearly bad shape on that balcony was both a relief and call to action as she came in... also forgetting to remove her footwear.

"Please tell me you didn't do something terrible!" Said the one who did something terrible.

Jack was more stunned to have the girl come to him. It was way past midnight and he barely moved. His worries were more of what she felt. And it looked like the girl was worried for him.

"Uh... other than beating myself up over what happened... no."

He got engulfed in a very desperate hug that pulled him back from the metaphorical edge. Then she slapped his back.

"Don't! Couldn't fucking do anything and that's not your fault!"

"Still feels like shit that I had to leave you there."

"And it's not your fault! You did the best you could."

Eva began to cry. This just kept happening. Even she felt so helpless far too often. Place made one feel insignificant. Her cries made the man hold her tighter, trying to redeem for his lack of action. Even made him cry as this situation was just bad all around. This is what this place does.

"Let's leave. Just go away from all this. I don't want to be unable to help you like that."

"I fucking should!" A sigh. "Might even take the shame... think they could understand after me going at length on the fucking trauma this planet is."

They would. Everything was secondary to their goodwill. In the end, that was the point. They did not just throw away people. But hope existed. BARELY.

"Leave tomorrow if we still feel like it?" She dared to ask.

"I'd rather we make the call now, but..." A sigh. "I'm tired. Worst thing is those girls will still pull bullshit like that." Eva also liked when her man got a bit angry.

"They're not gonna do anything like that ever again." She said decisively.

Her tone put the man on guard.

"I... don't think you achieved that with conversation."

A long pause.

"Would you hate me for something I did? Something that didn't hurt you, but others."

"Don't think I can hate you, but it depends on what others." He was still holding the girl. Both of them needed a cooldown hug.

"Think you need to sit down."

"In a bit."

That hug was needed for a while longer before they could separate with puffy cheeks and sad smiles. A kiss given to show nothing had broken between them. Same trust, same support... same girl. It was their sad meeting of lips to brace against Chaos.

To make their late night talk more bearable and TRY to make this shitty day better... they finally broke out that pack of astorian coffee. The scent of the grounds was delightful in its strength. Eva had just a comment about treatments to get rid of sugar addiction to make the scene easier before the cups were poured and they retreated to the balcony for a first sip of the good stuff.

It was no gargle blaster, but it was strong and GOOD, a fine taste to sink in and birth men who could really enjoy the flavor of coffee. The girl had a taste of home while Jack could tangibly experience something done with proper care for his consumption. It managed to help their mood greatly. Finally were the cigarettes lit for the subject to be approached.

"Regarding the girls... I took care of them. No, they're not dead... but let's just say they will never pull that again." Beat. "Unless you really want to know the details."

"Kind of afraid to ask. But you said you hurt them."

"Yeah... once they fucked off I followed them and... broke a lot of things. Remember my implants? Yeah, they can do a lot. They're gonna have a hard time talking, walking or having guys look at them without disgust. Wrecked their faces." A pause. "Do you hate me?"

"No! I... look, those were bad people. I'm kinda glad you don't just kill without concern. Just wish I could have stood up to them... without being in jail forever."

"Yeah, really hate that." A pause. "This is not the first time. I've... been doing this a lot. Like... going out, looking for people that got away and... giving them punishment. Think you heard about it on the news."

How could he fucking not? Every time he might see the news channel it was either aliens or murders. Occasionally politics. Well, they were vague about the people walking afterwards because murderers sounds worse.

"That... how... what?" It was indeed intimidating to acknowledge that his girlfriend was guilty of MANY assaults.

"Yeah, just... that. That doesn't mean I'd do anything like that to you or others. No, far from it. So, you're safe. Really. It lets me protect you back. Won't let people like that hurt you."

A thought was forming. The boy wanted to voice it simply because it might cut the tension in the air. Had to or else this could get worse. But Eva protecting him was comforting.

"Are you saying that my girlfriend is practically BATMAN?!"

That made her laugh and Jack could not help but follow with a chuckle. Now she was missing only a lot of money and a fast car. The tension was dropping.

"Not the intent, but I guess. And... I'm gonna keep doing it. Go out sometimes at night not to give good treats to good people but punishment for bad ones. And I have everything covered."

"Part of me wants to help but I have no idea how. Do... the other guys know?"

"Oh, they do. Tom helps with gathering the info on the guys. Usually I drop off a folder to show why these people got beat up in the night. Last week I did this one guy who poisoned dogs of people to rob them."

"Okay, that one is... ugh. Fucking hell. Okay, no hate... please keep doing that."

Only that coffee and their much needed nicotine was helping the moment stay pleasant. The boy considered the situation. In the end, he could approve.

"So... we still good despite that?" The girl asked.

"Just don't want you getting hurt, but... yeah, guess it needs to be done." A long pause. "Uh... you're not gonna beat up my boss or such people... right?"

"Nah, they did not exactly do violent stuff, but for those there is something else. Humiliations of other kinds. Destroy records to show them owning things, steal money." Beat. "How much cash do you think they owe you?"

