All Comments on 'Of A Lower Star'

by wakingDown

Sort by:
  • 7 Comments
AngelineAngelinealmost 9 years ago
This is really good writing.

The suggestion that begins with the title is fulfilled by the poem, so right off it's a great start. And then you get hit with "Lonely and singing", which is a powerful image. The only thing that doesn't quite work for me is "tendrils reaching into the firmament" because otherwise the setting feels like open space and suddenly we've closed all the distance and are reaching into earth. Maybe it's just my read. I might say something like "tendrils reaching toward a firmament" to keep the logic of a star that is a distant speck, yet continues to reach out.

The layout is excellent imo. You could probably make it even tighter if you wrote it in blank verse. Just a thought. But hey it's really, really good. I'm recommending it. :)

todski28todski28almost 9 years ago
thanks

To Angelina I had a moment to look at this

I really enjoyed the piece but think the syntax in line two would be better re-arranged

And agree with Angeline ' comment also.

Well captured emotion and relate able thoughts in the human condition.

greenmountaineergreenmountaineeralmost 9 years ago

Melancholic without being melodramatic, Walking. You conveyed an image of darkness, something just shy of desperation for me. It felt a bit like a pilgrimage. If so, I wouldn't have used "emptiness." Even though that may be true, a pilgrim still is looking for something that's not empty.

A little heavy on the "ing" for me early on, but that's a quibble, more a matter of my preference and mentioned only to provoke some thought on your part.

Didn't you mean "his" in the second to last line instead of "their?" I don't see anything plural in the poem as an antecedent.

I don't read everyone when I visit New Poems. I do you.

Ashesh9Ashesh9almost 9 years ago
Sorry to respond late , Wakin' : am in far off

Sydney where WiFi is scarce ......5-ed !!

legerdemerlegerdemeralmost 9 years ago
Melancholy

Beautiful lines twining and twinning with each other. ( sorry, I couldn't resist) It feels like you've cut off gravity, and I'm spinning slowly and out of control into nowhere and everywhere. The last couplet is a wonderful closing.

PiscatorPiscatorover 8 years ago
High praise for Low Star

Congrats for your win the month Your poem took me to places I've never been.

But I agree with Angeline, that the third stanza seems a bit disjointed. After looking at this NASA video, I quite get your awe at tendrils.

http://www.space.com/15154-dancing-star-sun-magnetic-tendrils-share-plasma-video.htm

You might want to try revising the next line to something like this

"Cast off into the void, never to return"

tazz317tazz317over 8 years ago
THE LONELY TRAVELER

seeking in the cosmos/

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous