Adage of the Snow-Water Ch. 01

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"No what's your problem?" he retorted even as he stuffed cake into his mouth.

You're such a dick.

At least I know what one looks like.

I'm telling Ahizpa.

Dare you to.

Don't think I won't!

Then I'll tell her you have the hots for Mr Hot Rod here.

"Angelo!" Kissa's scream was a strained screech like nails over a chalkboard.

"What'd I do?" he grinned, pleased with himself.

"For goodness sake! You were all 'I miss you' just an hour ago and now you want to kill each other already?" Aria clearly didn't think being an Archangel made parenting her siblings any less easier. Upset that they had to forgo dessert, Aria stood up, arms crossed in disapproval. "Chioni, Marcus please take your charges. I need to speak to Lucian alone."

The two trainer Ordinals got up immediately, chaperoning the minors out of the room.

"It's going to be nearly impossible to have those two over in time to come," sighed Aria.

"I could kill him for you." The suggestion was made unflinchingly as he swung his feet back and forth while balancing on two legs of the chair.

"Lucian..."

"Aria..."

The two burst into laughter.

"Oh Lucian... This is all happening so fast. She's just a baby!"

"Not forever, Cardinal. We both know it's inevitable - just like how you and Archangel Zillarezko were. No amount of chains were going to put you down."

Her lips curled up in a smile but the whirlpool in her eyes lost their strength. "I miss him."

"He'll be here soon enough. He won't miss your coronation for the world. It's going to be very special, I just know it."

***

The coronation ceremony was in five days and while the Cove was being dressed up for the occasion, Aria didn't allow her siblings to cut slack on their training.

At sunrise, she ordered them to the water's surface to resume training. Lucian had chosen an abandoned island nearest to them and set the pairs to work. Marcus had immediately voted to take Angelo deeper into the forested parts to work on his reconnaissance skills.

Chióni on the other hand remained on the sandy beaches. Kissa was not ready for terrain training. It was not her nature to fight and while she had been brilliant in setting up her defences, Kissa had barely any offense capability -which was why Chióni was pushing the girl so hard.

She had upgraded the shy Water Angel from a sword to a double-sided naginata to force Kissa into attacking from all fronts.

"For goodness sake Kissa, you're not even trying!" chided Chióni as she disarmed her opponent in the blink of an eye; Kissa landing hard on her back, her weapon now pointing at her face.

"Again!"

It wasn't long before Kissa got knocked out with a blow to her jaw but Chióni was already pulling her up and thrusting a new weapon to the Water Angel - a cross bow and arrow.

"Try not to bore me," she warned before taking flight.

Lucian watched as the Snow Angel evaded every one of Kissa's attack. She was captivating with her fluid movements and graceful executions -even for an Ice princess. He used the term deliberately to annoy her, simply enjoying the rare flecks of temper she'd reserved specially for him.

It was official -he was a sadist.

But a pretty one.

Watching Kissa fall on her back for the umpteenth time, Lucian decided that it was time for a break. Chióni had descended, her hand stretched out to help Kissa to her feet but Lucian would have none of that.

Moving swiftly towards them, his lavender wings purposefully brushing against icy feathers as he bent forward to pull Kissa up and press a kiss on her cheek. It pleased him to hear a disgruntled huff from his subject of interest.

"Kissa, practice on your wing movements. I don't want to have them slapping my face every time you lose your balance."

"Yes Chióni."

"Okay, you can go rest now. I'll see you tomorrow."

The gentle pre-Cardinal bowed slightly before dashing off. Lucian knew where his little Angel went at this time of the day. It was their little secret.

Finally alone, Lucian fluttered close to Chióni, his lavender wings gently caressing hers -by accident of course.

"What do you want?" her curt question did nothing to wipe his smile.

"You're too hard on her."

Chióni didn't say anything and instead started to pick up the cross bow and arrows on the sand. She was aware of Lucian coming even closer; his fingers playing with her sun bleached golden hair.

"Stop that," she commanded -to no effect. The Light Angel continued toying with the ringlets as if they were his own. "Light Angel, if you treasure your hand, you will stop that immediately."

His response was to tap her lips with his fingers. "Tut tut. Such threats coming from a pretty mouth. I ought to kiss it all away."

