What The Heart Wants

Story Info
Can David move on after his wife's tragedy?
36.9k words
4.8
18.7k
71
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

What The Heart Wants

This story includes several characters undergoing several different medical procedures. I am not a doctor so I have no idea how close (or far away) I am from the reality of these procedures. They are here simply to help the story along, so please keep that in mind. As always, votes and constructive comments are welcome. Thanks for reading...

David Pierce was sitting on a pool lounger, lost in thought. His twin daughters were laughing and splashing each other and their friends as they enjoyed time at home and away from college for their winter break. Both had turned 21 and were celebrating with a pool party on this unseasonably warm day. As David watched his girls, he marveled at how much they looked like their mother at the same age. Then he sighed - their mother had died in a tragic accident several years earlier, and he still hadn't gotten over it.

David and Emily had planned their vacation for years. Emily's roots were in Scotland, and she still had family living there. So when the girls were old enough to mostly take care of themselves (under the watchful eyes of their next door neighbor), David and Emily took off for Scotland for a month, travelling the country, visiting relatives, and enjoying time alone.

The end of their vacation had them in Edinburgh, checking out all the sights and sounds of the ancient city. On one of their last days they had lunch in a pub in the Grassmarket area and were strolling down the street when two teen-aged boys bolted from a store they had just robbed and knocked into David and Emily. David was fine, but the force of their actions knocked Emily off her feet, and she hit her head on the pavement. There was a sickening thud, and then a small pool of blood began to puddle under her head. A passerby called for the emergency services; luckily an ambulance was nearby. Loading her onto a gurney and into the ambulance, Emily tried to speak to David, but could only blink her eyes, squeeze his hand, and give him a small smile.

Three hours later, David was visited by a doctor who came out to fill him in on what was happening. He was surprised to hear an American accent as she spoke.

"Mr. Pierce, I'm Doctor Anderson, and I've been helping with your wife."

"Hi. An American doctor in Scotland? Not what I would've expected."

"I'm sure. I'm here to teach and help with emergency services, surgeries, and transplants. Has anyone been out to speak with you yet?"

"Not for a while, so hopefully you can fill me in on Emily's condition. How is she doing?"

"Truthfully? Not well. She hit her head hard on the pavement, and that caused all sorts of problems with her brain. Right now we have her on a ventilator, keeping her alive, as she can't breathe on her own."

David looked at the doctor, and seeing the anguish on her face, almost expected what was coming next.

"David, this is very difficult for me to say, but I feel I need to do this now and be straight forward with you. Emily's brain functions are slowly shutting down. I know this is difficult to hear, but I don't think she'll make it through the night."

The doctor paused, and then continued, but with a catch in her voice.

"Have you every discussed what would happen if one of you passed away in terms of organ donation?"

Hearing that, David's eyes got wide and his breathing became labored. Organ donation? Was Emily going to die?

"Is she that bad, doctor? Really?"

"Unfortunately, yes. There's always the possibility of recovery, but if it doesn't happen in the next few hours, it most likely won't happen. I'm sorry."

David took a moment to catch his breath and think. They had never seriously discussed things like this, but in passing moments had talked briefly about it. Both were under no illusions - if they were going to die, why bury organs that could potentially save others.

"What organs of Emily's can be harvested to help?"

"Off the top of my head, I can think of several - her heart, kidneys, and liver to be sure. Possibly her corneas. It all depends on compatibility and how soon they can be transplanted into someone else. I'll get started on this right away. Thank you, David. I know this was a difficult decision for you."

"Can I be with her at the end? Please?"

"Absolutely. Stay here for now, and I'll get a nurse to tell you where to wait. Please know I'll do everything in my power to help her; but if she doesn't make it, remember that she'll be helping several other people to live. Thank you again."

Hours later it was time. After visits from the transplant coordinator, Dr. Anderson, and several nurses, David was ushered into an operating theatre where Emily was hooked up to several machines, including a ventilator. He could see that her vital signs were nearly non-existent, and steeled himself for the end. He nodded to Dr. Anderson, and she shut the ventilator off. Emily's body, not knowing any better, still breathed for several moments - and then stopped. Kissing his wife one last time, David left the room with one of the hospital administrators, leaving the doctors and nurses to do what they needed to do.

