All Comments on 'Aye pet, aal the way'

by Alex De Kok

Sort by:
  • 24 Comments
AnonymousAnonymousabout 20 years ago
Writing with dialect

Obviously, you've put a great deal of effort into this story and it shows. Well done!

You're a gifted writer and undoubtedly, should you take the plunge, will be both published and popular, if in fact you haven't already done so.

I only vote on stories which I feel comfortable in giving a rating of "5" for content as well as style, grammer, etc. Incidently, I've voted on quite a number of your stories.

I am an American, Californian no less, so would like to know where this story's dialect is spoken. Also, what precisely is a Geordie? Please pardon this apparent gap in my Anglophiliac pursuits.

By the way, I also have experimented a bit with dialect in my Jeremy stories on Literotica. My attempts deal more with rythym and structure rather than your more challenging efforts at phonetic spelling. In any event, should you care to take a look, I believe my stories have been shuttled off into the Sci-fi/fantasy category. I write under the name, Gil.

All the best with your future endeavors; keep writing!

Gil

Ms.RotfeuerMs.Rotfeueralmost 20 years ago
Unexpected Surprise

*~*

The ending to First Time is fabulous! I nearly laughed myself out of my chair! The natural way Alex incorporates the accents into his story is fantastic; like Gil I too am from California and I don't really know what Geordie is much less what it really sounds like but I imagined it similar to the guys in "The Full Monty" or "An Everlasting Piece".

I understand how difficult it is to phonetically write a dialect and I believe Alex has written a formidable first attempt. I translate difficult words phonetically for my husband so that he understands how to pronounce them so I agree they often look very different from their proper form.

It is a sign of a good author to be able to write legiblly in a dialect. One of the most notable dialect writers being Mark Twain of course. I do believe your work could be very successfully published, Alex.

*~*

AnonymousAnonymousover 19 years ago
A Richt Guid Yin

Weel, Alex, bein a Scot ma'sel ah enjoyed raiding yer tale. Hae'n been out wi a puckle o yer lasses ah thocht yer try tae get the accent richt was fair spot oan.

Ah hope ye'll gae it anither go

AnonymousAnonymousover 19 years ago
Yer a canny ganna, Mr De Kok

Great story, superb ending. Loved the treatment of the dialect, and as I read it I could hear my parents' voices. When I started school I thought the little brown birds that flew everywhere were called spuggies. The teacher had to explain about sparrows.

I grew up in Canada (where we can often find a tin of Broon), with my near-Geordie parents. I'm the son and grand-son of Freemen of the Borough (now city) of Sunderland. Close enough to Geordieland?

For the sake of the writers who didn't know what Geordies are, they are, strictly speaking, inhabitants of Tyneside, who can sing all the verses of 'The Blaydon Races'. Wearsiders can get along in Geordie, as Canadians can understand most Americans.

If you can find a language record entitled "Larn Yersel' Geordie" you'll get the idea of how it sounds.

Please, giz a bit more.

AUrelian

LazaroLazaroover 19 years ago
Brilliantly written

I absolutely adored this story. Coming from Chicago, I didn’t really get a lot of the pronunciation the first time around… LOL it wasn’t anything a bit of effort couldn’t work out though.

To quote Gil above,

I am an American, Californian no less, so would like to know where this story's dialect is spoken. Also, what precisely is a Geordie? Please pardon this apparent gap in my Anglophiliac pursuits.

Looking forward to more of your work and figuring out where is Geordie…

AnonymousAnonymousabout 19 years ago
ace!

i liked it a lot! and the dialect was brilliant! being from down south it was fun! good job!

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 19 years ago
nicely done

Had away ye canny lad - from an ex S. Shields lad -

Always more difficult to write it than say it - but you managed it very well

Bridget69Bridget69over 18 years ago
Aye! much enjoyed...

aal the way through. The dialogue was a bit distracting, but overall, the story was great. Also loved the "twist" ending.

SapphicMojoSapphicMojoalmost 18 years ago
You've done it again.

Another excellent story, Alex. The dialect was a tad distracting, but I really enjoyed it once I got my mind around the phonetics. It gave voice to the characters and pulled me just a bit deeper into the story.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 17 years ago
It

wor awreight mi duck,but ar lasses wore knickers(sometimes)not panties.

