Brian's Adventures Ch. 12

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
tempter
tempter
48 Followers

"Well, Shelea and I were making our way out of town by the most direct route possible. We had woken up a little later than I had hoped, but made the best of it anyways." Treabilla said and took a breath to steady her nerves, Yeoline still held her and stroked the far side of Treabilla's torso in support. "We were going slowly, crossing from one building to the next, one at a time. I would go first and then check to see if it was clear and signal Shelea to go. It was going fine until we reached the outskirts of town. We were near the outer buildings and could see past them to the wooded glen beyond." Treabilla said and paused.

"So far, so good, what went wrong?" I asked curiously with a disdainful glance to the scruffy stranger.

"I had crossed over the last road and was pressed up against one of the outer buildings and was about to signal Shelea to cross when around the corner comes a Guard. Dumb luck tripped us up, that's all, dumb luck!" Treabilla cursed to herself.

"Then what?" Jealile prodded; we were all curious to know how it turned out to be the mess that it did.

"She asked me what I was doing and I told her that I couldn't sleep and was out for an early morning stroll." Treabilla started to explain. "I got the idea that she fancied me, so I played her up a bit. It was the only thing I could do, I was hoping to simply sweet talk my way past her." Treabilla explained.

"You heartbreaker you." I teased with my voice full of cheek.

"I didn't have much choice! I didn't want to assault her, that would have created too much of a scene and there would be hell to pay when she woke up!" Treabilla said and tossed a light scowl in the direction of Shelea who winced at this and looked sheepish for the moment.

"Where was Shelea in all this? Was she discovered as well?" I asked curiously.

"No and I wasn't worried about her because I told her that if anything should happen to me, she was to meet up with you guys, inform you of what happened and wait for me." Treabilla said and another disapproving look was tossed in the direction of Shelea, and another sheepish look was given in return.

"That's sensible, so what happened?" I asked curious to know the nature of these scowls.

"Well, I had talked my way into the Guard's home, apparently she lived in that house with a few other Guards. The others were on duty and were not due back for an hour or so. I decided to play her up as best as I could, see what useful information I could get from her and when possible, slip away." Treabilla finished plainly. "It wasn't the first time I had to do this little routine and it always worked for me in the past." She finished with a proud look.

"Sounds good, what happened?" Jealile asked with a curious lilt.

"They did!" Treabilla pointed to Shelea and the scruffy stranger.

"Okay Shelea, tell us your version of events." I asked now more curious then ever to find out why we had to leave in such a hurry.

"Well like she said, everything was fine until she got caught. I stayed still, just like she told me to. When I saw her go inside the house with that Guard I panicked! I know she told me to leave her there but I just couldn't!" Shelea started to explain, a little excitable at this point. "I tried but I just couldn't leave her there to who knows what end? I didn't want to abandon a friend like that!" Shelea said and tossed a miffed look back at Treabilla.

"You weren't abandoning me! I told you I could take care of myself! I was doing fine until you showed up and made a mess of it!" Treabilla exploded with frustration.

"Slow down, I want to hear what she has to say!" I said and indicated for Shelea to continue.

"I made my way toward the Inn to see if you were outside yet, but I saw that you were occupied with a mess of your own. So I waited until later to get your attention, but when I returned you were gone! I tried to look natural and walked plainly but unnoticeably as I tried to think of what to do. I had not gone far, only a few blocks over. As I neared the house where Treabilla was I ran into Rialtige here." Shelea said and motioned to the scruffy stranger sitting next to me.

He extended his hand and I shook it firmly and greeted him politely. At that point everyone introduced themselves and shook hands with him, afterward Shelea got back to her story.

"I was still trying to figure out how to help Treabilla and was lost in my own thoughts and I literally bumped into him!" Shelea laughed. "We got to talking and he noticed that I was upset and asked if he could help. He seemed nice enough and everything, so I told him about Treabilla. He said he could help but just wanted transportation out of town in return. I was so worried about Treabilla so I agreed to take him as far as the next town." Shelea said and then looked directly at me. "I didn't know what else to do. Are you mad at me?" She asked me tentatively.

