Whose Fault Was It (Second Half) Ch. 04

Story Info
Face the music.
9k words
4.24
37.7k
16

Part 5 of the 10 part series

Updated 10/31/2022
Created 07/06/2011
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Part Nine

Have to Face the Music

Thursday was a busy day. Mark and Janet had to vacate the Bridal Suite but that was ok. They had enjoyed their time there but most of all they enjoyed being reunited as legal man and wife. Mark had gone to his apartment that morning and met some movers. They packed all his possessions and loaded them on a truck. There were three men in the group. Mark tossed the key to his roadster to the oldest of the crew. "Will you take my car too? After you unload my stuff, park it in the dive next to the garage. I would appreciate it."

After Mark made sure the furnished apartment was empty of his possessions and clean, he went to pay the final fees. Back in the Ford, Mark headed to their original business location. There he put a 'For Sale' sign on the dash of the Crown Victoria and went inside to leave the keys. Mark was back at work now. He would drive the company Hummer 2 that was painted with the company logo. It was a moving billboard. Mark wasn't crazy about driving the vehicle he had dubbed the 'Bozomobile', but it was new and did help advertise their locations. Mark was above all a businessman and knew that their livelihood depended on customers, both repeat and new. He would smile and drive the outlandish vehicle if it paid his salary.

While Mark was moving and clearing out of his apartment Janet had been at work for several hours. She had beat Lu to the office by an hour. Her secretary smiled as she walked in Janet's office to see her friend and boss busy. Janet had not noticed Lu's entrance till she was asked if she wanted fresh coffee. Looking up she stopped work for a minute. "That would be great. I've been here several hours, I need the lift. When you fill my cup you better get yourself a cup. I have some things I want you to do for me. I'm pressed for time today."

"Sure boss, it's good to have you back. I was worried about you for a while. Wondered what had happened to the woman I use to know. I even had a thought you had be abducted by aliens."

"Not hardly Lu, much better than that I assure you!" Janet smiled.

"Damn Janet you look like...where were you last night? I mean if that BOB you got is that good, I got to have me one." Lu joked trying to get a confession.

Janet smiled even bigger. "Guess I've been a little crazy but a girl gets to be crazy before she gets married."

That stunned Lu. In all the time she had known Janet Parker she had never heard Janet mention marriage for herself other than past tense. "He proposed? The guy at the mall actually proposed? And you said yes?"

"That's about it. He knelt down on one knee. It was so...like a fairy tale to me."

"Wait a minute, you accepted a proposal from a man you met at the mall. You have known him 5 day now, you are about to get hitched to him?"

"Not actually, Lu."

"But you said you accepted his proposal. Now you say you aren't going to marry him?"

"No Lu I can't, well I could, but that wouldn't make any difference."

"Janet Parker, what have you been drinking?"

"I want you to be the first to know, well the first here at the office to know. I am now Mrs. Mark R. Parker!" Janet beamed.

"Janet you have called yourself Mrs. Parker for as long as I've known you! Now what gives?"

"Lu, I married Mark yesterday. We spent last night at the Bentley Imperial in the Bridal Suite."

"Janet you are telling me you met a man named Parker, he proposed, the two of you got married yesterday?"

"Exactly Lu, it was like a dream, you see we spent our honeymoon at the Bentley Imperial."

"Yes so you said, in the Bridal Suite, and with a man named Parker. You know what that sounds like?"

"What Lu, tell me."Janet giggled.

"I believe that Franklin Roosevelt married his cousin Eleanor Roosevelt. When they asked her about it she said it was so she didn't have to change the monograms on her hankies."

"I didn't know that Lu."

"See Janet if you are telling me the truth, you married another man named Parker, you won't have to change your business cards. When were you thinking about the ceremony? A fall wedding?"

"No done that, we were married yesterday." Janet said as she held her hand up for Lu to see her wedding ring finger.

Lu looked at the ring she had seen many times. She was wondering what had gotten into Janet. And how would she allow the bum to get out of buying her a wedding ring. But the ring was different. She noticed the third band.

"You like it Lu? The jeweler said it is a 'Foundation Band'. I never heard of them but I like it."

"What you call it? A 'Foundation Band'? What's it for? That's your old ring. You married a man and you used the old ring? I don't think I know this Janet. Where is my old boss?"

