You're Always 17 Ch. 02

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"What is this?" she asked, holding up the tickets to the CHS reunion.

"Something I stupidly let Julie talk me into. I'd forgotten all about it. You can toss them in the trash."

"Nuhuh! You never tell me or anyone else, from what I hear, about your hometown, your family, or your high school. Unless you're ashamed to show up with me instead of Julie, we're going!"

"Aw, honey, it's a good seven hours from here, and I left there for a reason. Julie used her feminine wiles to talk me into buying the tickets, but I never intended to go. You know that song by Cross Canadian Ragweed, You're Always Seventeen in Your Hometown? No, okay I'll play it for you while we're on the way to Pecos.

"Anyway, I was a seventeen-year-old hellion, and my family and that town were as glad to get rid of me as I was of then! I was shocked when I got the invitation: I had no idea anyone knew where I was or would want me to come!"

"Let's get started for Pecos," she urged, "but I don't give a damn who you were at age 17. You're twenty-eight now, a well-established millionaire businessman with a hot girlfriend, and not bad looking in a Marlboro Man way. I want to go, and to show those people what you've become!"

The way she put it sounded not so bad, but I put CCR on and let her hear the lyrics of their insightful song. She wasn't fazed. "That's not you, and we're going! It's the third weekend of September, so we have plenty of time. By then, I'll have graduated, and I'm hoping to trap some upcoming youngish millionaire into an engagement by then too. I'll have to see if I can find one that loves me enough to marry me, and not just for my sexual prowess; but with my skills I think it's doable."

Well, that established the timeline. Looks like we should spend a few hours on the internet 'just looking at rings, stones, and settings' to get a feel for her preferences. Because there is no chance in hell I'm letting her escape this time!

Katrina outdid herself for breakfast. Hot cakes with honey or three flavors of syrup, thick bacon, sausage patties, and scrambled eggs. Aimless chatter over breakfast became business talk when we took our coffee into the office and were seated. I let Shannon give the report on our meeting with the Assistant Commissioner and Director, and then told them about the informal meeting with Amy the next day.

River laughed and said, "You two make a great team! You charm the ladies and Shannon dazzles the men! Katrina and I have done that a few times, right honey?" She grinned and giggled, which made me want to ask for details, but instead I corrected River.

"You're right about Shannon dazzling the men, but it's not only men. A certain director propositioned her only yesterday!"

I did it to embarrass her, but her comeback broke us up. She shrugged and replied, "As we say in Chi O, why exclude the majority of the population?"

After the laughter died down and Shannon admitted that was joking rather than fact, while admitting she had been propositioned many times by members of her own sex, we got to the Alaniz family. Mom Karen Stockton Alaniz, a blonde/blue looker in her own right, had been rejected by her family after her second year in college "for running off and marrying that Meskin!"

She and David had four children in eight years, with Norma being the eldest, and she had never returned to the workplace. A quick check with former employers, however, proved she was an excellent employee, so River was looking for other opportunities besides cleaning and landscaping with native plants. She was a botany major in college, however, so maybe that was her niche.

David had done every job in the oil field except cleanup, but River was impressed with his intellect and willingness to learn. "He'll be an excellent hand in a few weeks with the right training, and I've already gotten six calls inquiring about jobs from his workmates.

"We didn't talk with Norma for very long, so we're counting on your evaluation of her abilities. Katrina will introduce her to our processes, procedures, and software next week, and we'll go from there. Any thoughts to share?"

Theo and Shannon exchanged looks, and Theo began, "Well, first of all, she's a looker, so account for that in your planning. Secondly, we found her to be bright and quick on her feet, and we're confident she has the work ethic necessary to do a job and also take courses. She is easily embarrassed, but she's a young woman on the verge of blooming, so the job and support for her college courses should help that happen.

"Our guess is that she has been harassed, if not verbally abused, by the important and pretty people with money, but she rode it out through tenacity and concern for the welfare of her family. We think her confidence will rise with success, but she does flinch when frightened and can be intimidated. Shannon proved that by teasing her the night we met. That could be a problem when dealing with irate suppliers, competitors, and stubborn government agencies, so factor that in also.

"She'll be a project, but the outcome is more likely than not to be an absolutely model and loyal employee that we can count on for years to come."

Katrina replied, "Wow, I'm impressed, Mijo! You addressed her affective and emotional side rather than only the cognitive, or her looks! That's quite an advancement from the Theo of a few years back."

"Well, having you, Glenda, my wife, and the one I never got over to remind me, and teach me to be more aware of the vagaries of the feminine mind. I'll never understand it, but I at least try. Shannon, what would you like to add?"

"I just want to know who 'the one you never got over' is."

"Go look in the mirror," I teased back. She jumped up, came around, and sat in my lap.

She gave me one of those kisses, and this one lasted until River warned, "Okay, enough of that, or none of us are going to get anything done today! And, young lady, as your internship supervisor I can assign you to someone else for the duration so my partner can get his work done!"

She hopped up, saluted smartly, and said, "Yes, Sir! I'll be more circumspect in the future, Sir!"

River broke out laughing, and Katrina shook her head. "She's got you figured out, Honey. You have no chance, so just don't try."

Shannon beamed at Katrina, and then grew more serious. "Can you tell me why he is so reluctant to go to his high school reunion? Given his success, I'd think he'd be chafing at the bit to go back and lord it up over the less accomplished classmates. Brad certainly did, a few months back."

"That's not my story to tell, Sweetheart, but I will say his ability to relate to Norma and her family is on a personal level. You two need to talk about that, but he's very reluctant to talk about his family, his school, or his hometown."

"I'm right here, you know," I chided them.

"Are you? Or is only part of you here, and part of you is hidden," Shannon challenged. I looked at Katrina, then River, and asked, "So what does our day look like? All I had on my schedule was this breakfast meeting."

"Undoubtably, we could sit here, drink coffee, and bullshit until five, but the purpose of the breakfast meeting was for you to let us know how the luncheon with Amy Wentworth went, and I still haven't heard anything except she propositioned our intern. Anything else worth mentioning happen?"

"As a matter of fact, she predicted we would be very pleased when the bids came out, and we should be recruiting like mad so we could hit the ground running when the bids are awarded. That's my interpretation of what she said, but it captures the essence of her message, right Intern?"

"Maybe a little more strongly than she said it, but she was trying to be subtle while delivering the message." Shannon confirmed.

"All righty then; that's what I wanted to hear! Shannon, are you prepared to offer the ultimate sacrifice if that's what she demands?" River asked with a straight face.

"Oh, heck yeah! I'll have that butch bitch begging for mercy and assigning all the contracts to us if that's what it takes!"

They all watched her closely to see whether she was giving River hell in return or she meant it. Her poker face lasted a long time, before that hint of a grin appeared on the edges of her mouth.

"Okay, I thought you were bullshitting us, but you sure kept me guessing! I don't think I'll be inviting you to join our poker games," River admitted with a laugh.

Then his eyes cut to me, he sighed, and said, "Now, Partner, what's on your mind?"

I took a deep breath and exhaled slowly before beginning. "Shannon, that rundown trailer of the Alaniz' family that we saw last night? Yeah, make that a tarpaper shack, add rusted and broken road graders and dump trucks, make the mom who appeared in the doorway a nasty drunk dad, and you have my family home.

"Mom was a drunk too. I think it was the only way she could stomach the beatings dear old dad put on her, me, and sometimes my younger brothers.

"I went to school many a time with a black eye, bruised kidney - yeah, he hit the kidneys on purpose because there are no bruises, but the pain lasts for days! I've been to the clinic and the school nurse's office with everything from busted eyes and kidneys, broken ribs, and a bruised spine, to bleeding eardrums, and not once did the people charged with protecting kids like me intervene!

"The sheriff? You've got to be kidding! He's a part of the Smitherman family that runs everything in Cow County, and they don't give a flying fuck about trash like me! When I worked up the courage to file a report on dad when I was 12, he leaned over and told me to stop being a punk and do what I'm told, and daddy wouldn't have to 'correct me' so often.

"The corrections stopped, all right, when I got turned 14, bought a pistol from a gang member, waited until he was mean drunk, and then beat the hell out of him! When I was done, I put the revolver in his mouth and said this was the last time he'd beat me, momma, or anyone else, and he should pray to the Savior for mercy, because he wasn't getting it from me!

