Worth The Wait

Story Info
A Marine finds the unexpected at the commissary meat counter.
6.5k words
4.68
22.8k
48

Part 1 of the 2 part series

Updated 06/09/2023
Created 06/05/2019
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"How do you know what's a good steak?" asked a youthfully feminine voice as I browsed the meat selection at the Kaneohe Marine Corps Base commissary.

Looking up, I saw a Eurasian girl who was looking intently at me and the meats cuts before us. With her light brown hair pulled back in a simple ponytail, she was cute in an understated tom-boyish sort of way. Standing a slender five-two, her slightly almond-shaped eyes that sparkled with interest and were complemented by a whimsical but engaging smile. I figured that she was between twelve- and thirteen-years-old and could clearly see that she would be of a looker when she grew up.

"Well, it depends what you're looking for and your price range," I replied, making no attempt to brush this young girl off. "For instance, I'm shopping for my class' get-to-know-one-another barbecue. For most of the guys, any grilled slab of meat will do, but if you pick this rump roast or chuck to grill, you'd wear your jaw out chewing. Some guys want filet mignon, T-bone, or ribeye - yeah, right - beer-budget-money for their champagne-taste."

Tittering at my lame comment, my inquisitive pixie asked, "So, how come you know so much about meat? And whatcha going to pick?"

Now, I'm not in the habit of picking up girls especially the underage ones. Orphaned at an early age, I had enlisted as soon as I could to find that sense of belonging that was missing in my life. While others griped about boot camp and infantry training, I viewed it as paying my dues to be a member of the finest organization in the world - the United States Marine Corps. Taking advantage of the opportunities offered me, I was about to start a training program that would put me in line to be a squad leader in the near future. As such, I wasn't about to blow my career chances by messing around with an adolescent girl.

However, the girl who had struck up a conversation with me was... 'precocious'... yeah, that was a term (among others) applied to me by my last foster parent who found me to be disconcertingly mature for my years. With her in-your-face friendliness and natural curiosity, the girl who stood beside me was extremely difficult to refuse and I felt compelled to respond to her questions.

"Instead of high school, I went to a vocational school and learned how to be a butcher. But, cutting up carcasses for the rest of my life wasn't very appealing so I joined the Corps at seventeen. As for what will I buy, hmmm, I think I will buy a few of these hanger steaks which besides being cheaper, take well to a marinade, cook quickly, have a lot of flavor, and if cut right, are juicy and tender. With the money saved, I can buy a couple racks of pork baby back ribs which the guys will love for the class barbeque.

"Golly gee, you're smart! I'm Alyssa. And you are...?" she said as she held out her hand.

"Jimmy...Jimmy Romano. Nice to meet you, Alyssa...?"

"Howard...just think 'A. H.' or like in 'ah' when you think of just how pretty I am," snickered Alyssa to her own joke. "Good, now that we've got the introductions out of the way, help me pick out a steak...a good one...before my Granny gets back from using the restroom. She wants something that tastes good, is easy to cook, and doesn't cost too much. Can you help me, Jimmy?"

"Okay, Alyssa. How about this top sirloin? It's got a good taste, isn't too fatty, a snap to cook with a little salt and pepper, and the most affordable of the premium cuts..."

"Alyssa!!" barked a distinctly alpha-female voice from behind us. I instinctively snapped to rigid attention and was quick to note that Alyssa did the same. "Alyssa Howard, you come here...now!"

As if a whip had cracked, Alyssa involuntarily jumped and disappeared from my side. Turning my head, I saw this elder Asian woman sitting on a motorized handicapped shopping cart, having harsh words with her granddaughter. If looks could kill, I knew I'd be toast given the laser-bursts she was shooting my way. However, to give Alyssa credit, she took the brunt of her grandmother's displeasure and then began to cajole and calm any possible concerns.

With a nod of her head to her grandmother, Alyssa suddenly appeared in front of me and whispered with downcast eyes, "My grandmother wants to meet you. I know you don't know me at all, but could you please help me out?"

Sucking it up, I took five steps to stand before Alyssa's grandmother. "Ma'am?" slipped from my lips as I tried not to quail before this authoritative figure seat before me.

"Report, Marine! Who are you?"

"Jimmy Romano, ma'am. Corporal, Infantryman..." was automatically uttered, and then followed by my class number for the Advance Infantry Marine Course, and finishing with a comment that I had just arrived in the Islands and on base.

