All Comments on 'When Ordinary Isn't Ch. 07'

by WillDevo

Sort by:
  • 28 Comments
AnonymousAnonymousabout 4 years ago
My 2 cents

Loved the story and the series. I wish I could give it more than 5 stars. Thanks for your time and imagination.

tangledweedtangledweedabout 4 years ago

The story was well written and the characters were all likable enough to make this a very sweet, romantic story. It gets full marks for that. It doesn't get the extra points for conflict, tension, suspense or anything else that would raise the dramatic tension, as the two perfect characters sail through everything without any missteps along the way. Since this is a pure romance story, that isn't necessarily a bad thing. Some people just can't take that much sugar.

Baldy74Baldy74about 4 years ago
A really great story but......

Loved the characters and the whole setup. Moved along really nicely and you could feel them falling in love. I only had one problem with the story and that was after the storm. Just seemed to be a really dick move to just leave them all to it and bugger off. Did he get the names of all the people that were helping? Get them a gift? Friends don't leave receipts. And a man that had worked for him for years he doesn't even bother going to see him in hospital. Seems to me the man you wrote would have stayed around, fixed some fences, cleared the debris, gone to see his friend in hospital. Took me out of the story. But apart from that it was very sweet and I enjoyed it. 4 stars.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 4 years ago

Love the story only thing I would change would be to add two children.

OvercriticalOvercriticalabout 4 years ago
Unbelievable

After all my complaining about excessive detail you end up with a detail that was completely wrong. You gave Eric her last name in the last sentence of the story. Was this a feminist rebellion or just plain oversight. Actually in one of the earlier chapters you called him Foreman also. This is not a trivial error. My late partner was a physician and she maintained her maiden name throughout her career and it would make sense for Dr. Peggy to stay as Foreman in her new career and he would of course stay as Reiter. But to call both of them Foreman shows lack of attention by the author.

This last chapter was full of filler and almost nothing actually happened. I was a bit upset at the real lack of concern with Peggy's being uprooted from her home in Orlando (not my choice of a great place to live) to go to Oklahoma City (is that better?). I think that of all the issues in this story that was the most significant and got very little play. True, she got an absolutely great position as Research Director in OK City and she did get the man of her dreams, but I think it would have been a tougher decision than I read here. I also did not see anything (unless I skimmed over it) about their plans for children. I gathered that she was mid to late 30's and he perhaps early 40's. I had my youngest daughter at 42 and her mother was 38 (first child) so this isn't so unusual. All in all, the author was preoccupied with detailed trivia throughout and missed some really significant issues. Overall I would rate this as about a 3* and can't understand the flood of 4 and 5* ratings. No accounting for taste.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 4 years ago

Loved the story. Entertaining all through. I would have to agree with Badly though. The way Eric handled the events after the tornado seemed very out of character and flakey. Still a very enjoyable story and cant wait for your next tale

WillDevoWillDevoabout 4 years agoAuthor
To address OC

Yes, you're right. I erred in Eric's surname, which I've already corrected. I just haven't yet published my revisions. I also managed to rename Lucky's dam midway through the story, and I've corrected that, too.

Your username is, of course, apt. But you're factually misinformed in so many of your criticisms. First, Peggy was based on my matron of honor at my wedding. She's 130 pounds, and is much more curvaceous than I wanted Peggy to be visualized. A woman that's 5'11" and 120 lbs has a BMI of 17. That's a far cry from emaciated. It's slightly underweight, as the low end of the "normal" BMI range is 18, which was the whole point you missed because your preconceived notions are slanted. Plenty of models at that height weigh in around 130 that are far from the anorexic body-type you expect that weight to appear.

A half-bottle of whiskey has the same amount of alcohol as eight bottles of beer. It's completely plausible a man of Eric's size could drink that much over the long hours they imbibed without turning themselves into slobbering imbeciles. You say it can't be done without practice. How do you know that they didn't "practice"? Lance even commented, "Oh. It's going to that kind of weekend, huh?"

You argue the effects of drinking to that extent yet none of what you argue for is counter to what was told in the story. As to your choice of whiskey, that's fine. But someone with money to burn whose intention is to get drunk isn't going to "respect" their liquor like you do. But good for you. Also, Lance didn't get into the plane the morning after their drinking binge. It was a full day later, but since you're "skimming," I can understand why you overlook even not-so-subtle details like that.

I can't help but think you can't relate to any character beyond what your can contrive yourself. There are PLENTY of people in this world that don't find a career relocation to be so gut-wrenching as you demand it be.

The lack of mention of any plans to have children (or not) was a deliberate choice. The production of offspring is not always the needed culmination of a union. Though Will and I have written to it in other works, it was a trope I chose to omit in this tale.

Finally, you criticize the use of descriptive detail. Perhaps the reason this story is in the top of the ratings lists might be because most readers enjoy it.

Thanks for reading.

WillDevoWillDevoabout 4 years agoAuthor
Baldy (and Anonymous): You're right.

I re-read the post-storm section and must admit I agree with you. I'm going to re-write that section and post a revision soon.

Though this comment won't make much sense after that revision is published, I'll explain. Eric was asking Dalton for receipts for any of the bills, as that had been Mickey's job as ranch foreman. It was meant as a subtle nod to Dalton that he had just been promoted to interim foreman and receipts were necessary for accounting but I can see how that fell flat.

