Woman in Love Ch. 04

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Your Iron Crowbar: "So let's further hypothesize that the remaining living Rogue Team members know this. And they know that the threat over their friend Trent's child hangs above Amber like the Sword of Damocles. So what do they do about it? They work with Amber, and maybe Bettina and others in KXTC, to get proof of Betty Morelli's baby's DNA. At best, they'd have a stalemate of sorts. At worst, they'd try to bring the Feds back into the picture against me."

Your Iron Crowbar: "And how to do that, get a DNA test of Betty's baby? Why, by forcing the adoptive mother of Betty's child to submit the child to a DNA test. How to do that? Well, they'd have trouble kidnapping the baby or her mother... green crowbar beatdowns hurt, and that statement is not hypothetical. But if they kidnapped someone near and dear to the adoptive mother? Ahhh, that might work a little better."

"Ergo," I finished up, "because I know things that some of you know, but none of you knew completely, I am able to see that what happened today was an attempt to kidnap Callie Carrington as opposed to killing her, and by the grace of God and the Universe, Tim Jenkins just happened to get in the way, and saved her at great cost to himself."

You could've heard a pin drop for a full fifteen seconds. Then Jack Muscone broke the silence.

"Four hundred years ago." he said, shaking his head in disbelief.

"Only you could have put all that together, Don." said Karina White admiringly. A lot of people nodded vigorously in agreement.

"So what now?" Teresa asked. "Cindy, Callie, and Betsy are all still in danger."

Laura replied "As are our kids, and your kids as well, Teresa. And Marie. And maybe even the Muscone kids, and Pete?"

"And Daniel and Melina's children." I said. "The kids being potential targets is nothing new, and we have pretty good safeguards around them. And the best way to protect them is to find these bastards and take them out."

EAD Owen Lange said "And like I said before, that's our priority mission right now. Of course you'll be working on it, also, and I welcome a joint effort."

Teresa said "I want to know what role Amber Harris and her colleagues of the God-cursed Media have played in this. If you're right, Commander, and I will never bet a hundred dollars against you being right, then they're hip deep in this sh--- er, crap."

Her hundred-dollar bet remark was directed at the Federal Agents, who were known to have foolishly made bets in the past against me being right about things.

"How is the Media invollllllved in this?" Chief Moynahan asked, a bit sharply.

I came to Teresa's rescue: "It's more specifically KXTC Chief." I said. "Amber, Bettina, that slug Holder, and Burt West..."

And then it hit me, a thought that slapped me upside the head so hard it left me speechless for a moment...

"He's gone." said Tanya. "Reverie time. And I feel sorry for some perps when he comes out of it..."

Part 23 - Lack of Understanding

"This is Bettina Wurtzburg, KXTC Channel Two News!" shouted the redheaded MILF reporterette at 7:00am, Tuesday, May 26th, from the rooftop at the corner of Riverside and College, with City Hall in the background. "The Police Union demands that Commander Donald Troy be fired, as well as the reinstatement of a suspended Police Officer!"

Bettina began: "Officer Justin Hendricks was suspended without pay as part of the incident where Commander Troy assaulted Police Sergeant McCombs during a lawful stop-and-frisk incident. Officer Hendricks drew his service weapon to protect Sergeant McCombs, and was subdued and arrested by other Officers. The Police Union is demanding his immediate reinstatement and back pay.

Bettina: "The Union had demanded a Board of Inquest against Commander Troy, but Inspector General Horace S. Wellman refused to convene one, citing that he had already made a finding in the case that Commander Troy acted correctly and Sergeant McCombs had acted criminally, as well as committing a hate crime. The Union is now demanding Commander Donald Troy be fired for assaulting Sergeant McCombs, and their spokesman said they are prepared to file lawsuits against the TCPD and Commander Troy personally if he is not fired."

Bettina: "And in a related story, the Union and attorneys for Sergeant McCombs have demanded that his criminal trial for attempted murder be moved up, saying that his Constitutional right to a fair and speedy trial was being infringed. Sergeant McCombs has been denied bail, and his formal termination from the TCPD was stayed by Superior Court Judge Harry R. Nance."

Bettina: "And now let's go to our colleague Tim Sioban of KSB News with a Statewide report on the peaceful demonstrations protesting white Police brutality against People of Color. Tim!"

