Words from a Country Song Ch. 02

Story Info
Next Thing You Know.
3.5k words
4.8
2k
2

Part 2 of the 6 part series

Updated 01/21/2024
Created 09/17/2023
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
Jalibar62
Jalibar62
444 Followers

This is my second attempt at turning a country song into a short story.

This one is based on the song "Next Thing You Know." It was written by Josh Osborne, Chase McGill, Jordan Davis, and Greylan James, and recorded by Jordan Davis. All credit to them.

Next Thing You Know

♫ ♬ ♫ ♬ ♫ ♬

"Shut the hell up, Mason, I'm not even close to thinkin' about getting married!" I shook my head as I took another pull on my beer. I looked at my other two friends. "Joe? Gary? You're with me on this, right?"

Those two idiots were like Switzerland, not saying a word. They were staying out if it.

Mason continued, as he peered contemplatively into his glass. "I'm just sayin', man. It's worked out great for me so far! Don't knock it til you try it!"

"Dude! It's not like a new fishing rod that you can try out and then take it back if you don't like it! Besides, after..."

"She Who Shall Not Be Named," intoned Joe and Gary, and clinked their beer bottles together.

I glared at them. "Yeah, her. I'm not itchin' to get back into anything."

Mason took a pull on his drink, shrugging his shoulders good-naturedly. "Okay, man, whatever you say."

Despite my protestations, I surreptitiously stole a glance at the very cute girl who was sitting with a group of girlfriends a few tables over. It was my peeking at her that got Mason started in the first place.

She caught me this time, and smiled, looking down, and tucked a strand of wavy blonde hair behind one ear, and I felt my pulse accelerate. She looked back up and busted me again. Damn, was I in high school? I gave her my best grin and shrugged, and she crossed her eyes at me and stuck out her tongue.

I couldn't help it; I laughed out loud, picked up my beer, and made my way over. I ignored the catcalls from my friends.

It felt like no time at all when the lights came on in the bar. I sat back in mild surprise and looked at my phone. "Wow, 2 a.m.?" I gazed at Karen, who was still chuckling over a story I had just finished telling. Our friends were all long gone - I had a vague recollection of them checking with us before heading out - and now it was just the two of us.

She looked at me. "Oh crap, how am I gonna get home? I rode with my girlfriends; I guess I need to talk to them about leaving me with someone I just met! Even if I was ignoring them." She blushed.

"My friends bailed too," I laughed. "They're gonna give me hell tomorrow!"

"Mine too," she agreed.

"Umm, I can give you a ride, or I'll call you an Uber if you'd feel more comfortable?"

"No offense, but..."

"None taken, I promise."

We stood out front, casually chatting, until her ride showed up.

"Umm... I had a really good time."

"Me too," she said, a little shyly.

"Would you..." I began.

"Here, give me your phone," she smiled.

N T Y K

We were out on the lake. Earlier in the week, I had asked Karen if she minded me going fishing with the guys, and she had kissed me and told me to have fun, and that she'd probably go visit her mom.

Now they were razzing me again.

"Dude, why would you ask me that?" We've only been dating for three months! She is NOT moving in!"

"Keep telling yourself that, man. Seriously, how much time does she spend there now?"

I started to get aggravated, and he saw. He held his hand up in the universal 'stop' gesture.

"No, no, no, I mean that as a good thing! Seriously, we all think she's awesome."

"Yeah," I agreed. "She really is."

The issue was, he wasn't wrong. After that first night at the bar, I had waited all of five minutes to text her.

> Let me know when you're home safe?

> Ok!

Then about 20 minutes later, my phone pinged.

> I'm home! <smiley face>

> Good night, sleep well, beautiful!

> Aww. Thank you! Night.

We went out again the next weekend, and I got a nice lips-only kiss goodnight. Then we had lunch three days later. Then dinner that Friday. Then I picked her up early and took her to breakfast and the farmer's market the next morning, and after an interminable four hours apart we went back to what was becoming 'our' bar for drinks and dancing and hanging out with our friends. Mine and hers. Mason and his wife got a sitter and they both came, and we had a great time.

What I'm getting at is that we were becoming inseparable, and three weeks later, she spent the night. I gave her one of my old T-shirts to sleep in, and that's what we did. Slept. But the next night... and after that, she kinda stayed.

N T Y K

We recruited her friends and mine to help her move. After some discussion, we decided that my apartment made more sense. It was bigger, and closer to both our jobs.

