Dragon Clans Bk. 02 Pt. 01

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
Vjax
Vjax
947 Followers

"Do you have abilities, potential, a destiny that others do not? Most assuredly. Does this make you inherently different from anyone else? Not in the least."

"What I offer is yours by birth. It is not a gift or a curse. It is part of who you are, what makes you... you."

Aoife's eyes closed as she watched her words sink in. Michaels head raised a bit. Some of the light returned to his eyes. She sighed in relief upon seeing a small weary smile find it's way to his lips.

"How long?" Michael asked again. This time there was no anger or fear in the question. Simply the acceptance that the decision was his to make.

"Three days Michael. You will need to choose one way or the other before the moon rises three days hence. I know that you have a thousand questions. I am here Michael. Go, rest for a while. Let the understanding of this, of me, of who you are settle. When you are ready, return. I will answer any questions you have."

Michael slowly nodded his head. His remaining energy was quickly running out.

"Thank you for telling me Aoife, and thank you for always being there. The more I think back, the more times I find where your subtle hand guided my choices. Thank you for honoring me with your true form as well. It was shocking to say the least. But I am grateful for your trust. I will let you know as soon as I can."

Michael stood looking at Aoife for a long moment. Capturing her image in his mind before slowly turning and walking up the stairs toward the morning light which now glowed gray at the entrance far above. ...............

The interior of the crypt was lit by a single torch placed in the stone floor at the center of the room.

It took a moment for Michael's eyes to adjust to the shadowy interior.

As the details began to reveal themselves Michael began to count.

'12, 16, 18, 22'

Twenty-two spaces dug into the earth to hold the clan dead. Nine were covered with ornate capstones, each emblazoned with the richly detailed image of a dragon.

Some were simply the head, others the entire body. Some sitting, some standing, some with wings outstretched. All had been here so long that there was no way to tell by looking at them what order they had been placed.

All, that was, but the last. It lay on the floor beneath one of the niches. The white marble glowed in stark contrast to its gray counterparts. The image carved upon it was of a dragon in flight, wings caught eternally by the wind as it flew towards unknown shores. Two men emerged from the shadows to stand at the front of the litter. They began a low rhythmic chanting as, with a gentle touch, the men slowly slid Ian's body from the litter into the alcove. Their chanting increased in pitch and tempo the further the body drew into its final resting space. As Ian's shrouded head was laid softly on the limestone they held a long bass note that seemed to grow and gain energy as it echoed within the confines of the crypt.

As the note finally faded the men hefted the cap into place.

Tears came unbidden to Michael's eyes as they turned to leave Ian to his rest. Tera's hand slipping around his waist pulled him back from the brink of despair. Her energy gave him the strength and the will to move on.

Exiting the burial chamber Michael looked to the sky. The clouds had broken just a little. For a moment the sun shone down on the valley and it erupted in a brilliant green that took on an unreal hue under the light and rain that had preceded it.

Michael smiled as Valerie detached herself from Millie and came into his arms. He could do anything with them at his side. And he would move heaven and earth to make sure that they were always with him.

Millie smiled as she watched the three of them embrace. She found their ability to acknowledge the love and need and joy between them, even in the face of such tragedy, uplifting.

"We will need to get started, soon."

Nigel's words brought Millie back to the moment. With a soft squeeze of Nigel's hand, she nodded her head.

"I know, Nigel. Tomorrow will be soon enough. Tomorrow, they will be ready."

"Make the arrangements, we need to leave early. There is a long way to go and no time to do everything that needs to be done."

Nigel shook his head and moved off, dialing a number on his cell phone.

'Time for one last trip,' he thought as the line connected and he started making the arrangements.

The break in the sky was filled by dark clouds, dropping the valley into pale grayness again. The shift causing Millie and Michael's eyes to find each other. The light was the same shade the morning after Ian's death. The first morning of Michael's new life. ...............

