All Comments on 'What The Heart Wants'

by DCCoffeeman

Sort by:
  • 29 Comments
Smiffy69Smiffy69about 1 year ago

The transplanted heart was not a surprise- saw it coming. Emily’s travails were a surprise though. A nice one, I. A sucker for happy endings.

The only criticism I have is your knowledge of British things. We do not have “vice ministers”, unless it’s some politician caught with his pants down! One or two other minor things but a good story overall. Thankyou.

rockytop2krockytop2kabout 1 year ago

What an amazing love story! Definitely brought tears to my old eyes!

sdc97230sdc97230about 1 year ago
Malcom...what?

He says it's his company and tries to torpedo the transition. Why did he sell the company in the first place? Was it a hostile takeover that a board outvoted him to approve? Then he tries to have David and and his own daughter killed. Because he's butthurt over losing "his company?" Or was there something more sinister he was trying to cover up, like selling restricted tech to the Russians? The lack of explanation for his behavior makes the character a distraction from the main plot of the love story, like an unused Chekov's gun that the audience keeps expecting to get fired.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 1 year ago

Nice story. However, in the UK we have Ministers of State and junior ministers. We do not have vice ministers.

olddave51olddave51about 1 year ago

Quite a love story.

Just one thing :

"Oh, grandpa, I just wish dad could be here."

"I know, baby, but you know he's watching you from above. I'm sure he and Grandma Emily are enjoying all this..."

Did Caitlin husband die?

oldsage_1oldsage_1about 1 year ago

Great Love Story! I couldn't put it down.

Cheers

SAGE

OlgreyfoxOlgreyfoxabout 1 year ago

Damn DCC you had me by my heart from the first page! I am an old fart romantic (76yr) and LOVED your tale of love and caring. Just what this old geezer needed to lift me out of the Winter doldrums I have been suffering. I was one of the blessed ones in my marriage of 45 yrs to the most wonderful wife. We found out that it was rather easy to keep the romance alive and enjoy each other. The big "C" took my wife at to early in our life, we had so much planned for our ongoing future. Just saying all this because I truly know love. Once again thanks for a GREAT romantic story. KUDOS

BlueFox007BlueFox007about 1 year ago

What a wonderful story. Thank you for sharing. Having practiced medicine for 55 years and with three physician daughters, I can assure the readers that these things actually happen. Well done DCCoffeeman. I’m now going to share this with my wife and lover >60 years.

5Stars

AccelarVesterAccelarVesterabout 1 year ago

What a wonderful tail of love, lost, and love found again.

Thank you. 5*

DINGDONG33DINGDONG33about 1 year ago

Super Story of life of a family and the progress through life. Keep up the great writing.

establishedestablishedabout 1 year ago

Wonderful love story!

AnonymousAnonymousabout 1 year ago

Great story had to keep reading even though I should be doing something else. A little confusing at the end but with a little thought I figured it out. THANKS

AnonymousAnonymousabout 1 year ago

They got married before discussing whether or not they were going to have kids? Really??

AnotherChapterAnotherChapterabout 1 year ago

Warm hearted tale that made an enjoyable read. I felt the ending got a bit convoluted and not easy to follow, but with a bit of concentration it sorted itself out! One was of course led to believe that Fiona had succumbed during the birth of Jocelyn, which added a nice bit of drama to the ending. Nicely done!

AnonymousAnonymousabout 1 year ago

I would give you 10 stars if I could.. Great job. 💚💚💚

rbloch66rbloch66about 1 year ago

I’d have been sorely pissed if you had killed off Fiona. Great story.

Fireguy1956Fireguy195612 months ago

What a truly wonderful story. Worth of 10 stars. I have enjoyed reading all of your stories. You are a wonderful writer and story teller!

OvercriticalOvercritical10 months ago

I made it through page 3 when the poor plot making and the stilted writing and the utter nonsense of the tale hit me. End of story, end of this author. 2*

Ravey19Ravey199 months ago

Wonderful story with some interesting areas, eg. bringing in Scotland, and, yes, there was an issue with a deputy or junior minister being called Vice but that's quite minor really. So pleased Fiona survived the birth of their child but wasn't sure she was there at the end as that bit was a little disjointed.

Thought the issue of her being a heart transplant recipient would have been found out earlier as I believe they are on considerable amount of anti rejection medicines for live, but am not completely sure. Maybe it depends on the otgan(s).

All told, a commendable love story.

SatyrDickSatyrDick8 months ago

[01.09.23]

A Beautiful Story, Beautifully Written!

11/10!!!!!

01Timber6701Timber678 months ago

Great story but also a roller coaster ride,,, it was touch and go for me when Fiona was in critical condition, I’m glad that you wrote that she pulled through,,, yet I don’t understand the ending as to where she is for the granddaughter wedding,,, he’s walking her down the aisle yet where are her mom and aunts at ???? And where is Fiona ???

5⭐️ until the last part that I said ,,, then it went 4⭐️

WhoGivesAShitWhoGivesAShit8 months ago

Excellent story, and beautifully written. The hospital scenes were almost tearjerkers, the waiting room at Caitlin’s birth, then as Caitlin was in labor, provoked a strong sense that Fiona had died. Outstanding job of drawing out emotions. The unlikeliness of such a situation happening when the protagonists lived nearly half a world apart is mind boggling, but also adds to the charm. Including how Caitlin inherited Fiona’s heart issue was a very good decision, although I can’t imagine how old Dr Anderson was by then. Be proud of this story, thanks for sharing.

AnonymousAnonymous6 months ago

I was very apprehensive when it was revealed they had to spend so much time apart; that's never good. And this Malcolm guy I guess just turned out to be batshit crazy, putting a hit out on his own daughter and her fiancé. Seems legit.

Props for using "eejit" as an insult (slang for idiot/moron). Scottish women, especially those fiery red heads, are the bees knees.

Started to get a bit worried there at the end when Fiona had to be taken into hospital because her heart was under stress due to the pregnancy. I thought this might be one of those tragic endings but hoped it wouldn't be. You made it look like she had died. I was crying before it become clear it was just a misdirection. Well played :)

This was a beautiful story of tragedy and healing again through love. It's a real shame how he lost Emily (it just shows the true fragility of life; one moment everything is fine, but the next it's not). Thankfully he was able to find love again through Fiona and have a wonderful life with her.

WhoGivesAShitWhoGivesAShit4 months ago

Second time reading this one. Still very enjoyable. Just one detail bothers me: why would a medical team allow a heart transplant patient to experience labor? I’ve known, and known of, a number of women whose childbirths ended with scheduled C-section. One was after her first went past-due and ultimately stillborn - she subsequently had 3 children all planned caesarean, all 2-3 weeks before due. I also wonder how ant-rejection meds affect a fetus.

AnonymousAnonymous2 months ago

First of all I'm NOT snarking or sniping, just throwing out a bit of information...a fairish amount of cardiac function is regulated by the vagus nerve which is severed during transplant and the heart is left to its own devices. On its own it will normally beat at 60 to 100 times per minute. With no vegus nerve that's all it can do and has no way to compensate for any extra load (such as labor). Kind of like trying to pull a trailer with only 800 rpm available...just not going to happen. Hope this helped. FF/EMT-P retired

rbloch66rbloch66about 1 month ago

Great story, but you neglected to mention Fiona in the last scene. That seems like a fairly significant oversight.

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous
userDCCoffeeman@DCCoffeeman
All the stories I write are pure fiction, with the ideas coming from the deep recesses of my mind. I sometimes use real places and businesses, but I don't endorse any of them -- they are simply used in the story. I hope you enjoy what you read!

SIMILAR Stories