"He cried, begged around the barrel, and pissed himself when I released the hammer on an empty chamber. Then I got off him, stuck the pistol in my pants, and told him I'd be alert from now on, and if he beat momma or one of the boys, I'd pistol whip his sorry ass and then shoot him between the eyes! That fixed our relationship for the rest of high school, but I figured someday he'd buy a pistol of his own and shoot me in my sleep.

"I will say he did come to appreciate my success in sports, even if he first told me I was wasting my time playing stupid games when I could be working! I patted the pistol, said I'd work Saturdays, Sundays, and all summer, but I was practicing or playing sports every school night, and then told him to go fuck himself if he didn't like it. So, I played.

"I was good, I got a lot of recognition for the school and town, and he got some jobs because of it. He also received congratulations on my success, and the dumbass somehow thought my success reflected on him, or he was responsible for my success. And maybe he was, in a way.

"The school staff kowtowed to the Smithermans and the other rich kids, but by the time I was seventeen, they had learned not to fuck with me. I carried my bad attitude onto the football field, basketball court, track, and into classrooms, but no one failed me or even sent me to detention. I was 'that smartass Carr kid' among the staff, but I was second team all-state in football, all-district in basketball, and medaled in two events at the state track meet as a senior.

"Shannon's already heard some of this, but she's still on my butt about it and you two have never heard the whole story, so I'm laying it out for you.

"Why don't I want to go to the reunion and see my old classmates? To tell you the truth, I was an angry asshole in high school, and I don't have any friends down there. Yes, I fucked a few girls, but none would care to see me now, and I was pretty good in sports, but my teammates more resented me than appreciated me, and the Smitherman families are still pissed I was the best player and not one of their precious sons!

"So, what is the point? Certainly not me going home to renew old friendships or see my family. Hell, even the little brothers I protected probably resented me for leaving them there when I left!

"So, fuck 'me all!

"How about I take all of you fishing on Red Bluff Lake instead."

It remained quiet after I finished, until Katrina spoke up. "Theo, I've been keeping up with your hometown and the school online. Did you know a guy named Will Callaghan?"

"He's a little older - seems like he married one of the rich girls and it didn't turn out right."

"That's true, but more importantly, he and the other Billy Goat Hill Pundits wrote and sang some songs about the corruption in Cowtown and Cow County, and ultimately brought the whole dreadful bunch down. Quite a few of the Smithermans and their supporters are in prison now, and a bunch of anti-corruption locals have taken office. Some are most likely your classmates and teammates.

"I'm not saying that solves your problems with Cowtown, but at least some good things have taken place, and it seems that a lot of the bad had been swept away."

"That's interesting, but like you said, it doesn't really change my situation. I'm still the punk Carr kid, the angry asshole at seventeen, and that won't change."

Disgusted with my petulance, River spoke up. "Dang it boy, yes it will! You show up with this showgirl on your arm, and Katrina and I with you for support. We'll let everyone know about your business success, your college degree, and your bright future! You be nice to everybody and let them know you aren't the asshole you were at seventeen, and I think you'll be surprised at the reception you'll get!

"I don't know what to expect of your family, but you don't get to pick your family. If they are still shit, maybe you can help them with a nicer house and a little money. Won't cost you much to do that, and it might earn you some goodwill. If not, it will earn you some good will with the Big Man upstairs."

I took another deep breath, let it out slowly, and asked, "So, if I do this, all of you are coming with me the third weekend of September? Because I'm sure as hell not doing it alone!"

They all agreed, and then River teased me about being such a badass at the reunion in Santa Fe but such as pussy about my own. I didn't even retort, but a lot of things ran through my mind.

****

The Alaniz family arrive on Sunday to find cabrito, beans, and rice cooking, and more help unloading than they needed. The younger kids oohed and aahed about the nice trailer they were moving into, Momma shed some tears, Dad looked overwhelmed, and Norma passed out hugs and 'mil gracias' to everyone that helped them move or cooked for the celebration of their arrival.

