You're Always 17 Ch. 02

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Have you ever been to the Ozark Mountains in Arkansas and Oklahoma? Driven across the great plains and watched the Rocky Mountains grow on the horizon? I know you've done Aspen, but have you watched a baseball game at Coors Field, or visited the Coors brewery? Gambled in Central City? Seen the elk roaming the streets of Estes Park? Driven Trail Ridge Road and walked to the summit? Seen Yellowstone or the Grand Tetons, or even the Grand Canyon, from less than 30,000 feet?"

My wife to-be was smiling now. "That's so you! You love Ruidoso, the shops in Santa Fe, and Carlsbad Caverns - I can just imagine you touring the US in a giant RV!"

"And we'll be towing your Wrangler in a car carrier - the motorhome has a 600-horsepower diesel engine, so we can pull anything! We can hook it up in a nice RV park and go anywhere we want in your Jeep, even up the steepest mountain roads!"

"Or hook it up over there, and ride down here to play with your nieces and nephews?" Brooke asked with a grin.

"Of course!" I replied. "And once we get back from our honeymoon, we can take weekend trips to the Big Bend, to Taos or Angel Fire, to Dallas to see your family, or wherever!"

As she is wont to do when pleased with me, she came over and sat across my lap. "See why I love this big hunk? He's just a boy at heart, and you know what they say: the only difference between a man and a boy is the price of his toys!

"Honey, after that sales job, I can hardly wait to ride all over the country with you. But how long did you say our honeymoon is? That's a fairly long trip, and winter isn't that far away."

"Our bosses said we need to be back for Thanksgiving, so we have a little while, and, yes, we'll have to pay attention to the weather. But, Sugar, would being snowed in for a few days be all that bad?" I nipped her ear when I asked the last question, and she got goosebumps. Maybe it was my breath, maybe anticipation. I might not survive a week snowed in with her, but, again, I'd die happy.

We all ate lunch at Ramon's to get our last taste of real Tex-Mex, said our goodbyes, and headed northwest. Mom was less agitated, and Dad was almost pleasant when we greeted him. My brothers, SILs, nephews, and nieces were sorry to see us go, and urged us to come back soon!

I was a bit melancholy, but everyone else said to wake them when we got to Uvalde. I didn't, but I did wake them when we got to Neal's Cabins at Concan, where we had reservations for the night.

It was too late and chilly to tube - they named it the Frio River for a reason - so we ate sandwiches from the ice chest and called it a day. The next day we stopped at and roamed scenic spots like Garner State Park, Leaky, Barksdale, and Rocksprings, and then hit cruising speed for Junction and beyond. The speed limit on I 10 is 80, but you'd get run over going that slow, so I fell in behind a guy with a bunch of radio antennas who was flying low, and we blew through Sonora, Ozona, and Fort Stockton, before bidding him adieu and turning toward Pecos and home.

They wanted to see pictures of our honeymoon wagon, so River showed them how to access the gallery. Shannon gave me that wide-eyed look she's so good at, and commented, "Not bad! Not bad at all!"

I worked, worked, worked for two weeks, but Shannon caught a flight from Midland to Dallas the day after we got to Orla. Apparently, last minute preparations for a wedding take three weeks!

Despite her mother's clucking about decorum in public places, my greeting from my Facetime Buddy was wildly enthusiastic when I arrived at Love. It was much more enthusiastic when we dumped Mom and went to my room 'to drop off my luggage.' That took a full hour, making us almost late to a supper some friends of her parents were hosting.

Stuffy, pretentious, and boring are good descriptors for the conversation, but the chef-catered food was excellent. We excused ourselves after a decent interval and went back to the room. Shannon took a break at midnight to text her mom in response to an inquiry as to her whereabouts, and that was the last we heard from Mom for a while.

We used the morning break to go check on our motorhome and take it for a ride. From the driver's standpoint, it handled well for 40 feet of vehicle, had plenty of power, and everything worked. From the bride's viewpoint, "This is a dream coach! So much better than an airplane for seeing out of, the furniture is luxurious, the bedding is wonderful, and I LOVE the mattress on the big bed! So comfy! I can hardly wait to try it out!"

Not having the time myself and not wanting Shannon to spend her time on that, I had hired an interior designer - the dealership owner's daughter - to upgrade and fully stock the RV, and she seemed to have met Shannon's standards, which called for a nice tip. Oh, Shannon had a few thoughts to share with her, but she seemed well pleased.

We'd pick it up the morning after the wedding and head for Hot Springs, Arkansas; a place neither of us had been. I might not be able to fly as high as Daddy, but I can show her things she's never seen and make her feel things she's never felt. Hopefully, that will be enough.

As compared to all the 'bridezilla' stories I'd heard, Shannon was surprisingly sanguine. A frantic florist who was short on a particular flower for the reception? "No problem - what do you have that would look good with our colors?" A caterer who balked at offering kid-friendly meals? "No problem: I can get someone else. Just return the deposit on the way out." Oops - maybe it's not what I normally do but let me try another source. "You have an hour to confirm."

When I queried her, she replied, "Do you have any idea how many sorority dances and cotillions I have chaired? There's always another way, and as they say, a hundred years from now no one will care anyway."

As stinking gorgeous as she is, there's a lot more to Shannon Alanna Barnes than meets the eye. This is going to be a journey for the ages, and we get the formal phase started in two days!

My family of six adults and 4.5 kids arrived mid-afternoon from different directions, and immediately got together at the hotel. Her sorority sisters and cheer squad members with their plus ones arrived that evening, her family dropped by the hotel, and we took over the bar. When one of her bridesmaids asked if she got the band she wanted, she smirked, said she didn't but found an even better band they were gonna love. She refused to name the band, saying it would be a fun surprise.

Her delectable sisters had what had become their semi-serious (Kelly) and serious (Angie) boyfriends in tow, and since they had shared experiences with the sorority sisters and cheerleaders, they were having as much fun as anyone.

As they were leaving, Shannon's mom asked when she would be home; when she replied, "Later tonight," her mother looked shocked. But that was by agreement; a short break to make our honeymoon just that much more special.

Shannon's wedding party now consisted of her sisters as maids of honor; her college roommate, sorority sister, and BFF, Allison; and the cheerleaders she had been closest to all four years, Salah, Kim, and Michelle. They represented ten months of the 2021/2022 'Playgirls of Texas Tech' calendars (Shannon, Kim, Salah, and Michelle were in both). They were best sellers in Lubbock and online, and seeing them in person, it was easy to see why.

My best man was River, my groomsmen Will, Alex, Brad, Abe, and Beto, the representative chosen by the crew who had broken me in and stayed with me all these years in the oil patch. I wanted all of them to come, but they were as reluctant as before, even though they unanimously adored Shannon and she adored them.

The rehearsal went off flawlessly, although Shannon changed who was escorting whom based on size and other attributes. The dinner, hosted by my 'parents,' River and Katrina, was a fascinating mixture of 'roast' and 'love story,' with all members of the wedding party, all four parents, and Shannon's grandparents making toasts and telling endearing tales. There were no embarrassing stories about the Hen Party or Batchelor Party this time, because we didn't have either; not to mention that we adjourned to our rooms/ homes at midnight.

I regretted our two-night vow of abstinence, missing her sweet smell and the satin texture of her skin in my bed even more than the sex. Two nights is much less than the two weeks she was in Dallas and I was in New Mexico, but for some reason - anticipation, maybe - it seemed longer.

She called me at dawn-thirty on Saturday, our wedding day, "Just because I need to hear your voice." After assuring me that she wasn't getting cold feet, and in fact, was missing my touch, she revisited today's schedule.

The guys were playing a round of golf this morning while the women went to a spa and then to have their makeup done.

Golf was Brad's idea, and I've never had more fun. Except for Brad, his dad, Granddad, and River, we were terrible at golf. In fact, I'd played a lot more mini golf than golf, the nearest golf course to Cowtown was fifty miles, and I don't know if Beto had ever seen a golf club before. River wasn't bad at all, though; it seems a lot of oil bidness around Mitland is conducted on golf courses.

I'm an idiot, for sure, when it comes to duplicity, but somehow Will, Lily, Woody, his wife Shannon (nee Parker), Gary, Danny, Lina, and the soundman for The BGH Pundits showing up to join us didn't seem strange, because they explained they were playing a gig in Dallas and my Shannon had suggested this course during the songwriters' night.