Now Karen and I were laughing, watching them bicker over how to properly wrap and box up her valuables and load them safely into the U-Haul trailer that was hitched to my truck.

"Come on honey, let's go break it up before there's a fistfight. Mason will never live it down if he gets beat up by a girl."

"I heard that!"

♫ ♬ ♫ ♬ ♫ ♬

"There, I think that's the last of it." I dramatically brushed my hands together, then put one arm around her waist, looking at what used to be my old apartment. What was now our new place.

"I can't believe we're doing this," she whispered, snuggling against my side.

"Not having second thoughts, are you?" I asked, just a tad worriedly.

She saw it in my eyes too, because she hugged me fiercely. "Never."

Then, giving me that smile, the one that melts my heart every time, she said, "Come on, let's christen the bedroom."

The next morning, we were sitting at the kitchen table, having breakfast. She had her feet in my lap, and I was pressing my thumbs into the arch of her foot.

"Ohhh, so good!" she moaned. "I think I'll keep you!"

"Your kept man, huh?" I grinned at her. "I think I like that idea."

"That carpet, on the other hand..." she smirked, then shuddered theatrically.

"Whatever you want, honey," I laughed.

When her gaze wandered into the living room and settled on Elmer, I backtracked. "Whatever you want within reason, darlin'" I chuckled.

Elmer was a 10-point buck that I'd gotten with my dad, the last time he was able to go hunting, and as a gift, he'd mounted the head for me. Elmer was staying.

N T Y K

"Jared, what's goin' on, man? I know you're all in love and shit but we don't hardly see you. How come you aren't hangin' out?"

"Sorry guys, I'm just tryin' to save up a little money; workin' on a surprise for Karen."

Okay, my friends might be idiots, but they weren't stupid.

"Uh huh. What might that be?"

"I'm not tellin' you, y'all would ruin it for sure."

"Somethin' round and sparkly and fits in a little box, maybe?"

"You guys are assholes."

"That's not a no!"

♫ ♬ ♫ ♬ ♫ ♬

"Come on babe, we're gonna be late!" Karen hollered from the kitchen.

We were having supper with Karen's mother, something we did nearly every Sunday.

"Coming," I shouted. Just needed to grab something quick.

Once downstairs, I gave her a kiss. "Sorry, I'm ready to go. What do you need me to do?"

"Just carry this to the car, baby." She handed me a pie keeper.

I put my face close to the container and took a big sniff.

"Mmm, peach-pecan?"

Karen smirked. "I know what you like."

"You get another kiss for that," I smiled.

When we got there, oh my goodness, the smells that were coming from her momma's kitchen! Damn, that woman could cook and she was teaching Karen everything she knew.

She smacked my hand with a wooden spoon though, when I tried to sneak a taste. I shook my hand, laughing, and she waggled the spoon at me. But she was laughing too.

A while later, I sat back in my chair. "Miz O'Conner, that was fantastic, as always. And your pie was to die for, sweetheart!"

"Aww, thank you!" she smiled, showing her dimples. "I got the dishes, Momma. Why don't you and Jared take your coffee out to the porch?"

"That sounds fine. Thank you, dear."

We sat companionably for a few minutes, just enjoying the evening. I might have joggled my coffee cup once or twice.

"Spit it out, Jared," she finally said dryly.

"Huh?"

"Oh come on now, I can tell you're as nervous as a whore in church."

If I'd had any coffee in my mouth, I'd have spit it across the porch.

Instead, I just said, "Yes ma'am, I reckon you're right about that."

She chuckled. "What's on your mind?"

"I'm guessin' you already figured it out, haven't you?" Deep breath. "I wanted to ask your blessing to marry Karen. Well, to ask her, anyway. I just pray she don't say 'no.'"

"Oh honey, of course, you have it. I wouldn't worry too much; that girl loves you to pieces. And I'd be proud to call you 'son.'"

I got up and leaned over to hug her. "Thank you."

She stood as well and patted me on the arm. "Stay right here, and I'll send her out." She went up on tiptoe, kissed my cheek, smiled, and went inside.

I heard, faintly, "Karen, sweetie, can you come out here a minute please?"

What I didn't see, but Karen told me later, was her mother giving her a long hug and a kiss on the forehead.

"What was that for, Momma?"

"No reason. Love you, sweetheart. Go on outside and sit with your young man."

"Love you too, Momma," Karen replied, a little bemused. But she went out to the porch as asked.

