Dreams of Destiny Pt. 04

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Stephen closed his eyes during the fall. When he opened them Destiny was dangling from a noose which was secured to the railing above. Her eyes were bugging out and she was turning blue. Her feet kicked and the life drained out of her. Stephen closed his eyes in disbelief. He opened his eyes and Destiny was on the ground on her face. Her arm was broken and she was unconscious.

Destiny was slow to come around. When she did she started screaming. She was dangling by her neck from the balcony. Stephen was looking up at her laughing as she died. She closed her eyes. She reopened them. She was sprawled out on the ground with a broken arm and a bad bump on the head.

“You bastard,” she cried. “You worthless piece of shit.” I was hanging by my neck and you watched and laughed. You watched me die and did nothing. Who the hell are you?” Destiny started to throw up. Then she fainted again....

Destiny awoke in the hospital in West Chester, PA, with Stephen staring at her; willing her to be silent. He was willing her to accept what had happened between them.

It was unacceptable. Destiny forced herself to break away from Stephen’s magnetic gaze. She closed her eyes.This never happened, she said with all the strength she could muster.Stephen and I broke up two years ago and I’ve lost touch with him. “I’ll never see you again, Stephen,” she said with her eyes tightly closed. “In fact, I’m going to forget you exist. This has all been a bad dream. And when I wake up I won’t even remember that you ever lived.”

“Yes you will.” Stephen laughed. “You may not remember I exist, but I’ll have you over and over again in your dreams.” He walked out of the empty hospital room smiling.

It was a sadder, wiser Destiny that awoke safe in her own bed the next morning. She was sixteen years old. She had banished Stephen from her thoughts two years ago, after that debacle of failed sexual intercourse. Now, after that horrible dream, where she had dangled from a noose with Stephen watching, laughing, she knew she had things to do with her life. College was essential to her plans. Yes, she still went to parties and even occasionally got high. But she was more self assured and much less likely to fall victim to an n older guy looking just to get laid. She still had nightmares about Stephen but his face, even his name faded into oblivion over the years.

To Stephen the evening had been an epiphany. He realized he had just found a kick greater than any rush from drugs or even sex alone. That evening a killer was born. The shock to Stephen’s system of the violent sex coupled with sudden, unexpected danger and death had taken him over the edge to a place he had been seeking all his life.

Than was no wet dream, Stephen Williams thought when he awoke the next morning in his bed Washington, DC. He was not Stephen, he realized at once, he was Stephen Williams, a partner a RWT. He had his practice, which he was dedicated to, and his sidelines. No one knew about those.A missing prostitute once and a while, nothing to do with him. He was very, very careful. And no one really cared enough to make a thorough investigation anyway. The girl in the dream, Stephen realized suddenly, is one of the temps at RWT. A lot older now, of course. I wonder if she’s recognized me?

When and where had that segment happened? he wanted to know. He wanted to return to it, immediately, and again and again. He realized with frustration that he’d been trying now for years to achieve a rush like that without success.

Chapter XVIII

Destiny awoke shivering on the beach at San Angeles Island. A storm had rolled in while she slept, blocking out the sun. The beach was now deserted. Rain drops were falling fast and hard. She gathered her belongings together and dashed for the hotel.

Dear God, what a nightmare, Destiny thought as she ran.I haven’t thought about Stephen in years.

There was a long drum roll of thunder. Lightening flashed. The island suddenly looked hostile and forbidding.I just need a hot tub and a cold drink, Destiny thought on her way up to her room.I hope this storm doesn’t last. I’d hate to have to make my delivery in the rain.

When Destiny opened the door to her hotel room she had a sudden sense that someone had been in the room while she was out. Destiny rushed to her suit case in a panic to check for her wallet.Yes, my money’s safe, but someone has been though this bag. They’ve messed everything up. Maybe it was just a very nosy maid, Destiny thought, somewhat disconcerted. She didn’t know that Colonel Rodriguez’s men had spent the afternoon searching the rooms of all American tourists on the island. Taps had been placed on the telephone lines of each guest as well.

Destiny got out of her swimsuit and put on a cotton robe. She started filling up the Jacuzzi and poured herself a rum and coke from the wet bar. She put her swimsuit into the bathroom sink to soak.