Millie had waited by the entrance throughout the night for Michael to return.

There was so much to do, and so little time to do it.

'Ah well, we do as we must with that which we are given.' Millie thought to herself as she watched the moon slowly dip towards the horizon.

Nigel had come to her a few times bringing warm tea and a blanket for her. They sat silently outside the small building in the center of the maze, neither of them saying anything, simply comforted by the other's presence as they both processed their loss of Ian.

Just before dawn Nigel returned and sat next to her, wrapping his arm around her.

"I have made the calls. Our three friends understand and send their deepest condolences. They will also be ready when we tell them. I also began the arrangements. Day after tomorrow at mid-morning, we will hold the ceremony for Ian."

Nigel's words were hushed, as if saying them in a louder voice would make them truer.

"Thank you, Nigel. I appreciate you getting things arranged. It is going to be a very busy few days." Millie said as she leaned against Nigel's shoulder, the stress of the day finally threatening to overwhelm her.

Nigel held her tightly in the pre-dawn as she wrestled with consciousness. Both of their hearts had been broken on this day that seemed would never come to an end.

Michael stepped out into the early morning light. It was a gray morning. Thick clouds hung close to the earth, as if a shroud had been pulled over the world. Michael thought it fitting, considering the events of yesterday.

"Michael," Millie said as she walked over to him from where she had been sitting.

Nigel had left just a few moments before, to check on the increased security measures.

"Hello, Millie," Michael said, the fatigue evident in his voice.

"I know you are exhausted but there is one more thing we need to do before we can both get some rest."

Looping her arm in his they walked slowly through the twisting hedges of the maze making their way back to the castle.

Entering through a side door, Michael and Millie encountered only two security guards as they made their way up an ornate wooden staircase towards one of the castle's towers.

The heavy oak door opened soundlessly as Millie and Michael entered Ian's study.

Millie paused. All of the moments here with Ian came rushing back to her.

A crisis solved around Ian's desk.

The naps taken on the soft worn leather couch.

Making love in front of the fireplace.

Watching Michael grow from a boy to a man.

She had shared so much with Ian in this space.

Closing her eyes she could feel his presence.

His arms around her waist as he kissed her hello after a trip.

His lips on her nipple as they made love.

The sound of his laughter, as he played with Valerie.

The loss of him suddenly became overwhelming and Millie gently slumped against Michael, who was walking slowly into the room at her side.

Michael pulled Millie into his arms. Angling towards the couch he sat her gently in the soft confines of the supple leather. Looking around he found a crystal decanter on a side table.

Walking over to it, he poured three fingers of fiery amber liquid into a glass and handed it to Millie.

She looked up at the proffered glass as Michael's strong hand came gently to her shoulder.

"Drink this. I can't imagine how you are still moving after everything that has happened. Is there anyone I can call to help, you really need to get some rest."

Michael's words were a comfort as he knelt before her, the concern showing in his eyes.

"I'll be fine, Michael, thank you." Millie said as she took a small sip of the whiskey.

"Please," Millie said motioning towards the large desk in front of the large rose window. "In the top center drawer of the desk there is a small stack of letters. Please bring them to me." Michael could see the strains of the past twenty-four hours quickly catching up to Millie as he turned from her and walked to the desk.

It was an ornate beast. Made from a gleaming reddish/black wood that Michael couldn't place, it was the focal point of the room. Almost double the size of a traditional desk it sat on large claw feet. It felt more like the bridge of a ship than a simple desk to work at. As if from behind it you could command legions. He wondered as he slid the chair from its place and opened the drawer what tales this thing would tell if it could.

The small stack of envelopes was the only thing in the drawer. Michael lifted them out gingerly, surprised to see his name on the top one.

Walking back to Millie he placed the small stack in her outstretched hand.

"Thank you." Millie said as she slid the top envelope away from the others and handed it back to Michael.