:

"Hmmm, planning to be an infantry squad leader, are you?" was the comment that had me really quaking in my boots. "Are you in the habit of 'hitting on' young girls, Corporal Romano?"

"No, ma'am! It's just that..."

Before I could utter anything more, Alyssa chimed in, "Granny, please! Stop making Jimmy uncomfortable! He didn't hit upon me...if anything, I was the one to start the conversation by asking him what steak to buy. Please don't act this way. Jimmy was kind enough to help me because I asked him."

"Hmmph," was the closest thing that I got to an apology, but I took what little I could get. "Show me what cut of beef you were recommending to my willful granddaughter to whom I told a hundred times not to talk to strange men - then tell me why I should buy it."

So, with Alyssa watching and holding her breath, I explained my recommendation and even went so far as to tell my inquisitor how to cook the steak for the best flavor. In so doing, I disclosed a lot of my background and reason for joining the Corps.

Alyssa's grandmother sat back in her motorized cart and with a short nod of her head, muttered, "Good recommendation. You will excuse my protectiveness of Alyssa, Corporal Romano, but my late husband was a long-time Marine First-Sergeant and always warned me about young horny jar-heads looking for a piece of young sweet pussy like my Alyssa here..."

"Grandma!! How dare you!" flew out of a flabbergasted Alyssa's mouth before her grandmother could finish. "Jimmy wasn't hitting on me!"

Ignoring her granddaughter's indignant outburst, Alyssa's grandmother continued with eyes that were drilling holes in my face, "Are you a horny Marine, Corporal Romano?"

"Ma'am! I'm a Marine and always horny! However, my 'big' head controls my 'little' head, and knows better - especially after meeting you, Ma'am - not to touch your granddaughter for fear for my life."

"Good answer, Corporal Romano. Are you Spanish or Italian?"

"Ma'am, as my foxhole buddy, Johnny Woo, would say, I'm kind of chop-suey when it comes to my ethnic background...a little this and a little that...and a whole lot of unknown."

"Hmmm, that's okay. Here in Hawaii, we say that 'poi dogs' or mixed-breed mongrels are the hardiest dogs around."

"Yes, ma'am, I am that," I responded as I was beginning to like this old battle ax of a woman.

"Good! Why don't you come over for dinner this weekend and show me how to cook this steak? I'm sure that Alyssa will agree with my invitation. Don't you, Alyssa?"

Alyssa was stunned at her grandmother's audacity, but before she could say anything, I quickly replied, "I'm sorry, ma'am, but I will have to beg off. I'm in charge of my class' barbecue which is why I was checking out the commissary's meat selection."

"Good for you. You'll never know when a good barbecue and the resulting bonding will pay off in a time of need. Where will you be having your class barbecue?"

When I mentioned that had yet to be determined and would probably at some beach park if we could ever agree upon one, Alyssa's grandmother then cut me off by stating in no uncertain terms, "No. Tell your classmates that they are all invited to my place for the class barbecue. My late-husband and Alyssa's dad who was killed in service as a Marine would want it to be so. I'm sure Alyssa's mom who later died of grief would agree with my offer. You bring the meat, hungry stomachs, and beer. I'll provide everything else. Do we have an understanding, Corporal Romano?"

Looking at Alyssa who nodded in a silent plea of hope, I uttered, "Yes, ma'am! It will be my pleasure to tell my classmates that we have an opportunity for some real home cooking and Island hospitality from the family of former Marines. Thank you, ma'am. for your generous and kind invitation!"

Looking up at me from where she was seated, Alyssa's grandmother mumbled, "Oh, you are a sweet talker, Corporal Romano. Alyssa? Do you see this young man? He is the kind of Marine that I have been warning you about. You'd better watch yourself with him or one day he'll talk you right out of your panties. Hmmm. Alyssa, make sure to give our home address and telephone number to Corporal Romano. Say eighteen-hundred, this Saturday, Corporal?"

With that said, Alyssa's grandmother engaged her shopping cart and moved on to do her other grocery shopping. Looking at each other, Alyssa and I let out a loud collective sigh of relief. "Is she always like that?" popped out of my mouth soon after taking a breath. "So...intense...commanding..."

"Ha," Alyssa laughed, "What did you expect of a First Sergeant's wife. You should see her when she's really mad. Her nickname is "Tsunami Ruth" among the women's auxiliary...ooh, and can she swear up a storm! Give me your mobile phone, Jimmy. Now let me - there - I've entered the date, time, and place into your electronic calendar and have inputted in your contact directory, my name and contact information too. Whatever you do, Jimmy, make sure you and your classmates show up Saturday evening or the base commander might get a call from you-know-who."

"Are you always so bossy? Considering that we just met, why do I feel like I don't have a choice in the matter and am being told what to do?"

In response, Alyssa just looked me knowingly in the eye and gave me one hell of an inscrutable smile. "It is nice meeting such a 'perceptive' Marine, Corporal Jimmy Romano. See you this Saturday."

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

That Saturday. my classmates and I met at Ruth's house and had one hell of a barbecue. Aside from the good food and drinks, Alyssa's grandmother provided that touch of home and Corps pedigree that many of my classmates longed for. She told some rather raunchy stories shared by her late husband which had everyone rolling in gut-busting laughter. By the end of the night, many referred to Ruth as 'Mom,' a figure whom many missed and finally found a willing surrogate for theirs.

As for Alyssa and me, we had a chance to sit off to the side watching the interplay between her grandmother and my classmates. "I want to thank you, Jimmy. I don't think I've seen Granny so relaxed and enjoying herself. When my parents died one after the other, she took me in and sacrificed everything for me. This is the first time I've seen her so darn happy. Thank you, Jimmy." With that, Alyssa gave me a quick innocent peck on the cheek that for some strange reason made me blush and my heart skip a beat.

After that weekend, Ruth's place became my class' home-away-from-home whenever we weren't humping the jungles and training ranges of Hawaii. Alyssa was called "little sis" by all in my class except for some strange reason, me. Our relationship which began as a coincidental conversation quickly became a tight and evolving friendship. We'd often talk, share, and listen to each other to the point where all others were unintentionally excluded. Needless to say, the rapidly developing nature of our unique relationship drew the attention and consternation of those around us.

"Hey man," Van Diego, my buddy, warned me as hiked up a steep hill, "You know that cute kid - yeah, Alyssa - has got a big-time crush on you even though you're one hell of a butt-ugly bastard. Whatever you do, don't screw up with 'baby sis' because if you hurt her, you'll be in a world of hurt. Besides pissing off your entire class, you'll be in 'deep kimchee' (a whole lot of fucking trouble) with Mom. Fuck, she'll make you wish you weren't born; will have no qualms about filing statutory rape charges; and will make sure that you're drummed out of the Corps on a 'BCD' (Bad Conduct Discharge). Come on, man, we've only got a couple more weeks left in this course and then we'll be reassigned out of Hawaii. Watch yourself, amigo."

Alyssa had texted me to say that I should meet her that Sunday at Kailua Beach that was down the road from the base's back gate. However, when I met Alyssa, I couldn't help but realize just how young she was. How Alyssa got out of the house and pass her grandmother wearing a string bikini emphasized her lack of boobs, hips, and buns was a wonder to me. I suddenly understood why others thought that I was robbing the cradle even though my relationship with Alyssa had been above-board and totally innocent.

As I lay there on the white sands trying to get a tan and wrestling with my thought, Alyssa asked, "How old are you, Jimmy? Eighteen, about to turn nineteen? Hmmm, that makes you only five years older than me. That's not much, is it Jimmy? My dad was nine years older than my mom, and my grandpa was eleven years older than Granny. Five years isn't really that much of an age difference."

That was the straw that broke the camel's back. In as serious a tone as I could muster, I shared Van Diego's observations and warnings. Alyssa hung her head as she listened and looked as if she was going to cry, making me feel like a damn shit-head. But then to my complete surprise, she lifted her face to give me one hell of a smile and looked me straight in the eyes with those twinkling brown eyes of hers.

"Look, Jimmy, I know what people are thinking about us...that we're playing with fire and will get burned. Heck, you should hear Granny's not too subtle warnings that I'm getting too close to you...and she really likes you. I'm constantly being told that I'm still a kid and shouldn't be so 'friendly' with you. It seems that she and the others get really bent out of shape when I get 'touchy' with you...you know, like hugging you when you make me laugh or swatting you when you tease me.

"But, that's how I am - plain and simple. I show my emotions, say what I'm thinking, and do whatever I feel like. Granny says that I stress her out royally because I'm much too mature for my age. She keeps telling me that I should act my age...which in my case, that means acting more like a kid than as a grownup. But, I can't help it...I'm just being myself.