"You did what you thought was best dear. After all we are passing through the next town anyways so no harm was done." Jealile said to Shelea but it was more for my benefit then Shelea's. Jealile had cut me off and I begrudgingly saw her point of view and stowed my chosen words for the moment.

"She's right, you did what you thought was best and were only trying to help a friend in need." I said with a warm smile. "Continue your story, what happened next?" I prodded gently.

"Well, some time had passed since Treabilla had gone inside when we got back to the house she was in." Shelea began. "This was the point that I let Rialtige take the lead." Shelea finished and looked at Rialtige expecting him to take over explaining the story.

"Well, like the young lady said, I was minding my own business, making my own way out of town when she ran into me. She was quite worried about her friend, and not being one to leave a lass in distress, I offered to help out. Truth be told I didn't really know what I was getting myself into when I made that deal but a deal's a deal I always say." He started to say and had a sort of lyrical quality to his voice. He spoke in almost an even tempo that seemed to be second nature to him but would be hard to imitate. "When we arrived at the house in question I looked inside and saw two women inside. From where I stood they were . . . um . . . 'getting acquainted' if you get my meaning sir." He said the last part to me carefully and quietly.

"I see." I said with a smirk to Treabilla, knowing full well what he was talking about.

"I am not one to judge about such things. Tis none of my business as far as I'm concerned, but I was told this was a rescue and rescue the lass I would!" Rialtige said with firmly and warmly. "As I looked in the building I saw that Treabilla was kneeling on the floor in front of the Guard she was 'entertaining'. The Guard in question was enjoying the 'efforts' of Treabilla and didn't notice much else." Rialtige said delicately and continued. "I snuck inside the door unnoticed, but as they were 'otherwise occupied' this was not a difficult task. The Guard had a firm grasp of Treabilla's hair and would not let go without a fight I could tell. Simplest thing I could figure was a good whack on the noggin, not fancy but effective. So with the aid of a helmet I found just inside the door I gave her a good clonk on the head and she was out. However, Treabilla was so engrossed in her . . . er. . work that she hadn't notice me either." Rialtige said with a chuckle.

"Scared the shit out of me he did!" Treabilla said sounding still a bit miffed about the whole thing. "One minute I was taking care of things, quite handily I might add." Treabilla started but was cut off.

"Looked that way to me." Rialtige interrupted but got a glare from Treabilla.

"One minute I was about to bring her off mightily, then as she was recovering I was going to slip out." Treabilla said and sighed heavily. "But when this one knocked her out he scared me so I screamed before I could stop myself." Treabilla said through gritted teeth; clearly the distance and time had not softened her feelings of the events. "That's when Shelea bursts in one hurried burst of words brings up to date. I almost didn't fully understand what she said, as she was in such a panicked muddle." Treabilla said with a light chuckle and a shake of her head. "I balled her out for a moment before realizing that we had to get out because the Guards were due to arrive in a few moments! Not to mention that my scream would bring unwanted attention. In short we didn't want to be around to greet anyone who would come to investigate. After that we rushed out of town as quietly and quickly as we could, but once we were a distance away we ran as hard as we could." Treabilla finished with bit of a snort. "As near as I can figure, she would have been discovered or woke up about the time we met back up with you." Treabilla said with a reflective look.

"No wonder you were all in such a hurry!" I chuckled lightly as I now understood the events that took place, or at least most of them. "What I don't understand is why you were trying to leave town in such a hurry?" I asked Rialtige as is gave him a curious look. "Do you mind telling us your story? Don't you have a family looking for you?" I asked expectantly and waited to hear what he had to say.

It seemed odd to find a young man wandering, looking as a beggar in a land that had so few men and prided them so much. In a land where a man was near nobility simply because of the rarity of being a man I found it odd to find one wandering about. He did not look much older than Shelea, and in my way of thinking he should be at home learning the family business or something of the like. If he was a wanted criminal, that was the last thing we needed on this trip. If we were to leave him by the side of the road I wanted to know sooner rather than later.