"Lu sit down. I am so excited, let me tell you what happened. You know I was divorced. My husband left me 9 ½ years ago. I had not heard from him since he left. His brother handled the divorce for him. And Jeremy's an asshole. But let me back up. Last Saturday was the 15th anniversary of the day I met my husband Mark."

"Your new husband?"

"No Lu, just listen. Yes...well no.. 15 years ago Saturday I met Mark, ok my prior husband." Lu started to speak but Janet held up her hand. "Mark had stolen a parking space at the mall from me. I confronted him over it. He gave it to me if I would meet him for coffee. We had coffee and 6 months later we were married."

"But that was 15 years ago." Lu asked puzzled.

"Yes it was 15 years ago last Saturday. Then last Saturday I was at the mall, and this little yellow car stole my parking space again. It was 15 years to the day. I got out to confront the jerk. And who was in that car?"

"Janet you got me so confused that I can't even guess."

"It was Mark Parker, the same Mark Parker that had stolen my parking space 15 years earlier. I hadn't seen Mark in over 9 years." Janet smiled.

The light went on. "You married the same man?"

"Yes I did. He proposed and everything. It has been such a dream, I haven't told my mother yet."

"I guess it makes sense. Now I can see why the same wedding ring. But I'd made him buy me a bigger one."

"Lu he offered, but I have warn this ring for 15 years and just can't bear to part with it. After the divorce I tried to trade it off but it wasn't in me. I always prayed Mark would return to me. I guess prayers are answered. Now help me get all this done, I have to leave at noon to get Mark's things moved in. Then I have to face my mother this evening. I have put that off too long."

Mark had started his day just a little before noon. Janet had ended hers about the same time. She wanted to be home to let the movers in. Really all she wanted them to do was to put Mark's clothing in the master closet and all the other things in the garage. And to make the move complete, Janet had the men move her clothing, with the exception of lingerie, into the closet with Marks. There was no way she would sleep in the guest room ever again.

Janet used Mark's check book to pay the movers and as he had asked she gave them all a tip. With the BMW in the drive pulled up to the side of the garage used for storage all was ready for the evening. Janet was not looking forward to telling her mother she had remarried Mark. It was not that she thought her mother would object, more that Hilda would be hurt and angry that it had taken so long for her daughter to fess up. Janet wanted to tell her mother that it was Mark in the master bedroom last Sunday morning but she was afraid that it wouldn't last. Not that she didn't trust Mark's intentions, it was just too good to be true. And it is said that something too good to be true was most likely not true.

It was unbelievable to Janet that they would meet the say way 15 years to the day after their first encounter. The nagging doubt that it was a set up to get even was there in those first hours. Now it made her feel a little ashamed, but Janet got a warm feeling between her legs thinking of their private time. So the wrath of her mother was a small price to pay. Looking at the ring Janet now called her "Marriage Foundation" she couldn't believe her luck. Mark had wanted her back as desperately as she had wanted him. The years that had pasted were just the 'prison sentence' both had had to pay for their indiscretion.

The move had made Janet work up a sweat. She showered and dressed casually for the meeting with her mother. Looking at the clock she just had time to do her makeup and fix her hair. She wasn't worried about looking good for her mother, it was Mark that Janet wanted to please.

Mark was on his way home. How good it felt to have a 'home'. Not a house structure, but a home with one he loved waiting for him. Janet had called and threatened him if he was not home by 5:30. Hilda was due at 6 and Janet didn't want to face her alone. Janet's fear was her mother would think she was delusional. Not believe Mark was back. Think she was on drugs. Janet's mother had made it plain she had serious questions about her daughter's behavior.

What Janet didn't know was that Hilda had called for Janet at her office earlier that day to speak with her daughter. The receptionist said they were giving Janet a little party to celebrate her marriage. The news had traveled like wild fire that Janet had married it seemed. There was more than one conversation as to what the fellow must be like. The receptionist didn't know that is was Janet's mother that was learning from her of Janet's marriage.

Hilda could wait no longer. She intended to confront Janet and put an end to this foolishness. A good lawyer could get the marriage annulled. That was on her mind as she drove toward her daughter's home. Hilda would have been an hour early if it hadn't been for the flat tire. Hilda was standing by the left front fender looking and her problem. She wondered if AAA would have service close by.