"Do you know, Jimmy, that you're the only one who doesn't treat me like a kid? Your buddies treat me...sometimes tolerate me...like a pesky little sister. Granny means well but to her, I someone to be taken care of and sheltered from life's realities. You treated me as an equal from the moment we talked about steaks. You could have brushed me off but you didn't, and I appreciated that and felt really comfortable with you. I can't deny that I like you even though I know that you can't admit that you feel the same way."

"Alyssa, I like you. However, many people...my buddies and your grandmother... are afraid that we might..."

"Ewww, Jimmy! I like you but am not at the point of getting hot and heavy. Please - I'm only thirteen-years-old! Heck, I haven't even kissed a guy and a year or so ago, I thought boys were yucky. And look at me. I'm flat as a pancake, no hips or butt, and with long skinny legs - a teenage string bean. How could you possibly find me attractive?"

When I just gave her my best-lecherous stare and grin, Alyssa gasped and instinctively covered herself with her towel. She then playfully slapped me when my uncontrolled chuckling gave me away that I was only messing with her. "You're nasty, Jimmy Romano!" she shrieked. In false-indignation. "Maybe people are right about you being a dirty old...no, young...man! Hmmph!" vented Alyssa before breaking down with a bad case of the giggles.

Then after regaining her composure, Alyssa finally said, "Jimmy, Granny and I are the closest people you have to a family, and we'd like to keep it that way. I know that you'll be reassigned once you complete your training but maybe we can stay in touch - like pen-pals? Wherever you're stationed, having someone to write to and receive mail from wouldn't be that bad, would it? You tell me what's happening with you and I'll do the same. What do you say, Jimmy? I promise you that you won't regret it."

Well, the powers that be alerted my class was that as soon as we graduated, we'd be immediately reassigned to line units for possible deployment. While I didn't have any information as to my next assignment, I had enough time to stop by Alyssa's to let her and Ruth, in person, know that I'd be shipping out in two-days' time. Ruth gave me a hug, wished me well, and then left the room to Alyssa and me.

"I'll miss you Alyssa..." tumbled out of my mouth a moment before her slender body leaped into my arms and wrapping herself around me, clung to me like a human boa constrictor.

"No more than I will miss you, Jimmy," whispered Alyssa as she pressed her cheek against mine. "Write to me so that I know where you are and I promise to write back." Then letting go of me so that she could look me in the eyes, Alyssa continued with that mischievous smile on her lips, "If you don't, I will tell Granny all kinds of lies about how you did totally disgusting sexual things to me - ruining and scarring me for life.'"

When I instinctively gasped out of shock, Alyssa burst out laughing. "Gotcha! Now, we're even! Haul out your iPhone, Jimmy, so that you can take a picture of us together... that's a good one. Now take one of me alone...and then a close-up of my face. Hold still while I take a picture of that ugly face of yours on my cell phone. There, these images will help us remember each other while we're apart. Promise to write, email, or text me your mailing address. Promise me, Jimmy."

Then walking me to the door, Alyssa turned and gave me a sweet but brief kiss on the lips before saying, "It's good that my first kiss is one of 'aloha' which has many meanings. Take care of yourself, Jimmy, and come back." When the door closed, I heard sobbing from the other side and knew that I'd try my best to keep my promise.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

The following years spun quickly by with a combat tour in the Middle East; a short stint in Okinawa; several months afloat as part of a rapid response unit; and then some time in Korea. I had made the rank of sergeant and was told that I was next in line for staff sergeant when the next billet became available. Throughout this swirling maelstrom of constant change, Alyssa was my anchor and her relationship with me helped me be grounded when things were up in the air and kept me rock-steady when things got dicey.

Alyssa's jasmine-scented letters were always a treat even though in the information that was shared was often dated by the time I got them. When I got a letter from her, those around me clamored to inhale the smell of the girl back home and they couldn't... or more so, wouldn't... buy that Alyssa was just a cute kid and a pen-pal.

When I received one of her frequent 'care packages while deployed, it was a squad celebration. Each box was literally crammed full of practical stuff we couldn't get such as containers of foot powder, baby wipes, shampoo/body wash, hand sanitizer, sunscreen, and lip balm. Then to appeal to our stomachs, Alyssa always included tons of beef jerky, meat sticks, trail mix, and individual hard candy (for personal consumption and possible giveaways to the local kids).

When I was in garrison, and the technology and threat-con permitted, we emailed and texted one another. Then when I could get computer-time, I began Skyping her. With each Skype session, I couldn't help but notice how Alyssa was subtly growing up and becoming more mature. This, however, did not stop Alyssa from being herself with me - nosey, blunt, and damn bossy.

12