All Comments on 'Your Silver Nights and Golden Days Pt. 05'

by Candy_Kane54

Sort by:
  • 27 Comments
AnonymousAnonymousabout 4 years ago
Bravo!

Initially I had trouble getting into the story with so much detail about military procedure etc and a very linear stepping through of events giving the narrative a somewhat stilted feel. Then it slowly worked its magic as it dawned that as a first person narrative of a military officer in a highly technical role such a person is likely on the autism spectrum. Seeing the story in this light brought Virginia to life.

Well done

becky7becky7about 4 years ago
Continuation

Will Grace and the boys be included in Virginia's story?

AnonymousAnonymousabout 4 years ago
needed to be told

I'm a straight male that served in the Dutch defence in the late seventees and eightees and I am astounded by the lack of tolerance and backwards thinking in the U.S in regards to homosexuality. I had a friend with a gay siblings who told me it was much better to be quiet about their sexuality but I personally worked with some civilians that were gay, it never occurred to me to question it. The Dutch defence force had together with the U.K allowed gay people in their ranks since about 1974. New Zealand even earlier I found out. I like romance stories and you've written one that needed to be written. Thank you for that, I'm looking forward to read more from Virginia, hope she finds another soulmate.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 4 years ago
beulahthebrit

Brilliant story, not a great fan of any military, but this was good, hope we meet up with Virginia in happier circumstances soon.

Candy_Kane54Candy_Kane54about 4 years agoAuthor

becky7 - Yes, Grace, Matthew, and Mark will be featured in future installments of the story arc. The next part I'm working on now (Throwin' Pennies in the Bay) will not feature them since it is a prequel to this story.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 4 years ago
Well Worth The Read

Thank you so much for this story. I thoroughly enjoyed it although I hoped for a better ending for Bonnie. However, that said not every story needs a happy ever after conclusion as that isn't reality. I look forward to reading more stories from you.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 4 years ago
Well done

To me this is not a story of lust but of love and how life is indiscriminate in how it treats us all. The story of the cancer is the real issue. You have treated this with compassion and reality.

BillyslateBillyslateabout 4 years ago
A Beautiful Romance Story

I have enjoyed all 5-Parts of this wonderful story, and was disappointed with Bonnie's departure in Pt.-05. However, this is how the "ball of life" occasionally bounces, with vibrant & relatively young individuals becoming gravely ill and subsequently dying within 1-year.

Pancreatic Cancer survival rates range from 20% the first year following diagnosis to 7% after 5-years, therefore is considered incurable. A close family member of mine was diagnosed with Pancreatic Cancer, with 6-months life expectancy, and was deceased in 3-months. Once Bonnie's diagnosis was confirmed, we realized that her role in story was now complete.

I am quite pleased with Mathew / Mark's continued presence in a future Virginia story (s), since she really loved the boys, with their forming such a wonderful family unit, including Grace. I think Bonnie's spirit will always be with the 4-of them in their future adventures.

I rated the entire 05-Parts as a "Complete 5*-STAR Performance Package"!!!

AnonymousAnonymousabout 4 years ago
love story

I followed this as a love story, made me cry,

AnonymousAnonymousabout 4 years ago
This is where it ends for me

I read this because it was a love story of Bonnie and Virginia. I cant believe this is how their story ends, very sad.

cxaxlovercxaxloverabout 4 years ago
Speechless

I, like many others, followed as a love story. Though it is absolutely that, it’s so much more. I live in New Mexico and felt a deeper connection to this story due in part to that, it made it very real to me.

Thank you for your work. I believe all stories have reality peppered throughout- at the end you mentioned meeting “Bonnie” once.. I read this thinking you were Virginia, but regardless my heart goes out to you, and Bonnies family.

My wife and I have a 2 yr old son and this is a potential nightmare in 2020 that we worry about even with the support network we have in the event something happens to one or both of us...

MaonaighMaonaighabout 4 years ago
Next story please!

