When Ordinary Isn't Ch. 07

Story Info
The conclusion.
9.8k words
4.88
14.6k
42

Part 7 of the 7 part series

Updated 06/09/2023
Created 04/03/2020
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
WillDevo
WillDevo
860 Followers

The following morning, a rental car service delivered another pickup plus a flatbed trailer to the hotel which could be returned in Oklahoma. There was already a flurry of activity when they arrived at the ranch at about 9:30.

Dalton met them as they got out of the truck.

"Good news, sir. We lost only six head to the storm. Seven horses and a dozen cattle got loose, but most are accounted for. The fences are being repaired. The neighbors found Bosco. He's in section 23." He laughed hard. "Yeah. He's had a good walk. We'll trailer them all back in a couple of days once all the fences are up."

"That's good news?" Peggy asked.

"Yeah. Six is a lot fewer than I expected." Eric said with a relieved sigh.

"Two cows were still... but they were too... So I had to, um..." Dalton paused, struggling to speak. "Um... The backhoe is out there now to--"

"I understand," Eric nodded, patting him on his shoulder.

Eric wondered if Dalton, a handyman, had ever had to euthanize an animal. He understood his distress. Hunting was one thing, dispatching injured livestock was another. Eric hadn't had to endure such an experience, either.

They observed at least a dozen people throwing debris into a dump truck. There were already blue tarpaulins on the roof of the ranch house, and they saw arcs from welders being used to repair the pipes of fences hundreds of yards away. The sounds of chainsaws came from several directions.

"What the hell?" Peggy said, surveying the scene.

"Sorry, ma'am?" Dalton asked.

"There's no way you could have gotten contractors out here so quickly."

"Contractors? I don't understand."

"Who are all of these people?"

"Neighbors. Why? Is something wrong?" Dalton answered, puzzled at her confusion.

Peggy grasped Eric's hand tightly.

"No. Not a damned thing," Eric answered for her.

"Oh. And a roofer will be here later this afternoon to check out the damage on the ranch house, but sir, I'm not sure what to do with yours. There's a few people in there cleaning up and moving things out of the rooms that got wet. What do you want me to do?"

"Don't worry about it. You've got your hands full already. And damn it, stop calling me sir ," Eric said with a light chuckle. "Call me Eric like you did last night."

"Sorry, but I was just kind of freaking out a little."

"It's fine," he reassured him. "How long has everyone been up?"

"Since about five, same as always. We all managed to get a decent night's sleep."

"Good. I'm sure everyone will want lunch here in a bit. I'll see what I can do about that."

"Izzie and Alejandra are making lunch for everyone."

Eric chuckled. "I should have known she'd already thought of that."

A few hours later, Izzie stepped out onto the porch and whistled louder than any whistle Eric could ever muster.

"Mister Eric! Doctor Peggy!" she said, seeing them. "Come inside. I have lunch ready. Hot dogs, hamburgers y papas... y cervesas ."

"Izzie, when was the last time I told you how incredible you are?" Eric laughed and hugged her sweetly.

"Every time you are here."

"Good. Don't ever forget it."

All four served more than thirty people which came through the kitchen to fill plates with heaps of food.

"Mister Eric, I think food price is more for a day or two," Izzie sheepishly said.

"Está bien , Izzie. Don't worry about the budget. What you... what everyone is doing makes me thankful," he responded.

After the masses were served, Eric and Peggy ate. He then went to the main house to clear as much debris as could be safely moved without heavy equipment. Two people placed makeshift lally columns on concrete blocks. Eric helped hoist and attach sets of 2x6 shoring beams into place on the columns to give the structure a little extra support in the damaged exterior wall until a builder had a chance to examine the damage and form a plan for repairs.

Peggy worked with Izzie and Alejandra to sort furnishings in the house which had been ruined or damaged. Peggy wanted to work alongside Eric, but couldn't risk injuring her hands clearing nail- or glass-ridden debris or pinching fingers in fence cables.

As dusk began to settle, Eric and Peggy sat together with more than a dozen others on the porch of the ranch house to eat a barbecue dinner Eric had catered in. They both felt some accomplishment with the work which had been completed. Aside from a few fences for which new materials would be needed, the vast majority of the cleanup was completed. The last of the branches of damaged trees had been chipped into the dump truck just as the dinner call was made on the radios.

Dalton drove up with Eric's rented truck. His wrecked Silverado had been pulled onto the flatbed trailer and secured with chains.