"That's right, Bettina!" said Tim Sioban. "Peaceful protests continued in The City despite deeply unpopular Governor Val Jared sending National Guardsmen to stop them."

It was made to look 'live', but it was a taped segment by Sioban that followed. He said "Hundreds marched down streets in the Ferguson Park district over the weekend, many carrying signs with the faces of Kenneth Taylor and other blacks that have died at the hands of white Police in the past few weeks. The protests remained peaceful through the night, though many of the protesters went home." Empty nighttime streets were shown.

Sioban: "Political leaders in Wilmington, Delaware complained that the FBI has been snatching peaceful demonstrators off the streets and torturing them in secret locations. The political leaders blame White Nationalists within the FBI and the Federal Government for this abuse of peaceful citizens simply exercising their rights."

Back to Sioban live: "Reports that National Guard troops have been inserted into the City by Governor Jared have been denied by City leaders, who are claiming victory and spiking the football by saying Governor Jared backed down, cowed by the legal threats against him if he did deploy troops. Back to you, Bettina."

"Thank you, Tim!" said Bettina. "And yesterday, planned ceremonies at the War Memorial at the cemetery were canceled when a large number of protesters massed and marched towards the cemetery. Police did not allow the protesters to enter the cemetery grounds, but otherwise did not interfere with the peaceful protests..."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

"Wow." said Teresa Croyle as we drank coffee in the Chief's Conference Room, "an FBI Agent is lying wounded in a bed at University Hospital, and KXTC doesn't even say one word about it."

"Old news, maybe?" asked Chief Moynahan.

"I'll bet KFXU Fox Eight News mentions it." I said. My bet offer was not taken by anyone.

"How is Tim doing?" Teresa asked, mostly to Cindy Ross.

"Very well." Cindy said. "Much better than anyone expected. He's awake, and they're already having him do those cursed breathing exercises. He can talk a little bit, but not too much."

"That's good." Tanya Muscone said. "So... no Board of Inquest for you, Commander Troy?"

I shrugged my shoulders, then said "That was more Fake News from the dishonest Bettina Wurtzburg and KXTC. The I.G. did not summarily dismiss having an Inquest Board, but he told the Union that there was no point in having one until McCombs's criminal charges are adjudicated. That prompted the Union to ask for McCombs's trial to be moved up, and it'll probably happen in early-to-mid June. The lawsuits against the TCPD and me are the same old ones, as far as I know."

"And the Hendricks issue?" Teresa asked.

Chief Moynahan said "The Union did demand that the pay he would've received if he weren't suspended be put in escrow pending adjudication of his grievance. That, and everything else, will be based upon McCombs's criminal trial. If he's found guilty, then Hendricks's actions were also unlawful and insubordinate, and Hendricks will be gone. If McCombs is not found guilty, it is likely Hendricks will evade punishment."

"What about McElwane?" asked Tanya Muscone.

"That's sitting there with the rest of it all." said Moynahan. "I was ready to concede it, and agree that asking for a Union Rep would be treated like a perp asking for a lawyer, but the Union won't separate it from the other crappolaaaa."

"Sheriff," I asked, "I could have sworn the Governor did deploy the Guard to The City. What was Sioban's reporting about?"

"Mr. Sioban just declined to mention that the Guard's presence is why the protesters are going home for the night." growled Griswold. "They suddenly have been standing down and ratcheting down the violence. Obviously they're organized, and are being coached in that response, to make sure Val doesn't look good crushing them."

"If it stops the violence..." Cindy said, deliberately not finishing the sentence.

"Speaking of that," said Tanya, "what happened at the cemetery? The Police reports don't seem to say too much."

I said "The Veterans of the American Legion were going to have a ceremony at the Memorial at the cemetery. Nothing big, just presenting a wreath, playing 'Taps'. And then a couple hundred Haters in Antifa shirts began marching down MLK Jr. Avenue to University Highway, chanting anti-military slogans. The organizer, who was in the front line of the protesters, was Dr. Lionel Carmela. They were not allowed to get to the cemetery, but the ceremony was called off and the Vets were evacuated, just in case."

Teresa was shaking her head. "Do those thugs respect anything at all?"

