A Stone Cut without Hands Ch. 03

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"The bottom line is that Courtney would not have had the mental resources to resist the rape, let alone commit the vandalism or thefts," she finished.

Still worried about her, George cautioned, "I understand your position and your motivations and I don't blame you for feeling the way you do. But I'd like you to understand me just as completely. The only thing I'm concerned about is Courtney. I'm not interested in punishing anyone or righting a wrong or fixing society, unless it would help her. I intend to do everything I can to make sure she ends up free and happy, no matter who else does or doesn't get hurt.

"I'm convinced it'd be in Courtney's best interest if you didn't discuss either your opinions or these reports with anyone else without talking to me first and I'd be grateful if these files were misplaced so that no one but you could find them.

"I'm sure that you're aware of the probability that we could easily win Courtney's freedom and yet lose her happiness and maybe even her life. Even without the legal threat, she's vulnerable. She has nowhere to live, no means of support and no friends. She's very naïve, sexually and socially inexperienced and she's been traumatized by rape.

The nurse's reaction to George's claim of sexual inexperience made him wince, but he powered on, "That set of problems is nearly impossible to overcome, so without me, she doesn't have a chance.

"You might not like some of the things I'll be doing to help her, but if you question one of my decisions, you should compare what I'm doing to save her to the help being provided by the county, yourself included. Then ask yourself which is better. Now, I need to know if you've evaluated her for the risk of pregnancy."

The blood draining from the nurse's face and the tears flooding her eyes again were all the answer George needed. "Did you even try to contact her mother?" After a shake of her head, George continued pushing, "Who's liable for the hospital's expenses?"

"We're reimbursed by the county for indigent prisoners," she answered in a subdued tone.

"How urgent is it to determine the pregnancy risk and what are the options if it's high?" George pushed again.

"Absolutely critical and the morning after pill might still be effective," she answered all business now. Without hesitation, she picked up the phone and punched a programmed number. "Hello, Dr. Almire, this is Nurse Hastings. I've just been reminded that we didn't complete an evaluation for the risk of pregnancy on that rape victim that was admitted last weekend. You remember the big fuss over the sheriff removing her to the jail right after she regained consciousness. ... Well, we thought she was only being taken for questioning and that they'd bring her back. When they didn't, the pregnancy evaluation kind of slipped through the cracks. ... Yes, I believe we have some risk of a liability. ... If you'll order it, I'll be happy to go to the jail and complete it now. ... Gina can handle the patients while I'm gone. ... Ok, I'll leave immediately. ..."

"Nurse, before you hang up, you might want advise the doctor that Courtney will not allow an examination without me being there," George interrupted.

"... Doctor, it appears that we have an added complication. Courtney has a friend who is trying to help her and he's advised her not to allow an examination unless he's present. Can you add that to the order? ... His name is George Marshal. .... Yes. Thank you and goodbye."

"There's one more thing that I'm going to insist upon," George added as she hung up. "We shouldn't add more stress to the load that she's already under, so I don't want you to tell her it's a pregnancy evaluation. Just tell her that it's a follow-up medical exam."

"I concur and will do as you request," Nurse Hastings said, nodding. "Let me page Gina. I need to tell her where we're going."

On the way, George couldn't help but notice a song stuck in his head;
Tonight's the night I've waited for
Because you're not a baby anymore
You've turned into the prettiest girl I've ever seen
Happy birthday sweet eighteen

_________

What happened to that funny face
My little tomboy now wears satin and lace
I can't believe my eyes you're just a teenage dream
Happy birthday sweet eighteen

12