Within Pt. 03

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Isabelle." Bernie greeted her cheerfully.

"Hi Bernie. How's business today?"

"Slow but it's Sunday so I wouldn't expect it to be anything but."

"So you wouldn't mind some company?"

"Not at all." He paused. "Is everything alright?"

"I'm fine. I just wanted to look into something and it wouldn't hurt to have an expert's help."

"An expert in what?" He laughed.

"Books."

"What are you looking for?"

"Anything you've got on faeries."

"Why on earth would you want that?"

"Something in that book you sold me piqued my interest."

"And you couldn't find what you need in John's office?"

"I don't go in there." She said quietly.

"Oh." He murmured. "Well I'll see what I can find for you."

"Perfect. I'll see you in a little while."

***********************************

The little town was quiet as she drove down the main street and pulled into a stall in front of the book store. The bell above the door ran out cheerfully as she pushed the door in and slipped inside.

"I'm back here." Bernie called out in greeting.

She made her way through the maze of shelves to the back room. Bernie was there behind a stack of books searching for something on the computer. She reached around the mound of books to set down the coffee she'd picked up for him.

"Find anything interesting?"

"I'm not sure what I'm looking for so I pulled out everything I could think of that might interest you."

"Thank you." She looked at the cover of the top book.

"Is there something in particular that you're looking for?"

She ran her index finger along the spine of the book. "I'm curious if there is a way to contact the faerie queen."

"There maybe a few incantations in a couple of these you can try." He looked up from the screen. "Are you thinking of picking up where John left off?"

Her hand stopped and she took a breath. "No, just curious."

"I'm sorry. I didn't mean—"

"It's okay. I know this is kind of out of the blue."

"It is a little odd yes."

"Do you remember which of these have incantations?" She looked him with a hopeful smile.

"Let me have a quick look." He sorted through the pile quickly pulling out four and setting them aside.

"Do you know much about faeries?"

"I've run across legends about them over the years but I've never studied them no. Why?"

"I was just wondering if they're that different from us."

"I think I'd take anything in these books with a grain of salt. More than likely the authors used a lot of creative license." He smiled. "And who would tell them they're wrong? It's not like faerie are real."

"You're right." She smiled. "Do you mind if I take these out to the reading table? I don't want to take them home if they don't have what I need."

"Sure. I'll come help you search in a minute. I'm just going to send a quick email to an old friend."

She gathered up the books, took them out to the table at the front of the store and then slipped behind the counter to grab a stack of post it's and a pen. Bernie came out after a little while and sat across from her. The two of them sat in a companionable silence as they searched.

After an hour she closed the last book with a little sigh. "It's all pretty vague." She said quietly. "You didn't happen to run across anything about a blue light they emit did you?"

"Blue light?" He eyed her thoughtfully and adjusted the reading glasses perched on the end of his nose. "No, I didn't see anything about any kind of light. Why do you ask?"

"Just something I read somewhere." She waved her hand.

"Let me go see if my friend got back to me." Bernie got up from the table and disappeared into the back room. She waited, looking at the books with a frown. At least she'd tried. She jumped slightly as the older man came back quickly. "You're in luck my dear. An old friend from Cambridge had exactly what you're looking for." He was waving a sheet of paper as he spoke.

"He had an incantation?"

"She did." He smiled and set the paper in front of her.

"That's fantastic!" She looked down quickly and then back up at him. "Tell her I said thank you."

"I already did." He laughed. "You'll tell me if you're successful won't you?"

She smiled. "I'm not going to —"

"Oh please." He leaned closer. "You can't tell me you came in here on a Sunday afternoon, intent on finding this if you're not going to try to make contact with the queen. Just promise me you'll tell me if it works."

"I promise." She looked down. "I should go. It looks like I need to pick up a few things."

"I'll say a prayer for you." He winked as she stood. "It would be amazing if they were actually real."

"Thanks Bernie." She threw her arms around him for a quick hug before hurrying out to her car.

***************************************

She followed the instructions Bernie had printed off to the letter. At dusk a ring of nine candles was lit by the stream, their little flames danced merrily in the slight breeze. She stood back and whispered a little prayer, hoping that everything would go well and she could free Alasdair before the sun set that evening.

Her eyes moved to the spot where they'd spent the night under the stars. It was likely that once he was free he'd be called back to his realm and they'd never see each other again. She hugged the book against her chest.

What's one broken heart if it means he'll be free from all that pain? She thought. No this is the right thing to do.

