What Wicked Games We Play

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

She blushed, her eyes glancing away. "Just some shit I was working on."

"Don't play games. What are they?"

"Okay, but you can't tell okay?"

"Whatever."

"Hannah, asked me to design an engagement ring. She's gonna propose."

"Sneaky fucking bitch." I snapped.

"I swore not to tell yah. You can't say nothing."

"Yeah okay. Which one are you going with?"

"Not telling you. Fuck it's bad enough yah found out this much."

She went back to serving, and I started my own sketches. I didn't want to be ostentatious, delicate, but stated. Clean with a nice centre stone. Diamonds? Nah, everybody does diamonds... Something that would be unique...

*****

The dinner table made chaos seem peaceful. Alice couldn't shut up. She went on and on about the house. "How much do you want for it Abby?"

"I want four hundred."

She glanced at me dubiously. "The government valuation is four seven fifty?"

"Alice, I'm happy with four okay. Now how much do you need me to leave in?"

"Could you do fifty grand? We'd pay you back separately over ten years." She peeked at Hannah. "We thought you might accept that. Like we could make it five, but it'd be a stretch."

"Fifty over ten years is fine. I can live with that." I replied. I would have preferred the five, but shit. We were the ones pushing.

"Oh my fucking god." She screeched. "Jimmy, it's actually happening."

"Abby, that's a cool thing to do. Thank you." Jimmy added.

"All I ask is you say nothing to anybody until I've spoken to Mum. She helped me buy this house. I need to check with her first okay."

"Yeah, no worries. We've been to the bank. I figured you'd want four seven fifty at least. They were happy with everything."

The dinner quickly degenerated into a party. There were some sore heads in the morning that's for sure.

I called Mum, to see if she could have lunch with Hannah and me.

"Thanks for coming Mum."

"Don't be silly dear. You know how much I love spending time with my two favourite people in the world." She glanced from Hannah, back to me. "Oh dear, is something wrong? You look tense Hannah."

"No, nothing is wrong. We think it's good news."

"Mum," I said interrupting. "I wanted to talk to you about my home. Would you be upset if I sold it?"

She instantly looked shocked, afraid. "Why would you do that dear?"

"Don't panic Mum, we're not moving. Hannah and I have found another house we want to buy together. We can't do it without selling."

"Ohhh..." She said falteringly. "Together? How would that work?"

With our hands firmly grasped, Hannah said. "I proposed to Abby, and she said yes. We are going to get married."

Mum's face went completely limp, I could see her brain absorbing the news. Slowly, ever so slowly a smile began to spread across her face. "Married... Heavens above." The weird expression disappeared completely as she said. "I am so happy for you both. Good lord. Married, that makes me so happy."

She stood quickly and rushed around our side of the table to cuddle us both. "My daughters getting married. Good heavens, I can't believe it. I'd given up hope."

Our lunch arrived, and Mum eventually calmed down enough to eat. "Are you gonna be okay about the house?"

"The house, who cares, it is yours, Abby. Where is your new one going to be?"

"its up on Bywell street."

"Gosh, that is an expensive area. Are you sure you can afford it?"

"Yeah, we have already done all the math. Alice and Jimmy, have agreed to buy my place. Hannah, has sixty grand to put towards it. I just wanted to know if you'd be okay with me selling."

"That's silly. It's your home dear. You do what you think is best. I do like the thought of you buying something together. Do Rose, and Arthur, know?"

"Not yet Mum." I said quickly. "You're the first person we've told."

She grinned wider if that was possible. "Thank you girls. That is lovely."

"We're going out to tell Mum and Dad tonight." Hannah glanced quickly at me before adding. "Would you like to come with us? You would have to act surprised though."

Mum giggled conspiratorially. "I would love to. I used to be in the drama club. Some used to say I was a good actress. We shall see."

The drive out to Hannah's parents place was full of giggling laughter as Hannah and Mum plotted our wedding. Venues, menu's, guest lists. It was a bit much. "I am right here." I snapped. "I can hear everything you're saying. It is my wedding as well."

"Oh hush." Mum said reprimanding me. "We have a lot to organise."

"Your mother is going to change everything you decide, you know that don't you?" I muttered to Hannah.

We all gathered around the huge totara dining table. Rose totally in her element. She loved playing the hostess.

"It is so lovely having everybody together like this." She said. "We should do more of it."

"Yes we should." Hannah added before saying. "There is a reason for this gathering though."