"Here you go, sir. All buckled down and ready to go."

"How's everything faring?"

"The roofers just left. They said they already have that color and style of shingle at a warehouse in Arlington, and they said it shouldn't take them more than a day to repair the roof. They think they'll be back the day after tomorrow. Their gutter guys can't get here for a few weeks, but there's no rush there, at least."

"How about the broken window?"

"It's covered with plywood. I know a glass guy I can call. One nice thing about those windows is that they can cut the glass right on the truck and just re-glaze the frame. Don't need to rebuild a sash."

Eric chuckled. "I guess age has its advantages sometimes."

"Any news on Mickey, Doctor Foreman?" Dalton asked.

"Yes. His surgeons removed his spleen, and they've got his arm in an external fixator."

Dalton displayed a puzzled expression.

"A fixator is something resembling Tinker Toys, but holds bone segments securely in position until they can knit. Along with his shattered arm, he was battered and bruised by hail. He regained consciousness and was aware of his surroundings after surgery, which is a very good sign. He was understandably uncomfortable, so they have him on medications to relieve his pain.

"I know it all sounds pretty bad, but it's actually encouraging news. When I talked to his primary on the phone, she told me they were prepping him to be taken to Dallas to a level two trauma center which can better manage his recovery.

"He's obviously a very strong man. I think he'll pull through it. It'll take a week or so to get a clearer picture." Relieved smiles came to the faces of those sitting around them.

It was close to eight o'clock when dinner was completed. Eric and Peggy helped Alejandra clean up the serving area.

"You should go home, Mister Eric. It is getting late for a drive," Alejandra suggested.

"I think you're right. I'd love to stick around and finish up outside, but I don't think I can delay getting Peggy back to Florida."

"There's not much left to do," Dalton said. "I can't do much more until I order some materials."

Eric nodded. "Give me a shout if y'all need anything, and, please, do me a favor. Get me contact information for everyone who helped out. I want to thank them personally make sure everyone's expenses get reimbursed."

"I can do that. Y'all drive carefully."

Three hours later, Eric and Peggy arrived at his house in Norman.

"You know what?" Peggy said as they entered. "I wouldn't mind a drink. Where's your liquor?" she said so deadpan it put him in stitches.

"Second cabinet from the left under the island"

She drew out a partial bottle of Jack Daniel's and found a full one behind it.

"Glasses?" she asked.

"Upper cabinet next to the fridge."

"You want one?"

"Yes, please. On the rocks. A Coke, too. They're in the fridge."

She pulled plastic cups and rocks glasses from the cabinet, filled all four with ice from the under-cabinet ice maker, then poured cokes into the big cups and doubles into the rocks glasses. She placed the empty bottle in the recycling bin. She brought his set to him and went back for her own, placing them on coasters on the coffee table.

She opened the one suitcase they managed to find in the wrecked house which was stuffed with as many clothes as they could recover. Margaret removed some pajamas, and changed clothes in the middle of the living room then flopped herself into the comfortable leather couch with a deep, audible sigh, propping her feet on the ottoman.

"Much better," she said after she took a deep sip of whiskey.

"Why are you staring at me?" she asked, seeing Eric standing in front of her.

"You made yourself right at home. And I freaking love it," he said, swinging one of his legs over her outstretched pair. He leaned into her to give her a kiss. "I'll be right back."

He went to the master bedroom to change.

"Listen," Peggy said when he returned. "Do you hear that?"

"Hear what?" he asked after a few seconds.

"Nothing. Silence. Calm."

"Yeah." He sighed.

"How can you not be stressed? I mean, look at me. I'm still a wreck from last night."

"Why do you think I'm not?"

"You just seem like you always do, all normal and stuff."

"Well, that's how you appear to me, too. No, I'm stressed, alright. Nothing like watching a good chunk of one's house disappear and seeing a good friend get hurt."

"Yeah. I've never in my life been as terrified as I was last night. I don't get it. We were crouched down like kids in a tornado drill at school, but inside a vault, completely immune to what was going on six inches away. But I was still scared to death."

Eric settled in next to her and wrapped his arm around her shoulders. She snuggled closely to him.

"I know what you mean. I had this weird metallic taste in my mouth for hours afterward. It was like I'd been sucking on a penny or something."

