What it Takes Pt. 03

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"I... how?"

"He said that time does not go the same way between worlds. Back then, we were still separate. That he only brought us here a while ago. So I could stay for a long time. And I still enjoyed it."

"It actually looks like you barely had anything to enjoy."

"On the contrary. There are many things I lost when we got rich. We could no longer go out as we used to... when we were nobodies and escaping away somewhere in a break. I could go out there and be a nobody. Until I wasn't. I met some people, got very close and soon was welcomed in their community. And one day when they had a meeting there was a common agreement that I should be their new caretaker. I knew nothing of it... and yet I did well."

"I think... it might have been from how you were with your husband." There was more bravery in his words. "You were very caring and supportive and they saw that."

Sophie had a big smile for the man. She felt flattered in a way few could manage now.

"You think money is what leads to happiness... when you can afford everything you want and no longer have to worry about living. Yes, it is indeed troubling to not be able to pay for things you need. But there is so much we sacrificed for them. Our time, our safety, our trust, our society. I was poor there and yet I had all I needed, I was a nobody yet people appreciated my presence. I did not want to have sex and everyone respected it. They are not some sex crazed freaks. I wanted to never leave."

"But... it sounds like you did."

"Not by choice. I can still remember my last day. It felt so inconsequential. Another visit to some of my community, another walk around the plazas of New Astoria. Just another happy day. And then I went to sleep and woke up back here. I thought it a nightmare, trying to pull myself awake..."

Jack knew just how bad it was for Eva after having her life there. Though even for this woman it must have been harsh.

"That... had to have been terrible. Sorry to hear."

"I screamed James's name for close to an hour. In the end I had to just... accept it. I was back here and it looked like that empire would stay in my memories. That place where people cooperate, where they trust each other and help each other. And then I was home and looked out the window into this world, suddenly realizing the difference." A pause. "I was disgusted."

"You must have been over the moon when they arrived."

"After it... I went to several psychologists telling them of my 'dream' and trying to see if I was sane. Nothing wrong with me. At best they thought it was some desire inside me for more. But when I saw that Tan woman... one like the many I have seen... I cried. So hard. I wished so deeply to be chosen for the journey. I would have given everything I had for it. I was not."

"Why don't you ask now? I'm sure they'd understand."

A sad smile. Clearly she did.

"Because that was then and this was now. I had a long moment to think since then. I wanted to just throw away all I had here... John would understand. He'd have given it all for me. But then... I looked again to where we were. They were trying to help and our people were just willing to continue being rat bastards. It was running away. I called out for the deity and finally he heard me... after I saw what he did to all our worst."

"How... is he? Like... as a person?"

"James is quite the nice man. Troubled so much deep inside, but the kind of trouble to make him want it no more for no one ever. He was deeply apologetic for not hearing me before... for being unable to reach beyond his world more than in those small grasps before SOMETHING dragged us back. I understand there are more like him who are not pleasant people.The man said he would start working on that. I had an open invitation to go back, the man ready to beam me away and give me a penthouse right next to the grand overseer." Beat. "But I refused."

"WHY?!" He could just not understand it.

"Because I saw just how bad we were compared to that world. How much better we could be. And I asked to stay and help him make it better. And soon enough... with his help... I heard from the new guests." She had a smug grin on her. "And now I am willing to spend all of John's empire to make that vision even a step closer. He would approve. He would cheer me on from wherever he is. And it has made me even happier than just leaving." The grin stayed with her. "I took to their ways. Defiance is indeed satisfying when done with reason."

"You're upset at everything wrong with the world as well, right?"

"Sounds hypocritical coming from one like me, closer to the top. But I am. Because I don't care for it. My life was when we had nothing but each other, the times when men were gentlemen and women were still ladies. The times when people had community and safety. Times before this degeneracy we have ongoing." There was righteous anger in there. "I want it back."

The man shared her smile. This was a caring person and he felt it.

"Apologies." She continued. "We were here to sort of make you feel better... and me to get your measure, but it looks like we did the opposite."

"No apologies needed. As the great Iroh said... sometimes the best way to help yourself is to help another."

"What a wise man. Philosopher?"

"Actually he was this cool uncle from a cartoon."

Sophie gave a chuckle. Wisdom came from many places.

"Well, you seem like a good enough young man and I am starting to care for you even if it is to help Eva, but I think it's more because you are the kind we want around here. So you have my vote."

"And I feel better that it's not just the guys down low wanting change." The rich always felt so far away to Jack.

"Do you think we're the ones really free? We're chained up in this place just like you. Doesn't matter if we're rich or poor, it has its claws in us all. Sometimes those up high have a much harder life than you. Consider yourself lucky that you don't have to fear ANYONE trying to get your money. Women might throw themselves at you, but..."

"Yeah, yeah... miraculously they have a baby nine months later despite me wearing a condom and somehow no paternity test is accepted and I have to fork over five million dollars."

"Or if she's better placed you might get marriage slipped on you before suddenly you get divorced a year later and she runs back to her family with half your stuff."

"Ugh! Women."

"Women." Said the woman in the room eagerly. Sophie was just as disgusted in her gender weaponizing their features. Jack only realized what he said a bit later and found her even more trustworthy.

"I... think we might talk again if I need help. So many times I would have needed it. I assume you would go to great lengths to protect me of a rape allegation."

"Best lawyers you can get. Best judges sometimes. If money has one value it is to let me provide for my family."

"I'll be sure to call."

He would be given the prepared link... which Eva and Tom would help him get acquainted to later. Used for "work" but also to let them have private conversations. Equally he could use it for whatever he wanted. For now the man just learned how to make it very inconspicuous before carefully putting it in his pocket.

For once in a long time he started to feel... safe. With people he could rely on. He had a family and a great girlfriend. He had several other women to eagerly have sex with and no issues from that. He had friends and more. He had a community even if there was a bit more time to officially join. Their feelings told it as it was. And that was all that mattered.

The black cab would drive him over to his date.