Chióni slanted him her most disgusted look. To his credit, Lucian didn't flinch. "Go flirt with someone else Lucian."

Fluttering his long -and devilishly distracting -lashes, Lucian leaned closer until their noses touched. "I'd like to flirt with you my Ice princess. You're so much more exciting to play with."

She sent a line of Ice shards up his arm, causing him to jump in shock.

But to her annoyance, he grinned. The Ice had melted so easily with a touch of his hand; the radiating warmth glowing yellow in his palms. Chióni kept her eyes on them. One touch and she might just melt -literally.

So for the first time in her life, Chióni withdrew from battle, if she could call it so. As much as the Light Angel annoyed her, he had a way of crawling into people's hearts and making them do things for him... liking him. But Chióni wasn't most people.

***

Later that day, Chióni found Aria and Kissa working on her coronation dress. It was impressive how the sisters managed to create a dress that was pure liquid and yet sturdy and solid enough like ice.

"Cardinal, if I may speak my mind."

"Of course." Pausing her sewing, Aria looked up in attention.

Chióni straightened her back and leaned closer to whisper. "I urge you to reconsider inducting the Light Angel into our service. I find him unbearable to work with."

Unable to hold back her laughter, Aria covered her mouth with both hands, much to the annoyance of the Ordinal.

"I'm serious, Cardinal!"

"So am I!" Aria flicked a tear from the corner of her eyes. "He's been a treasure and I wouldn't be here if it wasn't for him. You just need to lower your guard slightly Chióni and you'll see what a gem he is."

Chióni pursed her lips in disagreement. Lowering her guard was exactly what she was afraid would happen. There was no way that she'd let a pompous, charm-talking butterfly past her defences.

"Fine. But I will not claim responsibility for any injuries inflicted on said Ordinal."

"Deal," replied Aria, still chuckling as she picked up her coronation dress.

Leaving the sisters, Chióni made her way to her quarters for an early night. Aria had assigned her to assess if any of the new Water Angels that had followed them to the nearby islands were potential Ordinals for her service. It was going to be a long day.

Which was why the scent of lavender in the air irked her senses. Fighting the urge to kick down her door, Chióni opened it gently in a bid to surprise her intruder.

Her patience lasted a second.

"What are you doing here?" she snapped. He was rummaging her fridge with a slice of cheese in between his lips and a tub tucked under his arm. "And that's mine. Get your own damn ice cream!"

Her irritated tone was fuel for his mischief as he flashed her a look that was devoid of any guilt.

Lucian lived for moments like these -when she was so caught up with her emotions that she forgot to keep her guard up. Still chewing on the cheese with a spoon in his hand, he shrugged. "I'm seducing you."

He said it so matter-of-factly that Chióni was sure it was tongue-in-cheek. Damn him! Always saying ridiculous things to rile her for nothing.

"Yeah, go seduce the other Angels. You know they enjoy it."

His reply was to grin, neither denying nor confirming her statement. Somehow that annoyed her even more.

"I'm not good company for Light Angels -especially when I haven't had my dinner. Now move or I'll freeze your ass."

"Aww... my ass isn't half that bad. Tell you what. Why don't you sit down and I'll make dinner?" At her suspicious look, he winked. "I promise I won't deliberately add love potions."

Chióni didn't even bother to snort. She simply walked away towards her sleeping quarters, slamming the door behind her.

He watched the sway of her hips even as she stormed off and knew his sadistic streak was going to get him in trouble -not that he'd minded if she was the one giving the punishment. It had been gratifying enough to see that beneath all that frigid veneer was a temper too wild to be tamed.

It made him think of other heated passions and shook his head. That would be for another time. Tonight, he was going to keep to his word.

Rummaging through her kitchen, Lucian waltz his way from sink to stove and allowed his ministrations to stew before leaving her quarters to head towards his own.

Meanwhile, Chióni was trying very hard to ignore the aroma that was seeping into her bedroom but the rumble in her stomach was proving mutinous. At the turn of the lock of her front door, she peeped out to make sure he had left.

Grateful for the warmth of the broth, Chióni sat at her table and sighed. Damn it can he cook!

"Alright! I admit it. He's a gem."

