Check "Yes" or "No"

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
HLD
HLD
2,972 Followers

Their kiss was gentle and intimate. Unlike any Jacob could ever remember with Tracy. After a tentative first pass, he leaned in a little more. She nibbled on his lower lip. He made another pass.

Jake felt like he was floating six feet above the ground.

The feeling lingered on his lips even after she withdrew.

Neither wanted to be the one to break the silence.

"Good night, Jacob," she whispered. Before he could respond, she slipped inside her house and closed the door, leaving him standing on her porch. Then he got back in his truck and drove back to his apartment.

**************************

He didn't call her and she didn't call him. Jake wanted to . . . but he didn't want to.

I'll just use her to get over Tracy,he rationalised.She deserves better. If I treat her like shit, she'll never forgive me. I'll never forgive me.

She was waiting outside the school when he arrived on Monday morning. Not for him, but because it was the English department's week for morning bus duty.

"Good morning, Mr. Eckholm," she said with a warm smile as he walked in from the parking lot. A cool front had made it a little brisk and she was nursing a mug of coffee. He couldn't help but smile back.

He stopped at her side, making sure that they presented nothing but the appearance of total and complete propriety to the kids getting off the buses.

"How much did we make at the fair?" he asked conversationally.

"About nine hundred dollars net," she replied. "Not great, but it will be enough to decorate the gym and pay a DJ."

"I forgot to thank you for dinner on Saturday," he said softly once a group of kids passed by.

"You're most welcome," she replied. "It's the least I could do for the guy who was willing to spend a Saturday afternoon in a greasy shack full of kids."

"I was thinking we could go out again next weekend," his voice was nervous. "You pick the place, I'll pay."

"I'd like that," Ann Marie gave him a knowing wink. He smiled and then turned to go inside. "Have a great day, Mr. Eckholm."

"I'm sure I will, Miss Armstrong. You have a great day, too."

**************************

The next month passed pretty much the same way. They greeted each other every day at school. They talked in the hallway. In public, they never touched or stood close to each other.

But they always seemed to share a secret smile or two. They went out on the weekends. Always to a place that was in the next county or otherwise far away from inquisitive glances.

In private, they held hands. They talked and got to know one another better. They had been colleagues for so long, Jacob knew a lot about her family and what she was like, but knew very little about her personally.

He, on the other hand, was an open book. His divorce was very public. His ex-mother-in-law had a big mouth and seemed to know just about everyone. There was no infidelity, but she always talked bad about him. Most everyone in the school ignored her and the shit she tried to stir up, but that didn't stop people from talking. Gossip breeds more gossip.

Their dates always ended on her front porch. She never invited him in. He never asked.

One day in first period, his students thought they were going to ambush the teacher.

"Hey, Mr. E.," Brad asked during some groupwork time. "I heard you and Miss Armstrong went out last weekend."

"That's none of your business," Jacob replied with a crooked smile.

"So you don't deny that youdidn'tgo out."

"I deny that my personal life is anything you need to concern yourself with, Mr. Dingess."

"But you would go out with her . . . hypothetically."

He shrugged. Jacob was in a playful mood. After all, this was one of his star classes. The kids were smart and generally motivated. Their test scores were up and truthfully, they had pretty much left him alone after his divorce. Besides, Homecoming was the next weekend.

"We think you two would besooooooocute together," Erin Owens teased.

"Oh, really," Jake raised his eyebrow. "I didn't realise the 11th grade ran a matchmaking service."

"Only for the single teachers," she replied with a smile. "Besides, if you're happy, our test scores go up. That month before your divorce was rough on our grades."

Jacob snorted. He was always hard on the kids the first six weeks. It let the kids know he was setting a high expectation for them.

"So why don't you ask her out, Mr. E?" Tiffany chimed in.

A flippant reply was on his lips, but instead of letting it fly, Jacob shut his mouth and walked to the desk at the back of his room. The students fell silent, no doubt wondering if they had pushed their luck too far.

He reached into a drawer and pulled out an envelope and a sheet of paper. Scribbling something on the paper, Jake folded it and then sealed the envelope. "Erin, would you please take this to Miss Armstrong for me?"