"Honestly, they could have done better, so... my salary for a year?"

"Triple that. I'll see if Tom can help."

And that made her consider an option they had been blind to in such grief.

*

She was back home. The vistas of her old home greeted the girl with their well-designed arcologies, the many shuttles flying overhead, the mass of mixed people she could inherently trust. Her hand grasped Jack's as they walked through this place in bliss.

Of course, Eva was not really there. It was a dream. A desperate dream for such an idea. They had settled in to sleep as this came upon her almost immediately. Nothing but good people around for them to feel safe with as the woman showed the sights... the monuments, the infrastructure and the occasional shameless public copulation. Far more such displays in her dream. It was like walking through a parade of orgies.

"And we have so much more than this to see!" She chirped out.

They slid from one pleasure to the other, from one delight to one more and from one embrace to plenty of others. It felt like hours, possibly days but also minutes. A rush of enjoyments to ease her mind, give hope and something to keep fighting for.

But then she started to see THEM. The black figures. Just person-shaped clouds of dark myst. Subtle at first, just a flash of shadow in the crowds to be there once in a while. Then it was a distant detail to be observed for a longer time. Then there were more. A lot more. The crowds had more and more black to them, those eyeless faces looking towards the girl. And she felt violated.

"Not even here we can get away from them." Jack said to her.

"They're gonna be taken care of."

"Really? This place simply gives far less incentive for that to come out, far fewer opportunities for the darkness to emerge. But it's there. Look... nobody else notices them."

True, this time they were not acting out, but Eva felt like she was being stalked.

"They're waiting for their chance." She summarized.

"Waiting, watching, planning, hiding. One day they will destroy this place. It is nothing before their eternal existence. Evil always finds a way."

"No way! James protects us."

"You heard him. He wants you to work for it. He lets you fight your own battles. Now you can see them and stop them. Are you gonna disappoint him and run away?"

It would break both the tenets of family to a stern disapproval from everyone. Maybe no one would know, not even him... but she'd know.

"But I want them to know that these people are bad. They look just like everyone else once they are gone."

"Easy enough. Provoke them. Draw that darkness out. Destroy it. Show them what you fight. Let their inner soul mark the outside."

She could feel something stirring inside. Her left hand came up to grasp at the air towards one of the figures. A squeeze and it roared, everyone around it looking out in shock, the normal people in fear of the evil, the wicked in recoil of being found out. Eva's right hand now grasped something. It was that knife. A good enough tool for this.

The girl surged forward through the crowd to strike at the darkness. One stab and it was done, but this time the body left behind continued to be shadow. They saw it for what it was before it fully faded away. The people looked grateful, the evil was angry. Another grasp to call one out in judgment. It raged with inhuman sounds before she pushed forward to deal with it again.

One by one... there were those to show themselves even before she noticed. To try and prevent this with only a thin excuse for "stopping the madwoman". Something else came in her sight. She noticed just a few of the normal people turning dark just by their own choice. They joined the grand group of those to try and stop her. They too would get the blade. And another... and another.

Darkness surrounded her. This was her world... her home. Her bastion against this nightmare that awaited her waking mind. And they were here, wanting to take that away. How dare they? Eva had nothing but violence to give to these people. It was the only authority they recognized. Their last resort when all other aspects of it failed them. Just like the people she hunted... they had no qualities for people to follow them, so they used force. And now she was giving it to them back, the cowards crying in outrage for their own means being used by another. It was THEIR way only and none else may use it.

Perhaps the darkness believed it had a monopoly on force, on authority, on enforcement of the way things were to be done. That all who were competition to their schemes had to be destroyed by it and none had a right to use it back. That they ruled this world and every world there is with callous death given to all who disagree. The way of conquerors and nightmare regimes.

"Not one fucking more!" She cried out.

Only a few months were needed to see what her world has shielded her from all this time. Of what the god had pushed away from their heart. But something else was creeping in. She was stronger now... more fierce. He had been keeping this from them, turning an empire of people into sheep who could not fight by themselves. The man wanted no competition, why he was destroying all those others. Was that it?

A bloody streak was carved on her dreamscape where this eternal darkness was pushed away. Always more. But she would not let her home be defiled. This... THING.... Will not win.

"You can do more. You can destroy all of them. Show the outsider what it REALLY means to protect a people."

"I want to do more!"

"Then let go. Of concern and care for these things that torment you. They are the enemy. No mercy for enemies."

"No mercy at all." She echoed the words.

"Why bother letting them live when all it will do is make them double down on their path? Kill them all. Those women, those murderers you so mercifully leave alive... that over the top justification of your actions... you know what they did. It is the others' failing to not notice it."

So much time and this world has bent the knee to evil. They have allowed hopelessness to spread by those who wished no competition to their agendas. And they wanted to do the same to her home.

"Show the next one the consequences of their actions." The boy said to her.

Eva would wake with both a calmer and a more enraged mind. In her grasp was the boy to inspire her in dreams. A tighter hold and a kiss given to the slumbering Jack before she cuddled in his embrace.