"Well now, that's a good and fair question and I don't mind answering it, provided you fine people tell me your story after." Rialtige asked with a raised eyebrow expecting a response so I nodded affirmatively at him. "I can already see that you're reasonable and honorable sort so I'll take you at your word. I am Rialtige as you know and I bet you're wondering what a young man like myself is doing in such a condition." Rialtige started out and paused to focus our attention on him.

"The thought did cross our minds considering most men your age are apprenticing somewhere or doing something worthwhile." Jealile asked curiously with the hint of a smirk.

"Aye that they are indeed, and so should I but for one problem." He paused with a sigh and stole a quick glance down Jealile's dress "I haven't found anything that appeals to me rightly yet but I am looking." Rialtige paused and sighed.

"What about the family business? Won't your Father expect you to carry that on?" Jealile asked the question curious that we were all wondering at that moment.

"He would like me to, but rest assured that is well in hand with my brothers." Rialtige started out. "You see, I'm the third son of a Treefarmer, we've been farming these trees for generations. My oldest Brother practically runs the business now, giving Father time for other pursuits. My other Brother had started his own Treefarm a few years back so there was little left for me when my turn came to start my Treefarm. When it became clear that all I would get is an axe and some good advice I got to thinking. I said to myself that if I was going to have to start from scratch, why shouldn't it be doing something I liked? I don't know what that is just yet, but I know it isn't Treefarming! There's got to be something better out there then that. I don't know what I want yet, but I know I want something more." Rialtige said and fell silent, leaving us to ponder his words.

I for one found his story all too familiar. I too knew well what it was like to leave your perfectly good home and go in search of something better. He may have looked a little scruffy around the edges but I could see now that it was just the road worn look. I might have looked the same when I entered the great city back in England in search of my unknown future. It seemed strange to feel something in common with someone on this island so far from my home. Even though I knew very little about him, it didn't seem right to toss him to the side of the road, it would have been like tossing myself out.

"The last question I have is why were you in such a hurry to leave town Rialtige?" Jealile asked with curious intent.

"Oh that. Well, things have not been as well as they could be." He said shamefacedly. "Well, a man still has to eat you understand." He said in a way that told us that he was not proud of what he had done.

"So you stole a meal did you?" I replied in an understanding tone. Back in England, I had to do that once or twice, not something you like to do but something you do when you have no other choice.

"In a manner of speaking yes." He admitted regretfully. "I may have had a word or two with the Innkeeper's daughter. I ran into her late last night and she was going on and on about that Estate Master Lord fellow and so I offered a sympathetic ear and she fed me a fine meal." Rialtige said carefully and somewhat sheepishly.

"Hardly worth running from town over." Jealile said with a doubtful look that we all shared.

"Well, I may have embellished the truth a little bit. Thrown in a few interesting 'tales' to keep her interest up and the food coming." Rialtige said even more sheepishly. "I didn't see the harm, I mean he would have been gone by morning and all. I get a meal, she gets a few stories to her liking, what's the harm?"

"So we have you to thank for that 'warm sendoff' this morning?" Yeoline said with a stern look of disapproval.

"What? . . . You? . . . You're a Lord?" Rialtige said to me with astonishment and disbelief that almost made him fall out of the wagon.

"I never said I was a Lord!" I growled back. "Someone else said that!" I growled lighter and fell silent.

"So all that 'Estate' stuff was just talk. Trying to get a better room were you?" Rialtige asked in a conspiratory tone adding in an understanding chuckle of his own.

"No, that part was true. For better or worse we are going to Kincaid. I have been awarded it, though now I feel I know why, nobody else was fool enough to take it!" I lamented with a look to match.

"Is that the Estate that claimed the lives of two of its Masters and sent all others running for their lives?" Rialtige asked with curious intent of his own.

"Yes, and the Guards have been ordered to stay out of the whole quad so we will get no help from anyone to claim it." Jealile said with regret equal to my own and the group fell silent.