"Me, too. Adrenaline does that. This is going to sound like shit, but when Dalton drove up with Mickey, all that evaporated for a few hours. It was game time, you know? Even though Mickey is a grown man, I was in work mode. I had my mind where I needed it. I was totally focused on what I was doing, but my head starts spinning again when I'm idle."

He rubbed the side of her arm, and she scooched closer to him.

"We got through it. Everyone got through it. And, thanks to you and Dalton, everyone is alive. I don't think I've told you today how much I love you."

Peggy gently rubbed his tummy. "I love you, too, Eric. I really, really do." She kissed him tenderly.

She looked at her watch. "Well, my flight back to Orlando landed three hours ago."

"Don't worry about it. I'll fly you back."

"Eric, don't--"

"Don't argue." He chuckled. "Please. The last thing you need is another six or seven hours of travel."

"Okay." She sighed softly.

"Really?" He bent his neck to look at her more fully. "You gave up that easily?"

"Yeah. Like I said after I flew here, you wouldn't have to twist my arm too hard to change my mind."

"I didn't twist it at all."

"Yup," she said, sitting up and sipping her drinks.

"What time do you want to get back? I'll need to let the crew know."

"Let's say... five o'clock?"

He did some mental math and made a call. He talked to a scheduling agent and requested his Citation be readied to depart for Orlando at 1:00pm.

"Done. Want to watch TV?"

"No. I kind of want to just sit here and be with you," she said, propping a pillow against his thigh onto which she reclined.

He smiled tenderly at her, running his fingers slowly and softly through her hair.

"Talk to me. Just... talk to me. I like the sound of your voice," she whispered, smiling sweetly at him.

"Well, let's see. What should I talk about?"

"You've told me all about what you did at Reiter-Marlin. Tell me more about the business that earned you enough to buy some of my dad's land, and why you wanted to start a ranch."

She listened as he spoke, relaxed but attentive, as he stroked her hair and ears while she held his other hand on her tummy. He offered her a much deeper explanation of the reasons behind the guarded and shielded nature she'd witnessed when they first met.

He slowed his words when he saw Peggy's eyes getting heavy. He quieted his voice, but continued talking. He recited several vulgar limericks and observed no reaction. He carefully moved the hand that was holding his. It felt like dead weight.

"You awake?" he whispered.

She wasn't.

He smiled, silently stroking his love's golden mane. Releasing his other hand from hers, he stroked her soft lips with his thumb. Reflex caused her to lick them.

He slowly and carefully slid himself out from underneath the pillow at his thigh, quietly rose from the couch, and fetched two comfortable blankets from a closet. He tucked one around Peggy's motionless, sleeping body.

He removed several of the larger throw pillows from the chairs, turned out all the lights, and settled into a makeshift nest on the floor next to his love.

He listened to her slow, easy breaths. The sound soothed and comforted him into sleep.

Light was visible through the window shades when he felt her warm hand alight on his chest. He turned his head and saw her looking over the edge of the couch cushion. She smiled at him.

"Hi," she whispered sweetly.

"Hi, baby." He smiled back at her. "Sorry I bored you to sleep last night."

"No. Don't say that. You didn't bore me. You relaxed me."

She sat up and stretched her muscles with a morning yawn, eliciting a few subtle pops and cracks.

"Why didn't you go sleep in the bed?" she asked.

"I wanted to stay by your side," he said, rising.

She smiled sweetly at him. His caring, tender nature made her feel safe.

The two showered and dressed for their day, then ate a light breakfast.

Eric texted Lance while they ate. Can Peggy and I pop in at the office in a bit?

What time you thinking?

Leaving for Orlando at 1:00pm. How's 11:30?

Sounds great. I can't wait to meet her. I'll order us all some lunch. Indian food?

Perfect. See you then.

"You want to meet my buddy, Lance?" Eric asked Peggy.

"Sure. You've told me so much about him that I feel like I already know him. It'll be good to put a face with the name."

"Yeah, he's kind of anxious to meet you, too."

"Yeah? Why's that?"

"Well, I've told him a lot about you, as well. And he's curious to see what kind of woman finally allowed me to love again," he said, enveloping her in his arms and kissing her softly.

"What time are we meeting him?"

"Eleven thirty. I hope you like Indian food, because that's what's for lunch."

"That's fine with me. And it means we have some time."

She offered him his body, shuddering through two orgasms in rapid succession before she encouraged his own out of him as he took her from behind. She learned she very much enjoyed having her little pucker stroked when she was filled, his dick nudging that magical place deep within her.