"Really." Rose said quizzically.

"Yes Mum, and you too Dad. Abby, and I wanted you all to be the first to know. We are getting married."

Silence... A long drawn out hush fell over the room.

"Oh my word. That is wonderful news. Congratulations." My mother said loudly.

"Yes, absolutely." Rose added, although unconvincingly. "When is the big day?"

"We haven't decided yet." Hannah replied.

"Are you having a private ceremony?" Arthur asked.

"No, we're going big Dad. The whole thing. Church, reception. We are telling the world."

"Good heavens. I am somewhat at a loss for words." Rose murmured. "I had lost hope. I have to say darlings. You have caught us off guard."

"It's all right Mum." Hannah said. "We aren't expecting you to pay."

"The hell with that. You are our daughter. Of course we are paying." Arthur snapped loudly. "It has come as a shock, but we will definitely be paying."

"Excuse me." My mother said breaking into the conversation. "Abby, is my daughter, and I am quite happy to pay for her wedding."

"Eileen, you are retired, you live alone. Let us handle the financial aspects." Rose said.

"No, absolutely not. I have money put aside for her wedding. I will say. I wondered whether I would ever need it, but it is there."

"Stop it all of you." I said. "We are grateful that you want to be involved, but if you can't agree. Hannah, and I are quite happy to pay for our own wedding."

"Hell will freeze over before I allow that." Arthur growled. "We will share the load." He looked across at my mother. "Eileen, we would be honoured if you wanted to pitch in as well."

"Dad, there's other news." Hannah said. She took a deep breath. "Abby, and I are buying a house."

Another silence. "Where?" He replied rather gruffly. "Why in gods name didn't you ask me to look over it for you? Jesus Christ, Hannah. Would you stop being so damned independent."

"Dad, we have made an offer based on finances, and of course a building inspection. Both Abby, and I were hoping you could have a look at it with us. If there are problems, we can still pull out."

"Where is this damn house?"

"On Bywell street. It overlooks the bay."

"Oh dear, that's frightfully expensive. How much is it darling?" Rose asked.

"Six seventy five, but we have made a tentative offer of six fifty." Hannah replied.

"Golly, that is a lot."

"We can handle it Mum."

"Yes, of course you can." Rose sighed. "Darling, we have money, we always wanted to put towards your first home. Please don't do that silly proud thing. We want to help."

"Mum, Abby, and I want to be equal partners. We are each putting in similar amounts."

"Do you mind if I say something?" My mother said quietly. "When Craig, and I got married. We had nothing, but what we did have was all put into one hat. It went from being his or mine too ours. We threw everything into our farm, our life. If you girls are serious about marriage. You have to stop thinking about what belongs to who."

Hannah rushed into Mum's arms and they embraced so tightly.

"That is so true." She looked at me. "She is right. God I have spent so much time building my life. I still think of things that way."

I nodded, "Yeah. You're right Mum."

"We don't even have separate bank accounts." Rose said. "We have always agreed that everything in our marriage is one."

"What are we all saying here. I'm lost." Arthur said loudly.

"Dad, what we are saying is. If you have money to put towards our home. We will accept."

"Thank god for reason." He sighed.

The drive home was slow. Fog carpeted the hills. "What a bloody night." I sighed thoughtfully.

"You were wonderful Eileen." Hannah said. "You must have been a wonderful actress."

"My dear, you have no idea."

For once, everything ran smoothly. Alice and Jimmy's loan application was accepted by the bank. Our offer of six fifty was accepted.

Our parents visited the property and all agreed it was a marvellous investment. Arthur begrudgingly said we had made a fine choice. With their help we put down a sizeable deposit.

Hannah and I had our very own home. Life went from comfortable, to chaotic. We had to move, plan a wedding, and we were in the final throes of recording our album.

It wasn't just an album though. Part of the NZ on air funding was we had to release three singles, and they had to have video versions. That wasn't something we had planned, but it did give us a chance to come up with ideas.

Hannah suggested some horse riding scenes, which was good. Easy to film, although Darla wasn't so keen. She'd never been keen on horses, and never ridden.

We recorded some footage from the recording process. Some from performances. It was Gloria who suggested we use the steam punk museum and do some historical dress up themed footage. Some of that was filmed in my shop.

Funny how things grow. The filming forced Hannah and Sylvie together. They were forced to put aside their differences. The fact Molly and Hannah had become close helped.

