Diminished, Augmented, Altered

Story Info
Notes on love and obsession; romantic chord theory.
740 words
4.7k
0
1
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Major and minor, diminished and augmented, extended and altered; these are the names of chords, expressions of notes of music which, when played together, resonate in us and call up emotions, memories. Most chords are triads: three notes extended and enhanced by their shadow cousins. Music is sustenance to myth and belief, necessary for love and accompaniment to loss.

A girl once gave me a music box and told me to carry it with me always, because music is the soundtrack to the movie of our lives. She was a beautiful young woman, lithe and furtive, knowing and pensive. It was a time in my life when I found myself standing in a nexus of sounds and feelings, of hearts and highways. That music box, playing "Someone To Watch Over Me", became a theme to my theory, notes to my morning song. There began the idea that there are three women in my life at any given time, arrayed around me like a charm, a trinity of naiads, faeries and loreleis with their lilted songs playing out my desire and obsession as steps in their ringed dance.

There is always a woman who wants me, because I am her shade tree, her carpet of grass, her daily table and nightly pillow. She is kind and true, simple in her purity of thought and held fast by loyalty. I have made her mine by naming her, by spreading one arm and letting her head fall on my chest, her dreams mine in which to wander. She loves me and I try to love only her. But I am the hunter and the fields call me, the ocean laps at the edges of my mind, and I cannot stay. She is the one who I will always have but never want.

Singing her siren song to me is another woman, a fearsome binding of elements in the body of a pixie, a nymph with whirlpools and vortices of complication and passion in her eyes. She beckons me to be more, to sing, to pull away the carpet of what is supposed to be and thread new paths into a world that could be, if I would only believe. She spins and delights me, entrances and enthralls. I want her badly and she wants me quickly, but her eyes are quick, darting to other lost boys in the meadow, to capture them in her eternal rite of libation. But I am the hanged man, seeking my own destruction to give birth to something new, and I do not want to go, not yet.

Holding anchor to my tripartite circumscription is yet a third woman, one who is neither angel nor succubus, but who sings a haunting melody of safety and resolution. She is far above me and right behind me, saturating my dream-life with secret words in some immortal, beguiling tongue. She stands before the morning sun and becomes the light, retreats into the sky and becomes my warmth, my unreachable destination. She does not want me so much as she wants me to become that thing only she can touch inside me, to grow beyond being into a constant place of becoming. I cannot want her and she cannot want me, yet I can want nothing else, having divined the rhyme to her runic refrain. I am the fool and I am lost.

There is an idea that, by saying that something is we have captured it and constrained it to be only that thing. By saying someone is, in relation to ourselves, we have made them only that one thing, disallowed them from being more. My idea waxes and wanes, the three women who hold me shift and sway in soft focus and I see their faces change, the redolence of their fragrances become a melange of illusion and fancy. I am in between and carried, elated and depleted.

I do not want to capture someone, to change her; I do not want to be changed. I want to be anywhere else but here and I want to be with her, wherever she is. These are the contradictions that feed my music box with its looping themes, the accompaniment to my filmic memoir. It may be that there is one who is all, but I have no more hope of guiding my story into hers than the hope of rowing my ship across the ocean to meet one pristine, penultimate wave.

  • COMMENTS
1 Comments
Hillary_WoodHillary_Woodover 13 years ago
Triads...that is like reducing Turner to primary colours.

Your analogy might work better with a different subject.

In your first paragraph, you say, "most chords are triads:".

This is not strictly true. In fact few chords remain as triads. Triads are simply the skeletons for more the complex chords, used in much of our favourite music.

In the music of Gershwin, as you put forward, very few chords would be simple triads. Most of the harmony in such music would have four lines at least. (hence four note chords, not triads).

As for altered chords: both augmented and diminished chords can be extended to be "altered" by adding another note, and so "altered" is not a triad.

If you make the generalisation, that music is made of triads, then you may as well say, that Joseph Turner painted "The Fighting Temeraire" in three colours. It would be like dismissing the difference between Bach and Miles Davis, or Mozart and Hendrix.

Now to the real subject.

You seem to be comparing women, to your two dimensional view of the triads. Perhaps you feel that you can recognise, only three distinct types of woman.

Would you equally attempt to paint all womanhood, in three colours?

Succubus, Angel, Siren, Nymph. You named four:

I can add two more : Madonna, whore. (maybe you are more familiar with Freud, than music theory).

You may attempt to disguise this, by pretentiously adopting the style, of a "romantic" poet. It is not romantic. It is not poetic.

This idea "waxes and wanes"... It is my unsubstantiated guess, that something closer to home is waning. (south of here).

It is probable that if you spoke to me "with secret words in some immortal, beguiling tongue".

You wouldn't like what I would say, in my beguiling tongue.

Share this Story

Similar Stories

Enigma Pt. 01 Love Story Between 19 Year Girl And 48 Year Man.in Romance
My Obsession with Jade He falls madly in love and learns its consequences.in Romance
My Girlfriend's Rival He's teased and seduced by his girlfriend's rival.in NonConsent/Reluctance
2023/08/23 - Dan + Bonnie (+Marcel) Flighty Wife and Greener Grass.in Loving Wives
Im Garten Sarah bekommt Besuch von ihrem Cousin.in Incest/Taboo
More Stories