It was still stormy outside. The room started to get warm and steamy from the Jacuzzi. Destiny eased herself into the Jacuzzi with a sigh of contentment. She took a long sip of her drink.I could really get used to this kind of treatment she thought. She didn’t even bother to open a novel while she soaked. She let her mind wander as the bubbles lulled her into a somnolent state...

INTERLUDE

Esteban Rodriguez smiled. Things were falling into place quite nicely. This would be his sequence he though fiercely. No twists, no side bars. He would pull the strings this time and the people around him would dance to his tune.

How easy it had been to set things up. He had manufactured the aging aunt back in Washington, DC. The so called documents for the long lost son were actually well executed fraudulent records of a dangerous nature to be delivered into the waiting hands of an overly ambitious newspaper reporter. The documents ostensibly prove that President Rodriguez fathered a child on his 13 year old cousin. The story was that the baby girl and her mother were secretly exiled. The cousin had died in a suspicious car accident. The child had grown up hating her father/uncle and was now rallying support for Esteban in his political battle against the President.

Juan would learn that Destiny was the source of this information and would be livid that Destiny was a spy in Esteban’s camp.

Chapter XIX

As Colonel Rodriguez entered his office he called out to his assistant, “Max, do you have those dossiers for me.”

“Si., Colonel.”

Rodriguez’s office was masculine and immaculate. It sported leather and dark wood. There was an assortment of valuable books on the shelves. The Colonel’s special interests were in military history and politics. His office was well air conditioned out of respect for the books he has collected.

At the far corner of his office was a chess game in play. It was the Colonel’s game against the world. Anyone, anytime could come to him to make a move for black. He would make a response. It was up to the black player whether to continue the game or to leave after one move, or two moves, or whatever. The Colonel rarely lost at chess. The only person the Colonel would not play was his brother, Esteban.

Max hurried in with his arms fill of files. Most of what he gathered about the American tourists came to him through faxes in the last two hours. He had been working furiously to sort through the mess of information.

Rodriguez asked him if any of the tourists stood out as possible suspects. Max said no.

Rodriguez read over the files with ill-concealed irritation.There’s nothing here. Not one of these people could be considered a security risk. We’re not getting anywhere. “Most of the Americans are staying at the Paradisio, aren’t they?“ he asked Max.

“Si.”

Rodriguez spotted Destiny’s dossier. He finds the reading surprisingly dull. She’d been in a staid, boring relationship for years, he thinks. No kids. Sad story about the cancer. I wonder what brought her to San Angeles Island. I’m surprised she didn’t wait to take her free air fare on vacation with Nathan somewhere solid, like Germany. He realized that he is trying to denigrate the whirlwind of emotions he felt when he met Destiny.What a sensation it was just looking into those eyes.

Well, since I’m not getting anywhere here, Rodriguez concluded,I may as well do some real work. He decided to spend some time at the Hotel Paradisio. Rodriguez changed into the evening clothes he keeps in the closet of his office. He was a striking figure in dark gray, with a white shirt and a tie that set off the sapphire of his eyes.

The storm had blown itself out and there was a nice, fresh breeze coming off the sea. The humidity had dropped. It was a delightful evening. Rodriguez tested his driving skills on his way to the hotel, taking the hilly curves fast. He loved the raw power of using expertise to push a good machine to its limits.That’s what performance is all about the thought,be it music, driving, fighting, or hell, even making love. Especially making love, he corrected himself.

He made it to the hotel in fifteen minutes flat. He strolled into the lobby, handed his car keys over to the doorman, and went to visit the desk clerk. He questioned the clerk about the comings and goings of the American tourists and asked for access to the hotel safe.

None of the tourists had done anything other than hit the beach as far as this clerk knew. There had been no strangers handing about. There was nothing of note in the hotel safe. None of this surprised Rodriguez. He knew he wasn’t dealing with careless amateurs. But why use an American tourist?

Rodriguez wanted to throw in the towel, go home, and get some sleep. But he knew there would be hell to pay if this tip turned out to be correct and he failed to prevent a security breach.

So he decided to have a drink at the bar before dinner. He took a seat with a view of the lobby, picked up a section of newspaper, and ordered a cognac. The tour group came down for dinner first. They got off the elevator like a gaggle of geese honking and preening and jockeying for position in the hallway outside the restaurant.

Upstairs, Destiny pulled herself out of the Jacuzzi, showered and washed her hair. It took forever to get her hair dry and styled to her satisfaction.Now, what to wear tonight? She pulled out a lovely new two piece silk ensemble. The skirt was cranberry red, ankle length, long and gauzy, with a slit up the left side. The top was cranberry and white, with lose narrow straps, and a plunging V neck line. The top showed two inches of midriff. She wore comfortable, leather sandals on her feet..

She added a long string of faux pearls, put on her tear drop emerald earrings and popped in her contact lenses. She went a little heavier on the makeup than usual. She wasn’t sure why. Maybe she was trying to create a new persona. Someone who wouldn’t be afraid to go out to that store at nine tonight and deliver the package that was making her so uncomfortable.

Once again Destiny thought about opening the package but she was afraid.What if it was truly some heavy shit? What if it was something that could get her killed? She decided to play the role that she had been assigned. She would play the innocent fool. She wouldn’t stir the soup. If she was doing something wrong and got caught, well, ignorance and innocence would be on her side. She had no ties to San Angeles Island. She had no motive to spy. And obviously she wasn’t making any money doing it. So she must be innocent.

Destiny tried to calm herself. She told herself she was overreacting. She reminded herself that this was a simple favor for an old, eccentric woman.There was nothing to worry about.

Suddenly Destiny was starving. She realized she hadn’t eaten a thing since the snack on her plane that morning. She was looking forward to some seafood.I’ll see food and eat it she laughed. She rode the elevator down to the mezzanine and decided to walk down the grand staircase to the lobby. She did so using her best Scarlet O’Hara imitation.

She passed by the bar without glancing in. She missed seeing Colonel Rodriguez stare appreciatively as he watched her float by on a cloud of cranberry silk.

Destiny entered the restaurant and was ushered to a table that gave her a sideways view of the ocean and a clear view of the stage. The thunder storm was already ancient history. Destiny ordered a rum and coke and stared idly out the window. There was a board walk and a sidewalk café adjacent to the restaurant. Further out was more beach and far off to the left was a colorful pier. It was getting on towards evening and the shadows were lengthening. The smell of wonderfully cooked seafood was in the air, a pleasant torture to Destiny as hungry as she was.

“You are not venturing out to one of our more exotic restaurants?” a deep voice said to Destiny from behind.

Destiny jumped. “You’re like a cat! she said, in feigned anger. You shouldn’t creep up on people like that.” Destiny did think, again, that he was like a cat. A well turned out black panther. Dangerous and exotic. She grinned at him, glad for his company. He was also solid and, well, she thought,nice.

“I’m not a cat” Rodriguez growled, returning her smile, they do not allow animals in to this restaurant. “Are you here for dinner?”

“Yes,” Destiny said. “I had a nice tussle with the ocean and a nap on the beach and now I’m starving. I hope the food is as good as it smells.”

“It is,” he replied. “You didn’t swim? You tussled?”

“Yes. Your surf was a little stronger that I thought it would be and it pushed me around a little. I came up coughing and blowing but I enjoyed myself. I love the ocean.” I wouldn’t trade it for a backyard pool for all the pearls in the sea.”

“I love the ocean as well, may I sit?” the Colonel asked politely.

“Yes, please do.”

A waiter who had been perched nearby now walked over to the table. He brought two menus.

“Oh, no,” said Destiny to the waiter, “I mean, he just came over to talk, I’m sure the Colonel has plans for dinner,”Don’t have plans for dinner Destiny willed with all of her heart.

“Its Juan,” the Colonel said, “and as it turns out I do not have plans for dinner. May I join you? I, too have worked up an appetite this afternoon.”

“Please join me, Juan. I’d like the company.” Destiny felt light headed with pleasure. Nothing like this had ever happened to her before in her staid existence in Washington, DC. She felt so alive. She felt like she was awakening from a very long and confusing dream.

“What would you like to eat, Destiny,” Juan asked. He caressed her name with his tongue.

“I love seafood. But I don’t know what the island specialties are,” Destiny said. “Do you have any suggestions?”

“Do you like hot food, or plain?”

“I like hot, but not so as to overwhelm the taste of the dish. I want to savor my prawns, linger over sweet succulent crab meat. Destiny closed her eyes at the thought...