Mark drove by and noticed the lady in distress. He looked at his watch and knew he had the time to help and still make it home before the deadline. Turing around Mark headed back. As he drove by that time he thought he recognized the woman. Making another U-Turn well past the downed Mercedes her pulled in behind the vehicle and turned on the flashers.

Hilda had noticed the vehicle and looked at it intently. The wild paint job caught her eye more than the man that stepped out. Walking toward Hilda, Mark began to smile. "Hilda Emerson is that you?" he asked.

"Yes," Hilda responded as she looked at the vaguely familiar man. After a few seconds she frowned.

The frown Mark thought was for him. Hilda must be holding a grudge. But that was not the case at all, for she did not recognize him. After a moment of concentration Hilda said, "I'm so sorry but I just can't place a name with your face. I am ashamed to say you have the better of me."

Mark smiled, she hadn't recognized him at that point. "That's alright Mrs. Emerson; it has been a long time."

"I am so embarrassed; would you help me with your name?"

"I'm Mark Parker, your one time son-in-law," Mark said as he watched her expression.

Hilda stammered, "Ah..ah...yes I recognize you now." After a short silence as she collected her wits Hilda asked, "How have you been Mark, it has been a long time."

"Yes it has and I hope you're not too angry at me. But in any case I'll change your flat if you want me to."

Hilda had forgotten her flat. "Yes if you would, I'm going...to an appointment and I don't wish to be late."

Mark decided to let Hilda off the hook. She had something else on her mind; that was obvious. And Mark thought he had added just a little to an uncomfortable mix. If he had worried the strain would have been unhealthy Mark would have confessed.

When he was putting the flat tire into the trunk of the car Hilda stood beside him. She was looking at his vehicle.

Mark smiled big, "Yes I know it looks ridiculous, but they say it helps advertise the service. I wanted to drive my own car but the boss wanted me to use this one. I call it the 'Bozomoblile' because of the loud colors."

"Like Bozo the Clown?"

"I'm glad someone knows who Bozo is. The kids in the shop never heard of him. Made me feel real old." Mark laughed.

"Then you are back in town? How long have you been back?" Hilda questioned.

"About 6 months, got this job. Brother helped me find it. I have been traveling for the last 9 years and was tired of it. Am glad to have a place to hang my hat now."

"Mark it is good to see you. I was so shocked when you left. Janet,...well I never found the reason."

Mark smiled, "That was all long ago, best forgotten. Now guess I had better get you on your way. Don't' want you late."

Hilda frowned thinking of where she was going. Mark interrupted her thoughts. "This is the old neighborhood. I'm close, think I'll drive by the old house."

Hilda was at a loss of what to say. She was headed there now. What might Mark think if she had hidden that from him? "Oh, it's probably about the same. Been some people moved out and new ones came in. But guess that's life. Things always change. Now I do have to run. It is nice to see you again. And you were most kind to stop and help me. Do I owe you any money, a service call?"

"No not at all, I would have done it for anyone but I am glad it was you Hilda. I always remembered you as my favorite mother-in-law."

"You are married now?" Hilda asked looking at his ring.

"Yes ma'am sure am, and you're still my favorite mother-in-law."

Mark had not brought up Janet's name and noted that Hilda had only once. And it seemed she regretted that. "Think I will drive by. Janet still live there?"

"Yes she does Mark, but...she hasn't been feeling well lately. Something serious I believe."

"Well now that I'm married it would be nice to see her. Think I'll drive by tonight just to see the old place. Who knows she might be in the dive and I can say 'hi' to her."

"Mark I am afraid that wouldn't be good right now. Janet is really under the weather."

"I'm sorry to hear that Hilda. Well I guess you had best get to your appointment. If you need an oil change or service drop by." Mark said as he closed the door for Hilda after she had gotten into her Mercedes.

Hilda wasted no time starting the car and heading out. Mark grinned. He wondered why he hadn't confessed and put Hilda at ease. Maybe it was because he knew that Hilda hadn't yet find out about their marriage from Janet. And Mark wanted to give Janet the 'privilege' of telling her mother.

Following close behind Hilda, Mark drove to Janet's house. It was now his home too. Hilda pulled in the drive and was getting out when she saw that Mark had followed her. "Just thought I would take a look at the old house. Janet still lives here?"

"Well yes but,... really this isn't a good time. Janet is feeling poorly."

"Nice car." Mark said pointing to the yellow roadster. "Janet's?"