She took a deep breath, hugged the book a little tighter and whispered the incantation.

At first nothing happened. Isabelle looked around with a disappointed sigh and almost bent down to blow out the candles, but after waiting a few more minutes the clearing began to get lighter. Shimmering images surrounded her sliding in and out of focus.

She blinked rapidly and looked around. The clearing was filling with beautiful winged people. They regarded her with interest until a figure moved from the far side of the clearing on a path that led directly towards Isabelle. The people moved out of her way with bows and curtsies.

Isabelle was so busy gaping at the scene before her she almost forgot to curtsy when the queen stopped in front of her. There was so much color it almost hurt her eyes. It was like someone had cranked up the saturation setting on the clearing and everyone in it.

"Who are you child and why did you call me forth?" The queen's voice was like honey, golden and smooth, with a hint of music hidden in it.

Isabelle looked up from the hem of the queen's sky blue dress. "My name is Isabelle your majesty." She answered softly. "I want to ask for your help."

"Come. Let us speak privately. You can explain what it is you think I can help you with." The queen waved her hand and two male faeries rushed from the edge of the crowd to set chairs behind Isabelle. She tried to look past the crowd to see where they had come from but there were too many people to see anything. The queen waited until Isabelle had started walking towards them before following.

When they were seated the queen waved at the winged people gathered across from them. The crowd melted into the surrounding trees except two blond male faeries. They waited far enough away to respect the privacy the queen had commanded but close enough to come to her aid should Isabelle try to harm her.

"Ah that's better." The queen smoothed her gown and turned to Isabelle.

"Thank you."

"Your majesty." The queen prompted.

"Thank you your majesty."

The queen reached out to pat her arm. "It's alright child. You needn't be afraid."

"I'm sorry your majesty. I've never met royalty before." She smiled shyly.

"And now you have." She smiled brightly. "Now tell me what is this about? We don't have much time, the spell doesn't last long unfortunately."

"Well I have this book." She laid it in her lap, smoothing the cover lovingly. The queen leaned forward with interest. "There's a faerie trapped in it." She looked up at the queen. "I was hoping you could set him free."

"I'm sorry child. I haven't the power to do so."

Isabelle was crestfallen. "Is there any way to help him?"

"Do you care for him?" The queen reached out and put her hand on Isabelle's.

"Yes, your majesty." She whispered and looked down at the book. "He has suffered so much." Her breath caught. "I just want to help him."

The queen smiled. "Perhaps you can."

Isabelle looked up searching the queen's emerald colored eyes. "I don't understand. I thought you said you didn't have the power to."

"I don't." She patted her hand. "But you may." She reached into a pocket and pulled out an amulet with a long silver chain. "I obtained this after we found out what happened to him." She took Isabelle's hand and pressed into her palm gently. "None of us have been able to open it but I think you might be able to."

"Why me?"

"Bernie told me you were asking about the blue light."

Isabelle looked down with a blush. "Wait. You know Bernie?" She looked up with a frown.

"A tale for another time. Our time together is almost finished." The queen said and stood. Isabelle rose. The queen traced one delicate finger right above Isabelle's heart. "I hope you are successful child. Not just for your sake or his. But for—" She waved her hand over Isabelle's belly, stopping for a moment. She smiled widely. "Hers."

Isabelle put her hand over the spot the queen had just waved over. "Her?"

"Congratulations." She cupped Isabelle's shoulder squeezing gently. "When she is old enough she will be welcomed at court."

"Thank you your majesty." Isabelle whispered.

The queen turned to walk towards where the two blond faeries waited, the long waves of her silvery hair swaying slightly between her white wings as she moved. The faerie realm started to fade, blinking in and out of existence.

"Good luck child." The queen's voice floated back to Isabelle.

***************************************

"Mother." The taller of the two faeries greeted her as she reached them. "Who was that woman?"

"That, my sons, was Isabelle. We put the book that holds Alasdair in her hands."

"Do you think she can break the spell?" The other one asked softly.

The queen smiled. "I think she has the best chance we've seen so far."

The taller faerie looked back to where the image of the lovely dark haired human holding the battered leather bound book against her chest was fading.

"Mother is she worth getting our hopes up again?"

"Malin, how can you say that?" The taller one asked.

"Because, how many times have we been disappointed in the past?"

The queen's green eyes turned stormy as she leveled her gaze on Malin. "Haelan is right. You will pray to the stars that woman can figure out how to break that spell and your brother is finally freed from his prison." The queen turned away with a swirl of silky fabric and left them.

12