I had meant to comment on the first chapter when it came out but got side-tracked over something and forgot about it. So now I decided to read the lot in one go and comment when finished. I was in the British military when homosexuality was still illegal and saw a number of otherwise good soldiers go down simply because they didn't conform. You deserve a lot of praise for this, Candy, although I'm sure many readers will be upset by the tragic ending (I killed off a couple of my main characters---life isn't all happy endings and writers shouldn't pretend it is). Even without the erotic passages this would have been a story to be proud of (although a lot shorter). I am looking forward to your next story.

jsmangisjsmangisabout 4 years ago
A Sad Ending To A Great Story

Ordinarily stories on this site don't get to me but this one did.

Captain MidnightCaptain Midnightabout 4 years ago
Yes, Virginia, there is...?

I keep hoping to see more stories about Virginia. (I have just seen a one-parter where she is mentioned but not seen.)

It was easy to condemn homosexuality when you didn't know (or thought you didn't know) and care for someone who wished to have same-sex love, especially if you didn't want it for yourself and might actually be afraid of it. So many people were afraid that a gay man or woman would think they are "fresh meat" and assault them! They couldn't see beyond their own fears.

To give Virginia a rich, full biography and shoe her devotion to her career, the women she loves, and their families is to remind me of the people I know and deeply care for, and who care for me. I actually wish I was Virginia's friend in some capacity and each of us could help out the other in some way. Not sure as to what.

I care for Virginia. Thanks for givimg me a forum to care for her.

gnome_mangnome_manabout 4 years ago
Such A Great Story

But, so sad, in the end. So very, very sad. It was hard to keep from weeping. Bonnie and Virginia. Grace, Matt, and Mark. They all seemed so real. Of course, Virginia was the most real person, but only in this story.

Such a strong feeling of "reality" to it.

I loved your story. You know what you write about when you locate it in So. California. Those places have the feeling of being real, or of having been real back then. I read "Saving Grace," before this story series and I kept expecting Kathy to be incorporated into the story more.

You certainly know your military and vintage aerospace "world." Having lived in a similar world, though it was as an enlisted man in the Army in the early to mid-seventies, I could identify with it.

These days, so many are so quick to "Thank You For Your Service," I have no real feeling for their honesty. My military time was accompanied by no lack of disdain by and in the civilian world, that I take any such "thanks" with a huge amount of salt.

But, if Virginia is real, as you imply, I want to profoundly thank her for her efforts to guide some extremely important and complex projects to fruition.

When I think of the Sergeant York weapons system (or whatever they called that $5 billion piece of shit) and compare it to the quality that the weapons systems you mention actually attained... Thank you, Virginia.

Candy, you are a superb storyteller. I have read this entire series in one gulp, mostly going past the sex (because) and have really enjoyed it.

ramblin2020ramblin2020over 3 years ago

Such amazing stories. 1_ the culture predates my second hand understanding but is authentic even today, 2_ it gracefully highlights an injustice that continues today, although we're maybe less broken?, 3_ the universal human need for connection and family really works throughout the stories. love what you do. clearly you been there, done that, and designed the tshirt.

AnonymousAnonymousover 3 years ago
Wow!

Wow! Such a heart breaking story. I lost my wife of almost 20 years to cancer. Sorry for your loss.

AnonymousAnonymousover 3 years ago
Thank you

I myself am a current serving member who joined in the early 90s. Although not in the US. I have been on deployments along side your nation and witnessed the disgraceful behaviour that your defence laws in-still and the fear of the women I met who couldn’t be themselves even when I could.

The only consequence to falling in love should be happiness not punishment and discharge.

This story pulled at my heart strings and I have no shame in saying I cried for Virginia. The story has real emotion and I hope you continue to entrust us with her journey further.