"Well I really don't know. I don't think so. Now Mark it was nice to see you but I'm sure you have some place to go. I'll tell Janet I saw you." Hilda just wanted Mark to go.

"Ok, guess I should, but it would be nice to see Janet."

"Not today!" Hilda snapped remembering why she was there.

"Ok, ok, I see I'm not welcome." Marks said acting hurt.

"I apologize, but I have a serious matter to discuss with Janet that is very personal."

"No apology needed Hilda; maybe I'll see you again." Mark walked to his truck and started the engine. He was two doors up the street before Hilda rang the bell.

Janet came to the door. "Mother you are early, and my hus...I wanted you to meet someone."

"Janet were you about to say 'your husband' wasn't here yet?"

Janet looked at Hilda. "So you know already?"

"Yes I know you're married without even telling me, much less letting me meet the man. What is wrong with you?"

"Mother, don't be difficult. That is the exact reason I didn't try to discuss this with you. You can be unfair sometimes."

"Unfair? Unfair you say. It was me that had to learn of my daughter's marriage from some teenager on the phone!"

"Teenager mother? Who told you I was married?"

"It was the girl that answers your phone at work."

"Mother Lu is not a teenager. I must say you are a drama queen tonight." Janet looked at the door. Damn Mark, he should be here for this. But he still had five minutes before he was late, but damn it, Hilda was early. "Mother I have to turn off my curling iron. And we need to wait on someone. I want him here to face you."

"Face me, my goodness Janet. What do you mean by that?"

"Just what it sounds like mother. I want that man here to face the music with me!"

"Janet, no!" Hilda put her hand to her mouth. "Janet you didn't have to get married did you?"

Janet laughed as she understood the question. She was 52, almost 53 and being pregnant was not a real worry for her, or so she hoped. Mark had not used a condom and she was not on the pill. But the doctor said she was past those years when he took her off birth control. "No mother I am not pregnant. I have been exposed, but that's not the case."

"Janet don't make light of....of your sexual shenanigans! You should be ashamed of yourself bringing a man into the house and just...well it isn't proper."

"Where is that man, he has 2 minutes, then he'll be in as big a trouble as he can ever imagine!" Janet said to herself more than her mom. "Let me turn off my curling iron before I burn the house down and we have to talk in the street." Janet turned and left.

Just as Janet disappeared down the hall Hilda heard a knock on the door. Without thinking she answered it. To her utter shock and disbelief Mark stood there. In a shushed tone Hilda scolded, "Mark you need to go now!"

"But Mrs. Emerson I was in the area anyway and thought it would be nice to see Janet." Mark was enjoying Hilda's discomfort.

"Mark that yellow car belongs to Janet's new husband. You do need to go, he's due any minute."

Janet came around the corner and found her mother at the door. "Who's at the door mother?"

"Just a...someone asking directions dear."

Janet continued to the door. Stepping up behind her mother she saw Mark. Instantly she knew what was going on. She was a little amused but not all that much. "Mark Parker, just what are you doing?"

Hilda turned to look at her daughter. What could she say?

"You should be ashamed of yourself Mark. Why are you tormenting like this?"

"Janet, it is good to see you again!" Mark smiled.

"Mother I have a confession to make; I want you to meet your new son-in-law with all his inappropriate behavior...sometimes." Janet said as she looked at her husband.

"That is why I came but where...." then it dawned on Hilda. "Do you mean you're married to Mark?"

"Yes mother, I am afraid you will have to learn to put up with him all over again," Janet said as she stepped to Mark and kissed him.

Hilda had a stern look on her face. Without thinking she swung her purse and hit Mark on the opposite shoulder from Janet. "Mark Parker why did you devil me that way! You could have told me when you changed my tire! And then to come to the door like you did!"

"Mom, I can call you mom again can't I?" Hilda didn't answer so he went on. "I told you! When you saw I was married, I told you that you were still my favorite mother-in-law, remember?"

Hilda's face soften into a smile then a laugh. "Why didn't you tell me Janet?"

"Mother it all happened so fast. And then when I thought about it, I wondered how you would react."

Hilda went to her daughter and hugged her. "Janet I am happy for you, I am even glad to see 'him' back. Was it Mark in the bedroom Sunday morning?"

"Guilty mom," Mark held up his hand.

"You will never know how close I came to marching in there and giving you both a piece of my mind. Maybe I should have. I might have been invited to the ceremony."