Hating herself for the admission, Chióni considered the Light Angel's appeal.

Though Lucian had a face that was boyishly pretty, it wasn't delicately so. The stubborn tilt of his chin, expanding into a hard jawline often reflected an unflinchingly adult expression in his eyes. His lovers would no doubt have paraded him around like a trophy -something he would gladly partake -but Chióni had seen the loneliness beneath all the baubles and knew it was all a mask.

Still... he annoyed her to the bone.

***

It was still dark when Chióni surfaced on land with Kissa in tow. The sleepy-eyed Angel was nearly tripping over her own wings but she made no complaint as they trudged up to the farthest edge of the island where sand receded to rocks.

Looking up at the towering lighthouse, Chióni caught sight of Lucian standing by his window, his face tilted towards the oncoming rise of the sun.

Archangel Aria had granted him this exception to live above water - much to her chagrin.

But watching him take in the glow and warmth of the sunlight in that moment, Chióni realised how little she knew of the existence and complexities of other Angel clans.

Like a morning glory, his lavender wings seemed to absorb the welcoming rays; bursting into a radiant glow of purple. His face lit with smiles finally looked down at his waiting visitors.

Spreading his wings, Lucian took a leap out of his window and landed in front of Chióni and Kissa.

"Let's go! Lots to do, lots to see!" he chirped, one arm curled around each of them. While Kissa leaned gratefully against him, Chióni gave a low growl and pulled away, choosing to fly ahead.

"Catch up," she warned, flapping her wings hard in an attempt to catch the morning breeze.

By noon however, the three Angels found themselves sitting under a palm tree on one of the inhabited islands. The former Snow-Water Angels were not interested in becoming Ordinals. For most, adapting to the new climate and abilities was a struggle. Chióni had spent a good portion of the morning teaching them how to shed the ice coating on their wings and she was now exhausted.

"It feels wrong not to feel any connection to them," said Kissa as she cut open a coconut. "I thought we'd feel a sense of something... but nothing."

"It'll take some time," Chióni reassured her. Not everyone is resilient to adapt to change - especially not those who have been under the harsh rule of Archangel Yuki. It had been mandatory for all displays and features of water to be eradicated under her reign. To re-learn how to play with your element again would be a feat especially for those who were born after the Water-ban. They would probably not even know that Snow and Ice were forms of Water much less know how to create water and manipulate it.

Lucian caught her gaze for a moment and she saw that he understood what she was not saying to the young Water Angel. It comforted her slightly.

"Chióni..." Kissa suddenly dropped the coconut she was drinking from. The sand beneath them was trembling; the palm trees above them shaking vigorously.

"Up!" ordered Chióni; her wings catching the steady gusts in the air with Lucian not far behind. She barely had time to turn and help Kissa when the earth gaped wide open like a yawning whale.

"Chióni!" Kissa's scream was like an arrow piercing the air between them; her fingers desperately clutching at the soil even as it was trying to swallow her whole. The Snow-Water Ordinal was by her side within a heartbeat, her hands wrapped tight around the young Angel as she fought hard against the tempestuous winds caused by the earthquake.

Almost as quickly as it started, the tremors ended. Still mid-air, Chióni kept position, her eyes zeroing in on a single movement shrouded by the unsettled dust.

Lucian.

I see it

He was barely a flicker of a light as he zoomed straight into the cavern. Lucian was sure he recognised the seismic energy radiating from the earthquake earlier. There was no mistaking the gravitational power that can only be manipulated by -

An Earth Cardinal.

***

Glossary

Cardinal - an Angel of the highest rank. Usually the reigning Archangel. Less than 3 per clan at every one time.

Ordinal - an Angel of the second highest rank. Often forming part of an Archangel's service. Less than 25 per clan

Clans - Angel clans by the elements (light, darkness, fire, water (sometimes referred as snow-water or snow), earth and metal.

Valkyrie - former angels who have given up their wings to live as mortals. Often Valkyries are conscripted to be part of armies and mercenaries for Archangels

Snow-water /snow angels - angels who were under the reign of Yuki and/or still display such characteristics. Chióni is often still referred to as a Snow-Water Ordinal because of her physical appearance that has both ice and water elements.

12