AnonymousAnonymousover 3 years ago

To say you are a gifted writer would not do you justice. I have only read "Throwin' Pennies in the Bay" and "Your Silver Nights and Golden Days" but I assure you I will read every other work you have published here. These speak to your soul in a way many other written works are unable to. This world you have created is so vivid and real the reader can feel your connection to it. You give such life with your words. My heart has soared and wept while reading. I have nothing but respect for those that have/do serve no matter what branch and am sorry for hardships they have faced. I also wish love and support for those struggling with cancer the patient and their families. I just lost my mother earlier this year but the time from finding it and losing her was relatively short. So for those that have to watch those they love fade, it rips them apart. Thank you for this tale though it held tragedy it also held so much love as to be a work of art.

FranziskaSissyFranziskaSissyover 3 years ago
Breathtaking tearstaking hearttaking

As is sounds like its a part of true telltale ..... I truly feel tor you and this loss ..... Sickness of a beloved being makes us totally helpless and worthless .... My heart or better soul still crys out on top of lounge for the loss of my grandpa then i was 6 and i had followed his downpath for long ...... Helpless totally helpless and this is tattoed allover my soul ...... So thank you for this story and this amazing talent of your writing skills ..... Bow my head

FriskyMindFriskyMindabout 3 years ago

I’m lesbian, and I lost my wife ten years ago. As it happens I live in Dayton so I know exactly the places you mentioned. The ending would’ve hit me hard anyhow, but that really brought it home. Hospice is wonderful and I know they made Bonnies last days easier but,.damn it isn’t fair...

SirDigbyChickenCaesarSirDigbyChickenCaesarover 2 years ago

Firstly I must apologize for the belated review: I followed this story as it was originally published, but even after finally getting my account working early this year, I've struggled to articulate my reaction.

It's all too fitting you cite BrokenSpokes as your inspiration to write: you two are my go-to citation for arguing erotic fiction can go toe-to-toe with, if not surpass, "mainstream" romance novels. I'm a sucker for military themes, and I was hooked by the first paragraph; Virginia's workday is described in the sort of detail that could only come from someone in the know. I'll confess, while others may be off-put by the intricacies of Air Force R&D, despite being a total rube I was almost more engaged by -that- than the sex!

Other readers have lauded the story's heart far more eloquently than I can; instead I'll speak to the setting. As someone never threatened by the shadow of DADT, the Virginiaverse has been phenomenally educational. I cannot imagine how hard it was for the women and men forced to pursue relationships 'underground'. The white lies, the clandestine rendez-vous, never knowing if one wrong word or errant gesture might set the hounds on her—Virginia might not be a spy, but oftentimes her story reads like a thriller. Bonnie's diagnosis, and the fact that so many legal supports are denied to them at their most needful hour, underscore how -cruel- our society can be to the very people it touts as heroes.

Suffice to say, this proved an endearing first novel, and an enduring foundation to a worthy franchise. I have enjoyed all the stories that have followed, and look forward to those to come.

Cindy1001Cindy1001over 2 years ago

I almost have no more words for your beautiful words and tale. Moving. Raw, in the emotions and the cruel reality of institutions that prevented men and women to live and love as they choose.

Runner4069Runner4069about 2 years ago

Wow. So beautiful, raw, and moving. I don't have words for what a wonderful job you did with this story, and the utter cruelty of the situation from so many aspects.

Thank-you for sharing

Nicole2023Nicole2023over 1 year ago

Man it took a lot of deep breathes not to cry, i experience hospice care 3x with mom being the hardest. I'm still choked up. Great writing

BelindaTvDKBelindaTvDKabout 1 year ago

I am speachless, and tearfull...

Great story, but sad..

Hard not to have a lump in my throat, and tears in my eyes..

Belinda

BodysurferyeahBodysurferyeahabout 1 year ago

Surprise, surprise. Death is the one thing that we all have in common. Good for Bonnie that she had people that loved and cared for her, and that she dealt with her demise gracefully. Thank you for keeping it real.

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous
userCandy_Kane54@Candy_Kane54
*** IN MEMORIAM *** 13JUN23 - It is with a heavy heart that I inform you that Maonaigh had passed on 11JUN23. I hadn't expected it since he had just written me 06JUN23 about his next lesbian story he was working on. Apparently he had been quite sick for some time. His body wa...