El Jefe, la Señora Jefe, El Segundo, and la Chica Linda got most of the praise deflected to them, but we sent it on down the line to the people who did the work. Yes, we bought the kid goats and the other groceries, and we let everyone know we'd be appreciative if they would help welcome the newcomers like they had been welcomed when they had joined up, but the men and women who stepped up to cook, set up the fiesta grounds, and moved the families' goods were the ones that should get the thanks.

They did, but Norma gave Shannon and I a nice chunk, and offered her personal thanks to Mr. River and Mrs. Katrina. That girl was cute, and she did know how to hug - Shannon, River, and Katrina agreed!

The fiesta was a lot of fun, it was a chance to get to know Karen and David, and to enjoy their energetic kids, but it ended at ten pm because everyone had to work or train early the next day. Reports from the trainers were positive, and it looked like we hit a gusher with Norma, Karen, and David.

That the bids sheets we received on the orphaned wells looked like we had written them was a nice surprise too. Shannon and I high fived, and then I gave her a hug and a spin.

Our intern continued to impress all summer, even managing to patch things up between Jerry, Doris, and me. They hadn't really been all that upset after I changed the reason from adultery, and we had maintained a good working relationship throughout. We had even gotten new jobs from other ranchers after my escapades at the reunion, but, although we didn't get any new contracts from them, Jerry and Tom had not taken any from us or seemed resentful.

After a full day's dose of Shannon, the women were won over. Doris apologized for her daughter's conduct and let me know how deeply and sincerely Julie now regretted her actions, and a few days later we were offered a contract for thirty more sections. I suspect the intern is going to get another A and maintain her 4.0, but it's a little early to say for sure (eye roll, tongue in cheek).

Shannon's graduation in mid-August was a welcome respite from the brutal heat of the desert basin, and we went to Lubbock a few days early to shop and relax. The ceremony was much smaller than the spring commencement services Brad and I went through, but no one had a cheering section like Shannon, and no one got a louder cheer than when Shannon Alanna Barnes graduated with highest honors!

Her family had reservations at the same steakhouse and at the same dancehall we had cleared that memorable night. The food was as good as I remembered, the band at the dancehall was superior, and we didn't get teased as badly as expected about the fight Shannon started and we ended.

Being with her parents, grandparents, indescribably lovely sisters, and their boyfriends for the first time in over five years was a treat in and of itself. Brad and I had maintained a healthy business relationship over that time, while maintaining the unlikely friendship we had developed in an hour on the gymnasium floor while waiting for our own graduation. But being with him and his slightly pregnant wife made our relationship somehow seem deeper and more personal, if that makes sense.

Glenda and Cindy weren't there but sent lavish gifts of French perfume and panties that wreaked of sex just lying there in the box.

Everyone loved renewing their acquaintances with Katrina and River, of course, and his outrageous job offer stunned Shannon and her daddy. Brad grinned, knowing what was coming; we had won as many state bids as we could handle, and they were lucrative, but we needed more people, and we needed them quickly.

Shannon and I would be in charge of recruiting and training new employees for a variety of positions, in the field and in support, and her brother knew just how irresistible she could be as a recruiter. It was a ton of money for someone's first job, but she was the girl who could get a difficult job done, and River's never been afraid to pay someone for good work.

We chatted, we danced, and we took turns praising the new Summa Cum Laude graduate. She preened and basked, enjoying her moment in the sun, and walking on air about the job offer she had snatched up immediately.

She had danced with Daddy, Grandfather, River, Brad, and me, and, after a brief confab with the band, she, her mother, grandmother, and sisters had performed to some of Grandmother's 60s-70s rock and roll, Mom's classic rock from the 80s and 90s, and the sisters' favorite pop/ rock/ country line dances from this century.

Other women and a few men joined in, but after a brief preview, everyone else in the place either gathered around or achieved vantage points where they could watch. After each song, their vast and enthusiastic audience rained cheers on them in waves.

Angela and Kelly were perhaps more luscious than when I had last seen them; momma Susan was a MILF of the first order, and Grandmother Cecilia, at age 70, was lither and sexier than I had imagined anyone in her age group could be! If Susan and Cecilia were Shannon's future, her husband would be a most fortunate man, but he better have a good endocrinologist to keep his hormones right!