The high schooler's eyes got almost as wide as her smile. She bounded out of her seat, took the envelope in one hand, the hall pass in the other and headed for the door.

"You guys need to get back to work," Jacob said before any of the other students could say anything. "Those worksheets are due at the end of class."

A few minutes later, Erin returned. She was smiling broadly. She set the hall pass on the dry erase board's marker tray, handed her teacher a sealed envelope and then sat down.

Knowing that everyone's eyes were on him, Jake ripped the end off the envelope, trying not to appear too eager.

In his sloppy teacher's script, he had written,Would you like to go out this weekend?, followed by two check boxes, one for "yes" and one for "no".

To his surprise, the "no" box was checked. Then he looked down at the bottom of his note and saw Ann Marie's flowing handwriting.Already have plans. Big dance.

Mentally, Jake kicked himself for forgetting. But then he got another inspiration. He scribbled something else on the note, sealed it in yet another envelope and held it up. "Miss Dunlap."

"Be right back." And Tiffany was off.

No one said a word except to ask about the assignment, but sure enough when the girl returned a few minutes later, all work stopped.

Jacob took the envelope and ripped it open. He saw his message,Would you like to go to Homecoming with me?

And this time the "yes" box was checked.

He tried to suppress a smile, but he couldn't. The class broke into a spontaneous cheer just as the bell rang.

**************************

Homecoming week is always a big deal and Fitzpatrick High was no different. Both Jacob and Ann Marie were roped into chaperoning the dance and helping out with some of the other things. They went to the football game—separately—on Friday and generally avoided each other, at least in public.

They didn't have plans together. Both were in charge of something at the dance; Ann Marie was supervising the refreshments and Jacob and a couple of the other male teachers were the "bush patrol" monitoring the hallways the kids weren't supposed to be in and the grounds outside.

Still, their mere arrival caused a small stir. Jacob went to pick her up before the dance and even though there weren't many kids there before, the few that saw them get out of his truck sent ripples of rumours throughout the school. Of course Jake and Ann Marie enjoyed the whole thing immensely.

In the few times they found themselves near one another, Jacob found himself resisting the urge to reach out and take her hand. He wanted to be close to her, but he also did not want to cross any sort of professional line. In the back of his mind, he was worried about becoming a distraction to the students and staff at the high school. He worried what everyone else might think if he started dating so soon after his divorce. He worried about what his ex-mother-in-law might say.

And truth be told, he also worried about falling in love again only to have his heart broken a second time.

"Youcanask her to dance."

The words shook Jake out of his contemplative state. He looked around, trying to see if anyone else may have heard them. Of course, the music in the gym was so loud, he wasn't sure it wasn't his mind playing tricks on him.

"Really, Mr. Eckholm, you should ask her to dance." Jake turned to see the school secretary standing at his side. He smiled inwardly; if anyone wanted to know what was going on in the school, you didn't go to the principal or the guidance counselors, you went to the secretary. She wasalwaysin the know.

"People would talk, Mrs. Barnett," he replied softly.

"People are talking now," she replied with a dismissive scoff. Sally Barnett leaned in so that she wouldn't have to shout to be heard over the music. "And they're all saying good things. Everyone knows you like her. And she's been head over heels in love with you since you showed up."

When he could find the words, Jake managed to mumble. "What are you talking about, Sally?"

"You really are just another denseman!" the secretary said with a wink. "Ann Marie Armstrong locked in on you that first morning you showed up here. Hell, evenIwas looking out for you that day . . ."

"Now you're really not making any sense."

"Tina down at the board office said you'd be coming and she told me you were cute," Sally's eyes glimmered with laughter. "And boy was she right! If I weren't already married with two kids, I'd have been on the prowl for you, too! After that, when we knew you were coming, Ann Marie's face always brightened right up. We just had to get you out of that marriage to Tracy first!"

"Don't tell me you set that up, too," Jacob said with a frown.

"Oh, no, her mama did that for us." A dark look passed across Sally's normally cheerful demeanor. "You never had a chance, Jake. We had a pool on how long it would be before she broke you up."

"What?!?!?"