INTERLUDE

Destiny was lying in a heap at the base of the ski lift. It was late afternoon and viciously cold. It was beginning to snow.

She managed to pull herself out of harms way, determine she was unhurt from her unceremonious dismount from the lift and make her way to the top of the descent.Now what? She wondered resignedly. Last thing she knew she was contemplating prawns under Colonel Rodriguez’ steady gaze and here she was on top of a mountain in a snow storm. With skis on her feet, for Christ’s sakes. She’d only skied once before in her life and that was long ago.How on earth am I going to get down this hill without killing myself, Destiny thought desperately.

“You look like you’ve never seen a ski slope before,” a voice came from behind. Destiny jumped. “I’m sorry, I didn’t mean to startle you. I couldn’t help see your dismount from the lift. I thought you might need help.”

Destiny turned to look at her rescuer. He was slight of stature. His hair was brownish blond with gold highlights. His eyes were dark brown and glittery. He looked like he owned the ski slope. Flakes were coming down fast now.

“What do you think?” he asked, “should we descend?”

“I don’t know how to ski,” Destiny stammered in confused embarrassment.. “I don’t know what I was thinking coming up here.”

“We all do stupid things from time to time,” the man said, unconcerned.” “I’ll bring you down the slope like you are my daughter.” “You can ride in front of me. We’ll go nice and slowly. You’ll get the feel of things. Just let the skis do the work. Do you ice skate?” He asked.

“Yes, occasionally.”

“Good.” Pretend the skis are very long skates. Use the edges. But bend your knees and spread you feet apart. Now turn your feet inwards, like a pigeon.. He took position behind Destiny. He encircled her with his arms. His ski pole was in front of her.

“Hang on to my ski pole with both hands, Destiny” She wondered vaguely how he knew her name. “We’ll snow plow down. “When I push left, lean left, when I go right, lean right. Work with me.” She did as he said, comforted to have such an apparent expert with her. They started down the hill slowly, zigzagging across the ski run. The man had to steady her, and a couple of times he literally held her up while she found her feet. But the rhythm of his body, swaying this way and that, and his steadying voice in her ears, calmed her. She began to catch on and laughed aloud in delight.This was what skiing was all about. It was like flying, she thought, giddily. They glided down the mountain as one, the wind screaming at them on their way. They picked up speed. Down and down they flew. “You see, wecan work together, Destiny,” the man whispered in her ear. She was disconcerted by the voice. She closed her eyes and reality twisted again...

Chapter XX

“I can pick you out a fine meal,” Rodriguez offered.” Destiny looked around in confusion.

“Is something wrong?” the Colonel asked, troubled.

“No, no, “I’m fine. I little chilly,” she shivered.

“May I order for you?” the Colonel repeated.

“Yes, I’d like that,” Destiny said, happy to put herself into his hands.

Not too hot, not too tame, Juan pondered the menu.And fresh, crisp white wine

for the palate.

Destiny barely listened to the Colonel’s choices as he gave them to the waiter in Spanish. The waiter was cheered by the Colonel’s expensive taste in food and wine.

Juan felt a thrill of excitement course through him as he glanced at Destiny through hooded eyes.What is it about this woman, he wondered, as they waited for their meal to arrive.She hasn’t led an exciting life. She’s a bureaucrat, for God’s sake, a government lawyer. But something about her stirred him as he hadn’t been stirred since the very beginning of his disastrous relationship with Nicoletta.

His relationship with Nicky had started out fun and exciting. She had been a singer on a cruise ship that came to port on San Angeles Island. She was petite, blond and full of fire and ice. Her voice had been surprising: a low, dark smoky contralto. One expected a soprano from a face and body like Nicky’s. She knocked men off their feet when she belted out old love songs and pop tunes.

They’d had a very heated affair. When he first heard her sing he pulled some strings with a friend who owned the largest casino on the island and got her a great booking. He’d never told her he was behind the offer. She thought she’d gotten the job by reputation alone.

He’d gone to see her night after night, waiting in the background. He courted her with large bouquets of roses and small gifts. For the first few weeks that they’d dated he’d left her with a chaste kiss at her doorstep, wanting him. He’d wanted her, too, but he had also wanted to savor the innocent courtship.