Behind that I finally found a design I liked for Hannah's wedding and engagement rings. The engagement party was a great night. The first in our new home. Family members Mum and I hadn't seen for years. Hannah's family of course, and our collective friends.

Mum and Rose collaborated baking a wonderful cake. They wanted us to make a formal announcement.

The biggest battle Hannah and I had was selecting our outfits. She wanted matching dresses, which I argued against. I wanted our engagement to be something that showed we were uniting, but from our own places.

I didn't often wear dresses, and it didn't seem right.

"Oh for heavens sake Abby. Surely you can wear a dress for our engagement party." She sighed sadly.

"Why, I wasn't wearing a dress when you met me. I hardly ever wear them. Everybody who knows me knows that."

"But it's our engagement. Let me show you the dresses I picked out."

"No, I'm sorry Hannah. I hope you wear a gorgeous fluffy beautiful dress, but I am going to wear what I want."

"Jeans... You are going to turn up in scruffy old jeans. I just know it."

"No I won't. I promise, I have something in mind I think you'll like."

With a grumpy pout she said "Show me."

"No, you'll have to wait."

She of course looked devastatingly gorgeous. Her mint green organza and silk dress fitted her perfectly. It was exactly as I imagined. Okay, the colour choice surprised me, but the dress was unbelievable.

When she saw me walk into the room wearing my black silk pants, that flowed with a tailored swish, and my cream blouse, with ruffles. She smiled warmly. "You look stunning."

Her hand slipped into mine, her luscious lips sliding wantonly over mine.

It was when our families gathered around to hear our formal announcement, that I slipped out my ring.

Hannah gasped in shock when she saw the little velvet box open in my hand. "Hannah, I offer you this ring as a sign of my love and commitment."

I felt her hand tremble in mine, tears flowed, and it wasn't just her either. Her mother, mine, and even I shed a tear.

"I accept your ring my love, and it is with great pride, I offer mine in return." She slipped a small red velvet box from somewhere. When she opened it, there was the most amazing emerald ring. I knew it wasn't something Gloria made.

"This was my great grandmothers, and it has been in the family ever since. Mum insisted. Will you accept?"

I felt my hand shivering as I held it out. The ring fitting perfectly as it slid on.

"You bloody sneak." I whispered as we hugged, our families engulfing us in hugs and kisses.

Later, with the dark evening skies hanging gloomily overhead. Everybody gone. We lay in our bed, all the windows and drapes open.

Hannah held up her hand with the ring. "It's beautiful. You are so clever."

I held mine up, our hands touching. "Yours is pretty awesome as well. Not something I would usually wear, but I will wear this forever and with pride."

She rolled towards me. "Are you unhappy, it was only Mum offered it, and it felt right."

"Oh god, it's wonderful. I love it."

She giggled. "I did get Gloria to make one, but when Mum offered I had to accept."

"How did Gloria take it?" I asked curious.

"She was a bit sad. She wanted dearly to be part of the ceremony in some way."

"She will be my bridesmaid." I whispered."

"You want bridesmaids?" Hannah asked dubiously.

"Yes, it will be the one time in my life where I wear a dress. A long time before I discovered myself. I planned my wedding. I loved Cinderella."

"Oh my god. How did I not know this?"

"I know weird huh."

"No babe, it's wonderful. I love it. Who else will be in your party?"

"Alice, and the girls from the band."

"Well I'm taking Molly." She huffed. "I wanted Alice in my party."

"Okay, you can have Alice, if she agrees. Who is going to give you away?" She asked.

"Mum of course."

"Excellent."

There was no escaping having the wedding at Hannah's parents place. It was gorgeous, and I didn't really put up a fight. Our mothers took over, as if we didn't know that was going to happen.

Secretly, we were both happy for them to take over. Hannah was busy at work. I was busy, and we were finally at the mastering stage of our album.

The girls in the band demanded to play at the reception, which was held in the big barn.

Hannah suggested that they get another drummer for the night. As they say, that's when the fight started. No way was I letting another drummer in.

Our compromise was we got two bands, and we played for only a short segment.

It was a wild and tumultuous ride. All of our lives so tightly meshed. With the wedding out of the way, we entered a short tour to promote our newly released album. Okay, it didn't rise to number one, but it did well enough to earn us invitations to a few of the best festivals all over the country.

The band was actually making money.

Our parents piled on the pressure. They all wanted grandchildren.

That started the next debate, and the new games began.

Fuck you Chris Isaac...

The end.

1...67891011