"Ian wrote these yesterday morning. He knew that something was coming, that he would not have the time he had hoped for to explain things. Ian did not want it to be this way, he so wanted to pass on what he knew, to help you down the path you now find yourself on."

Millie paused, her throat closing up with the emotions that buffeted her like waves in an angry sea. She was grateful for Michael's hand as it took her own, giving her the strength to continue in a halting voice.

"It was not to be. Nicholas made sure of that. I know you have been through a lot Michael. Don't be overwhelmed. It will get easier, more real.

For now, stay here, read what Ian wrote. I will find you later today and answer whatever questions I can."

Millie rose slowly. She gave Michael a weak hug before walking slowly from the room. Michael hoped she would be able to rest.

Pouring a drink... which he downed in one gulp, and then refilled... he looked at the envelope in his hand. His name, in formal flowing script was written across its face. It looked like a wound on the pale beige parchment. Sitting in the overstuffed leather chair by the cold fireplace he broke the ornate wax seal and began to read.

Michael,

I will dispense with the pleasantries of how sorry I am that I am not able to help you through your transition. Nor will I try to persuade you in your decision. As it always has been, the decision to become a Chosen lies with the intended, and with none other.

It is strange to be writing this. For so many years, since the day you were born, I have watched you grow into the man who now stands at a precipice.

Your old life lies behind you. By simply turning from the edge, by retracing a few steps back, you can continue forward on that path as if none of this has happened.

Or, you can close your eyes and, with a single step, abandon yourself to the void of the unknown.

It will not be a pain free fall, Michael. All I can promise you is that you will land on your feet. The landscape of your life will change in ways you cannot imagine should you take this leap, and allow Aoife to mark you as the chosen of the clan.

Millie is there... at least it is my great hope that she is. She knows much, Michael. Listen to her. Ask her the questions you have. Between her and Aoife you can get a pretty clear picture of what is to come, what is expected of you, and what your responsibilities will be.

Note I said a 'pretty clear' picture. There are no absolutes, Michael. Everything can change in the blink of an eye, as you well know. And most things usually do just that, change while your not looking.

You will learn things in the next few days that will make your blood run cold, things that will enrage you beyond anything you could have imagined. You will find new heights of joy. All of these and the myriad of emotions in between will be your 'part and parcel', should you choose to step into this particular abyss.

When faced with the same choice, I agonized over it until the very last moment. In the end the siren's call of an undiscovered life pushed me over that edge. I have never regretted it for a moment.

There is so much more I would like to tell you. So many other little things... details and tricks learned over more than three hundred years that could help you with what is to come. But that is simply not to be.

You can trust Millie and Nigel. They have been my companions and friends through most of my long life. Millie will explain it to you. But keep your eyes open, Michael. Each of the chosen find ones to accompany them on the journey. You have found two already. Keep Valerie and Tera close, Michael. Loving and being loved makes facing the possibility of eternity much more palatable.

Watch over Millie for me. She gave up so much, choosing to live her life at my side. Please protect her, and let her know that I shall love her... always.

Live well, Michael,

Ian

Michael held the letter loosely in his hand. His eyes closed as he let Ian's words sink in.

The hope of psychosis slipped further away as the reality of his life and the choice that he had to make crystallized.

He needed to see Valerie and Tera, needed to feel their all too human heat next to him.

Standing to go find his mates the concussion from an explosion nearby sent him sprawling to the floor. The stained glass window behind Ian's desk fractured under the pressure, showering him with a stinging mist of color. It was replaced by thick black smoke that engulfed the room.

Michael coughed as he crawled towards the door.

'Nicholas.'

The name flamed to the front of his mind. He had taken Ian, wanting Aoife's power. It seemed that yesterday had not provided Nicholas with enough blood.

Making his way out of the room and rising. Michael took the stairs two at a time. Valerie and Tera the only things in his now focused and wrath filled mind.

*

Edited By TeNderLoin

Vjax
Vjax
947 Followers
12