A moment later, I heard that squeaky hinge as the screen door opened.

"Jared, what in the world are you doin' down there—" then her eyes went wide when she saw me down on one knee, there on her momma's porch, the box held out to her.

She screamed and jumped on me, shouting "YES!" before I could even start my speech!

N T Y K

"To the bride and groom!" Mason shouted, holding his glass up.

"The bride and groom!" the room shouted back.

He'd managed to refrain from embarrassing me too much during his half-drunk rambling speech, but I knew he meant well.

Karen and I danced. We stared into each other's eyes and it was like there was no one else in the room.

My mom teared up just a little. "I'm so proud of you, Jared. She's a treasure."

My dad was a little more blunt. "Don't screw it up, son."

"That's the plan, Dad."

The next day we were in Destin.

The weather was perfect. The sand was soft and white, and the gulf was warm and crystal clear.

I couldn't take my eyes off her in her little bikini. We wound up staying on the beach for too long and were just a couple of shades past pink when we got back to the room. A giggly session of applying aloe to each other led to very careful lovemaking.

I was lying on my back, and my new bride was resting her head on my shoulder, on hand idly stroking my chest. I held my left hand up and stared at the heavy gold ring on my third finger.

She whispered, "Penny for your thoughts?"

I turned and pulled her close. "That I'm the luckiest SOB there is."

N T Y K

It was coming up on our third anniversary, and I was debating on an anniversary gift. Traditionally, the third anniversary was leather, and I was thinking I could get her a new purse, or a nice jacket.

On the other hand, the contemporary gift was crystal, and I could get her something special from Swarovski. Decisions, decisions.

I finally gave up and decided to get both! But before I could do anything about it, my phone rang.

"Hey baby, what's up? I was just thinking about you."

Her voice sounded a little shaky. "Can you come home, Jared?"

"Uhh... yeah, I think so... what's wrong, sweetie?"

"Just come home, okay?"

"You're scaring me, Karen."

"Oh! Sorry, I didn't mean to. It's nothing bad, I promise. I just really need you."

Despite her assurances, I may have bent a few traffic laws making my way home. I hurried into the house.

"Karen? I'm home, where are you?"

"K-kitchen, honey..." Was she crying?

I almost ran to her. She was crying, standing by the sink.

In two strides, I had her in my arms. "What is it, baby? What's the matter?"

She just pointed. My eyes traveled down her arm, past her finger, to... what was that, lying on the counter? Was that... a test kit?

My gaze lifted slowly back to her face. I'm sure my eyes were wide. She was still crying, but she was smiling, and nodding through her tears.

"You're pregnant?" I could hardly say the words, I was so scared. Or was it excitement? I decided maybe it was both.

"WE are pregnant," she said fiercely, and threw her arms around my neck.

♫ ♬ ♫ ♬ ♫ ♬

"I feel ridiculous in this stupid hat," I complained. But mostly to cover up my nerves. Despite her discomfort, my wife saw right through me.

"Suck it up, you big dummy. Now please can you do that massage thing they showed us in Lamaze?"

I could, and I did.

The contractions got closer together, and Karen said a few things that I know she didn't really mean. When the doc finally came in, she smiled, and said, "How you doin' there, dad?"

I gave her a tired, lopsided grin and kinda rocked my hand side to side. "Don't worry about me, Doc."

She nodded and took a look. "Everything looks good; shouldn't be long now."

Sure enough, before I knew it, the nurse laid our new baby girl on Karen's chest. I told her, "You did so good, baby. You've never been more beautiful than you are right now."

She had tears in her eyes as she looked at me, then back down at our daughter.

"I want to call her 'Erin.'"

"That's perfect," I agreed and kissed her gently.

I drove ten miles under the speed limit all the way home. Precious cargo.

N T Y K

"Wait, what? Why is this the first I'm hearing about this?" I demanded.

My wife rolled her eyes. "I told you a week ago, Jared. Erin is going on her first date!"

I scratched my head. I vaguely remembered now. I guess my brain had shut down when she told me. No way was my baby old enough to date!

"She's only sixteen!"

Karen laughed. She laughed at me! "I was fifteen when I went on my first date." She shook her head.

Erin had her arms crossed and was glaring at me.

"Well, who is this boy? Do we know his parents? Where are you going? What--"

"Daddy!" my daughter threw her hands up and stomped off.