"No." I said. "They don't. They want to destroy the Constitution, which makes their existence and free speech and freedom of assembly rights possible. I would say I can't wait to see what happens when they get their wish, then are slaughtered en masse by the Government Guns of the Totalitarian State that they helped create... but that would mean my children would be in that Totalitarian State, and I don't want that for my kids..."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Catrina and Meredith did mention Tim Jenkins being wounded in the Nextdoor County incident, and that the Nextdoor County Police and FBI had no leads, as it was early in the investigation.

Afterwards, we had the Angels Meeting, including Cindy. "Okay," I said, "first the important news. I'm going to toot my own horn on my prescience in the Police Boxing Matches brackets. Not a single upset yet, in the Boxing or Freestyle Divisions."

Teresa said "It was close with Julia Rodriguez, though. The youngest guy on the SWAT Team, Taylor Hawley, took her almost to the end of the third round, and he only lost when he slipped and fell."

I said "I was watching Joan Laurer destroy another SWAT guy, Eric Donald. I want to know which one of you has been training her. If we could compete, she'd be right up there with us." None of my Angels would admit to it, and it is not a lie to withhold the truth.

"Okay, then." I said. "One more week of school, and then we can keep all the kids in one place, preferrably The Cabin. Until then, Eastside Elementary looks like the 3rd Precinct that Reginald B.F. Lewis always wanted, what with all the Patrol cruisers in that area. The rest of the kids are at The Cabin with Maggie and my mom, who came down from Apple Grove over the weekend, and Laura is keeping Betsy in her office, since she has no more classes."

Teresa said "Every patrol is on high alert to catch these guys. We've told them they're the suspects in the Jenkins shooting, but we haven't told them specifics of the threat against our families. Myron Milton is keeping track of Bettina via that tracking device you put on her car, and our patrols have been told to take particular notice of any KXTC News vehicles. But I don't think watching them will mitigate the threat."

"I agree." Cindy said. "There's only one solution for them."

"Let's not speak out loud of those things, though I totally agree with you." I said. "But to that subject, I happen to know that Amber is working with attorney Gwen Munson to file a complaint about you going in with the Parole Officers."

"Tough shit." Teresa said. "She's on parole. She has no rights. At all."

I said "I'm not an attorney, and I don't play one on TV, but I got word that Munson filed papers in the Court of Harry R. Nance. She's complained about TCPD Officers going on visits with the Parole Officers, but she also made an offer to the judge on Amber's behalf... six months in prison again, and no parole afterwards. Further word I have is that District Attorney Miriam Walters has signed off on that new 'plea deal' of sorts. After that, Amber will be free."

You get one guess where my information came from, and it'd better be 'Paulina Patterson'.

"Wow, what is going on with Walters?" Tanya asked.

"She's pissed at Don." Cindy said. "In a fit of pique, he pointed out to Savannah that Miriam was sabotaging Savannah's campaign. Franklin Washington took leave from the D.A.'s Office to get away from Miriam, and now Miriam is in talks with Jenna Stiles to work with our D.A.'s Office to fill in."

"Walters should show more respect." I said. "She did me dirty, and she did the Chief dirty, too." Cindy said nothing in response, but I could feel the vibe that she was not happy... with me.

"At least you got Paulina as the Prosecutor in the McCombs trial." Tanya said.

"How'd you know that?" I asked.

"She's already contacted me about data for her case." Tanya said.

I nodded. "Okay than. Commander Ross, would you please excuse us? I have some business to take care of."

"I'm heading to the Hospital." Cindy said. "I'll see you guys after lunch." She got up and left. I bored in on Tanya.

"I'd stand at attention if I could." said Tanya, know what was coming. "I submit myself for disciplinary action."

"And that is what is about to happen." I said. "Do you want a Union Rep?"

"No sir." said Tanya.

"Are you good with Commander Croyle as the formal witness?" I said.

"Yes sir." Tanya said. I pulled out two file folders and placed them side-by-side on my desk.

"I have here two file folders." I said. "I am going to open only one of them. One contains a formal reprimand for your failure to implement my direct orders in a timely manner, and also contains a reprimand for your objection to my decision to excuse the Miltons from a meeting that included Federal Agents. "

I continued: "The other contains an assignment naming you as the TCPD's official liaison to the FBI in the Town & County and also their City office. You don't necessarily have to contact your husband, but it will be your duty to contact and work with the FBI upon those occasions the Sheriff, Chief, or I instruct you to."

Tanya said "I think I want that Union Rep. I object to your reprimand over the situation with the Miltons. I am Lieutenant Mary Milton's direct boss, and I believe that if I order her into a meeting with Federal Agents, it is her duty to attend, and also work with those Federal Agents when I ask her to. I believe you were wrong to override me on that."

"Have you forgotten," I said angrily, "that FBI Agents beat Myron Milton's father almost to death? I also have a lot of reasons to not work with any Federal Agents, but I continue to work with Jack's team because he's a good guy and his team are good people. But I definitely understand Myron and Mary's objections, and since I don't want to lose them by seeing them resign rather than be forced to work with the FBI, I'll make that decision and I'll override your objection every time."

Tanya: "I will add that for you to demand I put myself in a situation I've objected to many times, of using my personal relationship with my now-husband as a crutch, for lack of a better term, is no different, and is hypocrisy on your part, especially if you want to force me to formalize it as this 'liaison' to the FBI."

"Sounds like you've made your choice." I said, opening one of the file folders, and signed the sheets of paper, then handed one copy to Tanya. "You have the right to go to the Union, but since you declined a Rep earlier, I'm imposing this now. I'll take into account your objection to being the Fed liaison due to your personal relationship with your husband. But I will not tolerate it if you attempt to force the Miltons to work with Federal Agents, and a further conflict along these lines could lead to further formal action... up to and including your dismissal from the Town & County Police Force. A formal reprimand will appear on your record. You are dismissed."

Teresa opened the door and Tanya drove through it, not looking back. Teresa closed the door, then returned to 'her' hot seat, the one furthest from the door and nearest the bulliten board to the right side of my desk.

"I'm not sure I understand why she was trying to force Mary Milton to work directly with the Feds." Teresa said. "Mary does her job; she just doesn't want to meet with them."

I said "I have a strong hunch... a 'vibe', if you will... that Tanya takes the Miltons's refusal to work with the FBI as a personal insult against Jack, and therefore a personal affront to her. And while I love Tanya to death, for her to leave for the FBI would be less damaging to the TCPD than having the Miltons leave."

Teresa said "I understand. It must've been hard for you to have to do that, reprimand her that way. At the same time, she deserved it. She didn't contact Jack and get Tim and Callie separated in time."

I sat back in my chair, and spoke in a more musing voice: "Ultimately, as long as Tim doesn't die, that might've worked out for the best. If she had called Jack, and in time, then Tim likely doesn't get shot... but the perps would still be out there trying to kidnap Callie... or may have already."

I went on: "And I probably should be more angry at Muscone than at Tanya. After all, he's the one that followed her crappy advice and put Tim and Callie together like that."

Teresa said "That was going to blow up in our faces, anyway. And it could've ended up splitting Callie and Cindy apart forever. At least now, they have a chance to find happiness together. And I definitely can talk about how hard it is to find happiness..."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Meanwhile...

Callie Carrington came into Tim Jenkins's hospital room as the nurse finished doing nursing things. "He's awake, but don't stay longer than five minutes." the nurse said. Callie nodded.

Tim's neck was braced to keep it still, but his eyes cut over to Callie. "Glad... you're okay." he whispered, not knowing until now if she'd survived the attack.

"I have you to thank for it." Callie said. "You saved my life. I'm grateful to you... for that." Tim tried to nod, but it was virtually impossible.

"I don't understand one thing." Callie said. "You could've let them kidnap me, or shoot me. Why did you save me? You would've had Cindy all to yourself."

Tim's eyes got a strange look, then he whispered: "You're... right... you don't... under...stand... Cindy... and I... are close... but she is in love... with you... I took... the bullets... because... it would... break her heart... to lose you... Don't blow... what you have... with her..."

Callie nodded, and saw that Tim's eyes were flagging shut. "I won't. Thank you again." She left the room and returned to the waiting room.

Some minutes later, Cindy came in and sat down next to Callie. "The nurse said he's doing a lot better, and that you went in to see him."

Callie nodded, seemingly a million miles away. "I thanked him for saving me. He said for me... he said don't blow what I have with you."

"Heyyy, give me a hug." Cindy said. Callie did, and her hug was more like grabbing a lifeline. Cindy did not mind holding her fiancée up, both physically and mentally.

"Well!" said a scratchy voice underneath a shock of white hair. "I'm sorry to intrude upon this touching moment..."