They were better than my brothers, Beto and I, although it would be hard to be worse; plus, they added humor to the proceedings. My in-laws were reluctant to give me hell, but they were not! The most common question was how athletes like the Carr boys could be such klutzes on a golf course, but we didn't take offense: we were horrible and not afraid to admit it. Where we came from, there were always things that needed doing more than wasting six hours playing cow pasture pool.

Lila, Shannon, and Lina had previous engagements and left after nine holes. A tray of sandwiches was waiting when we men adjourned to the country club, and it was over lunch that I first experienced the business model River and the Barnes had long since mastered. My first experience, however, came at the hands of Will Callaghan himself.

"I heard you boys are considering setting up an RV hookup on your parents' land - that right?"

Seemed like a simple enough question. "We are! I recently came into a motorhome, and we plan to come down from time to time to keep the closeness we've developed as a family."

"So, you and Cowtown aren't mortal enemies anymore?" Woody asked with a grin.

"I always used the song 'You're Always Seventeen in Your Hometown' as a cautionary tale, what with the mess I left when I went northwest. As it turned out, apparently, I wasn't as looked down on as I thought. I renewed my relationship with my brothers and quite a few old friends and got to know your band better. Those reasons, and great Tex-Mex, are enough to make me and my lovely bride want to go back from time to time; or so she claims."

"We also hear you've got a bundle of cash sitting around, just waiting to be invested, from some deal with the state of New Mexico. True?"

I looked into River's poker face and realized more was going on here than I thought. "To be honest, I'm not sure. River is in charge of that part of the business; every now and then he cuts me a check, I send it to my investment advisor, and he tells me what to do. Why do you ask?"

"I just happen to know about a sweet little parcel of land that is for sale across the river from me. The owner overextended his fast-food franchises and needs some cash post haste."

I again looked at River, and then back at Will. "What size parcel, where exactly, and how much cash?"

"It's only a section, and like I said, it's across the river from me. I think you used to skinny dip, or dip your wick, or something, along the river there."

So, across the bridge from the Callaghan's, what we called Vincent's Crossing. "So now I know where and how many acres, but I still don't know how much. Best guess?"

"Land's going for about $3000 per acre in that size tract."

"I'm not a math major, but that's close to $2 million. Is that the price for someone with time to burn, or for someone in need of cash?"

"That's what a place not across a bridge in need of repair sold for after being on the market for a year," Will said with a grin.

"Even if River and my advisor said yes, I still wouldn't pay even half that much without knowing what condition the bridge is in."

The grins around the table led me to Alex, who said, "It just so happens that I have a bridge crew. We build and repair a lot of bridges, and I recently gave a bid to the owner of that piece of land and his neighbor down the road. Depending on who got to run cattle on that piece of land and use the river, I might be able to soften that price a little."

The grins were unanimous now. "Well hell! I think I've been railroaded!"

****

Walking out from behind the divider with River, Will, Alex, Brad, Abe, and Beto was a thrill like none I'd experienced. I looked out over the church; as expected, the 'bride's side' was nearly filled. I turned to the 'groom's side' expecting to see mostly empty pews, with some overflow from the bride's side. The jilted groomsmen and four of Shannon's cousins had seated Katrina, Kathy, and Brooke on the family row. Not so surprisingly after the morning, they were flanked by the Billy Goat Hill Pundits.

What was surprising was the passel of my old classmates and teammates packed in behind them, and beyond that about 40 de mis compadres de Orla dressed in their finest! I glanced at River, who had that grin, and I'll admit I might have teared up a bit.

Katrina's eyes were already misty, and Kathy and Brooke's eyes got glassy watching the swarm of flower children and the two ring bearers. The beauties paraded serenely down the aisle, to be received by the groomsmen who stepped forward to take their arms and stand beside them in the proper place. When the gorgeous Maids of Honor were properly stationed, there was a pause in the music, and then the bridal march began. Daddy Barnes was a proud as the proudest peacock as he took the arm of his youngest daughter, made sure they were off in stride, and took that first step.

The bride was more beautiful than an angel, which explains her floating down the aisle with Daddy's arm to keep her anchored. She, and the other few hundred in attendance, tell me I exemplified 'the look of love' as I watched her, but I only remember being awestruck.

Dad managed to say "Her mother and I" when queried but stumbled taking the three steps to the first pew, most likely from the tears flowing from his eyes. Mom, just as tearful, petted him, and he put his arm around her shoulders.