Moving to an office, David was met by a representative from the U.S. Embassy who was there to help him make arrangements for transporting Emily home. After several calls to the airline and a funeral home, all was set. All David needed to do was tell his daughters their mother was dead - a phone call he was dreading.

He first called their neighbor, Jane, told her what happened and asked her to go to the house to be there when he called his girls. Several minutes later, he was on the phone again.

"Hi dad. What's up? How's the vacation going?"

"Hi girls. Listen, I have something important to say, and it's probably the hardest thing I've ever had to tell anyone."

"Oh come on dad, what could be so hard?"

Gathering his wits and his voice, David continued.

"I don't know any other way to say this, so I'm just going to be straight with both of you. Mom is dead. She was knocked over by someone and hit her head on the street, causing a brain aneurism. The doctors did everything they could, but in the end her brain just stopped working. I'm so sorry to have to tell you like this, but I can't think of any other way to do it."

There was silence from the other end at first, only to be broken by cries of anguish. Their neighbor was trying to comfort the girls the best she could, but it wasn't enough... and David knew it. He waited until they had settled down before he continued.

"I'm emailing Jane my flight information; I'll be home tomorrow. She'll stay with you until I get home. Amanda, Stephanie - take care of each other. I love you both, and I'll see you tomorrow. Bye."

The next day, David watched as Emily's casket was loaded onto a plane at Edinburgh. He was accompanied by the flight's First Officer, who then escorted him onto the plane and into first class. The flight attendants were aware of his situation, and treated him with the utmost respect, only bothering him when necessary.

When the plane landed, the Captain asked all passengers to stay seated until David could be escorted off as the casket was moved from one plane to another. Landing in Phoenix, he was met at the gate by his neighbor Jane and his two daughters, who were distraught, as one might expect. They were all met by the funeral director and they watched as the casket was loaded into the hearse. And the tears flowed once again.

Finally, after several days, the funeral was over; David and the girls were alone in their home, wondering how their lives would go on without their wife and mother.

But life goes on.

It was difficult for David, being a single father with his own very successful business to run, but he did it. There were many times he felt he had no idea what to do raising twin teen-age girls. Emily was the one they went to first with any problem, and now he needed to figure out what to do. But with the help of friends and neighbors, they muddled their way though, and the girls graduated at the top of their class. They both decided to go to the same university, but with very different majors. Stephanie decided to major in Engineering while Amanda was going to be a veterinarian - and they ended up at Iowa State University. Both were thriving in their respective majors, and now, six years later, were home to enjoy their winter break with their father.

Amanda's voice broke David out of his reverie.

"Dad, are you ok?"

"Yeah, I'm fine. Just lost in a daydream."

"You were thinking about mom, weren't you? We can always tell, because you get the same faraway look on your face."

"Yes, I was. I look at you and your sister and I'm amazed at how much you look like your mom when she was the same age. And no matter how much time goes by, I still miss her every day."

"We miss her too, dad. But we love you that much more. Don't forget how great a job you did raising us after mom died. We know it wasn't easy for you, but you treated us like adults and not little kids. And look at us now."

"Yes, look at you now, all grown up. The only bad thing about you and your sister growing up is that someday you both will leave home to get on with your own lives. And the house will become very quiet without you."

"Yeah, but we're here now, and making enough noise to let the neighbors know we're home for break."

"That you are, sweetie."

A short time later, David called both his daughters over to speak with them.

"Ok, ladies, I need to take off. I'm picking someone up at the airport from the new company in Scotland and I don't want to be late. Will you be okay without me hanging around, creeping on all your friends?"

"Dad, you're not creeping on anyone. And if any of our friends thought you were, they wouldn't be here. Don't worry - we'll be fine. We are 21, after all, and are now considered adults."

"Yes you are. And I trust you both implicitly. Just remind me of the drinking rules."

Sighing together, the girls answered with a giggle in their voices.

"If anyone is too drunk to drive, even if they only have one or two drinks, they either stay here or we call Uber. If that's the case, we take their keys until you get home."

Smiling, David pulled his girls in for a hug.

"I love you both so much. You make me very proud to call you my daughters. And if you get hungry, I left a gift card from Lou Malnetti's on the kitchen island. Supper's on me."

"Thanks, dad. As much as we like the pizza in Ames, nothing beats Lou's. Have a safe drive to the airport."

"Thanks. I'm not sure how late I'll be, so I'll see you when I see you. Tell your friends I say goodbye."

After changing into something more business appropriate than shorts and a t-shirt, David made the drive down the 101, getting to Sky Harbor Airport about 45 minutes early. Grabbing the sign that said 'Fiona Shaw, Pierce Technologies', David set out for the arrivals terminal.

Soon he saw a stunning redhead walking towards him. She was tall, wearing a casual, but still business appropriate outfit. Stepping up to David, she announced that she was Fiona Shaw, and before David could introduce himself, she almost commanded him to take care of her suitcases - and stepped away towards the exit. Laughing to himself, David gathered her luggage and exited the terminal, making sure she followed.

Leaving the airport, David drove Fiona to the Executive Suites, a short-term apartment, used by businesses to house out-of-town employees.

"I was under the impression I was going to meet with Mr. Pierce today at his office. Why are we stopping here?"

"Mr. Pierce wanted you to get settled in first before meeting with you. These suites are set up for out-of-towners who are staying here for business. The kitchen is well stocked with a variety of foods - fresh, frozen, and dry goods, as well as different beverages. If there is something specific you want, let the concierge know and she will arrange to get it for you.

"There are also a number of restaurants and brew pubs in the area. The suite will have a listing of those, as well as other nearby stores. As I understand, Mr. Pierce is expecting to meet you tomorrow in his office at 9:00, and he is a stickler on appointment times. The concierge will help you get a taxi or Uber in the morning.

"Is there anything else I can help you with tonight? Other than helping with your luggage?"

"No thank you. You've been quite helpful already. I'll be sure to tell Mr. Pierce about your excellent service. Good night."

As David left, he was laughing at the thought about their meeting in the morning, and how Fiona would react. At the same time, Fiona was fuming at the slight from her new boss.

"This is just great. We get bought out by some rich American, and he can't be bothered to meet his new Scottish liaison. I'm going to give him a piece of my mind in the morning."

The next morning at 8:45, Fiona was striding up to the lobby receptionist.

"Good morning. May I help you?"

"Yes. Fiona Shaw to see Mr. Pierce. Finally."

"Yes, Ms. Shaw. Mr. Pierce is expecting you. Here is a packet of information for you, but the only thing you need right now is the ID badge. Please wear it at all times when in the building."

"An ID badge? Really? Don't people know who everyone is here? I was under the impression that this was a loosely run company."

"Yes, in some respects we are, but we still all need to wear the ID badge, mostly for security purposes. There is a lanyard to wear around you neck or a clip to wear on your waistband... your choice."

"Well, I still think this is a stupid idea, but if I must, I must. Now where will I find Mr. Pierce?"

"His office is on the 18th floor. When you exit the elevator, just walk straight ahead, and Rebecca will help you there. Welcome to Phoenix, and Pierce Technologies."

As soon as Fiona stepped away to the elevators, the receptionist picked up her phone.

"Rebecca? This is Angie downstairs. Ms. Shaw is on her way up for Mr. Pierce, and she is something else. Watch out."

Stepping off the elevator, Fiona got a sense of the laid-back atmosphere at Pierce Technologies. The dress code was very loose, with some people wearing jeans, others shorts, and others more dressed up. People greeted each other by first names, and despite a feeling of work, there was also lots of laughter coming from different areas.

"Good morning. You must be Rebecca. I'm Fiona Shaw, here to see Mr. Pierce."

"Good morning. Mr. Pierce is expecting you. But before I allow you to go any further, please put your ID badge on. Company policy, and one of the few rules that are never up for debate. Thank you. Mr. Pierce's office is the last door on the left."

Grumbling as she put her badge on, Fiona stalked her way down to the office.

"This really wasn't the welcome I was expecting. He should've met me downstairs, or at least up here. Not a good first impression, in my eyes."