I looked at Karen. "I know," I sighed, and walked after my daughter. I knocked softly on her door.

"Honey, can I please come in?"

I heard a murmured assent and cautiously entered Erin's room.

She was sitting on the edge of her bed, kicking her feet and looking at me sadly.

I sat beside her. "I'm sorry, punkin'," I whispered as I put my arm around her and kissed her on top of her head. "You're growin' up so damn fast, I can't keep up! I see you and I still remember you takin' your first steps on Grandma's porch."

"I'll always be your little girl, Daddy. But... you gotta let me grow up, don'cha?" She looked up at me with her momma's eyes.

I wiped at some dust in my eye. "Reckon so, baby. Reckon so. But I don't have to like it," I pretended to scowl at her.

She giggled, wrapped her arms around my waist, and squeezed. "Love you, Daddy."

"Love you more, honey. But home by 11, okay?"

♫ ♬ ♫ ♬ ♫ ♬

"Oh my God Daddy, this is too much!" my daughter gushed; looking at the almost new SUV in the driveway.

"Well if you're going across the country, I want you to be safe." I harrumphed.

Erin was very involved with the drama club all through school. Not acting so much; she was more interested in production and directing. She argued that USC had one of the best programs in the country, and it was hard to refute her logic. Especially when she got a partial scholarship. It was just so damn far away!

Karen had whispered, "I'm going to miss her every bit as much as you, honey. But she's a good kid, and has a good head on her shoulders."

"Damn it, I hate when you're right," I hugged her tight. "And no, I ain't cryin'."

She laughed softly, head against my chest. "I know, sweetheart, I know."

N T Y K

Karen cried in my arms after we dropped our baby off at her dorm. We had helped her drive 2,000 miles across the country. We took our time and saw a few sites, but it had come to an end and now we were flying home. The seatbelt sign came off, and she crawled over so we could put our arms around each other.

We fell asleep on the plane, holding each other. Of course we didn't know it, but the stewardess had the softest little smile, watchin' us. Hoping that one day she would find someone to love like that.

When we got back home, I think both of us kinda moped around, missin' our baby, and how empty the house felt, without the sound of her voice. We talked to her on the phone and did video chat, but it just wasn't the same.

One evening about a week after Erin left for school, we were trying to watch some program on TV, and neither of us were paying attention, really. I looked over and she was lookin' off into space, and her lip was trembling just the tiniest bit.

"Sweetheart?"

Well, she jumped a bit, then took a breath, trying to get herself together. "What is it, honey?"

I turned sideways on the sofa and reached for her hand. "Baby, remember that trip to Aruba that we always talked about, but there always seemed to be somethin', usually Erin-related, that came up and made us put it off?"

She nodded.

I got up and went to my office, and came back with an envelope, which I handed to her. "Nothin' to stop us from going now, baby. Time we got to know each other again; what do you say?"

Well, let me tell you. If I can get my wife to smile like that just once more in my life, I'll count myself a lucky man. But I'll never stop trying!

We spent two weeks on the beach, just relaxing, reminiscing, and yes, talking about the future. And I still couldn't take my eyes off her in her bikini. I think we were more in love by the end of that vacation than we've ever been.

Sure, we missed our girl, but it was different now. It was just the next phase in our lives, and we knew we would always have each other.

N T Y K

We sat together on the patio, holding hands, as Erin came and flopped down beside us. She looked at us and asked, "Do you two ever stop touching?" she smirked.

I looked into my wife's eyes, as she said, "Once in a while," and smiled at our daughter.

She shook her head, then looked out into the backyard as her two kids raced after each other in some game that only they knew the rules to. Our son-in-law was out there too, playing umpire, I think.

We had gotten back from church earlier, then had a picnic of sorts; hotdogs, hamburgers, and elotes on the grill, and Karen made her famous potato salad. I laughed at Erin's frustration when she said she tried over and over but couldn't quite get it to taste like her mom's.

Then my grandson wrangled a promise out of me to take him and his sister fishing the next weekend. I pretended to huff and puff about it, but I couldn't be more tickled. It was a chance to spend the day telling them stories, but it was so much more than that. To paraphrase Trace Adkins, "They think we're just fishin'."

I squeezed Karen's hand as I said to my daughter, "I remember when that was you, punkin'. Feels like yesterday."

She smiled too. "I remember, Daddy."

♫ ♬ ♫ ♬ ♫ ♬

Jalibar62
Jalibar62
444 Followers