The bridal bouquet was gone, and I found myself holding those delicate hands and looking into those pools of emerald-green, knowing this is a creature most favored by God, and that no man deserved the blessing he was awarding me today.

I'm not always eloquent, but when asked to promise to Love, Honor, and Cherish this angel all the days of my life, my voice was deep, powerful, and sincere. Her sweetly melodious voice was equally sincere, and our first kiss as man and wife wandered into PG 13 territory.

We took a million pictures with a quarter-million people, and my family pictures actually took as long as hers, because she insisted that we also take pictures with our band, our friends from Cowtown, and our compadres del oil patch. That her family members, near and distant, insisted that I be in their pictures with the bride, warmed my heart. These are people of means, cultured, and well-bred, yet they accepted me, my family, and my friends as their own, even demanding a group picture that look up all the steps outside.

When we made our way to the reception hall to begin our official duties, her family and friends and my family and friends were sharing seats and stories on the buses.

You know what all happens at the wedding reception, so I won't go there, other than to say the food was excellent, the toasts were more than kind, and very loving. Brad got carried away and cried tears of joy when he described the chance graduation seating that led to my charge to save his sister, and our unlikely compatibility as a couple.

Katrina wept when she talked about my pitiful, angry 19-year-old-self showing up looking for work, and Shannon's first 'internship.' Our sad parting and her triumphant return five years later were chronicled quite capably by my oldest friend in the camp, Juan Jose Aguilar. I did catch some hell over being a sentimental sissy from the mancampers, but it was mostly in Spanish, so not everyone understood. Hopefully, not many.

Woody introduced the band, and Will described how the bride convinced him, in a single dance, that this was the only possible band for their wedding reception. As soon as the laughter, applause, and shouts of agreement about her persuasiveness died down, the couple came together and the Pundits played a song written by Lila about the couple's first meeting, immediate attraction, burning hot, being pulled apart, and coming back together in a love that lasts forever.

We ended that song in an embrace and kiss that pushed harder against the bounds of PG 13, and then danced to Silver Wings, our first song. Then began the other traditional dances. Katrina's love for and devotion to her adopted son was clear in the mother-son dance, as Daddy's love for his youngest was clear in their dance.

I danced with Shannon's mom, both grandmothers, and both my sisters-in-law; she danced with a slew of men, including her grandfathers, every groomsman and the best man, and then marshalled all the women for a series of rock songs that might have shocked the staider guests. Lila, Shannon (Woody) West, and Lina were out there beside her, and the band kept the rock coming - they seemed to be having as much fun as the dancers.

Part of me wanted to join her, but this seemed to be Shannon's effort to get her wedding party, kin, friends from her days as a Highland Park High Scottie, and TT friends/ sorority sisters/ cheer squad members together. Besides, they were fun to watch.

Shannon being Shannon, she had eschewed the traditional white wedding gown in favor of a knee-length gown of baby blue and white, and it was the right dress for the ceremony as well as her dance moves. I wore a tux with a baby blue vest, but my pants, jacket, and tie were black. We looked good together, even if I was the more traditionally dressed. There would be a lot of that in my life, so why not?

We rode one of the buses back to the hotel after the reception and walked to the elevators with some of our guests. They were teasing about joining us, but Shannon said two nights of abstinence was enough, and she was ready to try married sex. When we were finally ready for bed, though, she wanted to cuddle, rehash the night, and then make slow, sweet love. You just never know with her.

****

One of the improvements to the motorcoach she ordered was innovative: a padded chair that could be rolled into the open space beside the driver and locked into a steel floor plate. Because of the RV's size and classification, there is no 'seat belt requirement,' but the chair had one, just in case. Its position allowed her to sit beside me, or, after she got brave enough to drive, me to sit beside her. It wasn't quite as good as a bench seat, but better than two Captain's Chairs six feet apart.

The 300-mile drive to Hot Springs took longer than we expected, but that was true with any number of legs of our journey. Some people just can't contain their enthusiasm about trying this or that, over here or over there, in their new RV, so we learned to look ahead to parking lots (Walmart, Truck Stops, Rest and Hospitality Stops, etc.) where we could park for a not-so-quicky. The 600-HP diesel carried a lot of fuel, but it used a lot too, so that was another time factor.