Eric did tell Lance that he was planning on visiting Mickey soon, which would have been after the story ended. I've clarified that a bit.

Thank you both for the (constructive) criticisms.

Boyd PercyBoyd Percyalmost 4 years ago

I read all seven chapter over several days. This like all your multi-part stories is top-notch!

5 for all 7 chapter

JaceyTreyJaceyTreyover 3 years ago

Well, golly. Another awesome bit of work!

dgfergiedgfergieover 3 years ago

mushy-mushy, great story.

oldpantythiefoldpantythiefover 3 years ago
Some story!

So glad I got to read this story as it is amazing and I loved it. Thanks

JustOneMansOpinionJustOneMansOpinionover 3 years ago
When Ordinary Isn't is more than title.

I have read all your stories and I can say they are all very entertaining. I would only say that if I were to critic anything about your writing, and I will not hit this to hard, is you use some wording or words that very few people use in every day conversation.

A simple mistake I noticed was using the wrong spelling of for a word that has two meanings, but sounds the same such as, I think on page 2 of this chapter, Peggy was talking about her liking deer, "aka venison", if prepared right. She liked the tenderloin cutlets her mom wood make. Now I'm sure every one will agree, WOOD, makes makes great construction material but her mom WOULD not use it make tenderloin cutlets. Wood is a noun and would is an adverb.

OK, I made a couple of comments that may or may not help in your next story. They are not major observations but maybe they will help just a bit. Good luck and thank you for entertaining us.

WillDevoWillDevoover 3 years agoAuthor

One man: YES! (*laughing*) -- There's a comment in our bio that mentions that. Despite constant proofreading and editing, every single time we get a post online, we immediately see more errors. "Wood" versus "would" smacked me in the face pretty hard when I saw it. It's already been corrected, but for some reason, it's taking Lit forever to get our re-submits posted. Because of the amount of time it takes to get an updated submitted, sometimes we'll see an error and just think "Maybe they won't notice that" and move on. Thanks!

rayironyrayironyabout 3 years ago
Good romance, well executed

A mere quibble: everyone imagines the gravity free sensuality of sex in the water, or worse hot tubs.

It's fine on paper , but , the water rudely washes away all that wonderful feminine lubricant in short order...and you can now imagine the rest.

Perhaps with a water insoluble lube, silicon or bacon fat or the like it'd work.

So, this was my first of your story series. If the next is as good ,you certainly go on the Favorites list.

Thanks for this.

ActingupActingupabout 3 years ago

Thank you for this story. I did roll my eyes a fair bit when handsome chemist guy turned out to be yet another unattached multimillionaire who needs to learn to trust again, but I nearly forgave you when you twisted it to make her rich as well. The only thing was the sense of unreality for these perfect people finding each other...

As a meteorologist I appreciated very much that you took care with the severe storm episode, using the official NWS warnings and describing a tornado impact well. I was a bit surprised though that there were no landline quality comms for them to watch the radar and show more general awareness before the event - are the ranches still that isolated?

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 3 years ago

Great story. Added bonus in your writing - my vocabulary has increased dramatically.

hornier_bastardhornier_bastardalmost 3 years ago

Very enjoyable... Thank you!

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 3 years ago

I enjoyed it a second time. After reading your partner's tale.

But too much booze, these two will be pickled in a few years. And too much emphasis on feminine secretions. Not the period flow, that was a clever device.

PurplefizzPurplefizzover 2 years ago

I enjoyed this story immensely, although I’d have liked to have seen something of the phantom twin sister, that was mentioned and then forgotten about, that does not seem like the behaviour of any twin I’ve ever known.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 2 years ago

Wonderful story. I thoroughly enjoyed it. Great characters. I especially liked that they were evenly matched and equal partners. I’m on to the next part of their adventure with life.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 2 years ago

I read futures in the air first purely on accident. Loved it so much. I was so thrilled to find this one just recently. It was fantastic.

AnAncientAnAncientalmost 2 years ago

I dislike coming to the last page and finding only a few paragraphs or less.

Good story in the parts I read, but I skip over the details of sexual activity as I find them tedious and uninspiring. Some mention of sexual activity is fine for plot and character development, but I feel too much gets in the way of the story.

mac1729mac1729over 1 year ago

Great story! I really enjoyed the aviation aspects of it, there is nothing like flying in small planes. I will starting "The future" next

Thanks for writing

AnonymousAnonymousabout 1 year ago

Kept waiting to meet Eric' twin sister. Would have thought she would want to meet her brother new flame.

AnonymousAnonymous8 months ago

The link to the next story is messed up. Try https://www.literotica.com/s/the-future-is-in-the-air

oldpantythiefoldpantythief7 months ago

Great story even if it seems all they do is eat and fuck.... well, not all they do, lol. It was a pleasure to read this story again and I would give it another five stars if it were possible. Thanks

Richard1940Richard19406 months ago

Thoroughly enjoyed the whole series. Thank you. 5-* all the way

Minor niggle - The link that is supposed to take you to "The future is in the Air" doesn't work

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous
userWillDevo@WillDevo
Latest news: (1/2/24): The updates to our "seasonal" tale, "The Flight Before Christmas," are up now. It's only some corrections and style changes, so go ahead and read it any time if you're up for some holiday-based erotica. Also, forgot to mention earlier that the names "Br...

story TAGS

READ MORE OF THIS SERIES