"You weren't good enough for Tracy's mama." She put her hand on his arm as if to comfort him. "Don't take it personal, though. Lavara wanted her little girl to marry a lawyer or a doctor, not a schoolteacher."

"How do you know all this?"

"My mom and Tracy's mom grew up together," Sally said. "They used to be best friends . . . at least until Lavara started running her mouth. Anyway, we all knew she was gonna try and get her daughter to marry a guy who could advance her social class."

He didn't reply for several moments. Murderous—and luckily, fleeting—thoughts passed through his mind at the notion of his ex-mother-in-law destroying his marriage because he didn't make enough money. In that instant, he was over his ex-wife.

From this moment on, I'm going to be happy,he thought to himself.I'm not going to let that bitter old woman ruin my life, too.

"So who won?" he said quietly.

"Pardon?"

"Who won the pool?"

Sally's eyes widened at the question, then she let out a loud, boisterous laugh that had everyone turning to look at them. Out of the corner of his eye, Jacob saw Ann Marie looking at them quizzically. He winked at her and smiled. She seemed to glow in response.

"Ann Marie did," the secretary whispered in his ear. "She had three years."

"No one thought we'd make it past three years?" Jake asked incredulously.

"What can I say, Mr. Eckholm?" Sally grinned. "That Lavara Trimble is one mean, conniving bitch and everyone this side of Bear Creek knows it!"

The two of them shared a hearty laugh, drawing more stares.

"Now stop spending time with an old married woman and go flirt with your date," she admonished him playfully. "And don't worry about the duty you signed up for; I'll get Dave Cremeans to cover for you on Bush Patrol."

"Thanks, Mrs. Barnett," he said appreciatively. Contemplating his next action, he reached into his pocket, pulled out an index card and scribbled something on the back. Then he walked across the floor, fully aware that everyone's eyes were on him.

He stopped when he reached Ann Marie's side. The two of them scanned the room, being careful not to make eye contact or touch.

"What were you and Sally laughing about?" she asked when it became apparent he was still in teacher mode.

"I'll tell you later," he replied, still not meeting her gaze.

Before she could say anything further, he slowly took the index card out of his pocket and handed it to her, knowing full well that it would bring another round of questioning on Monday morning. She took it and he walked away, making sure to smile mischievously at Mrs. Barnett who only stared at him with a combination of curiosity and amusement.

**************************

The rest of the night passed quickly. Jacob and Ann Marie stayed for a little while and helped clean up after the dance. Neither acknowledged the unspoken expectations that everyone else seemed to have for them. Nor did they dance. Jacob figured that this night was about the high school kids, not their teachers. They were among the last to leave. He walked her to his truck, then drove her home. He got a good night kiss and then left, as was his custom.

Monday came and went. The kids—and even a couple of the other teachers—gave him some good-natured ribbing about his "date" with Miss Armstrong, but none of them pressed the matter.

On Tuesday, near the end of third period, there was a knock on the door as he was in the middle of his lecture. He called for the person to enter and found a sophomore with a nervous smile standing there holding an envelope.

"This is from Miss Armstrong," she stuttered. Everyone's head shot around at the words, their eyes all wide.

"Thank you," he said taking the envelope. Inside, he debated about what to do.

I really should wait until everyone else is gone,he thought.But maybe she wants a response now.

The student at the door stood there, as if waiting either to be excused or to be given a return message. There were some whispers around the room. With a sigh, he tore open the envelope. Two note cards fell out. The "yes" box on the one he gave to Ann Marie was checked.

Jacob drew in a sharp breath when he read the other card. His face turned crimson red. His hands began to tremble. His pulse raced.

Barely able to hold his pen steady, Jake checked the "yes" box on the second card, somehow managed to seal it into another envelope and sent it back to Miss Armstrong. The rest of his lectures were off as lurid thoughts ran through his mind, all of them involving Ann Marie.

**************************

The next three days were the longest of his life. He plowed through the week and in one of his few magnanimous spells, postponed all the work that he had originally scheduled to be due on Friday until the next Monday. The kids were overjoyed since henevercut them any slack when it came to schoolwork.

During that time, he only briefly spoke to Ann Marie. They flirted a little, but were otherwise professional to the point that it seemed like they were ignoring each other.