As soon as Fiona stepped away, Rebecca got on the phone.

"Mr. Pierce, Ms. Shaw in on her way. Beware - her demeanor matches her red hair."

Lightly knocking on the open door, Fiona looked in to see David on the phone, dismissively waving her in. She entered the office and sat down in a huff, getting more and more angry at the way she was being treated.

Making her wait a few moments longer, David hung up his phone and turned toward her in his chair. There was a long pause as Fiona slowly realized who David was, and her embarrassment showed on her face.

"Welcome to Pierce Technologies, Ms. Shaw. I'm David Pierce. It's so very nice to meet you... again."

"Mr. Pierce, I'm so embarrassed. I didn't realize it was you meeting me yesterday. If I'd have known, I'd would have introduced myself then."

"Ms. Shaw, one of the reasons you are here is to learn what we do and how we do it so well. You need to realize that one way we are successful is to respect each and every person who works here, as well as anyone who has contact with us. That includes delivery drivers, receptionists, office workers... even limo drivers. Everyone. And if that is something I can't expect from my employees in Scotland, then perhaps I need to reevaluate my purchase."

"Mr. Pierce, please forgive me. I realize we started off on the wrong foot. Can I try again?

"Mr. Pierce, I'm Fiona Shaw, your new European liaison from Edinburgh, Scotland. I'm very happy to meet you, and anxious to be a part of this new company."

"Very nice to meet you, Ms. Shaw. Welcome to Phoenix."

Now that the ice was broken, they engaged in a pleasant conversation, touching on their backgrounds, interests, and families. Soon David got up and had Fiona join him as he stepped across the hall to another office.

"Fiona, for the next six months, this will be your office. You'll be meeting the senior staff later today, but right now I want you to meet the most important person working for Pierce Technologies."

Just then, a slightly older but very nice looking woman stepped into the office.

"Now that you're done scaring the wits out of this poor girl, is it my turn to set her straight?"

"Fiona, please meet Dee Wallace, my second in command and right hand woman. Anything that happens here, Dee knows about, usually before me. Dee, this is Fiona Shaw, from Scotland."

Later that day, Fiona met the rest of the senior staff. Most were around her age and all seemed to be truly engaged with what they were doing.

"Fiona, you're here to see why this company has been so successful and to bring what you can back to Scotland. I realize much of our success has to do with culture, both of the company and of the country. Some of what we do will easily transfer to Scotland, some will work with some tweaking, some with a major overhaul, and some won't work at all. Your job - our job - is to get things ready for the conversion. You're here for approximately six months, and at that time, we all need to be ready to go.

"You've probably heard that we are very easy going here. And in many respects that's true. It all comes from respect. I respect each and every one of my employees, and trust them to do the correct thing. I know these people; I can stop in any office and know that person's first name, the name of their significant other, their children and their interests, and anything else of importance. And they know all that about me.

"To most people, I'm David, not Mr. Pierce. It's up to you if you want to be called Fiona or Ms. Shaw, and whatever you choose, people will respect that. And that, Fiona Shaw of Edinburgh, Scotland, is what makes Pierce Technologies so successful. That, and the fact that I hire only the best of the best, makes this the company to work for. Our turnover rate over the past years hovered around 1-2%... maybe. People like working here, so they stay. And the more they stay, the less we have to train new people, which makes us more productive. And more successful. So, do you think you're up to the task?"

Fiona looked around the room and saw nothing but smiling faces; faces that sincerely wanted her to succeed.

"Yes I am, Mr. Pierce... err, David. Let's get started!"

The next weeks were filled with Fiona learning the nuts and bolts of Pierce Technologies, and why it was so successful. At first she was mostly working with Dee, getting to know who was who. Soon she was working with the rest of the senior staff, getting to know how each ran their respective department. Soon she was going to start spending time on the production floor as well, learning exactly what each piece of technology was and how it worked. And through it all, she and David worked side-by-side many days.

Soon they both realized they were becoming closer to having an actual relationship. Not the usual work-place relationship, but something more closely resembling a boyfriend-girlfriend relationship. They also both realized that they needed to keep things as professional as possible, seeing how David was Fiona's boss.