For a moment nobody said anything, everyone was pondering the words that were said and all the new information they learned. The breeze brought a calming, sweet scent on the air; the birds flew overhead chirping and singing, dancing in the air for us. It was another day that we enjoyed the calm ride in beautiful country and I was enjoying the calm when it was broken once more.

"We've got our work cut out for us haven't we?" Rialtige said with a whistle breaking the silence.

"We?" I said with surprise "What we? I don't remember inviting you along for the ride? The last thing we need is another passenger!" I replied not too pleased and a tad bit condescending I would have to say looking back now.

"Of course we, my good sir. That is if you will be kind enough to accept my offer." Rialtige said with a raise of his eyebrow to elicit interest.

"And what offer is that?" I asked a little dryly and not quite amused at this point.

"What I propose my good sir is a trade of services if you will; plain and true and on the level. I will come with you to Kincaid and help you any way that I can. In return you help me get set up in my chosen profession when the time comes." Rialtige said in his most persuasive manner.

"What kind of help? What chosen profession?" I asked, again wanting details before I would agree to anything.

"That's a good and fair question, and I shall answer it fair and true. You are going to a place that you have not seen and claim it from people who may not want to give it up right? When you do claim what rightfully is yours you have no idea what condition the place will be in do you?" Rialtige paused. He posed the curious questions that I had asked myself but I had never come to a satisfactory answer on my own.

"True enough, go on." I conceded, a little more interested in what he had to say now.

"I mean you may walk into a place that is tip top, pristine condition, or you may find a real mess of troubles! If it is the former, you'll be set, good to go but I suspect you could always use and extra pair of hands to get things rolling. If it is the latter, then you will really need a man of my skills to lend a hand." Rialtige said and sat up proudly smiling to himself, waiting for the next question that had to be asked.

"And just what 'skills' are those?" I asked, curious to know the answer.

"I am a scrounger, a scavenger, a dealmaker if you will. I can get you anything, anywhere! I have a way of finding things, most useful things to be sure when setting an Estate back on its feet again. Now I know what you're thinking and it isn't true, all of my deals are on the up and up, strictly above board! But as we know, desperate times call for desperate measures and in such times things can appear if you are willing not to ask too many questions. To tell you truthfully I hate it when such things happen but one does what one must in times of peril." Rialtige finished with a thoughtful look and the hint of a smile.

"Fair enough, but what are these 'skills' going to cost me. Bear in mind that we go not to raid Kincaid nor are we going to split up the spoils, Kincaid and its' contents are mine and will remain so!" I said sternly trying to look unmovable on this issue.

"Without question good sir. That was the furthest thing from my mind. All I ask for is no more help than you would give a good friend who had seen you through perilous times. I don't know exactly what I want to do as yet, but I shall have to know soon enough, after all I only have until the Harvest Festival after this next one to get my affairs in order! I can't marry anyone into poverty! I want my wives to be happy and well looked after, not rich mind you, but not dirt poor!" Rialtige finished and extended his hand to shake mine and seal the deal.

"It sounds like a fair deal to me. What do the rest of you think?" I said to the group in general, now inviting their opinions.

"It sounds like a sensible arrangement, provided you understand that we will have to look after our own first, you can't expect us to go beyond our means to help you." Jealile said cautiously, yet wore an approving smile. "But no matter how things work out, you can count on us to help you any way we can. After all, what are friends for?" Jealile smiled warmly.

"Fair and true M'lady. Surely you get my meaning then." Rialtige said with a warm smile and patted Jealile on the back in a friendly gesture. In return she slapped him back on his shoulder and smiled back at him.

"I have one question for you Rialtige that I need answered before I will give you my blessing to join our merry group." Treabilla asked cautiously and almost daringly.

"Then by all means M'lady, ask your question and I shall answer it." Rialtige said with a merry and contagious smile.

"Why do you wish to join us so readily? There must be a multitude of ways that a man of your skills can advance yourself without taking such a risk?" Treabilla asked and at once we recognized an important and until now overlooked question. Her point was valid and I curiously waited for the answer to the important question.

tempter
tempter
48 Followers