Scotsman69Scotsman69about 13 years ago
Not so sure about the story...

but your attempt to render dialect phonetically is excellent. I'm Scots, but spent part of my student days in Newcastle, and know Northumberland (giving my age away here) and Co Durham well.

I know the issues. In many of my stories I incorporate Scots into dialogue, but occasionally in narrative also. I love the language of my wee land, and am unapologetic about using it in the face of the barrage of North American assumptions on Lit.

Well done for this.

estragonestragonover 12 years ago
Excellent Rendering

of Geordie. The Blaydon Races was the march of the Ould Bould Fifth, in Burma and elsewhere, the Northumberland Fusiliers of Doctor Watson fame, although a certain Scot named George MacDonald Fraser once described Geordieland as "rather like the Australian Outback, with coal mines". Great story, good, hot and sweet, and the dialect, as others pointed out, was "spot oan". And "Broun" is known around here (East Coast USA) as "nukie"--as in--you get the picture.

ChucksSiteChucksSiteover 12 years ago
I'm Mixed About This One .....

I guess that I just overlooked the language and read into it my own translation so as not to interrupt the story line. I'll buy the reports that said you made a good representation of the speech, but for me I couldn't say one way or the other. It did, I think, add an interest factor to an otherwise excellent First Time story, though not too different from many others. The accommodation to "Mam" at the end sets this story apart from those others, however. And, for only a one pager, it got in a lot of eroticism and obviously left the gate open for more. Bottom line for me - I liked the effort with the dialogue and the more readable descriptions and would be willing to sample more of the same.

AverygoodlayAverygoodlayover 12 years ago
It was different

It was different from what I'm use to reading, however I was able to keep up with the language and found it a delightful story and colorful.

I also like that it was an act of Love as well as Passion and not filled with a huge cock as a lot of stories are.

bowlerhatbowlerhatover 10 years ago
Bostin

Being a potter myself I can't vouch for the complete accuracy of the Geordie dialect but it seemed to have the rhythm and bluntness that I remember from miners who had moved hear from the north east.

Mag58Mag58almost 10 years ago
Dead canny, like!

I read this years ago and gave it 5 stars and it's worth another 5 now. I'd love to read (and even write) more like this. Loved it.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 10 years ago
Great little story.

Story felt warm and real. It helped with me being from the n_e uk I think.

Great little story.

AnonymousAnonymousover 9 years ago
I read this garbage 8m ago and gave it a 1* !

I just re-skimmed it and its still worth 1* !

AnonymousAnonymousover 3 years ago
Lovely story, well told

Really enjoyed this story! Reminds me of Sons and Lovers, very genuine.

ANessexBouyANessexBouyabout 3 years ago

For someone who professes to be a Geordie, your stories make me uncomfortable.

You seem to want to write as an American, forsaking your 'natural' "mam" for "mom" - for example - and adopting the American 'culture' rather than writing about your own.

And don't apologise for writing speech in your own dialect!

But at least you didn't forsake the 'u' in "neighbours".

jcus0511jcus0511over 1 year ago

Thanks for a story with Geordies as main characters. I can imagine the language & the very particular Geordie expressions might drive American readers mad. In general you nailed all the cultural bits but a reference to Newcastle United wouldn’t have gone astray. As to the story line I found it somewhat disappointing. It was obviously just a vehicle for the other part of this project and really it comes across as pretty lame and lacking passion so as erotic literature I wasn’t engaged. As a Geordie though I would love to see more of your future stories continue to reflect the special place that is the Tyneside and celebrate a world outside of London and down south but do so in a more erotic & original settings.

Campus77Campus7710 months ago

It was a pretty easy read, much to my surprise. A fun one too! Good characters doin' what comes naturally.

AnonymousAnonymous5 months ago

Great to hear local dialect

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous
userAlex De Kok@Alex De Kok
1368 Followers
July 13, 2023 - As some of you have no doubt realised, I'm writing again, albeit very slowly. My late wife was a writer as well, although not on Literotica, and I think she would have wanted me to continue. May 24, 2021 - I haven't posted anything for some time now, and it ma...