They were panting and sweaty by the time they were done, and debated whether they needed another shower. Time wouldn't permit it, so they laid spread-eagle on their backs and let the ceiling fan dry their bodies.

They dressed again, straightened the house, and left.

Peggy followed behind Eric in his Equinox so he could drop off his smashed-up Silverado at a body shop. They then returned the rental with trailer to the local branch of the company he'd rented from in Texas. They arrived at his former offices, located in a dark red-bricked four-story building. Three flags flew outside the lobby doors. The US flag was front and center, with the flag of the State of Oklahoma next to it. The final flag spirited the company's logo.

"Eric! It's good to see you again," the receptionist said with a broad smile when the couple entered the lobby.

"Hello, Cassie! Welcome back. How's the new baby?"

"He's doing well, thanks for asking. I just checked on him twenty minutes ago. Jon and I returned from family leave last week, and I've got to tell you, it's great working for a company that provides onsite daycare," she said with a smile.

"Gotta keep the moms and dads at their desks twenty-four seven," he teased.

While such perks did have productivity advantages, it was intended as an incentive to attract the youngest, freshest talent they could find, and such talent often existed in new parents.

"And how's Jon?"

"He's slowly starting to figure out how to multiplex his sleep, so he's back at his desk putting the final polish on the TIGAP presentations for next week's semiconductor expo."

"Outstanding. Glad you're both surviving."

"It feels so odd giving you , of all people, a visitor's tag."

"Yeah, and it feels weird to have to wear one," he admitted. Turning to Peggy, he said, "Honey, she'll need your ID for a minute."

She removed her driver's license from her purse and handed it to the woman. The receptionist entered information into the computer, and a tiny printer situated on the countertop dispensed two adhesive tags. Lance was notified by text message of their arrival, and he stepped through the lobby doors mere minutes after they'd applied the tags to their clothes.

"Doctor Foreman?" he asked, offering his hand.

"Lance Marlin, I presume?"

"That's me. Y'all come on upstairs," he said, holding the glass door open for them. "Lunch is on its way. How's things been going?"

"The ranch got hit by a tornado the night before last," Eric answered.

"What? Holy crap! Were you there?" Lance erupted, drawing a few glances from passers-by in the hallway.

"Both of us were. We were in the shelter in the garage with the dog."

"What happened? Everyone okay?"

Eric filled him in on the details as they settled into chairs at a table in the spacious office. Lance's administrative assistant brought lunch in a few minutes later.

"I sure hope Mickey is okay. That's all such a shock," Lance said, shaking his head.

"They're moving him from the hospital in Wichita Falls to Dallas either today or tomorrow, so I'm going to lay over at Love on the way back from Orlando so I can go see him once he's settled."

"So what was it like?"

"You know how people say tornadoes sound like freight trains?" Peggy asked.

"Yeah," Lance answered.

"It was nothing like what we heard. It sounded like the groans of a wraith from Hell, beating the crap out of the shelter with an aluminum bat. I can't imagine what it would have sounded like if it was a stronger storm."

Eric agreed. "Dalton told me this morning that the weather service determined it was an EF2, and it wasn't even a direct hit on the house. Wrecked half the house anyway. The patio was destroyed along with the garage, which my truck was in. I dropped it off at the body shop on the way here. They're working up the estimate now, but I'm guessing it's totaled. I'm afraid the tamales you forgot to bring back with you are a lost cause, too."

"Dagnabbit ! I knew I'd forgotten something when I flew back here," Lance responded ironically, helping to reduce the somber tone.

"Wait," Peggy said. "You're a pilot, too?"

"I am."

"I'm not surprised the two of you are cut from the same cloth."

"Hardly. I'm the softest of satin. He's more like burlap," he scoffed, pointing at her love.

Peggy studied the guy. He was very different than the image she'd formed in her mind. He was at least a head shorter than Eric, a little stockier, and was oddly boisterous. She decided he was amusing, and could see how he and Eric had developed a lifelong bond. She was entertained by Lance's tales of the two men's experiences. His description of their events in Teterboro, New Jersey, was factually consistent with Eric's, but was related with humor, drama, thrill, and intrigue. She laughed when Eric shook his head in disdain at Lance's obvious tilts.

Lance was piqued by Peggy. As they continued to eat, she described, at length, her research aims. He listened with interest.

WillDevo
WillDevo
860 Followers