When the final bell rang on Friday afternoon, most of the people in the school left immediately. The football team was off for a week before the sectional playoffs began. No one wanted to be at school once the weekend started.

Jake scurried about his room, straightening up the desks, picking up a little bit of trash and even setting up for the following Monday. If things panned out the way he hoped, he wasn't going to get much work done between now and then anyway.

Half an hour after the last bell rang, Jacob heard a knock at his door. He looked up and saw Ann Marie standing there.

"You look beautiful," he whispered once he could find his voice. When he saw her earlier in the day, she was wearing her usual Friday apparel: comfortable jeans, a nice t-shirt and sneakers. After the final bell, she replaced the t-shirt with a thin cable-knit turtle neck sweater that seemed ready to burst around her round breasts. It hugged her in all the right places, highlighting the desirable parts. Her hair was pulled back and she uncharacteristically wore make-up that showed off her eyes and full, sensuous lips.

She blushed but recovered quickly. "You're lookin' pretty hot there yourself, Jacob."

"Are you ready to go?" he asked nervously. "Would you like to drop your car off at your house?"

"I thought we'd take my car," she said tentatively, obviously trying not to offend her chivalrous date. "With gas prices the way they are, I figure it's better than driving your truck . . ."

Jacob smiled at her thoughtfulness. He fidgeted for a second, did the math and figured she was right. He would make sure to pay for all the gas, though. "Sure thing, Annie. Let's stop by my place . . . I need to pick up some things anyway."

They went out to the parking lot, walking side by side, almost close enough to hold hands. Sally Barnett waved to Jake from the main office. He smiled and continued on.

They got in their separate cars and drove to his apartment. His suitcase was already packed and he loaded it into the back of her Camry. To his surprise, she handed him the keys. He took them mutely and opened the door for her. Then he got in the driver's side and they drove off, fully aware that his neighbours were watching him.

**************************

The drive to the "big city" took about three hours. They talked and easily fell into a personal comfort zone. At one point, Ann Marie reached over and took Jacob's hand. Her grasp was tentative at first, but it felt natural and soon their fingers were intertwined. He found that he couldn't keep his eyes off her.

Away from the school, she looked so different. So sexy.

His heart raced. He found he liked the electric touch of his beautiful friend. She seemed so different from her teacher persona. And he found that he wanted to get to know her even better.

The first stop was a nice hotel. Jacob hoped he wasn't being presumptuous in getting a room with a single king-sized bed, but the hungry look in Ann Marie's eyes told him that it would work out. They went to dinner at an old farmhouse that had been converted into a restaurant. The lights were low and the booths private.

All the while, Jacob found himself lost in Ann Marie's eyes. They seemed to be looking right through him. They held hands all night, as if they couldn't stand to be away from the other's touch. As if they couldn't believe that they were finally together. Away from the prying eyes of parents, students and co-workers.

After the meal, Ann Marie fidgeted nervously over her cheesecake dessert. She hadn't eaten much all night. A couple of times, she seemed to be building up to say something, but each time, she stopped.

Jacob paid the bill and she slipped her hand into the crook of his elbow. He walked her out to the car, even offering her his jacket in the brisk autumn air.

They got in the car and he started the engine. He was about to ask what she wanted to do, but she spoke first.

"What do you want from me, Jake?" There was a nervous—almost fearful—quiver in her voice.

He started to respond, but found himself at a loss for words. What did he want? Companionship? Sex? Love?

She saw his hesitancy. "I know I'm risking being used here. I know there's a part of you that's still in love with Tracy. You might rebound off me or you might just need to get your rocks off."

"No, Annie," Jacob whispered. "I—"

"Wait, Jake, I'm not done," she interrupted. "Those are risks anyone takes in any relationship. Even if you and Tracy hadn't been married, you still might do all of those things to me. But I want you to know this: I've been attracted to you since the day we met. I don't know that there's any future for us. You might have some insanely annoying bad habits I can't get over. You might not be able to sleep through my teeth grinding. There are a million reasons why 'we' might not work out . . . But that's no reason not to try."

HLD
HLD
2,972 Followers