All Comments on 'Wilde Irish Strawberries'

by Jorunn

Sort by:
  • 10 Comments
Boyd PercyBoyd Percy7 months ago

Very interesting story!

5

Davester37Davester377 months ago

This is great stuff! It’s interesting to consider how cultures have mixed, through the millennia. I appreciate your storytelling. Thank you for writing and thank you for sharing your work.

technofrog2002technofrog20027 months ago

I really enjoy your stories and the historical background. I’ve always had a fascination with Norse history and mythology. Thank you for sharing your talent and your knowledge.

AnonymousAnonymous7 months ago

Excellent history and romance. Looking forward to seeing what happens next.

JorunnJorunn7 months agoAuthor

I left the ending rather vague, and the reader can fill in what they think might happen. It would not be a very romantic story for them to charge into town and get killed by the Danes. Nor would it be historically accurate for them to charge into town and chase the Danes away. The Danes actually fought both the Irish and the Norwegian Vikings and conquered both, with some believing this is what led to the Norwegian Vikings to go to Iceland and Greenland. The most likely ending and the one that fits history, is that the Elin and Eamonn join many other Vikings who intermarried with the Irish. But that would be another story.

JorunnJorunn7 months agoAuthor

Thanks all, for your comments. This is not a typical romance story, and I am glad you enjoyed it.

AnonymousAnonymous6 months ago

I’ve always been told that I was Greek on my mother’s side and English and German on my father’s side. I’ve always been interested in Viking stories. Some time after reading searching-for-amarillo-pt-02 I was persuaded to take a ancestry DNA test. To my surprise I had very little German DNA instead of English I was Irish and instead of Greek I was Turkish but the big surprise was I am 21% Norwegian. That was not even on the radar. I found this out the day before the day before I read Wilde Irish Strawberries. That made that story somewhat personal. I thoroughly enjoyed the story. I know you intended for the readers imagine the ending but I hope you eventually write a second chapter. Love your stories please keep writing and posting here.

JorunnJorunn6 months agoAuthor

Thank you Anonymous. Love hearing your own personal story. Vikings raided over a pretty wide territory and were as well traveled as any group of people. Interesting you point out DNA. I wrote about half of the follow-up story today, and will have it in the Winter Contest. The ending or epilogue is about the discovery of a female grave in Ireland, unusually buried with a sword, and it nicely finishes up the tale. But tracing the DNA leads to a current time waitress in Dublin who, like you, did not know she had a Norwegian ancestor.

AlexFourwaysAlexFourways21 days ago

Jorunn, great story and I must read more of your works. As you know, and your story implies, the English work Viking means 'raider' and was not a specific race. My only comment on language is that you mention 'centimetres' for the strawberry spacing, where the use of 'finger widths' would have fitted better with the other words that have crept into the unruly and aquisitive Anglo Saxon tounge.

JorunnJorunn20 days agoAuthor

Thank you AlexFourways. I do like your historically better description of measurement and will try to use it in future stories. This is the same Elin as mentioned in my latest story - A Maiden-Song. I hope in the future to write another story that will connect that story to Elin's arrival in Ireland.

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous
userJorunn@Jorunn
A poet at heart, and writer of stories; of love, romance and nature's glories. There is some of me in all of my stories. I am a Huldra, a Shield-Maiden, and a Valkyrie. Jorunn Skaldmaer is an historical figure, one of the only known female Skaldic poets, and worked in the ...