Words from a Country Song Ch. 03

Story Info
I Don't Care.
828 words
4.6
1.6k
1

Part 3 of the 6 part series

Updated 01/21/2024
Created 09/17/2023
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
Jalibar62
Jalibar62
450 Followers

Words from a Country Song - Chapter 3

This one is based on the song "I Don't Care." It was written by Dean Dillon and Pam Belford, and was recorded by Blake Shelton. All credit to them.

Just for the added challenge, this one is also 750 words, not counting this introduction.

Thanks to SCWMen for the suggestion. If you have requests of your own, put 'em in comments or contact me through the site!

I Don't Care

♫ ♬ ♫ ♬ ♫ ♬

I was stopped at the light, frozen. I couldn't believe what I was seeing. I mean, we hadn't even broken up! Had we? It was just... a conversation that I didn't even understand. She needed some time. Time for what?

Time to spend with other guys, based on what I was looking at through my window. Damn, she sure didn't waste a minute. I think what pissed me off the most was how happy she looked. She was laughing and chatting so easily with him, her arm tucked in his, smiling up at him as they strolled down the street, peering into the shop windows.

My knuckles were white on the steering wheel, and I thought about jumping out of the car and confronting them... her... but I didn't. I felt the coldness come over me. She clearly didn't want me anymore, so why should it matter to me? That asshole can have her; I don't care.

The car behind me honked impatiently, and I hit the gas.

♫ ♬ ♫ ♬ ♫ ♬

Just driving around aimlessly. When I checked the time, it was about ten o'clock. You ever been so lost... trapped... in your thoughts that you don't know how you got somewhere? I was surprised to find myself driving past her place, and my fears were confirmed. I guess I should have known; there was a strange car in her driveway. Had to be him.

Damn it, I could feel the urge to pull in behind him, pound on the door, give her a piece of my mind. So, how's your "time" working out? Great for you, I see. Well, you can have all the time you want now. I have no more time for you. Then I remembered that I didn't care. What the hell is going on inside my head? It's like my mind is split in two. Why the hell am I driving so far out of my way when she does not matter?

I said it before, he can have her. I don't care!

♫ ♬ ♫ ♬ ♫ ♬

Still driving. There was nothing for me at home. I didn't really want to go back to that empty house, and I sure as hell didn't want to be anywhere near her anymore. Why does she keep creeping back into my thoughts? I didn't care! Did I?

But... I couldn't just drive around all night. So a couple of hours later, I arrived at my place. I dropped my keys on the floor; who cares? I trudged into the kitchen, grabbed a beer from the fridge, and slumped in a chair. I pitched the bottle cap at the trash can and missed. I left it on the floor. Who cares?

Then I saw it. Now call me old-fashioned; call me sentimental, but I still have my landline and the old answering machine that was my dad's. What I saw was, that red light was blinkin'. I remembered my cell was turned off.

I stood there, debating, my heart beating fast. Play. Erase. Play. Erase. Damnit, I don't care! Or do I?

My finger wavered back and forth, then... I pressed 'Play.'

♫ ♬ ♫ ♬ ♫ ♬

"Hi, baby. I'm so sorry about everything; for the way I handled things. I know I said I needed time, but the truth is, I was just scared, and I didn't know how to deal with it. Things were moving a little too fast and I freaked. I know I hurt you, and I'm so sorry. I called my brother, and we walked around town a little, and he talked some sense into me, I guess. Anyway, I feel a whole lot better. I know it doesn't excuse how I treated you. He just left, and now I'm calling you to tell you I'm sorry and I miss you and I hope you still care. I love you, sweetheart, please forgive me! Please call. Please."

Her brother? I felt like a weight was being lifted from my soul. And just like that, I knew I had been fooling myself. I did care. She did matter. That's why I couldn't get her off my mind; I still loved her, and I had been hoping, praying, that she'd call. I had to play the message again, just to be sure.

I know it's late, much too late to be driving over there, to be knocking on her door, but I don't care!

Jalibar62
Jalibar62
450 Followers